ADVERTISEMENT

Paniro named in ISU gambling probe

Thank you Nerf! It was a rough patch for me when I was told I was a complete idiot for thinking the state of Iowa would end up writing a massive check for this mess the idiot at the DCI created. This isn't going to end well for that agent. To make it worse you guys were hating on me for stating that Mitch would come in and take whatever weight he wanted. Tough times.

cary elwes life is pain GIF

4th Amendment rights?
Warrant?
Probable cause?
Geo Fencing?

@tikk10 maybe you could represent these kids that had their rights violated and make yourself some easy money.

4th Amendment rights?
Warrant?
Probable cause?
Geo Fencing?

@tikk10 maybe you could represent these kids that had their rights violated and make yourself some easy money.

Do you know how hard it is to sue the (state, federal) government and win actual money? Sovereign immunity exists, and for better or worse, there are a LOT of people who would have much more valid claims of actual damages (see: Joe Schmoe, getting his head kicked in by police, on live TV) ahead of them in line.

Last edited:
Do you know how hard it is to sue the (state, federal) government and win actual money? Sovereign immunity exists, and for better or worse, there are a LOT of people who would have much more valid claims of actual damages (see: Joe Schmoe, getting his head kicked in by police, on live TV) ahead of them in line.
That's why organizations like The Institute for Justice exist. They handle a lot of things you might have seen in the news.

https://ij.org/

I understand the outrage for the kids charges with crimes, but, will this impact the kids punished by the NCAA. They did break the student athlete code of conduct. Nelson publically admitted it. They are not criminal charges so not sure if this impacts them.

I understand the outrage for the kids charges with crimes, but, will this impact the kids punished by the NCAA. They did break the student athlete code of conduct. Nelson publically admitted it. They are not criminal charges so not sure if this impacts them
Their rights were violated. Absolute horseshit what happend to these athletes

4th Amendment rights?
Warrant?
Probable cause?
Geo Fencing?

I don't know if you read my lengthy post from yesterday but there are reasons I'm going to wait and see what the response is to the discovery motion. I'm not saying that this isn't sleazy police conduct being alleged, but I see a lot of people making assumptions about what actually happened based solely on Ludwick's deposition, which for me raised more questions than answers. And I'm not expressing skepticism merely b/c I'm a PSU fan and these were Iowa and ISU kids, I'm wary because almost all fourth amendment case law has over the past few decades has replaced what were once rights with exceptions and carve-outs. SCOTUS has routinely found instances where they've simultaneously conceded that a right was violated but that there was nevertheless nothing you can do about it (which typically means the evidence can be introduced regardless of the constitutional violation). And forget about a private cause of action, this doesn't approach getting around the qualified immunity pollice enjoy. I mean, sure, go and get outraged, even before all the facts are in, but everything that's been alleged is fairly routine, you're only noticing it because it concerns athletes.

Have only one question. Did they violate NCAA rules?

Sorry, I'm with the Iowa guys on this one. With what is coming out, this sounds like a lot of B.S. It's like getting pulled over for going 57 in a 55 mph zone while being passed by other guys going much faster. Yes, they broke the rules, but, they were targeted. I actually feel really bad for the wrestlers who were impacted. If this happened to PSU wrestlers, this board would be outraged.

Sorry, I'm with the Iowa guys on this one. With what is coming out, this sounds like a lot of B.S. It's like getting pulled over for going 57 in a 55 mph zone while being passed by other guys going much faster. Yes, they broke the rules, but, they were targeted. I actually feel really bad for the wrestlers who were impacted. If this happened to PSU wrestlers, this board would be outraged.
But that argument wont get you out of the ticket.

Thanks for being honest. Refreshing

I don't know if you read my lengthy post from yesterday but there are reasons I'm going to wait and see what the response is to the discovery motion. I'm not saying that this isn't sleazy police conduct being alleged, but I see a lot of people making assumptions about what actually happened based solely on Ludwick's deposition, which for me raised more questions than answers. And I'm not expressing skepticism merely b/c I'm a PSU fan and these were Iowa and ISU kids, I'm wary because almost all fourth amendment case law has over the past few decades has replaced what were once rights with exceptions and carve-outs. SCOTUS has routinely found instances where they've simultaneously conceded that a right was violated but that there was nevertheless nothing you can do about it (which typically means the evidence can be introduced regardless of the constitutional violation). And forget about a private cause of action, this doesn't approach getting around the qualified immunity pollice enjoy. I mean, sure, go and get outraged, even before all the facts are in, but everything that's been alleged is fairly routine, you're only noticing it because it concerns athletes.
Why waste time answering that tool? You're not giving him the response he is looking for so it will be ignored.

I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. If you stop and think about it, let's say no investigation was done. these kids would all still be gambling and in some cases gambling on their own schools. This may have saved them from a much bigger issue down the rode both legally and personally just saying

Reactions: Ski
I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. If you stop and think about it, let's say no investigation was done. these kids would all still be gambling and in some cases gambling on their own schools. This may have saved them from a much bigger issue down the rode both legally and personally just saying
You are missing the point as usual

You are missing the point as usual
No actually you are missing the point. No more excuses don't do the crime and there is no consequences who gives a **** how people found out. That's so simple a child could understand but not you nnnnnnooooo you just keep making the typical Iowa fan excuses let's be clear here. The kids were actually gambling and they got caught how they got caught sucks and might not have been right but the kids were ACTUALLY GAMBLING which is against the rules. Do you understand that. Move past the how and start focusing on the why already

No actually you are missing the point. No more excuses don't do the crime and there is no consequences who gives a **** how people found out. That's so simple a child could understand but not you nnnnnnooooo you just keep making the typical Iowa fan excuses let's be clear here. The kids were actually gambling and they got caught how they got caught sucks and might not have been right but the kids were ACTUALLY GAMBLING which is against the rules. Do you understand that. Move past the how and start focusing on the why already
I 100% understand what happend. I have been following along closely the whole time. I'm not making any "typical Iowa fan excuses" for anything.

Kevin Dresser is an ISU coach/fan. What did you think of his response to the recent findings?

You know what.. Nevermind, I don't care what you think. You just pour Iowa hatred into your thoughts and opinions no matter what. You have no other rational way of responding. I think we are done here

Classic “dumb criminal”! He DID the “crime”!!!!! Bet over $45 K on Iowa; Mom the enabler, but on HIS phone. Legally, not much of a shot to get it tossed. NCAA, see “Harbaugh, Jim”; when they showed the (similar damning) evidence, all of a sudden Michigan stopped the appeal and protesting the suspension. Man up, move on

Reactions: Ski
I 100% understand what happend. I have been following along closely the whole time. I'm not making any "typical Iowa fan excuses" for anything.

Kevin Dresser is an ISU coach/fan. What did you think of his response to the recent findings? You know what.. Nevermind, I don't care what you think. You just pour Iowa hatred into your thoughts and opinions no matter what. You have no other rational way of responding. I think we are done here
That's fine my frustration on this matter is the same as most. How they got caught is suspect at best. What really frustrates me is that hardly anyone has an issue with the fact that these kids were actually gambling. I love how dresser and brands throw that shit into the conversation at the end after making excuses for how they got caught. Imagine that, brands is really irate that the media didn't investigate how this investigation went down instead of stating how disappointed he is in himself and his kids for breaking the rules lol. Anyhow have a great evening turk

Kevin Dresser is an ISU coach/fan. What did you think of his response to the recent findings?

You know what.. Nevermind, I don't care what you think. You just pour Iowa hatred into your thoughts and opinions no matter what. You have no other rational way of responding. I think we are done here
Did he hurt your feelings?

Reactions: danoftw and Ski

With Dresser, Paniro is facing the most serious criminal charges of any of the wrestlers. If it turns out his Constitutional rights were violated, the criminal charges must be dropped. I think Dresser is trying to keep his kids out of jail.

All of that has nothing to do with NCAA rules or sanctions. The Bill of Rights protects you against an over authoritarian government. It doesn’t provide any protection against other consequences of your own actions. If the kids broke NCAA rules, they can still face NCAA sanctions. Dresser is also right that the NCAA penalties were too severe in this case, but that’s another thing to address after the season. They got what the penalty is, at least for now.

With Dresser, Paniro is facing the most serious criminal charges of any of the wrestlers. If it turns out his Constitutional rights were violated, the criminal charges must be dropped. I think Dresser is trying to keep his kids out of jail.

All of that has nothing to do with NCAA rules or sanctions. The Bill of Rights protects you against an over authoritarian government. It doesn’t provide any protection against other consequences of your own actions. If the kids broke NCAA rules, they can still face NCAA sanctions. Dresser is also right that the NCAA penalties were too severe in this case, but that’s another thing to address after the season. They got what the penalty is, at least for now.
Didn't they already reduce the punishments for violations moving forward?

The 'grab your pitchforks' rhetoric on this topic is getting pretty heated over at the Iowa Rivals board, people gonna start to think GIA stands for "Go Iowa ACLU."
Rightfully so. ISU fans are pissed off aswell. So are the football fans of both schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT