ADVERTISEMENT

OT trip report-summer vacations for Brazilians

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
For Midnighter and other world travelers - So I’ve not left the country although it seems like I have as there is very little English to be heard in beautiful Sunny Isles, Florida. It’s north of Miami and south of Ft Lauderdale. The beach is lined with high rise condos which sell for $1 million up. I rented one with beautiful beach front views from the 12th floor of a 26 floor building. As we noticed lots of school aged children and families here, apparently this is a prime tourist destination for Brazilians on vacation as it’s summer there now. In fact they own a high percentage of the exclusive properties here, along with a smaller number of Russians who are also here. There are some Americans and Canadians, and even Hasidim, but we are in the minority. It’s a real melting pot. It’s like leaving the USA except that you’re not. It’s quite exotic - Italian sports cars everywhere, Brazilian beach attire (no flags I’m not about to take candid photos of girls in thongs), and cuisine of every origin. The plaza across from me has Cuban, Peruvian, Argentinian, Portuguese, Asian, and Italian restaurants among others. Restaurants are fairly reasonably priced and the quality top notch. I had a lunch of a whole deep fried snapper with rice and plantains for $20. Drinks were 2 for 1! The people are beautiful, seem very friendly, and the children well behaved. Apparently even with these high real estate prices, these properties are much less expensive and a better investment then similar places in Rio. It’s a playground for the affluent South Americans. And if you’re interested in going to Brazil without leaving the USA, it’s a great beach vacation.

best-beach-.jpg

sunny-isles-beach-condos-florida-5.jpg.

Last edited:
For Midnighter and other world travelers - So I’ve not left the country although it seems like I have as there is very little English to be heard in beautiful Sunny Isles, Florida. It’s north of Miami and south of Ft Lauderdale. The beach is lined with high rise condos which sell for $1 million up. I rented one with beautiful beach front views from the 12th floor of a 26 floor building. As we noticed lots of school aged children and families here, apparently this is a prime tourist destination for Brazilians on vacation as it’s summer there now. In fact they own a high percentage of the exclusive properties here, along with a smaller number of Russians who are also here. There are some Americans and Canadians, and even Hasidim, but we are in the minority. It’s a real melting pot. It’s like leaving the USA except that you’re not. It’s quite exotic - Italian sports cars everywhere, Brazilian beach attire (no flags I’m not about to take candid photos of girls in thongs), and cuisine of every origin. The plaza across from me has Cuban, Peruvian, Argentinian, Portuguese, Asian, and Italian restaurants among others. Restaurants are fairly reasonably priced and the quality top notch. I had a lunch of a whole deep fried snapper with rice and plantains for $20. Drinks were 2 for 1! The people are beautiful, seem very friendly, and the children well behaved. Apparently even with these high real estate prices, these properties are much less expensive and a better investment then similar places in Rio. It’s a playground for the affluent South Americans. And if you’re interested in going to Brazil without leaving the USA, it’s a great beach vacation.
I used to do some biz with a bank in Miami. They said that Central and South Americans love buying real estate in FL as a protection against economic armagedden in their home countries. (think venazuala today).

Sounds great - thanks for the tip!

sunny-isles-beach-condos-florida-5.jpg.
Shortly after the "crash of 2008" you could have picked up a condo in one of those buildings for as little as $100k. But the monthly maintenance fees are probably now $1000.

Reactions: Cosmos
I spent a summer in Brazil in my late teens. Great time. Similar to what someone mentioned, every Brazilian who wanted to visit the United States wanted to go to one place: Disney World. I didn't get it, but found it amusing. I'd rather go to Brazil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT