ADVERTISEMENT

Penn St. vs Pitt - 9/10/16

irncty

May 29, 2001
Melbourne
In thinking about this matchup based on returning players, this looks like a game Penn St. should win. The only unit Pitt really has an edge is on the Offensive Line. Pitt's weapons don't come close to comparing. If Penn St. can slow their running game, they are screwed. Their QB is very mediocre and aside from Ollison at RB (assuming Conner isn't back yet), they have no offensive weapons. Now, stopping the running game may not be that easy. Although our linebackers should be stout,, our DL is a question mark. When Penn St. is on offense, the QB just needs to not make critical mistakes. Let the playmakers make plays and the offensive line just needs to be average. Pitt's defense is terrible other than Whitehead. Even if Hamlin breaks into the starting lineup, it would be just his 2nd start at the college level.

Based on what is happening in recruiting right now, this is a critical game and a win for Penn St. would propel them in head to head recruiting battles and pretty much destroy any hope of Pitt winning any of the games in the series because Penn St. clearly has a talent advantage that would just continue to widen. A Pitt win and recruiting could continue to struggle for Penn St. and cause that gap to close a bit.

This is a huge game when it comes to future recruiting wars.

Reactions: tpw149
In thinking about this matchup based on returning players, this looks like a game Penn St. should win. The only unit Pitt really has an edge is on the Offensive Line. Pitt's weapons don't come close to comparing. If Penn St. can slow their running game, they are screwed. Their QB is very mediocre and aside from Ollison at RB (assuming Conner isn't back yet), they have no offensive weapons. Now, stopping the running game may not be that easy. Although our linebackers should be stout,, our DL is a question mark. When Penn St. is on offense, the QB just needs to not make critical mistakes. Let the playmakers make plays and the offensive line just needs to be average. Pitt's defense is terrible other than Whitehead. Even if Hamlin breaks into the starting lineup, it would be just his 2nd start at the college level.

Based on what is happening in recruiting right now, this is a critical game and a win for Penn St. would propel them in head to head recruiting battles and pretty much destroy any hope of Pitt winning any of the games in the series because Penn St. clearly has a talent advantage that would just continue to widen. A Pitt win and recruiting could continue to struggle for Penn St. and cause that gap to close a bit.

Agree with all points. I think will need to score over 20 points and I feel more confidant with Moorhead running the offense.

With all the talent in WPA the next couple years PSU needs to reaffirm it's position as the dominate program in the state. 2017 and beyond Mich, OSU, and MSU will be more important but next year it's Pitt.

Reactions: bmw199
I love that Pitt thinks they are the favorite in this game and that Franklin can't coach. It will make the aftermath that much more enjoyable. They have managed to take the pressure that should be on us and placed it on themselves in a fashion that only a Pitt fan could do.

Play the game...don't ever back down from little brother. Recruiting isn't going to be affected one way or the other. WPIAL kids have rarely come to HV in the past (see Hamlin). Plus they're not pumping out the studs in volumes like they used to, so it's not like we're going to be going head-to-head against them for recruits very often anyway.

Look, if we back out, we'd never hear the end of it from the mouth-breathers. Of course, we'll also never hear the end of it if we lose (or win for that matter), so might as well just go into Heinz (aka Beaver Stadium West), take care of business and get on with the rest of our season.

A lot can change in 9 months but as of now, PSU will have a matchup problem on the interior of the DL. Even if Connor isn't back, Ollison can be a load. Otherwise, the back 7 is in really good shape with Wartman back at LB. Pitt's probably not going to have much success in the air but they can chew it up on the ground if we can't get those DT spots ironed out.

On the other side of the ball, I feel great with Moorehead breathing some life into the offense regardless of the QB because of the weapons available with Barkley/Sanders and the WR Corps. A mobile QB will help with some of the OL issues too.

A lot can change in 9 months but as of now, PSU will have a matchup problem on the interior of the DL. Even if Connor isn't back, Ollison can be a load. Otherwise, the back 7 is in really good shape with Wartman back at LB. Pitt's probably not going to have much success in the air but they can chew it up on the ground if we can't get those DT spots ironed out.

On the other side of the ball, I feel great with Moorehead breathing some life into the offense regardless of the QB because of the weapons available with Barkley/Sanders and the WR Corps. A mobile QB will help with some of the OL issues too.

We just saw how Navy chewed up the Pitt defense. The QB run is going to be a major part of our attack going forward. You'll see McSorley or Stevens probably run the ball 12-15 times/game. That puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense because you have an extra blocker to account for. And when the safeties start creeping up, that's when you go play action to Godwin over the top.

I think it's going to be a fun year.

Fans don’t play!

I love that Pitt thinks they are the favorite in this game and that Franklin can't coach. It will make the aftermath that much more enjoyable. They have managed to take the pressure that should be on us and placed it on themselves in a fashion that only a Pitt fan could do.

not that Pitt is formidable or anything, but you think we'll be favored on the road w/a new QB and no DTs?

not that Pitt is formidable or anything, but you think we'll be favored on the road w/a new QB and no DTs?

This "no DL" thing is such crap. Every college team has to replace players who graduate every year. Do you think we had no younger backups who played? We rotated guys on the DL in every game.

Anthony Johnson on the backups:

"Those guys are ready,” said Austin Johnson, a projected first-round pick who declared for the NFL draft. “Parker [Cothren], Antoine [White], Rob Windsor and those guys are going to be really good. They’ll have nothing to worry about.”

Torrence Brown played extensively at defensive end and looked terrific. He was getting 1st string snaps in many passing situations towards the end of the year.

Michigan_Penn_St_1121_t1200.jpg

19247766-mmmain.jpg

penn-state-defensive-end-torrence-brown-sacks-michigan-quarterback-picture-id498211960

When we played San Diego State, in the press conference after the game their coach said our 2nd string defensive line was almost as good as the first string.

The line isn't going to dominate right off the bat the way this unit did, but people are going to be surprised about how well they play.

We just saw how Navy chewed up the Pitt defense. The QB run is going to be a major part of our attack going forward. You'll see McSorley or Stevens probably run the ball 12-15 times/game. That puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense because you have an extra blocker to account for. And when the safeties start creeping up, that's when you go play action to Godwin over the top.

I think it's going to be a fun year.

I go back to MRob in '05 and what his mobility and spreading it out did for that (imo) very average OL unit. This offense is deeper at pretty much every position than that offense so there's a lot of reason for optimism.

Still worried about the DTs earlier in the year though.

Not sure why we're so down on our DTs...remember the DL was the one unit that CJF rotated into games consistently last year, so the younger guys have a lot of significant snaps to build on. Give them another year in the weight room and to work on technique, and there's no reason to believe that a quality pair of grinders won't emerge by September.

This "no DL" thing is such crap. Every college team has to replace players who graduate every year. Do you think we had no younger backups who played? We rotated guys on the DL in every game.

Anthony Johnson on the backups:

"Those guys are ready,” said Austin Johnson, a projected first-round pick who declared for the NFL draft. “Parker [Cothren], Antoine [White], Rob Windsor and those guys are going to be really good. They’ll have nothing to worry about.”

Torrence Brown played extensively at defensive end and looked terrific. He was getting 1st string snaps in many passing situations towards the end of the year.

Michigan_Penn_St_1121_t1200.jpg

19247766-mmmain.jpg

penn-state-defensive-end-torrence-brown-sacks-michigan-quarterback-picture-id498211960

When we played San Diego State, in the press conference after the game their coach said our 2nd string defensive line was almost as good as the first string.

The line isn't going to dominate right off the bat the way this unit did, but people are going to be surprised about how well they play.

I did say DL...but I meant to say DT......and yeah, we're lacking on DTs...that's a fact. we are not lacking in DEs...I agree with you. thanks for the pics though....we lost that game.

I'm not saying overall we don't have more talent than Pitt....because we clearly do. We just have a weak spot right up the middle which Narduzzi will try to exploit (who wouldn't?). Then....we got a new QB. obviously, McSorely's a much better fit in Moorehead's offense, but I'm not under any delusional that'll he'll immediately come in and tear it up....like McGloin, a 5th year senior, under O'Brien's 1st year. though...he sure as heck will have a ton of weapons at his disposal. then....there's the OL....i mean, who knows what will happen there.

hey...i'm just saying....not so much a sure thing that we'll be favored in game 2 on the road...in fact, i'll call it doubtful. the game's 8 months away, so we'll see......I'm sure as heck ain't gonna predict W/L outcome......because I have no effin idea...lol

Perhaps the concern with the DL is not the starters. They may not have the depth to rotate like they did last year. This could spell trouble late in games when guys are beat down.

Did you even watch your team play last year with an NFL caliber QB and a stud DL? PITT is going to eat up penn state's interior on both sides of the ball. I do think penn state has the athletes and talent to make it a close game, however with a new QB and playing at Heinz I can't see you guys winning. Should be a fun game

I go back to MRob in '05 and what his mobility and spreading it out did for that (imo) very average OL unit. This offense is deeper at pretty much every position than that offense so there's a lot of reason for optimism.

Still worried about the DTs earlier in the year though.

Antoine White (#93) and Parker Cothren (#41)
both played extensively last year and played well.

Antoine+White+Rutgers+v+Penn+State+vMFJUh8StOSl.jpg

55ff3d33e56fe.image.jpg

7_3044598.jpg

3505623.jpg

55ec82630419a.image.jpg

parker_cothren.0.0.jpg

Did you even watch your team play last year with an NFL caliber QB and a stud DL? PITT is going to eat up penn state's interior on both sides of the ball. I do think penn state has the athletes and talent to make it a close game, however with a new QB and playing at Heinz I can't see you guys winning. Should be a fun game
Did you watch Pitt play last year against teams with a running QB threat? Lights out!!!

Reactions: GoPennState97
Not sure why we're so down on our DTs...remember the DL was the one unit that CJF rotated into games consistently last year, so the younger guys have a lot of significant snaps to build on. Give them another year in the weight room and to work on technique, and there's no reason to believe that a quality pair of grinders won't emerge by September.

yeah...2 guys got playing time. P Cothran got significant time (he's good, but not AJ or Zettel level) and A White got some playing time.......that's it!......those are our starting DTs

the back-ups are talented....but haven't played....they'll be RS Freshmen. besides R Windsor, the others are converted DEs who are going to be asked be big time contributors......not sure they'll be physically ready, but I guess we'll see.

we need the JUCO, Chavis badly

I did say DL...but I meant to say DT......and yeah, we're lacking on DTs...that's a fact. we are not lacking in DEs...I agree with you. thanks for the pics though....we lost that game.

I'm not saying overall we don't have more talent than Pitt....because we clearly do. We just have a weak spot right up the middle which Narduzzi will try to exploit (who wouldn't?). Then....we got a new QB. obviously, McSorely's a much better fit in Moorehead's offense, but I'm not under any delusional that'll he'll immediately come in and tear it up....like McGloin, a 5th year senior, under O'Brien's 1st year. though...he sure as heck will have a ton of weapons at his disposal. then....there's the OL....i mean, who knows what will happen there.

hey...i'm just saying....not so much a sure thing that we'll be favored in game 2 on the road...in fact, i'll call it doubtful. the game's 8 months away, so we'll see......I'm sure as heck ain't gonna predict W/L outcome......because I have no effin idea...lol

If people are being honest, most would admit that it's darn near impossible to predict what this PSU team is going to look like come September. I'm confident that the offense will not resemble what we've watched the past 2 years but I have no idea how effective or efficient it will be, especially early in the season. And while the DL did rotate in a lot of players, until those players consistently make plays, it's fair to question what we have there. We'll likely have a new punter (has to be a major upgrade) and a new kicker, so who knows what to expect from the kicking game. We might get some questions answered in the spring but likely we will be regularly surprised by what we see for at least the first several games. Let's hope that it's more good surprises than bad.

Reactions: PSUPALY
Antoine White (#93) and Parker Cothren (#41)
both played extensively last year and played well.

Antoine+White+Rutgers+v+Penn+State+vMFJUh8StOSl.jpg

55ff3d33e56fe.image.jpg

7_3044598.jpg

3505623.jpg

55ec82630419a.image.jpg

parker_cothren.0.0.jpg

I like the players but just worry about the depth. I also think the pass rush and Nassib's emergence was in no small part to the work Zettel and Johnson were occupying on the inside. Sickels would seem to be the heir apparent to Nassib's role but need the DTs to be worthy enough to draw some double teams.

Pitt also has a huge weak spot right up the middle on D and at LB. They are not eating anything up. Not good when you are facing Barkley and Sanders. In addition, Pitt is thin at DB. Maddox was toast last year against any tall receiver he faced. By the way, we have two 6'4 coming off their redshirts. The other corner might be manned by a true Freshman. On offense, Pitt had 1 thing going for them last year and that was teams respecting Tyler Boyd. Pitt will be facing a lot of defenses this year playing guys up at the line forcing them to beat them with the pass.

Last edited:

In fact, the attitude reminds me quite a bit of pre-48-14. LOL

Reactions: Agoodnap
Look, if we back out, we'd never hear the end of it from the mouth-breathers.

Who ever said anything about backing out... this is something you just made up and now will be all over the Pitt board. Use your freaking head! The only debate is whether its beneficial for Penn State or not. I don't think it's beneficial, as we should play P5 teams from outside our current footprint. We are already known to kids in western PA, so it's not going to help exposure with them. Lets play UNC/NC State or South Carolina or Georgia where it may help recruiting.

Reactions: m48tank

Cothren and White played extensively last season and I don't remember PSU getting "gashed" in those games when they were in. As far as McSorley, or Stevens, tearing it up, Hack wasn't tearing it up either so...nothing different.

Reactions: Jdl157
yeah...2 guys got playing time. P Cothran got significant time (he's good, but not AJ or Zettel level) and A White got some playing time.......that's it!......those are our starting DTs

the back-ups are talented....but haven't played....they'll be RS Freshmen. besides R Windsor, the others are converted DEs who are going to be asked be big time contributors......not sure they'll be physically ready, but I guess we'll see.

we need the JUCO, Chavis badly

How much playing time did Nassib get before 2015? What did that mean for when he finally got in there? Just because you are a backup the prior year behind an older player doesn't mean you are a scrub. I can't believe I have to explain these things to people.

IT'S HOW IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED AT PENN STATE AND EVERY OTHER COLLEGE.

OMG...we have someone who is going to be starting who WAS A BACKUP LAST YEAR. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.

Cothren and White played extensively last season and I don't remember PSU getting "gashed" in those games when they were in. As far as McSorley, or Stevens, tearing it up, Hack wasn't tearing it up either so...nothing different.
Actually I remember complaints and comments that the second team DL played too much because they would let the opposition drive the field and then the first team guys came in to shut it down.

Pitt also has a huge week spot right up the middle on D and at LB. They are not eating anything up. Not good when you are facing Barkley and Sanders. In addition, Pitt is thin at DB. Maddox was toast last year against any tall receiver he faced. By the way, we have two 6'4 coming off their redshirts. The other corner might be manned by a true Freshman. On offense, Pitt had 1 thing going for them last year and that was teams respecting Tyler Boyd. Pitt will be facing a lot of defenses this year playing guys up at the line forcing them to beat them with the pass.

yeah, so that's the other side of the equation....Pitt's defense is horrendous.....I watched Navy (who's a good time, no doubt) compile 590 effin yards and 32 1st downs which I thought was unbelievable. Narduzzi won't see much of an upgrade at all on that side of the ball....i mean, i guess Hamlin will play, but the front 7 isn't going to scare anyone.

though, their strength is their OL and RBs....they'll be PSU's biggest concern. Peterman's a solid QB, but he clearly makes some mistakes w/some pressure. the problem w/Pitt's offense next year is they have zero outside threat....the skill position on offense are severely lacking...no Boyd & Holtz will hurt....they don't have significant talent to replace those 2 unless Flowers does something as a true freshmen.

so, they way I look at it, Pitt's going to be playing a lot of ball control since the running game will be their strength.......so, if we finally have a competent offense (which we haven't seen in 2 years) and a get a lead, force Pitt to throw, PSU will be looking pretty.....our defense will be set up to succeed while having a lead next year w/our stud DE's and back 7 which will be a strength for us.

i guess it comes down to our offense...shocker. I mean, we have so many weapons and Pitt's defense is poor....any resemblance of competence on Offense should product points.....but that's a very optimistic point of view.....it's one of those things, I have to see it first.

How much playing time did Nassib get before 2015? What did that mean for when he finally got in there? Just because you are a backup the prior year behind an older player doesn't mean you are a scrub. I can't believe I have to explain these things to people.

IT'S HOW IT HAS ALWAYS WORKED AT PENN STATE AND EVERY OTHER COLLEGE.

OMG...we have someone who is going to be starting who WAS A BACKUP LAST YEAR. WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.

While I agree with the essence of your post, be careful using Nassib as an example because he clearly is an outlier. It would not be reasonable to expect another player to duplicate what he did this past year. But that's exactly why I said in another post that because of all of the uncertainty surrounding this team going into 2016, it's really gonna be fun watching what happens. We have no idea who amongst the new contributors will make a really big impact, but someone will. Hopefully, several will. And I agree that that's the case for many schools all over the country.

Pitt also has a huge week spot right up the middle on D and at LB. They are not eating anything up. Not good when you are facing Barkley and Sanders. In addition, Pitt is thin at DB. Maddox was toast last year against any tall receiver he faced. By the way, we have two 6'4 coming off their redshirts. The other corner might be manned by a true Freshman. On offense, Pitt had 1 thing going for them last year and that was teams respecting Tyler Boyd. Pitt will be facing a lot of defenses this year playing guys up at the line forcing them to beat them with the pass.
You do bring up some valid points. Jarrett was a great at the beginning of the season last year on the DL last year but needs to work on conditioning. To go along with Price and Hendrix and a few good players rotating in it can be a solid group against your OL. I have faith Duzz will have a game plan against a new QB to cause havoc so your receivers are contained but that will be a favorable matchup for penn state. Also, losing Boyd is huge but Peterman and Voytik had tunnel vision the last two years. IF, some of our receivers can get open it may not be the worst thing for Peterman. There's mismatches across the board and I think it will be a great game.

Reactions: mean15

gashed?...of course we didn't gashed....our defense was great....we had Zettel, AJ, & Barney along w/Cothren & White.....now we have RS Freshmen replacing the 1st 3 (including 2 that will play in the NFL)

and A White did NOT get significant playing time....he was the 5th man in that rotation in 2015. dude...trust me, our DT situation in 2016 is a major concern.

Well it certainly did last year against Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Miami. Oh wait Pitt lost those home games at Heinz.
The administration is strategizing so as many returning PITT season ticket holders and Pitt fans get the seats. I think the game will look a lot like the Pitt , Notre dame game last year.

ADVERTISEMENT