ADVERTISEMENT

PC being set up at OSU (and results of, and reaction to, BOT decision)

Possibly a few, but as long as he is there pumping kids into the league....kids will go there. He might have the 6th ranked class instead of 2nd....possibly...oh the horror of it.
Yeah, that seems about right, but in a PSU vs Ohio State rivalry that is decided by explosive plays and close margins, it may be an advantage for the good guys.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
That is just incredible.....and they dont think this guy lied or directly mislead?hes an old pro clearly.
And if he has no moral compass to keep him from lying in this situation, what does everyone think he’s doing on the recruiting trail? To me that’s the bigger issue in terms of his coaching....I always suspected Urban would lie, cheat and steal to get a recruit and all this pretty much shows that he will.

Urban Meyer keeping Ohio State job shows winning is everything
Experts_Headshots_PatForde_400x400.png.cf.jpg

Pat Forde
Yahoo SportsAug 22, 2018, 10:04 PM

When you have a .901 winning percentage and a recent national championship ring, it can empower a man. It can excuse a lot of other stuff. It can enable a man to keep his job despite significant scandal and embarrassment within his program. It can help a man get a pass for keeping a seriously troubled employee on his staff — an employee accused multiple times of beating his wife, an employee whose behavior prompted the big winner’s own wife to text these three words: “He scares me.”

A .901 winning percentage and a recent national championship ring can entitle a man to tell bald-faced lies when asked whether he knew about that employee allegedly beating his wife. It can provide him the wiggle room to walk back those statements, when proven false, with a vague sentence or two.

The Buckeyes have one of the largest and loudest lunatic fan fringes, which contributes to the school’s “Winning Is Everything” rep.

A school that grandiosely refers to itself as THE Ohio State University will be called THE Sex Toy University on rival campuses this fall. Or worse.

Reactions: john4psu
"Urban, what would you say to Courtney Smith?" -Reporter
"I'm sorry we're in this situation" -Urban

That line right there sums up everything and how much a piece of shit Urban really is.

Whether he wants to believe his apology or not, the correct answer would have been something along the lines of, "I would say I'm sorry to Courtney for what she has gone through, and we want to make sure something like this never happens again"

Urban is very very poor with his words (lying through his teeth). He looked like a nervous 5th grade student up there, head down, speeding through his written PR statement at the podium.

Trying to look at this objectively:
  • Meyer was trying to take care of his mentor's troubled kid. Nice to be set up with a $400k plus inherit daddy's wealth. At some point, you've got to throw in the towel on that.
  • Apparently, nobody feels Smith's wife is credible. Or, the cops were coerced. There needs to be an investigation on how the police handled this. The police, as we all know, are above the law in this country. The union is powerful. And they are easily "swayed". Would be interesting to see how many of these police attended games in Ohio since 2015 and how good their seats were.
  • Given Smith's substance abuse and rehab stint, not sure how he can be judged credible and his wife not.
  • Most troubling in all of this, to me, is Meyer getting rid of text messages. To me, that is obstruction. And it is the act of someone who is guilty. Its like not taking the breathalyzer when pulled over for a DUI suspicion.
  • having said all of that tOSU is going through what PSU went through. There is just no way to win in any kind of x-abuse case. You have to attack the accuser, which in the #metoo era, is a loser.
  • Finally, and sadly, tOSU is doing a horrible job...but still doing a light-years better job than PSU did. At least they waited a some time to make an educated decision. Right or wrong, at least it looks like they cared.

Yeah, that seems about right, but in a PSU vs Ohio State rivalry that is decided by explosive plays and close margins, it may be an advantage for the good guys.

And fluke wins. Never forget the fluke wins.

Reactions: royboy
Somebody needs to get a mic in front of Courtney Smith, because even Shelly Meyer was throwing her under the bus, saying she wasn’t credible.
agree...but that is why these things are so challenging. It comes down to he said she said, without physical evidence. This is where any coach simply is not qualified. They need to turn it over to the officials and let them investigate and come to conclusions. In this case, the police activity is also questionable...and that deserves further scrutiny.

I ask this question of people who have managed large teams. If you were told all of the facts that we now know Urban knew about Smith, what would you do? I would speak with my HR manager and ask, “How to I fire this SOB? Is anyone surprised that a wife beater is also an unfaithful pervert? I wonder what anomalies this guy Smith committed to be Urban’s best recruiter. He has no moral compass.

I wanted to comment last night, but had to go to bed in order to get up early for a kayak trip, which has now been cancelled due to impending bad weather.

What else did anyone expect to happen? I have reserved commenting on this farce for the most part because I wanted to see how it played out. However, I did state on this board before the sham NOT “independent” investigation was announced that UM was not going to be let go because he was too important to the university where football means everything. I did state I thought Gene Smith would fall on his sword and somehow leave the university such being fired or retiring, but obviously I was wrong on that account. Gene with his deep internal ties to the NCAA is the fixer OSU keeps around to keep the NCAA at bay and prevent any real NCAA sanctions from ever being imposed upon the university athletic programs (see tattoo-gate).

What happened here was the classic cover-up of a serious problem. The so-called “independent” investigation was anything but independent or thorough, but provides cover that something “major” was done by the university. It gives OSU and their fans plausible deniability. So the Buckeye fans can now say the matter was investigated and nothing of substance was found.

The major punishment handed out is what a lot predicted on this board, a very minor slap on the wrist - UM can’t coach the team for the 3 most meaningless games on game day, which is absolutely laughable. In order to make the penalty any less, they would have banned him from the sidelines during halftime for those games but still could be on the sidelines coaching during the 4 quarters (as someone on the board posted awhile ago). But this still gives the Buckeye fans the argument that Meyer was “punished.” So try arguing with them over this.

I think the new official name for OSU should be Oxymoron State University since Meyer was found guilty of a non-deliberate lie. Why not “unintentional” lie or something like that? A lie is a deliberate act - perhaps this is some sort of lawyer speak, which was crafted over the 12 hours of deliberation (aka CYA). And the apology was to Buckeye nation?

This whole sham of an investigation and so-called outcome just demonstrates the enormous hubris exhibited by OSU and their athletic programs. I’m sure Gene Smith on his leave was using the back channels to deliberate with Emmert and Delaney, and that is why there hasn’t been a peep out of them. And since he was “on leave,” the university can say he did this all on his own and not under the auspices of OSU.

Why am I not surprised about all of this? Because I lived in the Columbus area for 18 years immersed in the toxic football culture there. Everything is done to promote OSU football and you don’t dare say anything disparaging about the football program. Even local law enforcement is in the can for OSU football, helping to insulate the program from anything that can cast it in a bad light.

50,000 students, 40,000 employees, WTF? OSU president revealed these figures at the press conference. Universities and the athletic departments exist to line the pockets of administrators.

I'm pretty sure I know what this refers to. Meyer has cardiac issues and I would assume high blood pressure. He is most likely on meds for both. Specifically, Statins if used long enough will cause short and long term memory loss. You can also have focus and concentration issues.

I take these meds and can attest to these side effects. With that being said, I dont buy it. I think people who take these meds, myself included, may forget simple and minor things, get a timeline mixed up from several years ago, or forget the grocery shopping list, but you dont forget big events, major problems, a crisis, or an ongoing issue. Plus, Meyer is known for his preparation and attention to details.

He is using the meds part as a crutch or out. But it does shed light on Meyer's health and raises questions about his long term viability as a coach. One thing I can guarantee, this scandal and all the negative press,
will take a huge toll on him.

That makes sense about Statins - I've heard that before. Fair comment.

Still, as you said. Forgetting Zach Smith vs. forgetting cheese at the grocery store - that's a big difference in what's being forgotten.

I wanted to comment last night, but had to go to bed in order to get up early for a kayak trip, which has now been cancelled due to impending bad weather.

What else did anyone expect to happen? I have reserved commenting on this farce for the most part because I wanted to see how it played out. However, I did state on this board before the sham NOT “independent” investigation was announced that UM was not going to be let go because he was too important to the university where football means everything. I did state I thought Gene Smith would fall on his sword and somehow leave the university such being fired or retiring, but obviously I was wrong on that account. Gene with his deep internal ties to the NCAA is the fixer OSU keeps around to keep the NCAA at bay and prevent any real NCAA sanctions from ever being imposed upon the university athletic programs (see tattoo-gate).

What happened here was the classic cover-up of a serious problem. The so-called “independent” investigation was anything but independent or thorough, but provides cover that something “major” was done by the university. It gives OSU and their fans plausible deniability. So the Buckeye fans can now say the matter was investigated and nothing of substance was found.

The major punishment handed out is what a lot predicted on this board, a very minor slap on the wrist - UM can’t coach the team for the 3 most meaningless games on game day, which is absolutely laughable. In order to make the penalty any less, they would have banned him from the sidelines during halftime for those games but still could be on the sidelines coaching during the 4 quarters (as someone on the board posted awhile ago). But this still gives the Buckeye fans the argument that Meyer was “punished.” So try arguing with them over this.

I think the new official name for OSU should be Oxymoron State University since Meyer was found guilty of a non-deliberate lie. Why not “unintentional” lie or something like that? A lie is a deliberate act - perhaps this is some sort of lawyer speak, which was crafted over the 12 hours of deliberation (aka CYA). And the apology was to Buckeye nation?

This whole sham of an investigation and so-called outcome just demonstrates the enormous hubris exhibited by OSU and their athletic programs. I’m sure Gene Smith on his leave was using the back channels to deliberate with Emmert and Delaney, and that is why there hasn’t been a peep out of them. And since he was “on leave,” the university can say he did this all on his own and not under the auspices of OSU.

Why am I not surprised about all of this? Because I lived in the Columbus area for 18 years immersed in the toxic football culture there. Everything is done to promote OSU football and you don’t dare say anything disparaging about the football program. Even local law enforcement is in the can for OSU football, helping to insulate the program from anything that can cast it in a bad light.

Local radio, some of the biggest tOSU homers, are HAMMERING Meyer and tOSU. "Meyer the Liar" from UF being brought up. Few defending Meyer. This won't go away soon.

I'm pretty neutral to even positive on Herbstreit in general, but the BS he was peddling was heavy. His logic basically came down to "the coach has too much responsibility to deal with this stuff" and "a head coach isn't the right person to address things like this because they aren't trained for it".

So, Kirk, what should they do? Maybe pass on what they know to the proper folks and then butt the heck out? And what should they do if the person in question doesn't even work for them anymore?
No.
  • Meyer was trying to take care of his mentor's troubled kid. Nice to be set up with a $400k plus inherit daddy's wealth. At some point, you've got to throw in the towel on that.
  • Apparently, nobody feels Smith's wife is credible. Or, the cops were coerced. There needs to be an investigation on how the police handled this. The police, as we all know, are above the law in this country. The union is powerful. And they are easily "swayed". Would be interesting to see how many of these police attended games in Ohio since 2015 and how good their seats were.
  • Given Smith's substance abuse and rehab stint, not sure how he can be judged credible and his wife not.
  • Most troubling in all of this, to me, is Meyer getting rid of text messages. To me, that is obstruction. And it is the act of someone who is guilty. Its like not taking the breathalyzer when pulled over for a DUI suspicion.
  • having said all of that tOSU is going through what PSU went through. There is just no way to win in any kind of x-abuse case. You have to attack the accuser, which in the #metoo era, is a loser.
  • Finally, and sadly, tOSU is doing a horrible job...but still doing a light-years better job than PSU did. At least they waited a some time to make an educated decision. Right or wrong, at least it looks like they cared.
Very well said although I disagree with the last sentence. By not mentioning domestic abuse in general, they failed because it makes it look like they don't care.

As a doc, and someone on statins myself, I think that the whole memory issue associated with that drug is way overblown. If he's going to use that as a defense up the road, it's not going to get much traction. Half of America is on statins, and we're not all going to admit to memory loss.
Yes that is true. Wait, what did you say? I forgot (TIC).

Meyers medical problems at UF were not cardiac in origin as initially thought. His chest pain was discovered to be related to diffuse esophageal spasm, which can mimic cardiogenic chest pain. I know, because I had experienced it, but as a physician figured it out on my own. Once I sought treatment by a gastroenterologist, I have been symptom free. This is typically related to gastroesphageal reflux disease, and after proper diagnosis can be treated with antireflux measures such as the use of proton pump inhibitors.

Meyers reflux was attributed to the great amount of stress he was enduring due to pressure from expectations for winning, having to deal with constant run-ins with the law by many of his talented but criminal like players, and being asked by those above him to get rid of some of his coaching staff, who Meyer was close to, because the team was not performing as expected (that is winning every game).

They're fighting over the soul of ohio state university. The reason it's taking so long is that no one can find it.

Because they are greedy, lying, cheating, ignorant, thieving bastards, every last one of them. They sold their souls a long time ago.

And the PSU BOT is different how?

Reactions: stormingnorm
So, the take away here is that the CORE VALUES really do not apply to the assistant coach, head coach, athletic director, every member of the investigating committee, every member of the board of trustees, and the president of thee ohio sex university. Got it.

Reactions: AvgUser
Did I miss something or have we totally glossed over the fact that Meyer is just banned from being on the field during the first three games, but isn't banned from practice, and thereby game preparation? How is that a suspension?

It seems to me that, if this is true, OSU was more interested in having the optics of discipline while minimizing any negative impact on winning games, even if those games were just OOC games. They know that ESPN is going to scroll "... 3 game suspension...," and that most will think he's out of commission for three weeks. That won't be the case in the least. So he won't get to make a few game-time decisions during games that will be lopsided. Big deal.

I find this to be right up there with making no mention of domestic abuse. The whole thing was a weak attempt to keep the Buckeye Nation happy while appeasing the public. It did neither. And as facts get rehashed and statements parsed, Meyer and OSU are looking worse by the minute.

"Apparently, nobody feels Smith's wife is credible." Keep in mind Obli, (I believe I am correct n this but please correct me if I am not), Mrs. Smith applied for and was granted a restraining order against Zack Smith. So a Court found her to be credible. Now, I understand these orders and PFA's are issued all the time and often without cause. But, I believe after the Order is granted a hearing is scheduled to hear from the party who might oppose the order. It would appear Zack Smith did not challenge it, or if he did, the Court ruled against him. So IMO there is evidence that the legal system believed Courtney.
I agree with you about the police. Someone needs to take a close look at their role. Specifically, in 2015, why did they call Gene Smith? How many here who work in management have ever received a call from the police informing us that our employee may have criminal culpability and we may want to get involved? I am guessing none. In 2015 if the police received a complaint from Courtney and thought "here we go again, another unfounded bogus complaint from Courtney Smith", why the need to call Gene Smith?

OSU’s BOT weren’t paying attention when Freeh presented the findings of his “independent” investigation. All they had to do was slap a summary on the front of the report saying that Urby didn’t know, didn’t lie, didn’t remember and adhered to policy. The dolts in the media would have never read the actual findings! ;)

There are three things you can say in answer to a question: the truth, a false statement that is the result of a mistake, or a lie.

Dem .... At a press conference you can say "I did not prepare to answer any questions regarding that situation. Lets move on."

Reactions: demlion
"Apparently, nobody feels Smith's wife is credible." Keep in mind Obli, (I believe I am correct n this but please correct me if I am not), Mrs. Smith applied for and was granted a restraining order against Zack Smith. So a Court found her to be credible. Now, I understand these orders and PFA's are issued all the time and often without cause. But, I believe after the Order is granted a hearing is scheduled to hear from the party who might oppose the order. It would appear Zack Smith did not challenge it, or if he did, the Court ruled against him. So IMO there is evidence that the legal system believed Courtney.
I agree with you about the police. Someone needs to take a close look at their role. Specifically, in 2015, why did they call Gene Smith? How many here who work in management have ever received a call from the police informing us that our employee may have criminal culpability and we may want to get involved? I am guessing none. In 2015 if the police received a complaint from Courtney and thought "here we go again, another unfounded bogus complaint from Courtney Smith", why the need to call Gene Smith?

If Shelley Smith didn't find Courtney credible, why did she text Courtney that Zach "scared her (Shelley)"?

agree...but that is why these things are so challenging. It comes down to he said she said, without physical evidence. This is where any coach simply is not qualified. They need to turn it over to the officials and let them investigate and come to conclusions. In this case, the police activity is also questionable...and that deserves further scrutiny.
Turning it over to the officials is kind of hard to do when you have your personal fixer talk her out of filing charges. Gathering physical evidence is kind of hard to do when you pressure her to make it go away.

in ohio, if you apply for one, you'll get one. No judge will turn it down, have someone get hurt, and then have to defend that decision. Nobody in their right mind would fight it. "your honor, I want to be within 100 yards of my ex-wife". Won't work, non-starter. The only time is if there are mitigating circumstances like they work at the same company or live in the same apartment complex. And then, the order is permitted with specific call outs. Fighting it, typically by the guy, just makes it look like you are more obsessed and likely to do damage.

..... the HC should have help if they are being held to such high off-field standards. Just like Joe, it wasn’t his place to investigate Jerry, nor should it have been Urban’s to investigate Zach.

In today’s world we want to hold the CEO accountable for every action of their employees. It’s impossible to monitor behavior outside of the office.

Totally agree. The police did nothing. The respective parents seemingly did nothing. Its all up to the football coach. What does that say about our society?

Turning it over to the officials is kind of hard to do when you have your personal fixer talk her out of filing charges. Gathering physical evidence is kind of hard to do when you pressure her to make it go away.
Agree...if it was a "personal fixer". Is that the case? IDK. It may have been Earle Bruce's personal fixer and not Meyer's.

No.
By not mentioning domestic abuse in general, they failed because it makes it look like they don't care.

It’s not that they don’t care about DV. I really think that they believe Courtney is not a victim of DV. How else can you explain the obvious avoidance of the topic and Urban, when given the olive branch to say something to her, says I’m sorry were in this position. Not even a feigned empathic response.

It’s not that they don’t care about DV. I really think that they believe Courtney is not a victim of DV. How else can you explain the obvious avoidance of the topic and Urban, when given the olive branch to say something to her, says I’m sorry were in this position. Not even a feigned empathic response.
to me, statement was a combo of two things: 1) hubris and power. how can you blame this on me, I am Urban Freakin Meyer! 2) civil litigation avoidance.

Could be on advice of counsel ... does not want Courtney after him in a civil proceeding.

Reactions: PSUSignore
We attempted to, but were unable to retrieve text messages for certain witnesses, including AD Gene Smith, Brian Voltolini, Chief of Football Operations, and Zach Smith.

And these guys (plus Meyer) just decided to delete EVERYTHING? Nothing shady going on at all....

last night after the conference, I decided to pop up the newest episode of better call saul on the DVR. After it was over, I deleted it and it went back to ESPN just in time to see tOSU students being interviewed about the suspension. Did you know that it's a good thing he wasn't fired because this issue wasn't a football issue? this is what tOSU students believe, per the three that were interviewed. #winning

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT