ADVERTISEMENT

Superbowl over time question

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Question: If 49ers go for it on 4th down and do not score from around the 5 yard line......where would KC have gotten the ball? I believe it would have been the 5 yard line, correct?

If KC gets the ball on the 5 yard line.....they would have had to go 65-70 yards to get a field goal to win. Which if I understand the rule correctly, I have to believe that going for the TD was the mathematically the more advantageous call. If you go for the TD and you get it, you will be up 7 and will force KC to score a TD and if they desire go for 2 for the win.....you have to stop them from the TD happening or stop them on 4th down to win........or if they chose to tie you get a kick off and all you have to do is get a field goal to win.

Do i have the rule correct? And if so, doesn't it seem like being aggressive is the correct call?

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Soupy ... I believe that you have the rule interpretation correct.

Thinking back, early in the SF drive in OT, Purdy threw a pass that the receiver bobbled and a KC defender nearly caught.

Had the KC defender caught the ball, they would have been in field goal range and had they kicked, it would have ended the marathon.

Agree?

Reactions: KCLion
Question: If 49ers go for it on 4th down and do not score from around the 5 yard line......where would KC have gotten the ball? I believe it would have been the 5 yard line, correct?

If KC gets the ball on the 5 yard line.....they would have had to go 65-70 yards to get a field goal to win. Which if I understand the rule correctly, I have to believe that going for the TD was the mathematically the more advantageous call. If you go for the TD and you get it, you will be up 7 and will force KC to score a TD and if they desire go for 2 for the win.....you have to stop them from the TD happening or stop them on 4th down to win........or if they chose to tie you get a kick off and all you have to do is get a field goal to win.

Do i have the rule correct? And if so, doesn't it seem like being aggressive is the correct call?
Note that it was 4th and 4 at the 9 yard line. But I do agree that I liked the idea of going for it in that spot, as KC would have taken over at that spot.

Thinking back, early in the SF drive in OT, Purdy threw a pass that the receiver bobbled and a KC defender nearly caught.

Had the KC defender caught the ball, they would have been in field goal range and had they kicked, it would have ended the marathon.

Agree?
That's correct.

Note that it was 4th and 4 at the 9 yard line. But I do agree that I liked the idea of going for it in that spot, as KC would have taken over at that spot.
Ya that’s a tough call. I think running on third was the play as it may have been shorter on 4th. I wouldn’t want to have made the call

Agree?
I agree.....one drive each. SF got 3, and KC 0....game over.

With Mahomes on the other side........just seems like putting the pressure on your offense to make a play is the correct way to go. My recall of the yard line was incorrect, but with a 4th and 4 from the 9 yard line.....you get the 4 yards and you have to believe that you can score a td from inside the 5 yard line. If you do not get, if you hold the Chiefs down at their end, you get the ball back in really good field position......... I have not seen an article on this aspect of overtime....more questioning the desire to take the ball first......I agree with 49ers that getting the ball 3rd is the key to the game if first and second series tie......then getting the ball third is a huge advantage. Clearly the old rules of getting the ball first was a huge advantage. Boring first half of the game. Bad halftime show. Pretty Good Commercials and a great ending with plenty of places to play Monday morning QB........ All in all pretty entertaining game.

you are correct. But being up by three was huge at that point. Don't forget, at the time, the defense had only given up 1 TD and four FGs. At the same time, SF had only scored one TD and that was on a trick play. So I get the call at that point.

Now, had they gotten the ball second and were down by a TD we know they certainly would have gone for the TD.

Coulda went for it on fourth down. If failed they turn it over somewhere between the 9 and 5.

If the Chiefs then score even a field goal-game over. If they are forced to punt and the Niners get a field goal… game over.

And if there was a safety because of a sack or fumble….. game over. Woulda been really cool to win the SB with a safety!

All the Niners had to do was score some damn points after the 2 turnovers they had in the first half. Would’ve saved them a whole lot of trouble.

Coulda went for it on fourth down. If failed they turn it over somewhere between the 9 and 5.

If the Chiefs then score even a field goal-game over. If they are forced to punt and the Niners get a field goal… game over.

And if there was a safety because of a sack or fumble….. game over. Woulda been really cool to win the SB with a safety!
Yep...and lets not forget this kicker was 4 for 4 in FGs with one being 57 yards. So the Chiefs would only have had to drive to the 9ers 40 yard line

Reactions: LandoComando

I think at that point Mahomes was dealing on the gassed SF defense missing one of their key starters. You gamble there and miss then yeah Mahomes would be backed up but I believe he easily takes KC"s to SF's 40 for a GW FG. And probably into the red zone for a GW chip shot. Take the points so at least KC needs to get a TD to win. I bet the KC kicker could make a 65 yarder so as soon as they cross mid field they are in range.

I think once it got to OT then SF was cooked. Mahomies was on a roll and the KC defense could disrupt Putdy. The SF defense looked helpless vs Mahomes at the end of the 4th and OT. Shanahan knew it and had to at least get 3.

With Mahomes on the other side........just seems like putting the pressure on your offense to make a play is the correct way to go. My recall of the yard line was incorrect, but with a 4th and 4 from the 9 yard line.....you get the 4 yards and you have to believe that you can score a td from inside the 5 yard line. If you do not get, if you hold the Chiefs down at their end, you get the ball back in really good field position......... I have not seen an article on this aspect of overtime....more questioning the desire to take the ball first......I agree with 49ers that getting the ball 3rd is the key to the game if first and second series tie......then getting the ball third is a huge advantage. Clearly the old rules of getting the ball first was a huge advantage. Boring first half of the game. Bad halftime show. Pretty Good Commercials and a great ending with plenty of places to play Monday morning QB........ All in all pretty entertaining game.
Good point on getting the ball 3rd, as that's the first time sudden death is in play. It also extrapolates to 5th and beyond if it should go that far. And, the way the two kickers were performing, a couple more possessions ending in field goals didn't look far fetched.

Reactions: NedFromYork

With Butker they probably only need 50 yards but I agree they should have went for it. I really don't think Shanahan was prepared for OT

Yep...and lets not forget this kicker was 4 for 4 in FGs with one being 57 yards. So the Chiefs would only have had to drive to the 9ers 40 yard line
Butker says he was good from 70...so if they get to midfield they probably try it.

He’s so good, basically money anywhere less than 60 in decent conditions. In hindsight, going for it on 4th is the right call. But if they fail and KC drives for a FG, Shanahan gets hammered by the media.
That was the problem. Even if KC is pinned deep he only needs to drive it about 50 yards for a decent FG try. The dude can hit from 70. Plus he knew his defense was sucking wind so take points and then make them score a TD hoping his defense could at least hold them to a FG.

That was the problem. Even if KC is pinned deep he only needs to drive it about 50 yards for a decent FG try. The dude can hit from 70. Plus he knew his defense was sucking wind so take points and then make them score a TD hoping his defense could at least hold them to a FG.
Exactly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT