ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St - WVU prediction thread

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
I have 38-13. WVU gets a garbage time TD against the 3rd and 4th string. What say you?
friends sleep GIF

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I have 38-13. WVU gets a garbage time TD against the 3rd and 4th string. What say you?
friends sleep GIF
With an experienced qb like a Clifford, this game probably would be at least a 20 point or more win. However, I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how Allar or even Pribula perform. With the talent disparity, PSU still should win this game by 14 to 17 points even with a first year starting qb.

43-10. WVU gets a late TD against the 3rd team defense. Diaz will substitue freely and especially in the secondary with the need to get the young CB's game experience.

Reactions: Online Persona
I agree there. Unless it's against 4th quarter D. Even then...

20 to 21 total should be given up all game.
IMO, considering that PSU will be starting a first year qb and the passing game may struggle early, if this defense, which is supposed to be very good, gives up 28 points to which probably will be a very ordinary WVU offense, that game probably will be in doubt well into the fourth quarter.

IMO, considering that PSU will be starting a first year qb and the passing game may struggle early, if this defense, which is supposed to be very good, gives up 28 points to which probably will be a very ordinary WVU offense, that game probably will be in doubt well into the fourth quarter.
If they give up 28 points to this WVU team we might as well start talking about 2024.

I'm thinking they're going to lean on Allen and Singleton heavy to open up passing. Both of those guys are capable of racking up huge yards and breaking a game like this open by themselves. I'll be shocked if they don't both get over 100, assuming one doesn't get injured.

I'll give Allar 15 of 20 for 250+ yards, 2 TD and 1 INT. Solid, but unspectacular performance for 1st game at the helm. I'd also expect much improvement as year goes on.

Reactions: Thomas1945
I'm thinking they're going to lean on Allen and Singleton heavy to open up passing. Both of those guys are capable of racking up huge yards and breaking a game like this open by themselves. I'll be shocked if they don't both get over 100, assuming one doesn't get injured.

I'll give Allar 15 of 20 for 250+ yards, 2 TD and 1 INT. Solid, but unspectacular performance for 1st game at the helm. I'd also expect much improvement as year goes on.
Maybe but WVU has given up a lot through the air. 2022 WVU was #111 in the country in pass defense. Would be a great opportunity to get Allar and the WRs on the same page.

Why will it be a very ordinary offense? They have an outstanding Oline (possibly the best in the conference) and a strong RB room. Their QB may or may not be good, we don’t know yet, and they have a strong WR room. This game is going to be closer than many on here think because WVU is a better opponent than many are giving them credit for.

Why will it be a very ordinary offense? They have an outstanding Oline (possibly the best in the conference) and a strong RB room. Their QB may or may not be good, we don’t know yet, and they have a strong WR room. This game is going to be closer than many on here think because WVU is a better opponent than many are giving them credit for.
WVU was a 4 win team a year ago and 2 of those wins were out of conference creme puffs. Maybe they improved but I doubt they are suddenly the equivalent of a ranked opponent.

WVU's entire starting OL returns as do their top three RBs from last year.

Reactions: Obliviax
Looks like offense wasn't the main problem for WVU, but they didn't face very many good defenses. Their problem was that they couldn't stop anybody themselves.

They brought in a good # of defensive transfers, but it's not like they were beating out the big boys to get them. Even the once-committed-to-us WR Carter, they don't know if he'll be their #1 or just part of the rotation yet from what I've read.

WVU was a 4 win team a year ago and 2 of those wins were out of conference creme puffs. Maybe they improved but I doubt they are suddenly the equivalent of a ranked opponent.
But what they did a year ago means little this year. With the transfer portal teams change year to year….but getting back their entire OLine and that being the strength of the team is a good building block.

Reactions: SR108
As a WVU fan, I think PSU wins the game.
That being said, this team will be an improvement over last year's team.
Having a look at WVU games from 2022:
5 wins last year: @Virginia Tech, Towson, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

7 losses:
@Pitt: if you watched it, you saw WVU blow it in the final moments
Kansas: out-coached WVU with a different scheme and their QB had his coming out party, beat WVU in OT.
@Texas: Longhorns smoked WVU by 18
@Texas Tech: horrible WVU play and coaching lost by 38
TCU: could've defeated the National Runners up. TCU experience closed it out for 10pt win
@Iowa St: perplexing 17pt loss, Neal Brown blew another to a less talented team
Kansas St.: lost by 17 to the Big12 Champs

Three games WVU might have won if they had inserted Garrett Greene in the lineup as QB earlier in the season. Pitt, Kansas and they actually had an opportunity to beat TCU. Could have been an 8 win team with a better coach. Needless to say we are all tired of the Neal Brown mediocrity. He has been given ample opportunities and often seems underprepared and not finishing games. There is good talent on this team, however the depth is an issue on Defense.

I expect WVU's offense to cause PSU some problems. Everyone realizes your Dline is very talented and it will be a nice matchup to observe against a very good OLine.

Your QB play is going to be critical to the game's outcome in my opinion.

I expect
PSU 38
WVU 24

I will be there in lot 36 and sitting in WJ with my wife.

Hope to have a great game and time and hope neither team has any injuries

7 losses:
Kansas: out-coached WVU with a different scheme and their QB had his coming out party, beat WVU in OT.
TCU: could've defeated the National Runners up. TCU experience closed it out for 10pt win

Three games WVU might have won if they had inserted Garrett Greene in the lineup as QB earlier in the season. Pitt, Kansas and they actually had an opportunity to beat TCU. Could have been an 8 win team with a better coach. Needless to say we are all tired of the Neal Brown mediocrity. He has been given ample opportunities and often seems underprepared and not finishing games. There is good talent on this team, however the depth is an issue on Defense.

I expect WVU's offense to cause PSU some problems. Everyone realizes your Dline is very talented and it will be a nice matchup to observe against a very good OLine.

I expect
PSU 38
WVU 24

I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. Just remember if thing’s go bad, you’ll be sitting on a metal bench not a fabric covered couch.

WVa will try to pound the ball behind one of the best OLs in the Big 12 but I don't know if they can do much in the passing game. PSU should be able to slow them down if they are one dimensional.

PSU wins this game unless they turn the ball over. I'm guessing that only happens one time.

PSU 31
WVa 17

Reactions: Online Persona

7 losses:

I expect
PSU 38
WVU 24

Good post. I think Neal Brown's coaching is still going to be an issue. For your sake I hope I'm wrong but to me he's Harsin level bad.

Is that a good thing for them or a bad thing? There must be a reason why they were picked to finish last in their conference.
I would lean toward good. Another year of experience for all. I think the reasons they were picked last are:
1) porous secondary that didn't improve via the portal or remaining roster players
2) Like PSU, new starting QB. Whoever is chosen is less experienced than Allar.
3) Questions about WRs even though they got a really good WR from NC State in the portal. However, their leading WR from last year (Prather) transferred to Maryland.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
First game can be wild and unpredictable. WVU might have a lousy season, but they come in undefeated for this game. The players aren't beaten down like they might be later in the season. Hoping PSU players aren't eating the "rat poison." I don't see a blowout. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

WVU has maybe 1 or 2 OLinemen that would compete to start at PSU. If WVU had an OL that was among the best in the B12 they wouldn't be picked to finish last in the B12.

Their experienced WR's have all moved on and they are assembling a group from the portal, and a couple true freshmen. Most realize that few true freshmen WR's perform well as true freshmen, let alone in their first game.

Their offense struggled against Big12 defenses, non of which can compare with PSU's talent on defense nor Diaz' strategies and aggressiveness.

WVU will be lucky to score a TD against the first team PSU defense. WVU does not have the talent to compete with the PSU roster and particularly the top PSU players, Singleton, Allen, Johnson, Warren, KLS, the experienced PSU oline on offense. And Carter, Jacobs, both Kings, DDS, Isaac, Robinson, and the deep group of DT's and Safety's on defense.

I’ll go one of the three

14-10 good guys (Miami score)
48-14 good guys (Pitt score)
Or 81-0 good guys (cincy score)

Let’s hope not 6-4 good guys (ugliest game outside of the Illini 245 OT game)

WVU has maybe 1 or 2 OLinemen that would compete to start at PSU. If WVU had an OL that was among the best in the B12 they wouldn't be picked to finish last in the B12.

Their experienced WR's have all moved on and they are assembling a group from the portal, and a couple true freshmen. Most realize that few true freshmen WR's perform well as true freshmen, let alone in their first game.

Their offense struggled against Big12 defenses, non of which can compare with PSU's talent on defense nor Diaz' strategies and aggressiveness.

WVU will be lucky to score a TD against the first team PSU defense. WVU does not have the talent to compete with the PSU roster and particularly the top PSU players, Singleton, Allen, Johnson, Warren, KLS, the experienced PSU oline on offense. And Carter, Jacobs, both Kings, DDS, Isaac, Robinson, and the deep group of DT's and Safety's on defense.
I agree except one thing. WVU has a good OL and RBs and I'm not convinced that our DTs can completely shut them down. That's why I think WVU will score more than 7.

I agree except one thing. WVU has a good OL and RBs and I'm not convinced that our DTs can completely shut them down. That's why I think WVU will score more than 7.
I disagree because the PSU LB's will do a much better job against the run than what they did to start the 2022 season. A much more athletic and physical group now, with more talented and experienced depth. For the most part WVU is rebuilding it's passing game and with the talent of PSU's secondary Diaz can load up the LOS and stop the WVU run. And I believe the PSU DT's are also better than what they were in 2022, just the progression of young players maturing via the S&C program and with experience. Together with great progress in S&C by the very athletic and talented DE's as well.

Anyway, it will be an enjoyable 3 hours on Sept 2nd watching PSU talent take on the Hoopies!!

I disagree because the PSU LB's will do a much better job against the run than what they did to start the 2022 season. A much more athletic and physical group now, with more talented and experienced depth. For the most part WVU is rebuilding it's passing game and with the talent of PSU's secondary Diaz can load up the LOS and stop the WVU run. And I believe the PSU DT's are also better than what they were in 2022, just the progression of young players maturing via the S&C program and with experience. Together with great progress in S&C by the very athletic and talented DE's as well.w
E aggressive
Anyway, it will be an enjoyable 3 hours on Sept 2nd watching PSU talent take on the Hoopies!!
I stand by my statement. That said I think WVU could be one dimensional which will allow our back 7 to play more aggressively against the run.

31-10 PSU

WVU gets a meaningless TD at the end. PSU D dominates and DDS has 2 sacks and a couple tfls. Carter is all over the field. The secondary is suffocating.
WVU can do nothing on offense.

On O, Allar has a solid outing but not spectacular, 13-22 for 188 yards. Singleton stars running for roughly a buck 50 and we move the ball well on the ground. Theo and Warren both have big games. KLS is the leading receiver with 5 catches.

By the way, I got my hands on some sports almanac that detailed all of this. Isn't it 2024?

Reactions: GregInPitt
I stand by my statement. That said I think WVU could be one dimensional which will allow our back 7 to play more aggressively against the run.
I believe it will be the front 7 that will play more aggressively against the run. With some help from the Safety's at times as King and Dixon will sometimes be man-to-man with the WVU inexperienced WR's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT