ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St. vs Pitt - 9/10/16

How much playing time did Nassib get before 2015? What did that mean for when he finally got in there? Just because you are a backup the prior year behind an older player doesn't mean you are a scrub. I can't believe I have to explain these things to people.

IT'S HOW IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED AT PENN STATE AND EVERY OTHER COLLEGE.

OMG...we have someone who is going to be starting who WAS A BACKUP LAST YEAR. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.

who said we're going to die?...why are you yelling?.....we're just talking here.

Nassib played significantly in 2014 (and 2013)...and he was a 5th year senior in 2015....plus he was a DE...not a DT. I don't understand the analogy.

yeah, i get every team has attrition....but our replacements (again, i'm talking about DT) are P Cothren (he's good...but no AJ), A White who didn't play that much last year, but ok he's got some experience (not sure how good he is though)....and 3 RS Freshmen (Windsor, K Carter, & Bucholz....with 2 of them being converted DEs)

and to be clear, i have no issues w/our DEs.....we're loaded there.

This is a bad move and Barbour should cancel it. The potential for vulgarity, vandalism and untold violence is terrific.

In all honesty I'm debating whether I want to go to the game in September. I already know how visiting fans will be treated. I'm not sure I want to endure a day of being called a pedophile and personally blamed for the actions of people I've never met. If PSU wins you can pretty much expect the absolute worst as you're leaving the stadium. Actually, I would expect the absolute worst as the games goes on if PSU gets an early lead and doesn't look back.

It's going to be brutal going to the game for PSU fans, despite the fact that there will no doubt be double the amount of PSU fans at the game than Pitt fans. The worst of their fan base (which is not their entire fan base) will feel empowered playing at home, and when you throw in some alcohol I would bet any amount of money the degenerate part of their fan base will hurl every personal insult at anyone wearing Blue/White.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go, but if I do I know I'll need to be prepared to be treated like I personally abused children because there are simply degenerates in that fan base who truly believe that we are all personally responsible and think the should have our heads beaten in.

In all honesty I'm debating whether I want to go to the game in September. I already know how visiting fans will be treated. I'm not sure I want to endure a day of being called a pedophile and personally blamed for the actions of people I've never met. If PSU wins you can pretty much expect the absolute worst as you're leaving the stadium. Actually, I would expect the absolute worst as the games goes on if PSU gets an early lead and doesn't look back.

It's going to be brutal going to the game for PSU fans, despite the fact that there will no doubt be double the amount of PSU fans at the game than Pitt fans. The worst of their fan base (which is not their entire fan base) will feel empowered playing at home, and when you throw in some alcohol I would bet any amount of money the degenerate part of their fan base will hurl every personal insult at anyone wearing Blue/White.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go, but if I do I know I'll need to be prepared to be treated like I personally abused children because there are simply degenerates in that fan base who truly believe that we are all personally responsible and think the should have our heads beaten in.

Meh. Just have your phone ready to video the worst abuse. Has the potential to turn into a huge embarrassment for their University.

Reactions: Agoodnap
This is unfortunately the year Penn State may have trouble in this game. I don't see a big improvement over last year. Plus a new QB while Pitt has a returning guy. On the road (right?) Could be Pitt's year.

That being said I don't think its an end all for recruiting even if Penn State loses. So Pitt gets some Pittsburgh guys. Penn State will still get the rest of the State.

This is a bad move and Barbour should cancel it. The potential for vulgarity, vandalism and untold violence is terrific.
You really think it's gonna be that bad? I was at a steelers-Ravens game at HeinzField where Flacco threw a last second td pass to beat the steelers. I saw no hazing or taunting of ravens fans after the game. I imagine those same steelers fans are at least in part Pitt fans. Could be a bad assumption though.

This is unfortunately the year Penn State may have trouble in this game. I don't see a big improvement over last year. Plus a new QB while Pitt has a returning guy. On the road (right?) Could be Pitt's year.

That being said I don't think its an end all for recruiting even if Penn State loses. So Pitt gets some Pittsburgh guys. Penn State will still get the rest of the State.
For 2017 recruiting I think it matters. Most of the top player in PA are in Pittsburgh area this year. No Menets or McGoverns in eastern PA

I don't think McSorley is anywhere near the running threat of Keenan Reynolds, Marquise Williams, Kizer, or Justin Thomas(GT). I think you're overstating his ability.

I don't think anyone is directly comparing PSU's QB to any of those guys that gutted Pitt last year (particularly the triple option QBs) as much as the threat of a mobile QB that will run as part of the offense making it more difficult to defend.

Look at this another way - Bama has had some of the best defenses in recent memory but consistently struggles with spread/mobile QBs. None of these offenses are of the Navy/GT variety or feature a Heisman QB to put them off balance.

You can always count on a few things in threads like this... PSU fans and Pitt fans will think their players are better than they are, PSU fans will fear for their safety at Heinz, Pitt fans will do the same at State College... Bottom line is this .. Vegas will determine line in this game and it will be very close to pick em with no prohibitive favorite.. Both teams are mediocre till proven otherwise.. Facts are these... Pitt corners will have trouble covering wr's from PSU.... Pitt will get after the new QB from PSU.. If Pitt limits his time and forces turnovers Pitt wins... If he sits back there comfortably he will have open receivers to throw to and create big plays...Pitt must first shut down running game.. and PSU likewise.. For either fan base to come on this site and have any sense of confidence of the outcome is Insane...

Reactions: dendobbs and BPXCIV
Cothren and White played extensively last season and I don't remember PSU getting "gashed" in those games when they were in. As far as McSorley, or Stevens, tearing it up, Hack wasn't tearing it up either so...nothing different.
Everyone forgets Hack was ranked in bottom 3rd of qualifying QBs last year. OL issues were what they were. Mcsorley threw two td passes in his half with that same OL.

You can always count on a few things in threads like this... PSU fans and Pitt fans will think their players are better than they are, PSU fans will fear for their safety at Heinz, Pitt fans will do the same at State College... Bottom line is this .. Vegas will determine line in this game and it will be very close to pick em with no prohibitive favorite.. Both teams are mediocre till proven otherwise.. Facts are these... Pitt corners will have trouble covering wr's from PSU.... Pitt will get after the new QB from PSU.. If Pitt limits his time and forces turnovers Pitt wins... If he sits back there comfortably he will have open receivers to throw to and create big plays...Pitt must first shut down running game.. and PSU likewise.. For either fan base to come on this site and have any sense of confidence of the outcome is Insane...

well said, sir
well_done_sir.gif

Way too early for anything but the most broad-brush look at this matchup

That said, PSU would likely expect to have advantages at the RB and WR spots......maybe the secondary - just having more young talent to plug into those spots than Pitt may have.
If healthy, PSU may also have the edge at LBer. PSU's starting three are more experienced and - probably - more talented than what Pittt has on their roster

Other than that:
Pitt has a HUGE edge at the most important position on the field (QB)
Pitt has a significant edge along the offensive line
Pitt will have the edge at DT (maybe a HUGE edge)......while I think PSU probably has more talent (albeit young talent) at the DE spots
I don't even know who Pitt has returning at PK and P, but we know that at best that will be a break-even proposition for PSU

If someone were so inclined to set an early betting line, they would be foolish to not favor Pitt ( the QB and OL situation are such a huge advantage - at least on paper)

Doesn't mean PSU can't win........doesn't even mean that 8 months from now - after spring and offseason practices - that PSU may not even be the favorite come September
But, right now, the smart money would be (unfortunately) on Pitt

In thinking about this matchup based on returning players, this looks like a game Penn St. should win. The only unit Pitt really has an edge is on the Offensive Line. Pitt's weapons don't come close to comparing. If Penn St. can slow their running game, they are screwed. Their QB is very mediocre and aside from Ollison at RB (assuming Conner isn't back yet), they have no offensive weapons. Now, stopping the running game may not be that easy. Although our linebackers should be stout,, our DL is a question mark. When Penn St. is on offense, the QB just needs to not make critical mistakes. Let the playmakers make plays and the offensive line just needs to be average. Pitt's defense is terrible other than Whitehead. Even if Hamlin breaks into the starting lineup, it would be just his 2nd start at the college level.

Based on what is happening in recruiting right now, this is a critical game and a win for Penn St. would propel them in head to head recruiting battles and pretty much destroy any hope of Pitt winning any of the games in the series because Penn St. clearly has a talent advantage that would just continue to widen. A Pitt win and recruiting could continue to struggle for Penn St. and cause that gap to close a bit.

This is a huge game when it comes to future recruiting wars.

I agree with your analysis except for the part where you say this looks like a game PSU should win. I think you underestimate PITT and overestimate PSU.

Pitt has a very good OL. 5* Johnson, 4* Bookster, 4* Bisnowaty, 4* Grimm. These guys will be going against a rebuilt PSU DL that could be especially weak at DT. I think we'll be OK at DE with Brown & Sickels but Cothren, White, & Windsor are young to go up against such a formidable OL. Remember, we lost Barney in addition to Johnson & Zettel.

There is no doubt that PSU has more and better athletes but we had good athletes last year and our offense still sputered. Games are usually won in the trenches. Our QB is going to be inexperienced and we will be playing in a completely new system under Moorehead. It will be interesting to see if our OL improves and if any of the RS freshman make an early impact.

This is a critical game, especially with OSU, UM, & MSU on the schedule. Another 7 win season won't do much for Franklin's credibility.

I agree with your analysis except for the part where you say this looks like a game PSU should win. I think you underestimate PITT and overestimate PSU.

Pitt has a very good OL. 5* Johnson, 4* Bookster, 4* Bisnowaty, 4* Grimm. These guys will be going against a rebuilt PSU DL that could be especially weak at DT. I think we'll be OK at DE with Brown & Sickels but Cothren, White, & Windsor are young to go up against such a formidable OL. Remember, we lost Barney in addition to Johnson & Zettel.

There is no doubt that PSU has more and better athletes but we had good athletes last year and our offense still sputered. Games are usually won in the trenches. Our QB is going to be inexperienced and we will be playing in a completely new system under Moorehead. It will be interesting to see if our OL improves and if any of the RS freshman make an early impact.

This is a critical game, especially with OSU, UM, & MSU on the schedule. Another 7 win season won't do much for Franklin's credibility.
At least we have a game prior to Pitt to work out some kinks. That will be more important to us than Pitt for reasons stated. Most improvement is usually between games one and two.

In thinking about this matchup based on returning players, this looks like a game Penn St. should win. The only unit Pitt really has an edge is on the Offensive Line. Pitt's weapons don't come close to comparing. If Penn St. can slow their running game, they are screwed. Their QB is very mediocre and aside from Ollison at RB (assuming Conner isn't back yet), they have no offensive weapons. Now, stopping the running game may not be that easy. Although our linebackers should be stout,, our DL is a question mark. When Penn St. is on offense, the QB just needs to not make critical mistakes. Let the playmakers make plays and the offensive line just needs to be average. Pitt's defense is terrible other than Whitehead. Even if Hamlin breaks into the starting lineup, it would be just his 2nd start at the college level.

Based on what is happening in recruiting right now, this is a critical game and a win for Penn St. would propel them in head to head recruiting battles and pretty much destroy any hope of Pitt winning any of the games in the series because Penn St. clearly has a talent advantage that would just continue to widen. A Pitt win and recruiting could continue to struggle for Penn St. and cause that gap to close a bit.

My fear is that people are going to put WAY too much importance on this game, win or lose.

Reactions: m48tank
How much playing time did Nassib get before 2015? What did that mean for when he finally got in there? Just because you are a backup the prior year behind an older player doesn't mean you are a scrub. I can't believe I have to explain these things to people.

IT'S HOW IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED AT PENN STATE AND EVERY OTHER COLLEGE.

OMG...we have someone who is going to be starting who WAS A BACKUP LAST YEAR. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.
No arguing with ninnies, is there? OSU will be starting a lot of backups in 2016.

I have relatives from Nebraska who came into town and were taken to a Pitt game by cousins. When they came out to go home the RV had been rocked, bottled and keyed. The mirrors were ripped off. These people are animals and aholes.

Reactions: pkg5002 and m48tank
No arguing with ninnies, is there? OSU will be starting a lot of backups in 2016.

haha...was I being a ninnie?.....do you think our DT situation is NOT a concern?

I wonder how our back-ups will look compared to Ohio State's

My fear is that people are going to put WAY too much importance on this game, win or lose.
Ultimately, its just a game. However, perception becomes reality. Most of the country does not view Pitt as anything more than a mid-major level program. If Penn St. loses to them, it will not look good on a national level...which is a level Penn St. considers itself.

Who ever said anything about backing out... this is something you just made up and now will be all over the Pitt board. Use your freaking head! The only debate is whether its beneficial for Penn State or not. I don't think it's beneficial, as we should play P5 teams from outside our current footprint. We are already known to kids in western PA, so it's not going to help exposure with them. Lets play UNC/NC State or South Carolina or Georgia where it may help recruiting.
I didnt make it up....was responding to the poster towards the beginning of the thread who suggested that Barbour should pull out of the game.

So you know the situation better than Austin Johnson?

i'm sorry...what did AJ say?...i missed it.....i'm guessing he said we'll be fine at DT?....ok cool...great

and yeah...I'm not a scout.....I wouldn't know more than AJ, that's for sure.......all I know is we don't have a lot of experience at DT. most of our DT talent is coming from RS freshmen that haven't played yet

c'mon man...what are you trying to say?...DT situation is not a concern/weakness for 2016?......if so, i hope you're right, but I have no idea how you would come to that conclusion.

Reactions: Peter_North
i'm sorry...what did AJ say?...i missed it.....i'm guessing he said we'll be fine at DT?....ok cool...great

and yeah...I'm not a scout.....I wouldn't know more than AJ, that's for sure.......all I know is we don't have a lot of experience at DT. most of our DT talent is coming from RS freshmen that haven't played yet

c'mon man...what are you trying to say?...DT situation is not a concern/weakness for 2016?......if so, i hope you're right, but I have no idea how you would come to that conclusion.

Your quote was we have "no DTs".

"Those guys are ready,” said Austin Johnson, a projected first-round pick who declared for the NFL draft. “Parker [Cothren], Antoine [White], Rob Windsor and those guys are going to be really good. They’ll have nothing to worry about.”

So the claim that we have "no DTs" is slightly at odds with what AJ has seen in his time lifting, training, and playing next to Cothren, White, and Windsor.

We return about 17 starters from last year's team. So, no, I don't expect the DTs to be as good as last year's group. But I think you'll see improvement from many other position groups. So DTs aren't as strong, but the linebackers will be better, the cornerbacks will be better, the wide receivers will be better, etc. It's a give and take.

So you know the situation better than Austin Johnson?

What's A. Johnson going to say? He's not going to dis his backups/teammates.

All 3 of our DTs were mid level recruits with only 1 or 2 other major offers. That doesn't mean they won't be good but Cothren is a RS JR, White is a RS SO, and Windsor is a RS FR. Not much depth and 2 of the 3 have very little experience.

Maybe these guys will surprise. Maybe Gaia moves to DT and does great. But any objective analysis would indicate that this is an area of concern, especially when matched against a highly rated and experienced OLs like Pitt.

I never wanted this game,but its too late now . Just beat them during this series and NEVER schedule this team again!

Reactions: Marshall30
haha...was I being a ninnie?.....do you think our DT situation is NOT a concern?

I wonder how our back-ups will look compared to Ohio State's
No you're not a ninnie PALY. I didn't even look who he was responding to, but his point that backups become starters quite often in college football is accurate. No offense to you because I find you a good poster and a good fan.

Reactions: PSUPALY
Your quote was we have "no DTs".

"Those guys are ready,” said Austin Johnson, a projected first-round pick who declared for the NFL draft. “Parker [Cothren], Antoine [White], Rob Windsor and those guys are going to be really good. They’ll have nothing to worry about.”

So the claim that we have "no DTs" is slightly at odds with what AJ has seen in his time lifting, training, and playing next to Cothren, White, and Windsor.

We return about 17 starters from last year's team. So, no, I don't expect the DTs to be as good as last year's group. But I think you'll see improvement from many other position groups. So DTs aren't as strong, but the linebackers will be better, the cornerbacks will be better, the wide receivers will be better, etc. It's a give and take.

"no DTs"...oh my goodness, yeah I didn't mean that literally....didn't think i had to overstate the obvious......I mean, we just had a lengthy back n forth regarding who'll be playing the DT position in 2016.

alright man....you have little concerns about our DTs....cool.

and yes, I agree with the improvements at the other positions...no debate there.

so...how many wins you predicting next year, Judge?.....8?...9?...10?

What's A. Johnson going to say? He's not going to dis his backups/teammates.

All 3 of our DTs were mid level recruits with only 1 or 2 other major offers. That doesn't mean they won't be good but Cothren is a RS JR, White is a RS SO, and Windsor is a RS FR. Not much depth and 2 of the 3 have very little experience.

Maybe these guys will surprise. Maybe Gaia moves to DT and does great. But any objective analysis would indicate that this is an area of concern, especially when matched against a highly rated and experienced OLs like Pitt.

I know the staff really likes Cothren and White, they think they found a gem in Robert Windsor. There is also the possibility they move Givens, who is over 265 now, to DT. The kid is an animal.

Couldn't find the quote, but Franklin also brought up out of the blue Windsor's name during one of his press conferences during the season and said how well he was playing, that he could be playing this season if not for the redshirt.

That’s also the case for defensive line, Brent Pry said.

“We talk about those guys all the time,” Pry said. “Robert Windsor, Kevin Givens, Shareef Miller - those guys up front are doing a really nice job and catching everybody’s attention.Ryan Buchholz is another guy (who has) great size, good skill sets. I couldn’t be more excited about our young front guys."

Sean Spencer

DT Antoine White

- "He came in as a mid-year kid, and it was a little fast for him. He really should've been going to the prom and things like that, but he was working with the team in January (2014). He's improved and with the guys in front of him that he sees, they're good guys to follow. Anytime you're following Anthony Zettel, Austin Johnson, Barney and Parker, you get an opportunity to see how those guys work and how these guys have success on the field by working hard.

"Talent was never the issue with him. It was just learning the schemes and being consistent. He's worked on improving that. I mean, he's improved every week. When you have success in a game, you're confidence goes up."

DT Ryan Buchholz

- "Ryan is, first of all, a tremendous talent for us. He's capable of playing end and capable of playing three-technique. Obviously in our first year we didn't sign a defensive tackle. He was one of our (2015 recruits) that we said, if we need him to project inside, that he could. We try to put the best players in the best positions to be successful and we think he has a chance to be pretty good there. He's an extremely talented kid. He's a guy who is versatile enough to play end or three technique."

DE Kevin Givens

- "That guy is so explosive. He's really a ball of muscle. You hit him on the back and it's like hitting a brick wall. We're very, very excited about the future of Kevin Givens in our program. When we recruited him, he played linebacker, full back (and defensive line.) Where do you play him? I think we found a home for him at defensive end and we're excited about him moving forward."

DT Robert Windsor (6-4, 286 - Fr.)

- "He's a guy who we were really excited about when we recruited him. We were lucky to get him as late in the process as we did. He's ben everything and more than we thought he would be. Obviously, we'd like to continue to redshirt him, if possible. We'll see how the season goes. He's a guy who can play for us now. We're working on some things for him, just picking up the schemes and those types of things, but he plays hard. He's going to attack you. We're really excited about him for the future of our program and the future of our defensive line."

Reactions: Howie'81
I know the staff really likes Cothren and White, they think they found a gem in Robert Windsor. There is also the possibility they move Givens, who is over 265 now, to DT. The kid is an animal.

Couldn't find the quote, but Franklin also brought up out of the blue Windsor's name during one of his press conferences during the season and said how well he was playing, that he could be playing this season if not for the redshirt.

That’s also the case for defensive line, Brent Pry said.

“We talk about those guys all the time,” Pry said. “Robert Windsor, Kevin Givens, Shareef Miller - those guys up front are doing a really nice job and catching everybody’s attention.Ryan Buchholz is another guy (who has) great size, good skill sets. I couldn’t be more excited about our young front guys."

Sean Spencer

DT Antoine White

- "He came in as a mid-year kid, and it was a little fast for him. He really should've been going to the prom and things like that, but he was working with the team in January (2014). He's improved and with the guys in front of him that he sees, they're good guys to follow. Anytime you're following Anthony Zettel, Austin Johnson, Barney and Parker, you get an opportunity to see how those guys work and how these guys have success on the field by working hard.

"Talent was never the issue with him. It was just learning the schemes and being consistent. He's worked on improving that. I mean, he's improved every week. When you have success in a game, you're confidence goes up."

DT Ryan Buchholz

- "Ryan is, first of all, a tremendous talent for us. He's capable of playing end and capable of playing three-technique. Obviously in our first year we didn't sign a defensive tackle. He was one of our (2015 recruits) that we said, if we need him to project inside, that he could. We try to put the best players in the best positions to be successful and we think he has a chance to be pretty good there. He's an extremely talented kid. He's a guy who is versatile enough to play end or three technique."

DE Kevin Givens

- "That guy is so explosive. He's really a ball of muscle. You hit him on the back and it's like hitting a brick wall. We're very, very excited about the future of Kevin Givens in our program. When we recruited him, he played linebacker, full back (and defensive line.) Where do you play him? I think we found a home for him at defensive end and we're excited about him moving forward."

DT Robert Windsor (6-4, 286 - Fr.)

- "He's a guy who we were really excited about when we recruited him. We were lucky to get him as late in the process as we did. He's ben everything and more than we thought he would be. Obviously, we'd like to continue to redshirt him, if possible. We'll see how the season goes. He's a guy who can play for us now. We're working on some things for him, just picking up the schemes and those types of things, but he plays hard. He's going to attack you. We're really excited about him for the future of our program and the future of our defensive line."
Good post.

"no DTs"...oh my goodness, yeah I didn't mean that literally....didn't think i had to overstate the obvious......I mean, we just had a lengthy back n forth regarding who'll be playing the DT position in 2016.

alright man....you have little concerns about our DTs....cool.

and yes, I agree with the improvements at the other positions...no debate there.

so...how many wins you predicting next year, Judge?.....8?...9?...10?

No, I think our DT is the position you have to hope they stay healthy, and the depth is young. No doubt. But it isn't such a weakness that a team like Pitt is going to run for 250 yards against us. Cothren, White, and Windsor with another off season will be representative Big Ten DTs. They won't be All Big Ten. But they will be good enough to be stout against the run against a team like Pitt.

I don't make predictions on PSU's record. No way to separate my head from my heart.

Did you even watch your team play last year with an NFL caliber QB and a stud DL? PITT is going to eat up penn state's interior on both sides of the ball. I do think penn state has the athletes and talent to make it a close game, however with a new QB and playing at Heinz I can't see you guys winning. Should be a fun game
Heinz will be a split between pitt and Penn State fans...pitt doesn't have a homefield advantage in this match up. Our OL should be better, coupled with a more cohesive offensive scheme. Yes, we will have less overall experience on the field, but the players will be if a much higher caliber than what we've had the past 2 years.

So yeah I did watch my team last year (a helluva lot more than you), and I'm not getting why you find that relevant. New team, new scheme with better overall talent sounds like an upgrade to me.

Your fear is unfounded, Heinz is a great atmosphere for CFB. I have only seen it get rowdy for WVU and that was when they all started chanting eat $hit pitt. There will not be more of you guys than Pitt fans though-- you will have 20k tops...relax and enjoy the game, honestly one of the more laid back places to watch a cfb game, most of our fans are older and there will be a bunch of families with kids on hand. We dont have 40k drunken undergrads in our stadium, for better or for worse. Come to Pittsburgh, eat Primantis, go to the museums, tour a real college campus, and revel in enjoying the return of one of the best rivalry games in cfb. Hail to Pitt.

There are always some western PA guys that prefer Pitt and some Western Pa guys that prefer Penn State. Has always been that way and always will be that way. Having two Central Catholic grads as coaches should help in the future considering that they put out a lot of big time recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT