ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State’s 10 Best Wrestlers in History

Meanwhile, Carter Starocci be...
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Well, if we say PSU wrestlers ( what they did in college ), Nolf and Bo are three timers who were runner up. Ruth is a 3 timer who was 3rd, right? Then Zain as a 3 timer who was fifth. Then the two timers......get into line and it is a pretty short list of some very impressive guys.

Now splitting hairs on who is #1, I go with Nolf only because he lost to IMAR who I believe has a better overall resume than the guy Bo lost to, Myles Martin. IMAR was a four time finalist and won twice.

Carter and Aaron could be the best of the bunch. They should be better. As the Penn State Family Tree grows, there are more and amazing guys to workout with. They have an army of All Americans to roll with......then we bring in other studs just to mix things up.

Reactions: drock1971
Zain went undefeated for three straight seasons, which none of the others did. Who, besides Cael, went undefeated for three straight seasons? [Edit: ionel on themat.com forum said this back in 2020 regarding three straight undefeated seasons: Uetake, McCready (80% pin), Rex Perry, Arndt, VanBebber were all 3x undefeated NCAA champs. Koll, Nelson, Young also 3x, think one of them had a loss] I did not research what ionel posted. Jason obviously would have had three straight undefeated seasons had it not been for the injury default to Van Brill. Absent that injury default, Jason would lead Penn State in career win percentage.

Choosing a top five for me is almost impossible. Zain was a relentless punisher. He was one of the very few college wrestlers I just couldn't wait to see in the top position. David's technical prowess, top game and offensive output were a thing of beauty. As far as Ed, I have never seen anyone make wrestling look so effortless. It was like he could just switch to another gear whenever he needed. Jason's wrestling IQ, relentless pace, offensive output and calmness on the mat were such a rare combination. Bo's variety of attacks, his ability to wrestle both upper body and traditional leg attacks, his high level of proprioception and his ability to be at his best in the biggest of moments made his college career so special. All I can say is that all of us college wrestling fans have been blessed to watch all of these guys wrestle!

Last edited:
Zain went undefeated for three straight seasons, which none of the others did. Who, besides Cael, went undefeated for three straight seasons? Jason obviously would have had it not been for the injury default to Van Brill. Absent that injury default, Jason would lead Penn State in career win percentage. Choosing a top five for me is almost impossible. Zain was a relentless punisher. He was one of the very few college wrestlers I just couldn't wait to see in the top position. David's technical prowess, top game and offensive output were a thing of beauty. As far as Ed, I have never seen anyone make wrestling look so effortless. It was like he could just switch to another gear whenever he needed. Jason's wrestling IQ, relentless pace, offensive output and calmness on the mat were such a rare combination. Bo's variety of attacks, his ability to wrestle both upper body and traditional leg attacks, his high level of proprioception and his ability to be at his best in the biggest of moments made his college career so special. All I can say is that all of us college wrestling fans have been blessed to watch all of these guys wrestle!
It has to be DT for me. He paved the way and was the original bonus machine.. not to mention what he did after college and his continued impact on PSU wrestling.

Nolf was so unique in trying to score from any position. Bo was always looking for the big move to the back. Zain was a meat grinder.
Taylor was just technically superior than his opponents with one slip up against Bubba. Ruth was just blessed with a unique physic that created leverage and torque that most guys didn't have at his weight.
If they all weighed the same I think I bet on Taylor to win most decisions in a round robin.

Reactions: lockhavenlion3
Nolf was so unique in trying to score from any position. Bo was always looking for the big move to the back. Zain was a meat grinder.
Taylor was just technically superior than his opponents with one slip up against Bubba. Ruth was just blessed with a unique physic that created leverage and torque that most guys didn't have at his weight.
If they all weighed the same I think I bet on Taylor to win most decisions in a round robin.
Since Zain was insanely dominant on top most folks just consider him one dimensional but he was just as good on his feet as any of these guys. No one cleared out a weight class like Zain Train, he’s my #1.

Reactions: papa_ed and gptakba
If Carter wins out he will be one of a kind.
2 losses, 5 titles, that‘s GOAT territory and easily PSUGOAT.
It will depends on how and who he beat too imo… he would had an extra year.. bo, Zain, nolf, Ruth prolly all be 4x wit extra year.. and if no Dake then DT prolly 4xer too

I’m prob going to contradict my own previous posts on this, but I think, right now, I give the edge to Nolf. The only guy he ever lost to (ignoring an injury default) he also pinned. The losses were as close as it gets and were as a freshman in the Big Ten and NCAA finals. He’s second to only Taylor on career bonus percent with a pretty sizable gap on 3rd.

I often wonder if Zain would have been a 4-timer if he had redshirted and if Ruth would have been a 4-timer had he not gotten hurt on Friday at NCAAs.

I don’t know how you choose 2nd between DT, Zain, Ruth and Nickal. I can make arguments for each. DT has had the best international career but it took him some years to get there (and I think Nolf can get there). Zain had the three undefeated seasons. I’d prob give the edge to Taylor on the bonus point percentage.

Edit: Shout out to McCoy who went 131-1 at HWT after his true freshman season at 190.

Nolf by a hair over Zain. Bo third. By request, currently holding beers for Starocci and Brooks.
Have to take into account that ZR wrestled as a true freshman. Also let’s look at results of Zain vs Pantaleo and Nolf vs Pantaleo ….

Here is an interesting thought. Would anyone being discussed be considered the greatest wrestler in the history of:

Iowa - possibly
Iowa St - No
Oklahoma St - No
Ohio St - No
Cornell - No
Oklahoma - No
Wisconsin - Maybe

We still have work to do!

Why not O$U and maybe Wis. Striebler was 21 when he won his first title. As a comparison Lee Kemp was 18 when he started as a true freshman was out of college winning a world title at 21. When I think about greatest of all time the margin is razor thin so for me a guy like Kemp with 4 finals 3 titles beats out old man Steibler.
I would have a few PSU wrestlers above Old Man Streibler.

Have to take into account that ZR wrestled as a true freshman. Also let’s look at results of Zain vs Pantaleo and Nolf vs Pantaleo ….
Quentin also wrestled as a true freshman. That makes a big difference when comparing them to the guys that took a redshirt in their 1st year. Does anybody have the numbers of the top ten or so who scored the most team points at NCAA?

Why not O$U and maybe Wis. Striebler was 21 when he won his first title. As a comparison Lee Kemp was 18 when he started as a true freshman was out of college winning a world title at 21. When I think about greatest of all time the margin is razor thin so for me a guy like Kemp with 4 finals 3 titles beats out old man Steibler.
Stieber

I like your thinking but with this thinking where do you put Dake on GOAT list, isnt he the only 4x who didnt RS?

Last edited:
If only they had faced each other, so we could compare.
I don’t know about anyone else, but I found that match super unsatisfying though. The subjectivity of some freestyle calls remains the style’s biggest weakness, and an 8 pt swing on one is just nuts. I don’t think there’s any question that DT has ascended to the highest level of ability of all our guys. But I just can’t rank these guys, just can’t do it.

Quentin had to promise Ed's mother that Q would help Ed and keep an eye on him for Ed's mother to AOK the Penn State adventure.

Where else would he have gone?

Here is an interesting thought. Would anyone being discussed be considered the greatest wrestler in the history of:

Iowa - possibly
Iowa St - No
Oklahoma St - No
Ohio St - No
Cornell - No
Oklahoma - No
Wisconsin - Maybe

We still have work to do!

Iowa - Banach, Brands, McIlravy and whoever PSU puts in there would all be up for discussion. When Spencer wins his 4th argument will be over.

Iowa St - yeah.

OSU - Pat Smith is the first 4xer. A class above any PSU

tOSU - Stieber and Snyder ahead of any PSUer

Cornell - Dake

Oklahoma - Hodge

Wisconsin - Any of the PSU 3xers ahead of Lee Kemp. He was never dominant.

Where else would he have gone?

Iowa - Banach, Brands, McIlravy and whoever PSU puts in there would all be up for discussion. When Spencer wins his 4th argument will be over.

Iowa St - yeah.

OSU - Pat Smith is the first 4xer. A class above any PSU

tOSU - Stieber and Snyder ahead of any PSUer

Cornell - Dake

Oklahoma - Hodge

Wisconsin - Any of the PSU 3xers ahead of Lee Kemp. He was never dominant.
Snyder based upon his college career only, would not be above several PSU champs. He lost during his SR year.

I think it is poetic justice that we can neither determine a clear cut order, nor the top slot. I am pleased with just the list.

A couple of interesting items:

Bo was just a fraction away from being our only 4x'er, where an unfortuitous roll-through not only cost him at least 4 points, but resulted in I believe a 10 point swing in the match, which also cost him his first title. Go back and watch that match and see who really dominated.

Now we have both Carter and Aaron as potential 4x'ers or more. I love them both, but without finishing their careers with a significant increase in bonus % one could argue against either topping the list in 2 more years.

Most will agree, National titles is the ultimate metric; however, in terms of greatness it is hard to ignore a near equal weighting being given to total pins and/or overall bonus %, either of which is a much more consistent measure of 'domination'.

I think it is poetic justice that we can neither determine a clear cut order, nor the top slot. I am pleased with just the list.

A couple of interesting items:

Bo was just a fraction away from being our only 4x'er, where an unfortuitous roll-through not only cost him at least 4 points, but resulted in I believe a 10 point swing in the match, which also cost him his first title. Go back and watch that match and see who really dominated.

Now we have both Carter and Aaron as potential 4x'ers or more. I love them both, but without finishing their careers with a significant increase in bonus % one could argue against either topping the list in 2 more years.

Most will agree, National titles is the ultimate metric; however, in terms of greatness it is hard to ignore a near equal weighting being given to total pins and/or overall bonus %, either of which is a much more consistent measure of 'domination'.
The ultimate metric for me is losses, thats why its so easy for me to have Cael #1, and its not like he only had 83 wins either, 159 MATCHES,let alone WINS will never be reached again (maybe by guys with 5 years) What Cael did doesnt get enough credit in the sports world IMO.

Reactions: horraybeer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT