ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St - WVU prediction thread

I'll stick with my prior opinion. PSU will win going away IF can run the ball consistently. By consistently I don't mean Singleton getting 100 yds by virtue of a couple of 40+ yard runs. I mean grinding out first downs and wearing down the WVa defense. This is supposed to be a great OL so we'll see. This could be a game if we can't run the ball consistently. After all, they were good enough to beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last year and they only lost to TCU by 10 pts.

34-17
Not sure where you are getting 17 points for them from...

They do have an above average OLine. I expect them to really test us up the middle. We should get some idea how well our DT’s have improved. They will be ready for all the slants and twists and stunts. I’m sure they watched the Michigan game as well as the Utah game.

They do have an above average OLine. I expect them to really test us up the middle. We should get some idea how well our DT’s have improved. They will be ready for all the slants and twists and stunts. I’m sure they watched the Michigan game as well as the Utah game.
They were 3-6 last year and they are picked last in the Big 12 this year and your worried that they've been watching game tape?

Reactions: GregInPitt
I'll stick with my prior opinion. PSU will win going away IF can run the ball consistently. By consistently I don't mean Singleton getting 100 yds by virtue of a couple of 40+ yard runs. I mean grinding out first downs and wearing down the WVa defense. This is supposed to be a great OL so we'll see. This could be a game if we can't run the ball consistently. After all, they were good enough to beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State last year and they only lost to TCU by 10 pts.

34-17
I'm not sure you understand how predictions work.

With the perceived starting QB being fairly mobile, how our DL plays will be very important, but our LB will get a good test as well. Honestly, I don't think they will have good success unless they play lights out. The athleticism difference is going to be similar to us playing Minnesota or Indiana last year except we should have an improved defense, improved running game, and possibly a much more dangerous passing game if Allar becomes what we hope/expect/believe.

I think we overwhelm WVU early defensively. Think back to our last games of the year. The only thing that was missing in those games was a consistent offense every series. Diaz with a White Out-like crowd is going to be aggressive.

I think many are just scared to believe that we've built up a great team because we might still hit a regular season ceiling of 10-2. WVU doesn't have Michigan's OL. They don't even have Utah's. Unless multiple somebody's craps the bed, I think we dominate the 'eers and get the hype train rolling.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Have we named a starting QB yet?
Apparently he feels no need to but he sure as hell wanted everyone to know there was a QB competition.

"So coach you said there was going to be a QB battle for the starter position, do you have an update on that battle?" Then he gets pissed with that question. Freaky.

With the perceived starting QB being fairly mobile, how our DL plays will be very important, but our LB will get a good test as well. Honestly, I don't think they will have good success unless they play lights out. The athleticism difference is going to be similar to us playing Minnesota or Indiana last year except we should have an improved defense, improved running game, and possibly a much more dangerous passing game if Allar becomes what we hope/expect/believe.

I think we overwhelm WVU early defensively. Think back to our last games of the year. The only thing that was missing in those games was a consistent offense every series. Diaz with a White Out-like crowd is going to be aggressive.

I think many are just scared to believe that we've built up a great team because we might still hit a regular season ceiling of 10-2. WVU doesn't have Michigan's OL. They don't even have Utah's. Unless multiple somebody's craps the bed, I think we dominate the 'eers and get the hype train rolling.
I hope the talk about WVU's offensive line being good is true and our D-Line gets a good test. I don't expect their O Line to be anything close to a Michigan level but maybe Illinois. Looking forward to seeing Durant, DDS snd Chop in action. Also to gauge how much Beamon has improved. Hopefully we dominate their O Line. I do think we will do well vs their OLine and they will struggle to have any meaningful running room. I also think Chop and DDS will make it a nightmare for their QB when he passes. Of course the negative nellies will then say their O-Line was terrible.

They haven't finished higher than 5th in the conference she he arrived. They're 14-21 in conference play. They won 7+ games 6 of the 7 years before his arrival all in the Big XII. Haven't done it since. They've dropped significantly. The portal and NIL aren't excuses.
At WVU they’re not excuses, they’re reality.

At WVU they’re not excuses, they’re reality.
Every team is dealing this those. That is college football today. You have adapt. If you can't you won't be there. Every coach had to deal with those changes. Brown isn't capable of being successful at this stage of his career at a P5 school. He's demonstrated that. The school he's at doesn't alter that.

They were 3-6 last year and they are picked last in the Big 12 this year and your worried that they've been watching game tape?
Not worried, but certainly interested in how our supposed improved DTs do against an above average experienced offensive line and a good running back.

It would really be a positive if we can handle them without needing to move a safety up into the box.

I hope you’re right, but it is the first game against a power 5 team. I remember a lot of people predicting a blow out against Purdue last year which could easily have been a loss.

Being at home at night should be a big advantage. We should win, but It would not surprise me if it is closer than people think. I’m guessing two touchdowns.

I hope you’re right, but it is the first game against a power 5 team. I remember a lot of people predicting a blow out against Purdue last year which could easily have been a loss.

Being at home at night should be a big advantage. We should win, but It would not surprise me if it is closer than people think. I’m guessing two touchdowns.
I remember a lot of people predicted a loss against Purdue on the road. They were a 9 win team the year before and returned more starters than any team in the Big 10 while psu was a young team that had a lot of question marks at positions that we no longer do.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I hope the talk about WVU's offensive line being good is true and our D-Line gets a good test. I don't expect their O Line to be anything close to a Michigan level but maybe Illinois. Looking forward to seeing Durant, DDS snd Chop in action. Also to gauge how much Beamon has improved. Hopefully we dominate their O Line. I do think we will do well vs their OLine and they will struggle to have any meaningful running room. I also think Chop and DDS will make it a nightmare for their QB when he passes. Of course the negative nellies will then say their O-Line was terrible.
Apparently their QB is mobile, which should present an additional challenge. All good in terms of learning gaining experience and preparation for the season ahead, as long as we win.

I remember a lot of people predicted a loss against Purdue on the road. They were a 9 win team the year before and returned more starters than any team in the Big 10 while psu was a young team that had a lot of question marks at positions that we no longer do.
what I remember is that we damn near lost that game. They had 365 yards passing and 426 total yards. In fact, we scored a TD with :57 left to win by 4.

what I remember is that we damn near lost that game. They had 365 yards passing and 426 total yards. In fact, we scored a TD with :57 left to win by 4.
They caught us at the perfect time. They were the most experienced team in the conference and we were one of the youngest. So a visit there in game 1 was maximally to their advantage. And like I said, they weren't just the most returning starters, they were the most returning starters from one of the better seasons that Purdue has had recently. They only finished with 8 wins on the regular season in 2022 but on game 1, they were probably at their best.

Reactions: lazydave841
Penn State’s TE’s are a nightmare matchup for WVU’s LBs and DBs and their play opens up the run game and then the deep passing game. 38-10.

Reactions: Online Persona
They caught us at the perfect time. They were the most experienced team in the conference and we were one of the youngest. So a visit there in game 1 was maximally to their advantage. And like I said, they weren't just the most returning starters, they were the most returning starters from one of the better seasons that Purdue has had recently. They only finished with 8 wins on the regular season in 2022 but on game 1, they were probably at their best.
We weren't prepared for their WR transfer from Iowa who killed us (12 catches for 153 yards) until the 4th quarter when we (finally) adjusted. So, aside from it being a home game, what makes WVU any different? They've got a very good OL and running game. They'll have a new, running, QB. They've got some very good transfers coming in including a 6-7 TE from LSU that was very good. (Kole Taylor) They also got a WR that was going to come to PSU but flipped to WVU named Devin Carter.

If you look at last year's performance, their record is better than it looks. They beat VT, Baylor, OK, OK State and Iowa State. They barely lost to Pitt (gave the game away, really) and TCU (national championship runners-up).

I believe that they are in the MD or Illinois class if they were in the B1G. So while we should win, are more talented, they are also dangerous.

We weren't prepared for their WR transfer from Iowa who killed us (12 catches for 153 yards) until the 4th quarter when we (finally) adjusted. So, aside from it being a home game, what makes WVU any different? They've got a very good OL and running game. They'll have a new, running, QB. They've got some very good transfers coming in including a 6-7 TE from LSU that was very good. (Kole Taylor) They also got a WR that was going to come to PSU but flipped to WVU named Devin Carter.

If you look at last year's performance, their record is better than it looks. They beat VT, Baylor, OK, OK State and Iowa State. They barely lost to Pitt (gave the game away, really) and TCU (national championship runners-up).

I believe that they are in the MD or Illinois class if they were in the B1G. So while we should win, are more talented, they are also dangerous.
They also pulled true freshman WR Gallagher that PSU wanted. I do think they are better than their 2022 record suggests. But they would need to be a whole lot better to give PSU a tight game in Beaver Stadium at night.

So, aside from it being a home game, what makes WVU any different?

1. Opening night '22, Penn State was a team trying to remember how to win against a good team. Coming off 4-5 and 7-6, confidence just wasn't a team strength.

2. We didn't have a great RB. Yet. It was Singleton and Allan's 1st games, so you have their inexperience. Lee was the hero, but his 9/30 rushing saw him get benched.

3. OL was young, no known depth. Coming off 2 years of being a major issue.

4. New defense. Secondary was the strength. LB was expected to be a work in progress. DL was lacking a dominant player. PJ and Issac returning from injuries was an unknown.

5. Clifford. He had a good game, but his worst play almost cost us.

6. Road game. At night. If you listened to Brown's PC, he mentioned it, but alluded that continuing to talk about it was considered whining.

Our team has at least 10 less question marks going into the '23 opener vs '22. As long as our offense is just efficient, we should win big.

1. Opening night '22, Penn State was a team trying to remember how to win against a good team. Coming off 4-5 and 7-6, confidence just wasn't a team strength.

2. We didn't have a great RB. Yet. It was Singleton and Allan's 1st games, so you have their inexperience. Lee was the hero, but his 9/30 rushing saw him get benched.

3. OL was young, no known depth. Coming off 2 years of being a major issue.

4. New defense. Secondary was the strength. LB was expected to be a work in progress. DL was lacking a dominant player. PJ and Issac returning from injuries was an unknown.

5. Clifford. He had a good game, but his worst play almost cost us.

6. Road game. At night. If you listened to Brown's PC, he mentioned it, but alluded that continuing to talk about it was considered whining.

Our team has at least 10 less question marks going into the '23 opener vs '22. As long as our offense is just efficient, we should win big.
all true. But I am just saying that WVU isn't as bad as everyone is saying and will have their "eers" pinned back on Saturday night.

GettyImages-1032021676-e1567031227659.jpg

Nobody knows.

The negative: I can't get out of my head the way Michigan bullied their way down the field at will vs PSU. Utah was also eating up yardage on the ground until Rising got hurt. I've read that WVa might have the best OL in the Big 12 and all 3 RBs return. Doesn't sound great for PSU.

The positive: WVa hasn't named a QB and they are pretty weak at other spots. If they're one dimensional Diaz will be coming at them with 9-10 defenders. Things could get ugly for WVa.

I lean more towards the positive but we'll have to wait and see.
I believe that their top RB transferred.

I don't think it's a matter of people thinking WVU is bad; I think it's a matter of some thinking PSU is going to be very good.
It's both. WVU will be lucky to be 500 and anything less than 10 wins for us is a disappointment. This is a game great teams win with ease.

Reactions: lazydave841
Every team is dealing this those. That is college football today. You have adapt. If you can't you won't be there. Every coach had to deal with those changes. Brown isn't capable of being successful at this stage of his career at a P5 school. He's demonstrated that. The school he's at doesn't alter that.
But many schools won’t be able to adapt regardless of the coach.

45-20. Just watch some guy I think his name is Josh Pate. His forecast is for OSU to win the big ten and getting the no.1 seed. The other seeds as follows: Alabama, Oregon, and ........PENN STATE with Penn state losing to OSU and OSU going on to win the title. Note there is no Georgia and no Michigan

45-20. Just watch some guy I think his name is Josh Pate. His forecast is for OSU to win the big ten and getting the no.1 seed. The other seeds as follows: Alabama, Oregon, and ........PENN STATE with Penn state losing to OSU and OSU going on to win the title. Note there is no Georgia and no Michigan

He's been a fan of us since last year. I'm not sure where he gets his info, but he is usually pretty well informed. Nice to be considered as such.

Michigan losing to OSU at home. Don't see that happening but who knows. I def can see us beating Michigan. How do we make the playoff if we don't win the B10 East, we won't get any breaks.

Add to that it was a night game. Purdue treated that game essentially like the White Out.

Purdue played a great game and the atmosphere was loud, if I remember correctly.

247 WVU talking head has his team losing 31-13. Ceiling of 8-4, floor of 2-10. Brutal 6 game opening slate that he didn't rule out a 1-5 start. Us, Pitt, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston.

247 WVU talking head has his team losing 31-13. Ceiling of 8-4, floor of 2-10. Brutal 6 game opening slate that he didn't rule out a 1-5 start. Us, Pitt, Texas Tech, TCU, and Houston.
That 1-5 start with only a win over Duquesne won't be at all surprising. I still think 8-4 is very optimistic but appreciate thr honesty there of 1-5 with 2-10 as the floor.

That 1-5 start with only a win over Duquesne won't be at all surprising. I still think 8-4 is very optimistic but appreciate thr honesty there of 1-5 with 2-10 as the floor.

I knew they had a lot of secondary transfers come in, but didn't realize they might be starting a portal guy at all 5 spots. Allar could be setup for the welcome party we all have been hoping for.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, I don't particularly see any gimmes there either until this team produces.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT