ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro named in ISU gambling probe

If it holds up, Iowa will return 21.0 of their 82.5 NCAA points from last year. Only Real Woods’ 19 points will return + Kennedy (1.5) and Teske (.5).
They also added

Victor Voinovich - 1
Jared Franek - 13.5
Michael Caliendo - 6.5

Reactions: Gray52
Not sure if this was discussed before, but why so many athletes from the state of Iowa? Seems odd to me that Iowa State and Iowa got hit so hard and no other teams from other states. Is the investigation ongoing with more to come?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Who goes at heavy now? Bradley Hill or does Kueter go after football season?

Not sure if this was discussed before, but why so many athletes from the state of Iowa? Seems odd to me that Iowa State and Iowa got hit so hard and no other teams from other states. Is the investigation ongoing with more to come?
As far as I know, Iowa is the only state that one can gamble on Ncaa wrestling.

Jimmy Two Times Goodfellas GIF

Reactions: PAHURDLER

The Hawkeye women's basketball team made a nice run and some are guessing that bets were placed on them. Women's basketball interfering with wrestling once again.

I don't know the explanation for Iowa State.

I made this point upthread, but the answer is likely that Iowa was the only state that's bothered to investigate thus far. If AGs from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, etc. (all states where online sports betting is legal), went looking they'd probably have little trouble finding defendants.

Coaches everywhere else would be wise to view this as an opportunity to explain to students that they're particularly vulnerable if they're operating an account either themselves or via a proxy (parent or friend). As opposed to assuming that it doesn't happen here because we were brought up right.

Given the ubiquity of Draft Kings and Fan Duel and popularity of online gambling (if you watch sports on TV every third ad is for a gambling product), I'd bet that similar cross-sections of players as were found in Iowa are doing what the Iowa students were doing and just haven't been caught because no one has bothered to look. If the Iowa investigation had only uncovered, say, fewer than five across each school, maybe it makes sense that it's an isolated Iowa thing. I think it's far more likely that it's a college student-athlete thing.

They also added

Victor Voinovich - 1
Jared Franek - 13.5
Michael Caliendo - 6.5
They also have Ayala returning (0.5 pts in 2021) --> 42.5 returning pts assuming both Kennedy and Caliendo in the lineup (one at 174).

Returning points after the 4 Hawks are disqualified:
1 - PSU 143.0
2 - Cornell 62.0
3 - Missouri 61.0
4 - NC State 48.0
T5 - Nebraska 47.0
T5 - VT 47.0
7 - Michigan 45.0
8 - Iowa 42.5
9 - anOSU 42.0 (subtract 18.0 if Sasso can't go)
10 - Iowa State 40.5 (subtract 1.0 if Johnson suspended for the year; no change to standings)

Iowa could finish outside the Top 10 -- Arizona State is lurking at 36.0 pts returning plus Richie Figueroa in the lineup.

I made this point upthread, but the answer is likely that Iowa was the only state that's bothered to investigate thus far. If AGs from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois, etc. (all states where online sports betting is legal), went looking they'd probably have little trouble finding defendants.

Coaches everywhere else would be wise to view this as an opportunity to explain to students that they're particularly vulnerable if they're operating an account either themselves or via a proxy (parent or friend). As opposed to assuming that it doesn't happen here because we were brought up right.

Given the ubiquity of Draft Kings and Fan Duel and popularity of online gambling (if you watch sports on TV every third ad is for a gambling product), I'd bet that similar cross-sections of players as were found in Iowa are doing what the Iowa students were doing and just haven't been caught because no one has bothered to look. If the Iowa investigation had only uncovered, say, fewer than five across each school, maybe it makes sense that it's an isolated Iowa thing. I think it's far more likely that it's a college student-athlete thing.
The amazing thing is how stupid they were. In the day of you wanted to place a bet you either had to know a bookie or someone selling footed cards.

You gave the guy a buck or a five or a ten and you circled teams. If you did the cards no one would know. Bookies?

We they can get a little complicated.

Reactions: Ski and tikk10
The amazing thing is how stupid they were. In the day of you wanted to place a bet you either had to know a bookie or someone selling footed cards.

You gave the guy a buck or a five or a ten and you circled teams. If you did the cards no one would know. Bookies?

Well right, but 'back in the day' it was also unambiguously illegal. Kids today are growing up in a world where it's merely regulated--there's no real taboo anymore, and thus less fear of getting caught. Add that to the fact that star athletes have an air of unwarranted imperviousness to them and it seems practically inevitable.

"Back in the day" was also a far greater risk of points shaving/game fixing.

Draft Kings might sue you, but the mob is sending Joey No Neck to break your legs.

I haven’t seen it discussed, but should the head coach have some accountability and be punished also? Definitely yes, if he had any knowledge of it. Some will say the head coach is ultimately responsible for his team. If that’s the case, was Cael responsible for Ed Ruth‘s drunk driving episode or worse yet, Andrew Long’s arrest? I certainly don’t know the answer. Your thoughts?

Do the 4 lose a year of eligibility or is it like a covid year off? Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Do the 4 lose a year of eligibility or is it like a covid year off? Sorry if I missed it in the thread.
They lose a year of eligibility. Cannot shirt it away.

Cass is done with folk -- he's a SR, can't use the Olympic shirt.

I haven’t seen it discussed, but should the head coach have some accountability and be punished also? Definitely yes, if he had any knowledge of it. Some will say the head coach is ultimately responsible for his team. If that’s the case, was Cael responsible for Ed Ruth‘s drunk driving episode or worse yet, Andrew Long’s arrest? I certainly don’t know the answer. Your thoughts?
Don't blame the coach, blame the parents. Oops. I guess that won't work either.

🤫

Rules are rules. But man does it suck. I really wanted to see Cass go one more time. I met him a couple times and he is really hard not to like as a person.

I'm guessing it's Bradley Hill. I would love to see Kueter out there, but he just hasn't put on the mass yet. Going to be a long year it would appear.

Reactions: zzs006
Rules are rules. But man does it suck. I really wanted to see Cass go one more time. I met him a couple times and he is really hard not to like as a person.

I'm guessing it's Bradley Hill. I would love to see Kueter out there, but he just hasn't put on the mass yet. Going to be a long year it would appear.
I'd be shocked if Kueter doesn't put on 15-20 pounds the next few months, it could end up working well for him to go this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT