ADVERTISEMENT

PC being set up at OSU (and results of, and reaction to, BOT decision)

wrong! it is "THE Meyer State University" or tMSU.

urban_meyer.jpg

Dustin Fox, radio announcer/Browns sideline reporter/former tOSU DB, stating that he is "sad, as a tOSU alum". Said that the press release and report are a total joke. Both him and his sidekick, the Bull, are hammering tOSU.

Dustin Fox, radio announcer/Browns sideline reporter/former tOSU DB, stating that he is "sad, as a tOSU alum". Said that the press release and report are a total joke. Both him and his sidekick, the Bull, are hammering tOSU.
Dustin Fox's brother is former starting DB for Penn State, Derek Fox. He likely has more insight regarding the handling of Paterno vs. Meyer than the average OSU fan.

I'm pretty sure I know what this refers to. Meyer has cardiac issues and I would assume high blood pressure. He is most likely on meds for both. Specifically, Statins if used long enough will cause short and long term memory loss. You can also have focus and concentration issues.

I take these meds and can attest to these side effects. With that being said, I dont buy it. I think people who take these meds, myself included, may forget simple and minor things, get a timeline mixed up from several years ago, or forget the grocery shopping list, but you dont forget big events, major problems, a crisis, or an ongoing issue. Plus, Meyer is known for his preparation and attention to details.

He is using the meds part as a crutch or out. But it does shed light on Meyer's health and raises questions about his long term viability as a coach. One thing I can guarantee, this scandal and all the negative press,
will take a huge toll on him.
He sure remembered to get his text messages scrubbed from his phone...

I'm curious why more is not being made of Smith's 2015 police report. He was arrested and the box was checked, and the report was altered in 2018. Would like to see someone pull back the curtain on the Powell police department.

Reactions: Lion Lineage
Jim Rome spent the day ripping the hell out of OSU on his national radio show.

Buckeye Nation

Ohio State fans, I need a word with you.
AUGUST 23, 2018 - 10:32 AM
Takes
Ohio State fans, I need a word with you. And let’s start with this: don’t come in here and tell me that the punishment is strict because Meyer is going to miss the game against #16 TCU. First off, he returns to practice well before that game, and secondly, that’s embarrassing. You embarrass yourselves with that take.

Again, five games for tattoos for Terrelle Pryor three games for protecting an alleged wife beater and lying about it. Enough said.

Just as you embarrass yourselves when you say that Ohio State shouldn’t take criticism because they didn’t apologize to Courtney Smith, because they weren’t the ones who allegedly assaulted her. Let me help with you this too... Here’s an easy apology: Courtney, I am so sorry for what you and your children went through and that we did not do enough to help or protect you.

And you embarrass yourselves when you argue that Urban Meyer shouldn’t have been fired because he didn’t commit a crime. Oh, really, that’s the hill you want to die on? That your head coach didn’t commit a crime. If that bar was any lower it would be a sewage pipe.

If memory serves, I seem to recall plenty of Ohio State fans riding around on their high horses when Penn State was in the midst of their scandal. Where are those high horses now? Or are you only interested in morals and values when it’s someone else’s team?

It’s almost as embarrassing as Urban Meyer claiming that he regrets not paying attention to the red flags about Zach Smith. Hey chief…, there was a damn parade of red flags over nearly a decade together. You just looked the other way because he was your mentor’s grandson.

Which also raises the issue of Meyer claiming that he maybe gave Smith a pass because he was his mentor’s grandson, but really only knew of him in a professional context. So which is it – it’s a personal relationship that you had, and a blind spot or a guy you barely knew? Because it can’t be both.

And speaking of embarrassing, let’s check out some of the details from the school’s investigation.

How about this beauty from after the report that Urban Meyer knew about the 2015 incident and had lied about it at Big 12 Media Days?

The investigative team found that: “Upon seeing this report when it first came out (at about 10:17 a.m.), Brian Voltolini, who was on the practice field with Coach Meyer went to speak with him, commenting that this was “a bad article.” The two discussed at that time whether the media could get access to Coach Meyer’s phone, and specifically discussed how to adjust the settings on Meyer’s phone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted.”

That’s weird. Someone writes a “bad article” about what you knew and when you knew it, and you immediately chat with your director of football operations about how to delete old text messages from your phone.

And hey, here’s a side benefit of deleting all texts from before the previous year – not only do you wipe out the chance of a text that confirms that you knew about the 2015 report, but you erase any possible text messages with your wife, Shelley, who had been texting with Courtney about Zach’s assault. Bonus!

The investigation went on to write: It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-2016 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to information and discussing how to delete messages older than a year.

Gee, you think that’s concerning? Maybe just a little? Might that be an admission of guilt?!? Possibly?!?

Here’s another gem, this time from lead investigator Mary Jo White, referring to Meyer’s Big Ten Media Days comments about the 2015 allegations: "While those denials were plainly not accurate, Coach Meyer did not in our view deliberately lie."

I’m sorry, what? He denied something that was plainly not accurate, then erased his text messages, but it was not a deliberate lie? What was it then? One of those accidental lies that gets repeated nine times?

This crew is working awfully hard to make sure that Meyer can keep his job. And that’s before we even get into the fact that Meyer never told Ohio State about the 2009 incident when Zach Smith was hired. That’s a weird memory lapse. How does that happen?

Well, funny you should ask, because here is where the crap really starts flying. Let’s go back to findings of the investigation for one of the all-time great excuses: “We also learned during the investigation that Coach Meyer has sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events. He has also periodically taken medicine that can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus.”

W. T. F.

Seriously. That’s what you’re going with? That he takes medication and sometimes that medication means that he can’t remember things that he has “prior extensive knowledge of”?!? That is a truly legendary excuse.

One of the alleged greatest coaches in college football history, a guy who is always the smartest person in every room, is saying that he can’t remember things because he takes medicine and that erases his memory. Have some bleeping pride, man. Just admit that you lied, because that’s a much better look than “my meds make me forget things.”

Sorry, I forgot about the 2015 allegations regarding one of my employees and I accused people of making it up. It’s a side effect of some medicine I take. Anyway…back to coaching!

How can someone actually try to spin such garbage?

By the way, do you really want a head coach who has no memory, can’t concentrate, and can’t focus?

Are those important attributes during game situations? Or do the meds only kick in when a staff member is accused of criminal behavior?

I know those prescription commercials on TV have a long list of side effects, but I’ve never heard: warning, causes patient to lie about anything that might make him look bad. I’m sure he has a great memory for the good things, though. Don’t worry about that.

There’s more. There really is, but one more time for the people in the back, Urban Meyer didn’t forget anything. Urban Meyer didn’t learn anything. Urban Meyer hasn’t changed a bit. Urban Meyer cares about one thing and one thing only: Urban Meyer.

Urban Meyer does not care about values, Urban Meyer cares about wins. Ohio State does not care about values, Ohio State cares about wins. Everyone suspected it before, now we know it.

Dustin Fox's brother is former starting DB for Penn State, Derek Fox. He likely has more insight regarding the handling of Paterno vs. Meyer than the average OSU fan.
it is interesting....just reading Jim Rome's take (and he's an idiot too) but it really seems like most of them are avoiding "Paterno". You get a few "penn states" but not Paterno. The local show, started to bring up Paterno but then said "I don't want to go down that path" and terminated it. Why? Because they don't want to state that what Joe did was correct and was better than Meyer?

I'm curious why more is not being made of Smith's 2015 police report. He was arrested and the box was checked, and the report was altered in 2018. Would like to see someone pull back the curtain on the Powell police department.
According to the report, no arrest/charges in 2015 is the reason UM didn't believe Courtney and didn't report Zach.

Before yesterday I never thought I would see a more inept criminal than OJ Simpson. Until I read this report. If the best they could do to cover up their crimes is “Urban takes medication which makes him forget things”, it really is apparent why they can’t cheat better than Alabama. Apparently they are completly inept in every way, not just morally bankrupt.

Reactions: berklion
Before yesterday I never thought I would see a more inept criminal than OJ Simpson. Until I read this report. If the best they could do to cover up their crimes is “Urban takes medication which makes him forget things”, it really is apparent why they can’t cheat better than Alabama. Apparently they are completly inept in every way, not just morally bankrupt.
Hey, my kid goes to Alabama. Those beautiful dorms aren't going to build themselves.

Last edited:

LOL...great point.
get-out-of-jail-free-card.jpg

I ask this question of people who have managed large teams. If you were told all of the facts that we now know Urban knew about Smith, what would you do? I would speak with my HR manager and ask, “How to I fire this SOB? Is anyone surprised that a wife beater is also an unfaithful pervert? I wonder what anomalies this guy Smith committed to be Urban’s best recruiter. He has no moral compass.
And Urban has no moral compass obviously, so how does everyone think that plays into his recruiting? If he’s willing to lie a million times in this situation, what are the chances he will bend the rules to get a recruit? If for no other reason than this, the NCAA should investigate him.

And Urban has no moral compass obviously, so how does everyone think that plays into his recruiting? If he’s willing to lie a million times in this situation, what are the chances he will bend the rules to get a recruit? If for no other reason than this, the NCAA should investigate him.

Ohio State was a football factory last week. They are still a football factory today. They are very good at developing players and sending them to the NFL. For the recruits that have that as their top priority, the fact that Urban Meyer has no personal or professional ethics isn't going to matter that much to them. I think this entire scandal will effect their recruiting by like 5%. Will probably swing a recruit or two to us in 2019 and 2020 that maybe we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Reactions: Madsol
Ohio State was a football factory last week. They are still a football factory today. They are very good at developing players and sending them to the NFL. For the recruits that have that as their top priority, the fact that Urban Meyer has no personal or professional ethics isn't going to matter that much to them. I think this entire scandal will effect their recruiting by like 5%. Will probably swing a recruit or two to us in 2019 and 2020 that maybe we wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
I get that, but what it shows me is Urban is the cheat I always thought he was.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Ohio State cheating is not news. Clarett told the world he was getting paid. A significant western PA recruit's mother was given a very nice car, while the player drove one from a dealership and amassed many speeding tickets that seemed to bother no one. There was the free tats and the stuff sold on Ebay. Etc etc etc. Only a total fool would think that OSU is above board.

No wonder the former president used to joke that he hoped that the football coach wouldn't fire him.

Reactions: odshowtime
So I'm watching reporters going crazy about the deleated texts. What I'm hearing is "those texts exist somewhere, on other phones, or on servers . They don't go away" ..this stuff is not over. EVERYONE wants to get their hands on those texts. I'm pretty sure someone will.

So I'm watching reporters going crazy about the deleated texts. What I'm hearing is "those texts exist somewhere, on other phones, or on servers . They don't go away" ..this stuff is not over. EVERYONE wants to get their hands on those texts. I'm pretty sure someone will.
I have read that cell phone providers only store metadata such as the phone numbers, date, time, etc. and not the message text. I have no idea if that's true, it's just what I've read on other boards in the last 24 hours.

Reactions: demlion
Game day sign “Hey Urban, how do I delete old text messages I don’t want people to read?”

Or “With the benefit of hindsight, I deleted all my old texts”

There are consequences to the decisions UM and tOSU have made, and they’re going to be dealing with them for a long time. They will regret how this was handled at some point. Also, sounds like Brett McMurphy isn’t done.

Urban and his pals didn't delete the texts because he thought the "media" would get them. How would they? he deleted them because he didn't want OSU admin or law enforcement to get them. And, they must have really been deleted, because the law firm wasn't able to retrieve them. That tells me that someonw from OSU IT was likely involved.

Correct the phone company has them and they CAN be retrieved

I have read that cell phone providers only store metadata such as the phone numbers, date, time, etc. and not the message text. I have no idea if that's true, it's just what I've read on other boards in the last 24 hours.

About three years I know of a friend who was able to retrieve texts from the phone company
May be different now ?

Last edited:
Reactions: demlion
About three years I now of a friend who was able to retrieve texts from the phone company
May be different now ?
A subpoena by law enforcement to the phone carrier would determine if they exist for certain.

I'm sure the local PD, who has been nothing but completely ethical through this will be all over that. But I won't be holding my breath.

Reactions: odshowtime
Jim Rome spent the day ripping the hell out of OSU on his national radio show.

Buckeye Nation

Ohio State fans, I need a word with you.
AUGUST 23, 2018 - 10:32 AM
Takes
Ohio State fans, I need a word with you. And let’s start with this: don’t come in here and tell me that the punishment is strict because Meyer is going to miss the game against #16 TCU. First off, he returns to practice well before that game, and secondly, that’s embarrassing. You embarrass yourselves with that take.

Again, five games for tattoos for Terrelle Pryor three games for protecting an alleged wife beater and lying about it. Enough said.

Just as you embarrass yourselves when you say that Ohio State shouldn’t take criticism because they didn’t apologize to Courtney Smith, because they weren’t the ones who allegedly assaulted her. Let me help with you this too... Here’s an easy apology: Courtney, I am so sorry for what you and your children went through and that we did not do enough to help or protect you.

And you embarrass yourselves when you argue that Urban Meyer shouldn’t have been fired because he didn’t commit a crime. Oh, really, that’s the hill you want to die on? That your head coach didn’t commit a crime. If that bar was any lower it would be a sewage pipe.

If memory serves, I seem to recall plenty of Ohio State fans riding around on their high horses when Penn State was in the midst of their scandal. Where are those high horses now? Or are you only interested in morals and values when it’s someone else’s team?

It’s almost as embarrassing as Urban Meyer claiming that he regrets not paying attention to the red flags about Zach Smith. Hey chief…, there was a damn parade of red flags over nearly a decade together. You just looked the other way because he was your mentor’s grandson.

Which also raises the issue of Meyer claiming that he maybe gave Smith a pass because he was his mentor’s grandson, but really only knew of him in a professional context. So which is it – it’s a personal relationship that you had, and a blind spot or a guy you barely knew? Because it can’t be both.

And speaking of embarrassing, let’s check out some of the details from the school’s investigation.

How about this beauty from after the report that Urban Meyer knew about the 2015 incident and had lied about it at Big 12 Media Days?

The investigative team found that: “Upon seeing this report when it first came out (at about 10:17 a.m.), Brian Voltolini, who was on the practice field with Coach Meyer went to speak with him, commenting that this was “a bad article.” The two discussed at that time whether the media could get access to Coach Meyer’s phone, and specifically discussed how to adjust the settings on Meyer’s phone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted.”

That’s weird. Someone writes a “bad article” about what you knew and when you knew it, and you immediately chat with your director of football operations about how to delete old text messages from your phone.

And hey, here’s a side benefit of deleting all texts from before the previous year – not only do you wipe out the chance of a text that confirms that you knew about the 2015 report, but you erase any possible text messages with your wife, Shelley, who had been texting with Courtney about Zach’s assault. Bonus!

The investigation went on to write: It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-2016 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to information and discussing how to delete messages older than a year.

Gee, you think that’s concerning? Maybe just a little? Might that be an admission of guilt?!? Possibly?!?

Here’s another gem, this time from lead investigator Mary Jo White, referring to Meyer’s Big Ten Media Days comments about the 2015 allegations: "While those denials were plainly not accurate, Coach Meyer did not in our view deliberately lie."

I’m sorry, what? He denied something that was plainly not accurate, then erased his text messages, but it was not a deliberate lie? What was it then? One of those accidental lies that gets repeated nine times?

This crew is working awfully hard to make sure that Meyer can keep his job. And that’s before we even get into the fact that Meyer never told Ohio State about the 2009 incident when Zach Smith was hired. That’s a weird memory lapse. How does that happen?

Well, funny you should ask, because here is where the crap really starts flying. Let’s go back to findings of the investigation for one of the all-time great excuses: “We also learned during the investigation that Coach Meyer has sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events. He has also periodically taken medicine that can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus.”

W. T. F.

Seriously. That’s what you’re going with? That he takes medication and sometimes that medication means that he can’t remember things that he has “prior extensive knowledge of”?!? That is a truly legendary excuse.

One of the alleged greatest coaches in college football history, a guy who is always the smartest person in every room, is saying that he can’t remember things because he takes medicine and that erases his memory. Have some bleeping pride, man. Just admit that you lied, because that’s a much better look than “my meds make me forget things.”

Sorry, I forgot about the 2015 allegations regarding one of my employees and I accused people of making it up. It’s a side effect of some medicine I take. Anyway…back to coaching!

How can someone actually try to spin such garbage?

By the way, do you really want a head coach who has no memory, can’t concentrate, and can’t focus?

Are those important attributes during game situations? Or do the meds only kick in when a staff member is accused of criminal behavior?

I know those prescription commercials on TV have a long list of side effects, but I’ve never heard: warning, causes patient to lie about anything that might make him look bad. I’m sure he has a great memory for the good things, though. Don’t worry about that.

There’s more. There really is, but one more time for the people in the back, Urban Meyer didn’t forget anything. Urban Meyer didn’t learn anything. Urban Meyer hasn’t changed a bit. Urban Meyer cares about one thing and one thing only: Urban Meyer.

Urban Meyer does not care about values, Urban Meyer cares about wins. Ohio State does not care about values, Ohio State cares about wins. Everyone suspected it before, now we know it.

Not a Jim Rome fan but HOLY SH!T does he expose how degenerate the football culture is at tOSU and how 18-22 year old kids winning a game means more to them than their university’s reputation.

There are consequences to the decisions UM and tOSU have made, and they’re going to be dealing with them for a long time. They will regret how this was handled at some point. Also, sounds like Brett McMurphy isn’t done.

I was one of the seemingly few here who thought he would get fired. I’m not sure if OSU is going to regret their decision or how they handled it, but I do think they very well might. We know well here how the media lynch mob railroading process works and in my brief reading and radio listening today it’s early stages are clearly in full swing. Will they keep it going until they get their scalp or will they move on to something else? We shall see.

I was one of the seemingly few here who thought he would get fired. I’m not sure if OSU is going to regret their decision or how they handled it, but I do think they very well might. We know well here how the media lynch mob railroading process works and in my brief reading and radio listening today it’s early stages are clearly in full swing. Will they keep it going until they get their scalp or will they move on to something else? We shall see.

USA TODAY, Denver Post, ESPN, Orlando Sentinel, sports talking heads like Jim Rome, the Washington Post (hitting Meyer hard about deleting his texts) are all excoriating tOSU. It’s most everyone in the media, big to small. The outrage train is about to roll through Columbus and crush a few buckeyes.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
It appears that his texts were subject of a foia request at the time he deleted them. That’s why he was worried about the media getting them. It is suggested in the report that even though the AD and others knew of the foia request, miraculously, no one informed urban, so it was just a coincidence that urban deleted them all the day before his phone was seized.

Probably a crime was committed here, but osu seems determined to cover it up.

I wonder if Tosu and urban agreed to part ways after this season. This obviously is not a good time to search for a coach.

It appears that his texts were subject of a foia request at the time he deleted them. That’s why he was worried about the media getting them. It is suggested in the report that even though the AD and others knew of the foia request, miraculously, no one informed urban, so it was just a coincidence that urban deleted them all the day before his phone was seized.

Deleting the texts should have gotten him fired. It’s embarrassing for the university, makes it look like he’s trying to hide something (and I’m sure he is), and he was already caught lying. Plus you have to question his judgment. All of that is more than enough reason to fire him - and we haven’t even brought up his failure to report the alleged abuse to the Title IX Office, something he was contractually obligated to do.

The guy who talked with UM about his phone on August 1 knew about the FOIA request and was instructed to get UM's phone on July 26. That's a fact.

Urban and his pals didn't delete the texts because he thought the "media" would get them. How would they? he deleted them because he didn't want OSU admin or law enforcement to get them. And, they must have really been deleted, because the law firm wasn't able to retrieve them. That tells me that someonw from OSU IT was likely involved.

Actually it was stated earlier that once they found out he asked about deleting them, no one ever actually followed up to even check his phone. I forget which reported found that but it’s out there. Too funny if you ask me.

The guy who talked with UM about his phone on August 1 knew about the FOIA request and was instructed to get UM's phone on July 26. That's a fact.
You mean The OSU’s Head of Football Operations?

You mean The OSU’s Head of Football Operations?

That would be Brian Voltolini, the same Brian Voltoloni who, per the report, OSU was not able to obtain his text records. Wonder why that was??

Brian Voltoloni's wife Lindsey was said to have had an extensive texting history with Courtney Smith. Would have been interesting to see the texts between the Voltoloni's.

Reactions: ImaWright
That would be Brian Voltolini, the same Brian Voltoloni who, per the report, OSU was not able to obtain his text records. Wonder why that was??

Brian Voltoloni's wife Lindsey was said to have had an extensive texting history with Courtney Smith. Would have been interesting to see the texts between the Voltoloni's.
These people are disgusting. It is not just the cover up, the hiding of evidence, the lying, but the complete and utter subhuman response to a victim in need. They all had the power to help someone who obviously reached out to just about everyone she should have been able to trust with authority in Columbus including the police and Ohio St officials at seemingly every level. And they all turned their backs, for a game, for a damned game.

It's no wonder society is riddled with abusers. We let it happen. We don't demand accountability. And in Ohio St's case, they cared more about a game than a life.

This culture empowers predators. It is why hundreds of wrestlers were permitted to be sexually molested and why young ladies on a diving team were as well. It is why a band director is emboldened to openly institute sexual rituals into his organization. And it's why a football coach who twice hired, promoted, and protected an alcoholic, drug abusing, pregnant wife choking, sexual pervert for 10 years at 2 different universities was reinstated in time for the games that matter.

Sadly, this can only embolden more abusers. At Ohio St abuse is unimportant. Football is important. Lives, student athletes, women, not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT