141: Beau DEC (freshman) Lee (toss-up)
149: Zain MD Van Ness
157: Nolf DEC Levi
165: Joseph DEC Facundo
174: Starocci DEC Hall (toss-up)
184: Nickal DEC Brooks (toss-up)
197: Dean DEC Rasheed (toss-up)
285: Kerkvliet DEC Nevills

I score that 16-15 for the 2017-2018 squad, but four complete toss-ups. And does RBY major Keener? Does Nolf major Levi?

Last edited:
I’ll start with the 2017-2018 team:

125: Kuhn DEC Steen
133: RBY DEC Keener

I score that 16-15 for the 207-2018 squad, but four complete toss-ups. And does RBY major Keener? Does Nolf major Levi?
That is a fair assessment of the two squads. I think Dean beating Rasheed is more likely than a toss-up though. I also have no doubt RBY toys with Keener and can name the score.

I’ll start with the 2017-2018 team:

125: Kuhn DEC Steen
133: RBY DEC Keener

I score that 16-15 for the 207-2018 squad, but four complete toss-ups. And does RBY major Keener? Does Nolf major Levi?
I think RBY majors Keener. Nolf is my favorite PSU wrestler of all time but I don’t think he bonuses Levi. I also don’t think it would be super tight. The match I want to see the most is absolutely Nickal vs AB followed by Hall vs Carter. Both matchups would be fire!

Reactions: mcpat and nitlion6
2011-2012 vs 2022-2023

125: Megaludis MD Steen
133: RBY TF Martellotti
141: Beau DEC Pearsall
149: Molinaro DEC Van Ness
157: Haines DEC Alton (toss-up)
165: Taylor TF Facundo
174: Ruth DEC Starocci (toss-up)
184: Brooks DEC Wright (toss-up)
197: Dean DEC (freshman) McIntosh
285: Kerkvliet DEC Wade

I have the 2022-2023 squad winning this one 20-15. Which is interesting since the 2011-2012 squad was the 2nd highest point scorer among Cael led teams at NCAAs. Shows the value of bonus points at NCAAs.

2016-2017 vs 2022-2023

125: Suriano MD Steen
133: RBY TF Carpenter
141: Bartlett DEC Guilibon
157: Nolf DEC Haines
197: Dean DEC McCutcheon

I have this one 17-17 and I can’t begin to predict who wins on most match points scored.

I think the 16/17 version of Zain TFs SVN. Out of his 28 matches, 25 were falls or TFs. That includes every postseason match.

I'm a big SVN fan, but I don't think he wrestles a style that does him any favors against Zain.

2018-2019 vs 2022-2023

125: Steen DEC Schnupp
133: RBY (Sr) DEC RBY (Fr)
141: Lee DEC Bartlett (toss-up)
149: Van Ness DEC Berge
184: Brooks DEC Rasheed
197: Bo Dec Dean
285: Cassar DEC Kerkvliet (toss-up)

I have it at 5-5, with the 2019 squad having bonus potential at 157 and 197. Brooks has a possible MD at 185, but bonus points are hard to come by for either team.

My prediction for 2023 vs 2017
Suriano TF Steen (don't see how Gary avoids going over, could be a pin)
RBY TF Carpenter (Carpenter isn't getting pinned, he's a fighter)
Bartlett DEC Gulibon (if Jimmy is at his best, he can make this interesting)
Zain TF Van Ness (love Shayne but basically everyone got cranked over by Zain that year including Sorensen by the end, he was on a mission)
Nolf DEC Haines (this one I struggle with, Nolf seemed to throw all rules out over who he can bully but Haines somewhat reminds me of a young Kemerer defensively, I think he can withstand the onslaught enough to lose a near major)
Cenzo DEC Facundo (pretty vanilla match overall, Cenzo probably wins one of his controlled decisions 6-3)
Starocci DEC Hall (I'm taking an experienced Star over a rookie Mark)
Bo DEC Brooks (though honestly, after Coleman put Brooks on his back, you never know with Bo, that's how special he is with his funk but I think Bo beating Gabe Dean in a grind it out match gives him the clear upper hand here)
Dean DEC Mouse (I think Cutch gives him a fight)
Kerkvliet DEC Nevills (I could be selling Kerk short since he pinned Nevills in free as a freshman but I respect Nick too much here to predict a bonus loss, Kerk does settle and cruise on the ride sometimes)

2017 19
2023 17

It's close but bonus wins it for 2017

Zain TF Van Ness (love Shayne but basically everyone got cranked over by Zain that year including Sorensen by the end, he was on a mission)
Nolf DEC Haines (this one I struggle with, Nolf seemed to throw all rules out over who he can bully but Haines somewhat reminds me of a young Kemerer defensively, I think he can withstand the onslaught enough to lose a near major)
Cenzo DEC Facundo (pretty vanilla match overall, Cenzo probably wins one of his controlled decisions 6-3)
Bo DEC Brooks (though honestly, after Coleman put Brooks on his back, you never know with Bo, that's how special he is with his funk but I think Bo beating Gabe Dean in a grind it out match gives him the clear upper hand here)
Kerkvliet DEC Nevills (I could be selling Kerk short since he pinned Nevills in free as a freshman but I respect Nick too much here to predict a bonus loss, Kerk does settle and cruise on the ride sometimes)

2017 19
2023 17

I mostly agree with you except, if the match starts at 125, and is 19-14 going into 285, Kerk would be hunting bonus, not winning a controlled ride out.

2017 19
2023 17

Of Suriano's 16 wins that year, only 2 were by fall and only 2 were by TF. 7 were by MD. I'm not arguing your TF prediction; only explaining my MD prediction.

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't care what year they are in, Nick Lee and Bartlett is not a toss up.

2018-2019: Nick Lee 31-4, 3rd at Bigs, 5th at NCAAs, 24 bonus wins.
2022-2023: Beau Bartlett 27-3, 3rd at Bigs, 3rd at NCAAs, 10 bonus wins.

Lee definitely gets style points for his nonstop attack, but I think 2023 Beau could slow the match down enough to keep it close against 2019 Lee.

2020 through 2022, Nick would win comfortably against this version of Beau. Hopefully, BB will make a similar jump in levels next year.

Reactions: zzs006 and mcpat
Beau just finished 3rd at Nationals. Not sure everyone knows that.
some people take the Ricky Bobby life mantra! If you aint first you’re last. And I am not responsible for the typo in the meme!

Will Ferrell Boast GIF
200.gif

More on Beau…

3 losses were:

- By decision to NCAA Champ
- By decision to NCAA runner-up
- By decision to NCAA 6th place finisher

Some of his wins:

- NCAA 4th place finisher (2x)
- NCAA 5th place finisher (2x including a Major)
- NCAA 7th place finisher
- NCAA 8th place finisher (2x)
- NCAA R12/3rd seed
- NCAA R12
- NCAA R16 (2x)
- And 7 more wins over 6 other NQs

Dude had himself a GREAT season.

I think Beau can beat either 2018 or 2019 Nick Lee. Nick jumped levels after his sophomore year (not unlike Beau) but freshman and even sophomore year, he still had a tendency to take sloppy shots with his pace (and get out of position defensively, especially freshman year) and I think Beau would counter a few of those. But by 2020, he started combining his tenacity and pace with technical perfection and became a 2x Champ.

Sorry if this has been answered here or elsewhere, but is the 2022-23 team the first to achieve the "triple crown" of undefeated duals, B1G tournament, and NCAA Tournament champions?

Sorry if this has been answered here or elsewhere, but is the 2022-23 team the first to achieve the "triple crown" of undefeated duals, B1G tournament, and NCAA Tournament champions?
The 2018-2019 team won all 3. Not sure about other years but thinking the 2013-14 team did too.

Reactions: royboy and danoftw
2015-2016
2018-2019
2022-2023

All achieved the triple crown.

Interesting that these three squads had 2, 3 and 2 individual national champions, respectively. Four other Cael-led PSU teams had 4 or 5 individual national champions but none of them achieved the triple crown.

Last edited:
More on Beau…

3 losses were:

Some of his wins:

- NCAA R12/3rd seed
- NCAA R12
- NCAA R16 (2x)

That's pretty impressive. Thanks for listing this.

Reactions: mcpat
2016-2017 vs 2022-2023

I have this one 17-17 and I can’t begin to predict who wins on most match points scored.
I am pretty sure you can put a 1st period pin for Suriano against Steen! That would be a snack for Nick!

2016-2017 vs 2022-2023

That version of Nolf would major a true freshman Haines, he might even pin him.

2016-2017 vs 2022-2023

I think Kerk probably majors Nevills most nights.

I've seen Nick Nevills perform pretty well under similar circumstances one time. Not sure where...

giphy.gif
Yeah, I wouldn’t say I’d guarantee that Kerk would be able to get the bonus points he needs, just that, if that were the circumstance of the dual, he wouldn’t be looking to just ride out a regular decision.

More on Beau…

3 losses were:

Some of his wins:

- NCAA R12/3rd seed
- NCAA R12
- NCAA R16 (2x)

He definitely should drop to 133.

Put it this way, I know transitive property doesn't always work but if Kerk wasn't bonusing Christian Lance or Trent Hillger, I don't think he bonuses Nevills, who I put above both tbh.

All I know is that one of my former coworkers who was Blue and White as they come passed away unexpectedly last week. I just left the funeral home and people are tailgating in the parking lot wearing blue and white and flying a Penn State flag. We are!

Last edited:
2015-2016
2018-2019
2022-2023

All achieved the triple crown.

Interesting that these three squads had 2, 3 and 2 individual national champions, respectively. Four other Cael-led PSU teams had 4 or 5 individual national champions but none of them achieved the triple crown.
The team is moving like a “tremendous machine”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT