141- Lee tFR/ Moss SR
149- Zain SR
157- Nolf JR
165- Joseph SO
174- Hall SO
184- Nickal JR
197- McCutcheon SR/ Cassar SO
HWT- Nevills JR

Line-up is basically set. Two questions - 41 and 97. I think Cael will start Nick out on RS and let senior Moss start out the year. If needed, shirt can come off, but just my hunch based on how Cael has operated the past couple of years. 97 I'm only bringing up because Cassar has got that p-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l. Still think it's Matt's spot. Expecting others to redshirt (Manville, AJ, Berge)

2018-19:
125- Suriano JR
133- Cortez SR
141- Lee FR/SO
149- Berge FR/ Pipher SO
157- Nolf SR
165- Joseph JR/ Manville FR
174- Hall JR
184- Nickal SR/ Rasheed SR
197- Nickal SR/ Cassar JR/ Rasheed SR
HWT- Nevills SR

Zain leaves :(. Matt leaves :(. Lee hits the line-up for sure. Berge says he wants to go 49 but we'll see if he can actually stay that low. Every freshman coming in will likely redshirt, only guy I can see making the lineup is a situation where RBY comes in and beats out Lee, but that's a tough scenario to call right now and I don't know if you'd even want him to go if that did happen.

Realizing the hit in 2020 is going to hurt losing 5 awesome senior starters. However, we'll probably be able to add in some fresh talent - RBY at 33, Lee at 57. Maybe Manville gets huge and fits in at 84. Or Wittlake could just take the spot. AJ could see Heavyweight (maybe stays 97 and his brother or other heavyweight comes in to start).

Either way, two title contending (dare I say probable favorite) line-ups. Lots of firepower and it remains a great time to be a Nittany Lion fan.

Reactions: bwfight
It's called reload.

Here is what's coming. Obviously its weak projections but it's a full cupboard with two open weights. None of these kids are on campus yet.

125 Adam McHenry ???
133 Roman Bravo Young
141 Adam Busiello
149 Nick Lee
157 Joe Lee
165 Brady Berge
174 Mason Manville
184 Travis Wittlake
197 AJ Nevills
285 Seth Nevills ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
Alright I know this is all you actually care about o_O

2017-18:
125- Suriano SO
133- Cortez JR
141- Lee tFR/ Moss SR
149- Zain SR
157- Nolf JR
165- Joseph SO
174- Hall SO
184- Nickal JR
HWT- Nevills JR

Line-up is basically set. Two questions - 41 and 97. I think Cael will start Nick out on RS and let senior Moss start out the year. If needed, shirt can come off, but just my hunch based on how Cael has operated the past couple of years. 97 I'm only bringing up because Cassar has got that p-o-t-e-n-t-i-a-l. Still think it's Matt's spot. Expecting others to redshirt (Manville, AJ, Berge)

2018-19:
125- Suriano JR
133- Cortez SR
141- Lee FR/SO
149- Berge FR/ Pipher SO
157- Nolf SR
174- Hall JR
HWT- Nevills SR

Zain leaves :(. Matt leaves :(. Lee hits the line-up for sure. Berge says he wants to go 49 but we'll see if he can actually stay that low. Every freshman coming in will likely redshirt, only guy I can see making the lineup is a situation where RBY comes in and beats out Lee, but that's a tough scenario to call right now and I don't know if you'd even want him to go if that did happen.

Realizing the hit in 2020 is going to hurt losing 5 awesome senior starters. However, we'll probably be able to add in some fresh talent - RBY at 33, Lee at 57. Maybe Manville gets huge and fits in at 84. Or Wittlake could just take the spot. AJ could see Heavyweight (maybe stays 97 and his brother or other heavyweight comes in to start).

Either way, two title contending (dare I say probable favorite) line-ups. Lots of firepower and it remains a great time to be a Nittany Lion fan.
Any chance that they redshirt Hall like they did with Zain in one of the next 2 years creating a spot for Manville or Rasheed?

Not sure if you guys have seen it yet, but you can project out 3 full seasons on WrestleStat.

When you're on the school profile page, (you can't do this from your phone though.....unless you know the trick), on the left there should be a bunch of links for past and future profile pages.

You have to be signed in to view them, but it's all definitely free.

2017 - 2018: http://www.wrestlestat.com/season/2018/team/60/penn-state/profile

2018 - 2019: http://www.wrestlestat.com/season/2019/team/60/penn-state/profile

2019 - 2020: http://www.wrestlestat.com/season/2020/team/60/penn-state/profile

At the Penn State Wrestling Club Maryland prematch Q&A with Casey, he said AJ Nevills has been wrestling at the NLWC but was no longer a 197 and is now a 285.

At the Penn State Wrestling Club Maryland prematch Q&A with Casey, he said AJ Nevills has been wrestling at the NLWC but was no longer a 197 and is now a 285.

Was that just a redshirt thing, or is that the plan going forward?

Bo's going to need to be more of a 197 to be competitive internationally at 86kg. If he is comfortable doing it next year (no real hurry if '20 is the goal) it opens 184 back up for Cutch's senior season. We could be even more formidable if everything aligns in this regard.

interesting about AJ... Hadn't heard that.

Would Seth arrive to compete with his brother???

I wish the NCAA would sanction a 220 lb class.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Was that just a redshirt thing, or is that the plan going forward?

My understanding from what Casey said is that the situation with AJ was sort of in flux. There may not be a firm plan at present. But it was pretty clear that AJ had outgrown 197.

Casey did say the plan was to win the Maryland match, win the OkState match, win B1Gs and win Nationals. :)

The funniest takeaway was Casey saying that some people think Penn State has a bunch of studs and the coaches just put them out on the mat to win championships. He said there *are* a bunch of studs but there's a lot more to the process of winning championships.

Last edited:
Its even more difficult when a team has enormous talent... beyond just meeting expectations of national champions, its in the room where the real competition is and where the real managing, mentoring, and measuring takes place. The meets are almost secondary to inside. That's priceless for those of you who have that privilege to observe.

Here's my wild stab at projected lineups for next 3 years (assuming we land Big Snacks commitment):

17-18:
125 Suriano
133 Cortez
141 N Lee
149 Zain
157 Nolf
165 Joseph
174 Hall
184 Nickal
197 Cassar
285 N. Nevills
Redshirt: Manville, Berge

18-19:
125 Suriano
133 RBY
141 Cortez
149 Berge
157 Nolf
165 Joseph
174 Hall
184 Manville
197 Nickal
285 N. Nevills
Redshirt: S. Nevills, Whitlake, N. Lee, J. Lee

19-20:
125 Suriano
133 RBY/Busiello
141 RBY/Busiello
149 N. Lee
157 Berge
165 Joseph
174 Hall
184 Manville
197 Whitlake
285 S. Nevills

I don't see Joe Lee making the lineup in 19-20 after a redshirt year, unless he can beat at Berge for 157. I see him cracking the lineup at 165 in 20-21 after Joseph graduates.

I know projecting Manville at 84 sounds preposterous, but before you kill me, let me add a few points:
1. He's not going to be able to go back to 49 or 57, even 65 may be difficult for him in two years.
2. After a redshirt year, I'd assume that ideally he'd slot in at 74, but I'd assume Mr. Hall is locked in there for the next 3 years (unless he wants to take a shirt).
3. Yes, Mason would be very undersized for 84. But in the next two years, if he wants to crack the lineup, I'm not sure what other options he'd have (unless Mark redshirts).

My understanding from what Casey said is that the situation with AJ was sort of in flux. There may not be a firm plan at present. But it was pretty clear that AJ had outgrown 197.

Casey did say the plan was to win the Maryland match, win the OkState match, win B1Gs and win Nationals. :)

The funniest takeaway was Casey saying that some people think Penn State has a bunch of studs and the coaches just put them out on the mat to win championships. He said there *are* a bunch of studs but there's a lot more to the process of winning championships.

Thanks for sharing those insights! I do like Caseys plan for the next 6 weeks!

Last edited:
Alright I know this is all you actually care about o_O

2017-18:
125- Suriano SO
133- Cortez JR
141- Lee tFR/ Moss SR
149- Zain SR
157- Nolf JR
165- Joseph SO
174- Hall SO
184- Nickal JR
HWT- Nevills JR

2018-19:
125- Suriano JR
133- Cortez SR
141- Lee FR/SO
149- Berge FR/ Pipher SO
157- Nolf SR
174- Hall JR
HWT- Nevills SR

Bo will remain at 84 the next 2 years....Cassar will be at 197..Man if he would have had a couple more weeks live he would be at 197 now...Like Cael said he is for REAL....

Bo will remain at 84 the next 2 years....Cassar will be at 197..Man if he would have had a couple more weeks live he would be at 197 now...Like Cael said he is for REAL....
How many more weeks would he need live in the room if he has to throw t-shirts underhand?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT