ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro named in ISU gambling probe

When you register for the draft at 18 yrs of age ,you should be legally allowed to drink and gamble, or make the draft age 21.

Registering for the draft isn't enough. If you get called to duty then yes, lower the age for adulthood for those that serve. But simply registering isn't doing anything special warranting special treatment. Looking around, I would more likely be in favor of raising the age of adulthood from 21 to 25 rather than lowering it.

What about the first one that resorts to “Sorry for going off trail. My old-and-cranky acting up. Never thought it would trigger such distress, so I apologize for any grief caused. Fair warning. With my addled brain, it may happen again some time. Maybe get an emotional support animal ready."?
Relax. You win the point. Me bad for diverting topic, then ESA cheapshot. You great for eloquently calling me a-hole (shades of my visits to GIA). I’ll deposit a few more “sorry’s” now. Redeem them on future comments I post that may offend you. Have a great weekend.

All that said, having to register for a hypothetical (but highly implausible) future draft does not equal actually drinking and gambling. Now, if you actually had a service obligation at that age (e.g. were in the service) at 18, then bootstrapping a right to drink/gamble would be fair. As it is, all you’ve done at 18 is fill out a form - hardly a privation that might be counterbalanced by being allowed to drink and gamble.
I would disagree that having to register for a future draft does not equal actually drinking and gambling. The Feds set 18 as the age where you could be called upon, regardless of the potential need. They could have made it 21 but didn't. As a fan of consistency, drinking should go along with possibly putting your life on the line, regardless of the remoteness of that possibility. Hell, Barry McGuire noted a similar disparity for voting almost 60 years ago, the age got changed, and society hasn't vanished (Interestingly, the drinking disparity didn't exist for chunks of America back then). Let 18 year-olds legally have a beer again gosh darn it! What are we, a bunch of old schoolmarms?! 👵

Whether or not there is a draft or a military conflict isn't even a factor. The US government has said that at 18 you are mature enough to risk your life for the country, but not mature enough to enjoy the rights you are fighting for.

In places where drinking age is lower (16-19) there are lower percentages of alcohol related deaths, drinking and driving, binge drinking, as well as addiction. Responsible drinking is learned and can be taught well before 21.

At least give the states back the right to decide for themselves without holding highway funds as hostage.

It's not "special treatment", it's being a legal adult.

Whether or not there is a draft or a military conflict isn't even a factor. The US government has said that at 18 you are mature enough to risk your life for the country, but not mature enough to enjoy the rights you are fighting for.

In places where drinking age is lower (16-19) there are lower percentages of alcohol related deaths, drinking and driving, binge drinking, as well as addiction. Responsible drinking is learned and can be taught well before 21.

At least give the states back the right to decide for themselves without holding highway funds as hostage.

It's not "special treatment", it's being a legal adult.
The US is the 3rd worst in the world with drinking and driving. Drinking and driving is the one of the reasons the age was raised to 21 and it had the desired effect. Also, countries in Europe, for example, don't have a driving culture but mass transit culture. There are also harsher penalties.

I completely agree....Responsible drinking is learned and can be taught well before 21.

More info on a higher drinking age.

Curious is the college effect, that those not attending college had poorer alcohol related outcomes.

The US is the 3rd worst in the world with drinking and driving. Drinking and driving is the one of the reasons the age was raised to 21 and it had the desired effect. Also, countries in Europe, for example, don't have a driving culture but mass transit culture. There are also harsher penalties.
So what you're saying is: Iran is safer than Iowa.

Seven more Iowa and ISU football players charged, no wrestlers this round.

I imagine this is going on pretty much everywhere and only Iowa officials have bothered to investigate. It would be wise for programs everywhere to have a sit down with their players and let them know how easily this could be them if state officials copy Iowa's playbook.

Reactions: Ja1339

I completely agree....Responsible drinking is learned and can be taught well before 21.

More info on a higher drinking age.

Curious is the college effect, that those not attending college had poorer alcohol related outcomes.
I'm confident raising it to 30 would have a similar outcome. How about 40?
They either are or are not adults. If you don't see the imbalance then you are ignoring it.

I enjoyed my workout at Paris Island. Thanks for your service. All in all it was a good deal as military mindset has served well.
I’ve told friends boot camp was a great experience looking back but I wouldn’t want to do it again. Our senior DI had us double timing and singing cadence songs most mornings out where Ft Dix bordered McGuire AFB. He’d tell us we’d be on those birds in 4 months headed to Nam to k- - - Charly. Then one day he says, “Looks like you boys may not be going to Vietnam after all.”

After a long pause where we’re all thinking (Maybe the war is over!) He says, “ that’s right, last night we sent troops in Cambodia- you all will probably go to Cambodia instead!

Our momentarily joy was crushed as it appeared the war was expanding! He just laughed knowing what he’d done to our hopes!

• Haha
Reactions: OzarkLion

I imagine this is going on pretty much everywhere and only Iowa officials have bothered to investigate. It would be wise for programs everywhere to have a sit down with their players and let them know how easily this could be them if state officials copy Iowa's playbook.

I dont know, but I wish I would have bet on Ramos.

Wonder if they are concentrating on athletes in fall sports, so the teams can adjust to who they'll lose. Then get around to wrestling and basketball.

so was Paniro gambling if he was how can flo say he may get off?its either he was or he wasn't sounds simple to me I live in Erie so it would be nice if he can wrestle!

I'm concerned with the kids wagering games/events they directly partake in. That type of foolishness ruins careers in an instant. As well it should

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'm confident raising it to 30 would have a similar outcome. How about 40?
They either are or are not adults. If you don't see the imbalance then you are ignoring it.
I guess all I did was to show some data and then agree with you on a point.

It’s certainly an imbalance. Other countries and its citizens deal with it differently.

Willie on TFW this morning stated that the Iowa names that keep coming up as being implicated are PK, Nelson, Assad and Cass. He is clear that he is not guessing/assuming these names but from all his sources these 4 names keep coming up as being implicated. He is not stating they are guilty, just saying that these are the names that keep coming up.

Willie on TFW this morning stated that the Iowa names that keep coming up as being implicated are PK, Nelson, Assad and Cass. He is clear that he is not guessing/assuming these names but from all his sources these 4 names keep coming up as being implicated. He is not stating they are guilty, just saying that these are the names that keep coming up.
Well, why should they worry? It's not like the top half of our lineup is that good. ;-)

With the rule/penalty changes the NCAA announced, coupled with their portal gains, I am skeptical this will mean that much more than very short suspensions with no noticable effect on the post season.

Heck, there are rumors that even Parino might be in the clear with the NCAA if he gambled only during his grey shirt year.

Then there is the fact that our lineup has me salivating to the point that none of this will matter much either way.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
“That’s 4 likely national champs out of the lineup. The Hawks can’t catch a break!”

Liked by: Grip220, Dirktang, Weh8testate, etc

Going to come down to whether they bet on Iowa Women's Basketball (or any other Iowa sport).

If they did, they are done, if not, probably miss the first semester.

Willie mentioned that (he used PK as an example) if they bet on another sport at Iowa they would be done forever, not just a year. That would be a bummer for PK and Paniro if that happens as they each have three years left.

• Wow
Reactions: vhsalum
I know rules are rules but Kennedy hypothetically being done forever for placing a 100 dollar bet on Iowa WBB feels so wrong

Meanwhile he could bet on PSU wrestling beating Iowa State wrestling and miss half a season?

They did.
Really bad timing for Iowa WBB to be such a great story and seemingly destined for a championship - at the same time sports gambling getting put under a microscope. What Iowa student wasn’t getting irrationally exuberant this spring?

I have a feeling that the anger towards NIL and the portal will result in those that don’t like greater freedoms for athletes cracking down hard in areas they can (e.g. current gambling case, tax issues on NIL payments, etc)

I’m guessing the delay from announcements has to do with appeals at this point. If that’s true then it probably is currently a year suspension (and end of career) since I imagine they’d just eat half a season suspension. Can’t imagine they have a leg to stand on though since even after reducing punishments, NCAA still had the hammer for betting on your own school. That’s the one thing they are making clear that they will not tolerate (even worse if it’s your own games obviously) I don’t think the “come on man” defense will work here either.

Reactions: Ja1339
I know rules are rules but Kennedy hypothetically being done forever for placing a 100 dollar bet on Iowa WBB feels so wrong

Meanwhile he could bet on PSU wrestling beating Iowa State wrestling and miss half a season?
I’m guessing the delay from announcements has to do with appeals at this point. If that’s true then it probably is currently a year suspension (and end of career) since I imagine they’d just eat half a season suspension. Can’t imagine they have a leg to stand on though since even after reducing punishments, NCAA still had the hammer for betting on your own school. That’s the one thing they are making clear that they will not tolerate (even worse if it’s your own games obviously) I don’t think the “come on man” defense will work here either.
And somewhere in Iowa City, Tom Brands is nervously chewing on a sneaker and Vodka is drunkenly cursing and telling everyone that Cael is responsible for their misfortune….

Many in Iowa are still wagering on the Ferrari's not being a shit show..
learning the more you learn GIF

Last edited:
People already pointing fingers at NCAA and saying so wrong if they are done for beating on their team. Why? Its actually a rule and if these athletes were not informed on the rules l, then point fingers at the university and coaches not the NCAA. Or do we not want any rules at all.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT