ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am's

Dhesi (Can) beats a Jamaican 11-0

(USA) Nicholas Boone LEE (1) vs (MEX) Austin Klee GOMEZ (6)

• 5:41 Nick gets a leg and finds the far ankle to finish 2-0
  • 5:20 Gomez head pinch 2-2
  • 5:00ish Another single and nick doubles off 4-2
  • 4:50 Nick stuffs a shot and gets behind 6-2
  • 3:10 Nick gets sloppy on the edge and falls to his belly, Gomez gets behind 6-4
  • 3:49 clean double for nick and gets a lace 10-4
  • 2:18 Gomez shoves Nick out +caution & 1 10-6
  • Gomez gets a td, missed it. 10-8
  • 1:31 Nick gets to the leg off an upper body tie-up and finishes, while Gomez screams in pain. Doesn't look good. 12-8
  • :57 gomez comes back, and throws nick for 4 12-12
  • :40 another 4 and 2 laces for Gomez, 20-12
  • :31 another td for Gomez to ice it 22-12.
Dang

Last edited:
that ended up pretty ugly - Gomez gets a throw and takes advantage of Nick's aggressiveness - wins by 10

Reactions: WildTurk
USA now unlikely to qualify 65 kg for the Olympics!
giphy.gif

• Sad
Reactions: PSUer1989
I wouldn’t go that far. Multiple guys capable of coming through the LCQ. But it certainly got harder
That tournament is going to be insane, especially at that weight. You'd probably set the odds at around 10% to qualify for whoever wins the spot, if not lower. This is a crushing loss.

That's now 3 cycles in a row the 65/66 rep completely choked at Pan Ams. Both past reps failed to qualify at Last Chance (though Frank got in eventually due to a PED test). Brutal.

Reactions: WildTurk
That tournament is going to be insane, especially at that weight. You'd probably set the odds at around 10% to qualify for whoever wins the spot, if not lower. This is a crushing loss.

That's now 3 cycles in a row the 65/66 rep completely choked at Pan Ams. Both past reps failed to qualify at Last Chance (though Frank got in eventually due to a PED test). Brutal.
I’d probably go closer to 25 percent but yes I agree it will be difficult. Think Yianni and Zain can beat just about anyone on their day

I saw Richard's up 10-0 but gave up reversal trying to turn. So it went 10-1. Shouldn't it stop after he was up 10-0? Either way he still TF

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
RBY on deck.

Anyone know why they didn't restart after Gomez's injury time in par terre? Seems like a "procedural error in the sport" so we should call Cornell's law firm.

(VEN) Mejias Rodriguez PEDRO JESUS (1) vs (MEX) Roman Guillermo BRAVO YOUNG (5)
1st

• 4:50 Jesus horsing RBY around a bit, scores a TD and a gut 4-0
  • 4:30 Roman shoots and scores, and locks up his unorthodox rear-headlock thing and gets a turn before it's blown dead on a choke hold--Ven taking injury time. 4-4
  • 3:40 Roman stuffs a shot and gets behind, and another of those turns while the guy was trying to tap out 8-4
  • end
2nd
  • 2:20 heavy on the head, a snap and go-behind 10-4
  • :41 Jesus unhappy w/ how Roman is slowing things down with handfighting
  • :10 Caution & 1 on Roman--I think on fingers? Not sure. 10-5
  • Jesus gets a step-out at the buzzer 10-6

Last edited:
I'm not sure how, but Jesus looked to have considerable size on Roman. Didn't matter in the end, but that was an interesting bout.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
Why is RBY wrestling for Mexico, instead of the US?
If your goal is the Olympics, find the path of least resistance to get there.

And it's smart. If he makes the finals, he's in the Olympics. Same for Cruz wrestling for Puerto Rico. If Richards makes the finals, he might have only kept the seat warm for Gilman or Nico or Lee or Arujau or Fix.

USA will send the trials winner at 65 to the last chance world Olympic qualifier. If you make the semis you qualify the weight. They also will wrestle a true bronze. So 3 spots are available

Reactions: aalion
USA will send the trials winner at 65 to the last chance world Olympic qualifier. If you make the semis you qualify the weight. They also will wrestle a true bronze. So 3 spots are available
I'm so glad they're doing that. Makes the tourney much more interesting, and for once, a true consolation bracket with real meaning!

Reactions: west2east
So if there's a true 3rd for the last spot,then you don't qualify just by making the semis right? You would have to either make the finals, or win bronze plus win the true 3rd match

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT