ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St - WVU prediction thread

That’s like saying there are bad NBA players…even the worst player in the NBA is better than 99% of the population.
What does that have to do with anything? He's being compared to other P5 coaches not the general population.

What does that have to do with anything? He's being compared to other P5 coaches not the general population.
But the majority of people criticizing him are not P5 coaches, but they think they know more than he does.

I understand that WVa has rushed 3 and dropped 8 in recent times but I don't think that's what we'll see next week. I expect at least one LB or DB will be shooting the gaps on most plays.

Their staff should want to stop the run and make inexperienced QB and unproven WRs beat them.

If they did, it would be a wrinkle. Film just doesn't show it from last year.

But the majority of people criticizing him are not P5 coaches, but they think they know more than he does.
All professions can be criticized. The criticism of Brown is that he's not good enough to keep the job he has. He's proven that. Just like I said about Harsin last year. Not saying I should replace them but WVU needs to fire Brown if they want to be successful. This whole "fans can't be critical of coaches" might be your worst argument.

That's not accurate. Many football fans are knowledgeable enough to compare 1 P5 coach to another. Even though, we couldn't come close to doing their job, we know enough to critique it and when someone has a competitive job in the public eye, that is fair.

Good prediction. I don't see any reason why PSU can't score 40 except for the fact that it's the first game and they're not yet in a groove. The number of points given up is more difficult to predict. WVa is supposed to have the best OL on the BiG 12 and our DTs are a bit of a question. But if they can't throw Diaz is going to bring another defender into the box and make things difficult for WVa.
DTs are not a question, many have the group top 5 in the B1G

That's not accurate. Many football fans are knowledgeable enough to compare 1 P5 coach to another. Even though, we couldn't come close to doing their job, we know enough to critique it and when someone has a competitive job in the public eye, that is fair.
But many criticize based on unrealistic expectations or unrealistic opinions of their program.

All professions can be criticized. The criticism of Brown is that he's not good enough to keep the job he has. He's proven that. Just like I said about Harsin last year. Not saying I should replace them but WVU needs to fire Brown if they want to be successful. This whole "fans can't be critical of coaches" might be your worst argument.
Last year they should have beat Pitt but the players blew that one. Then half way through the season they lost their best running back to injury. They easily could have been 7-5 or possibly 8-4, which is about the ceiling for WVU no matter who the coach is, so I would say Brown is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Last year they should have beat Pitt but the players blew that one. Then half way through the season they lost their best running back to injury. They easily could have been 7-5 or possibly 8-4, which is about the ceiling for WVU no matter who the coach is, so I would say Brown is not as bad as you make him out to be.
Name a bad P5 coach as you seemingly think they're all great. Again, a 1-5 start is more likely than 8-4. Brown won't be there in 2024.

Name a bad P5 coach as you seemingly think they're all great. Again, a 1-5 start is more likely than 8-4. Brown won't be there in 2024.
A bad P5 coach is one who takes a strong program with strong recruiting and loses. Not every coach can be judged the same because all the programs are different. Schools like WVU can’t recruit enough depth to have expectations of 11 or 12 win seasons…they can recruit well enough to be competitive and have a shot at beating anyone on their schedule, but they’re not going to beat everyone on their schedule.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
A bad P5 coach is one who takes a strong program with strong recruiting and loses. Not every coach can be judged the same because all the programs are different. Schools like WVU can’t recruit enough depth to have expectations of 11 or 12 win seasons…they can recruit well enough to be competitive and have a shot at beating anyone on their schedule, but they’re not going to beat everyone on their schedule.
Thank you for proving my point.

That 91 opener against Georgia Tech was impressive.
Yeah, if Paterno had a good opponent, the team tended to be prepared. But if it was a cream puff, Paterno would come in with basically no offensive game plan and PSU would have to scratch out a win. It was like the coaches had taken the week off or something. I remember one year against Temple (and this is when Temple was really bad) PSU actually took a safety in the end zone to win a close game.

Perhaps @WV Bruno can confirm, but WV has question marks at QB. Not "can Allar be a 5*" types, but "can either guy we have make due" questions. The older guy can run, which makes me think he'll get the nod, and the Italian is young and unsung.

Their WR room is probably a bigger unknown than ours.

It's up to their RBs and OL to set them up.

As for Allar, he's got as good of a matchup as one can ask for his 1st start. Unless they go off the sheet, they rush 3 and drop 8. They don't always stack the box for runs either. I don't think they have the speed to keep up with KLS nor Evans, who I expect we see going deep early.

Thanks for this. Yeah if there's one place you expect a mismatch it will be the PSU OL against WV DL. And that is a pretty good place to have a mismatch if you're starting a new guy at QB. I'd be really surprised if WVA doesn't have a lot of blitzes prepared because if they don't get pressure on Allar he will carve them up with that arm.

Nobody knows.

The negative: I can't get out of my head the way Michigan bullied their way down the field at will vs PSU. Utah was also eating up yardage on the ground until Rising got hurt. I've read that WVa might have the best OL in the Big 12 and all 3 RBs return. Doesn't sound great for PSU.

The positive: WVa hasn't named a QB and they are pretty weak at other spots. If they're one dimensional Diaz will be coming at them with 9-10 defenders. Things could get ugly for WVa.

I lean more towards the positive but we'll have to wait and see.
Well UM and Utah were both pretty good offensive lines. Michigan's was one of the best the B1G has seen in recent years. WVa OL may be good but PSU has seen better.

Yeah, if Paterno had a good opponent, the team tended to be prepared. But if it was a cream puff, Paterno would come in with basically no offensive game plan and PSU would have to scratch out a win. It was like the coaches had taken the week off or something. I remember one year against Temple (and this is when Temple was really bad) PSU actually took a safety in the end zone to win a close game.
I look at it more so that when Joe was playing an overmatched opponent talent wise he would challenge his team to beat them with basics, without showing any of the critical offense and agressive defense that he would use against better, more talented opponents. His strategy worked pretty good. 409 times it worked......

He just didn't want to show more than he had to.

And he was secretive about his game plans. I remember a reporter asking him a question during his pregame press conf that related to what his strategy would be for the upcoming game, based upon what that reporter observed about the opponents strengths and weaknesses. And Joe raised his voice and responded that that would be revealing his game plan, and that he wouldn't even tell his wife that.........

The BiG crew were certainly high on PSU but I wonder how they can tell how good our OL is based on watching drills.

I doubt PSU will have an OL like Michigan had last year or like Ohio State has probably 2 years out of 4. But the trajectory is good, there's a lot of buzz about Trautwein. It's fair to expect, barring injuries, this will be the best PSU OL in a long time. Some of the best OL are young and in the very rapid part of their development curve.

I look at it more so that when Joe was playing an overmatched opponent talent wise he would challenge his team to beat them with basics, without showing any of the critical offense and agressive defense that he would use against better, more talented opponents. His strategy worked pretty good. 409 times it worked......

He just didn't want to show more than he had to.

Some truth to this, but it could be a costly strategy. Paterno's QBs didn't get the kinds of reps they needed to develop in game action, so they developed slowly and often struggled against good opponents. And playing down to the level of inferior opponents not only led to some unnecessary losses, it physically drained the team and set them up for losses the following week.

Anyway, watch Saturday and I bet Dr. Yurcich will find a way to test young Allar and build his confidence without putting him into too many risky situations.

No that you refuse to criticize any
In comparison to others, some are bad. Including Brown.
I try to be reasonable in my criticism. Brown is not nearly as bad as you’re making him out to be, but I also know that’s part of your routine and that routine is tiresome.

Reactions: marshall23
I try to be reasonable in my criticism. Brown is not nearly as bad as you’re making him out to be, but I also know that’s part of your routine and that routine is tiresome.
There's no routine. Give your honest assessment of Brown's tenure at WVU and consider where they were at when he arrived.

There's no routine. Give your honest assessment of Brown's tenure at WVU and consider where they were at when he arrived.
Brown’s got them about where they’ve been since they joined the Big 12 other than Brown has to deal with NIL and the transfer portal whereas other coaches didn’t have to. They are a decent team that can beat anyone on any given day or lose to any P5 team on any day. They are not an automatic win for any team other than maybe a Georgia or Bama, but they’re also not going to win a NC.

Brown’s got them about where they’ve been since they joined the Big 12 other than Brown has to deal with NIL and the transfer portal whereas other coaches didn’t have to. They are a decent team that can beat anyone on any given day or lose to any P5 team on any day. They are not an automatic win for any team other than maybe a Georgia or Bama, but they’re also not going to win a NC.
"About where they've been" is a reach as you know. They've fallen off since Brown joined. That's a reality just like the portal and NIL is a reality. Handling those are part of his job.

"About where they've been" is a reach as you know. They've fallen off since Brown joined. That's a reality just like the portal and NIL is a reality. Handling those are part of his job.
Outside of one year, they were at 7 or 8 wins five of the last seven years and four wins in the other…that’s about where they’ve been and that was without NIL and transfer portal. They’ve consistently been a team that can win any game they play, but is not going to be a championship level team, just like they are now. It’s not like Brown has taken them from a championship level team to a MAC level team.

Outside of one year, they were at 7 or 8 wins five of the last seven years and four wins in the other…that’s about where they’ve been and that was without NIL and transfer portal. They’ve consistently been a team that can win any game they play, but is not going to be a championship level team, just like they are now. It’s not like Brown has taken them from a championship level team to a MAC level team.
They haven't finished higher than 5th in the conference she he arrived. They're 14-21 in conference play. They won 7+ games 6 of the 7 years before his arrival all in the Big XII. Haven't done it since. They've dropped significantly. The portal and NIL aren't excuses.

Your premise about Paterno having no offensive game plan in early non conf games does not really hold true in looking at the game results.

I looked at our early non conference games from '99 to '11, the fading years for Joe. For the vast majority of games we won, we won handedly. There were a few exceptions like vs UCF in '02 but they were not a patsy I don't believe. Temple gave us a good game a few years which I think is your central point. In '03 we squeaked by them when we sucked so not sure that proves Joe blew the game off or rather our talent was lousy. Same in 2011 vs Temple so that game could support your point maybe. Also in 2005 we opened vs South Florida and only won 23-13 so that could be an example.

Then there were of course non conf games we lost against decent opponents coupled by us being lousy, Miami in '01, BC in '03 and '04. Pitt in 2000. USC boat racing us in the 2000 Kickoff Classic among others. Then there was the horrific 2000 home loss to Toledo so maybe that is an example of Joe not preparing but given how bad we played vs USC the week before I doubt he thought we would just roll Toledo and not have to do much but maybe. Again we had arguably one of Joe's worst teams in 2000 in his 45 plus years.

There were many games we won convincingly. Maybe we looked real vanilla in those games but we were not "scratching by" in a lot of games where he had a strong, talented team.

just win, baby.

I think this simulation had us losing to Central Michigan last year.
Yep. Same guy. Self admitted Pitt fan. Takes the worst simulation for Penn State and posts that exact one on YouTube, does it every season....has us losing 4 games this year, 5 last year.

Reactions: Obliviax
I'll stick with my prior opinion. PSU will win going away IF can run the ball consistently. By consistently I don't mean Singleton getting 100 yds by virtue of a couple of 40+ yard runs. I mean grinding out first downs and wearing down the WVa defense. This is supposed to be a great OL so we'll see. This could be a game if we can't run the ball consistently. After all, they were good enough to beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last year and they only lost to TCU by 10 pts.

34-17

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT