ADVERTISEMENT

OT...Propane Grills

greg13

Feb 4, 2007
Looking to get a new one....4 year old Char-Broil just sh!t the bed...anybody have any experience with a Nexgrill or something else that is affordable? I do a decent amount of grilling year round and I understand that you get what you pay for but I still can’t bring myself to pony up the dough for a Weber. Any feedback would be appreciated

I needed a large grill and just couldn't afford a Weber or similar quality 4 years ago. I grill a lot and have been happy with one I bought for half price at Sears, if you can find a store or trust they'll be around for warranty or parts.

I bought a Char-Broil Infrared eight years ago and it still works great. I clean it out maybe twice a year with Sam’s degreaser and a plastic putty knife and keep it covered when not in use.

I prefer it to a regular gas grill as it won’t flare up easily at all - makes it easy to get a good sear without fear of charing. Grill is in good shape - maybe could use replacing the infrared pan soon but since the burners are below they are in nearly new shape.

Reactions: RWCStateFan
Weber. Check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. You’re better off spending $400 on a used Weber than getting a new $500 POS.

I would agree, you are better off buying a used Weber and then replacing parts as needed rather than buying a cheap grill, to include the entry level Weber Spirit series because you will probably be buying another in three to five years. Once you get into the next next level, there are many options. MHP and PGS are by far the best values there.

You dont always hear to these https://broilmaster.com/all-grills/, Broilmaster, mostly because the little guy sells them not the big box stores. Mine has been outside, not under cover, but with a cover on for 13 yrs. Still works great. I have had to replace the bow tie gas manifold, but it s not a big deal. The grates have (or had ) a lifetime warranty, so every couple of yrs I get a new set for free. It is worth the money to spend and get something that lasts, and you dont have to throw in the trash every other year, especially if you grill a lot.

Reactions: MICH.Nit Fan
Had a char boril and kept it alive for 8 years - replaced grates, burners most everything and finally trashed it. Got a Weber Spirit from ACE Hardware. Really like it and its get a lot hotter then the Char Broil did - got it on sale and not that expensive.

Reactions: doublehaul
I have had a Weber 3 burner grill since 2011. I had to replace the 2 main grids and the 6 flavor bars that sit above the burners in 2018 since they were rusting out but was able to order direct via online. Just grilled some steaks yesterday on it. I would recommend it as a good reliable grill. I religiously use the cover for it to keep the weather out. Home Depot typically has good sales on them.

I bought a cheapy stainless grill from Lowe's a few years ago and it has worked fine for my needs. That said, we also bought a used Weber from our neighbor last year to use at the other house and it is night and day better. They have us the purchase info and Weber replaced the burners and grill plates free of charge, no questions asked.

You can get by with a cheaper grill but if you are able I'd definitely recommend splurging on a Weber.

Reactions: Nitwit
Looking to get a new one....4 year old Char-Broil just sh!t the bed...anybody have any experience with a Nexgrill or something else that is affordable? I do a decent amount of grilling year round and I understand that you get what you pay for but I still can’t bring myself to pony up the dough for a Weber. Any feedback would be appreciated

down here in FL Offerup and LetGo are chock full of Webers you can get for almost nothing... put about $75 parts in it and it will last a long time

Reactions: massimoManca II
Believe me when I tell you that the current Genesis E-series Webers ($500-$1200) are not of the same quality / design / performance of the old iconic Genesis Silver / Gold series from 20yrs ago...

I decided to treat myself to a new Weber Genesis E-330 about 6 yrs ago to replace my trusty Silver C, which I gifted to my nephew who had bought his first home...

Cliff notes: new Weber E-series = meh... old Weber = awesome , according to my nephew (i concur, regret giving it up).... there is a reason people are buying up old Webers / reconditioning them and flipping them

Believe me when I tell you that the current Genesis E-series Webers ($500-$1200) are not of the same quality / design / performance of the old iconic Genesis Silver / Gold series from 20yrs ago...

I decided to treat myself to a new Weber Genesis E-330 about 6 yrs ago to replace my trusty Silver C, which I gifted to my nephew who had bought his first home...

Cliff notes: new Weber E-series = meh... old Weber = awesome , according to my nephew (i concur, regret giving it up).... there is a reason people are buying up old Webers / reconditioning them and flipping them
Agree. They're resting on their laurels quite a bit at this point. Their price to quality ratio doesn't make them what they were even 10 years ago.

Reactions: massimoManca II

This board always amazes me ... I have a Weber Summit and was just looking at replacement parts this morning when this thread showed up ... I need some flavor bars etc. a few pieces are wearing out figure and starting to get some hot spots on the cooking surface grills so I am going to spend about $120 in parts and it will be good to go another 5-6 years.

Reactions: hlstone

agree 100%. i had a SS Genesis that was purchased around 2009 and unfortunately, I left it when I sold my house. That thing was a tank. I currently have a Summit, purchased in 2016. The difference is night and day. While the current Weber models may be better than a Char Broil, or something of that ilk, they have gone downhill very fast. I wouldn't call the newer models "junk", but they are only a few notches above that when considering cost. I would compare them to Cutco knives.

agree 100%. i had a SS Genesis that was purchased around 2009 and unfortunately, I left it when I sold my house. That thing was a tank. I currently have a Summit, purchased in 2016. The difference is night and day. While the current Weber models may be better than a Char Broil, or something of that ilk, they have gone downhill very fast. I wouldn't call the newer models "junk", but they are only a few notches above that when considering cost. I would compare them to Cutco knives.

Why I am getting a Green Egg... I like to smoke meats and grill on weekends when I have time to use briquettes... Weeknights will be the Weber Summit/Gas and weekends Green Egg

Reactions: PSU87
Get a Weber. Not that expensive. Mine has lasted 10+ years with minimal replacement parts (new grate).

This board always amazes me ... I have a Weber Summit and was just looking at replacement parts this morning when this thread showed up ... I need some flavor bars etc. a few pieces are wearing out figure and starting to get some hot spots on the cooking surface grills so I am going to spend about $120 in parts and it will be good to go another 5-6 years.

Indeed... back when I had my old Genesis, I replaced the OEM porcelain steel grate w/cast iron grate and upgraded the flavor bars to stainless... thing was ready for the long haul

Reactions: bwifan
I do not have one but am seriously considering one and have heard good things about the Traeger electric wood pellet grill. A kiss of smoke on everything grilled.

I do not have one but am seriously considering one and have heard good things about the Traeger electric wood pellet grill. A kiss of smoke on everything grilled.
i have a Traeger which I love. Has held up well. that said I think there are some competitors out there that are just as good, if not better for less. When I bought mine, Traeger was like the firs to market smokers with thermostats, augers, and pellets. Just do a search.

i have a Traeger which I love. Has held up well. that said I think there are some competitors out there that are just as good, if not better for less. When I bought mine, Traeger was like the firs to market smokers with thermostats, augers, and pellets. Just do a search.
RecTec or Yoder ($) or Green Mountain?

RecTec or Yoder ($) or Green Mountain?
Rec Tec looks like a direct Treager rip off. The key is the controller and IDK whose is better.
Green mountain about the same, though those windows will get smoked up so you’ll never see in them, IMO
Yoder look bad ass!!! But expensive too the smaller one w the competition wheels (-$2500) looks like a wish list to me

Reactions: jmorovich

W E B E R!
Mine is 12 years old. Replaced igniter and flavor bars. Works like brand new.

Rec Tec looks like a direct Treager rip off. The key is the controller and IDK whose is better.
Green mountain about the same, though those windows will get smoked up so you’ll never see in them, IMO
Yoder look bad ass!!! But expensive too the smaller one w the competition wheels (-$2500) looks like a wish list to me

I have a rec tec and it's easily the best thing I’ve spent money on in ages (actually my wife did for Christmas two years ago). Love the thing. I HIGHLY recommend it. Customer service is fantastic and tons of accessories. Cooks even and never an issue with the temp. I’ve posted some pics in the past of food I’ve cooked on it.

As for the original post...any chance to convert you to charcoal? Charcoal grills are actually cheaper and cook food better. I have a propane but I use it strictly for making pizza (wife got me a pizza oven that sits on the gas grill and works great). Just a big fan of the Weber charcoals. So easy to use and the food just has that great charcoal flavor.

Just a thought. Good luck either way!

Reactions: buster63
Yes Yoder is big big $ (all American I think); I have heard good things about RecTec controller and much better priced

I have an old 8 year old 150$ char-broil from Home Depot that I can cook (not smoke) anything on. I want to start Smoking but I can’t part ways with my cheapo char-broil. I know it like the back of my jerk hand. Know the hot spots, cold spots... etc. know where to put anything to get the temp I need. I’ve replaced wheels and grates once.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m a big proponent of “the devil you know” mixed with a bit of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. If it’s fixable and still gets hot enough, I’d just fix it and press On with what you know. I make pretty smokin food on ‘ol crusty trusty and don’t want to have to take a season or 2 to learn a new one.

Bought this version of Weber grill about 15 years used for $100 about 15 years ago and think it was at least 10 years old at that time. Still works fine.
s-l640.jpg

I have an old 8 year old 150$ char-broil from Home Depot that I can cook (not smoke) anything on. I want to start Smoking but I can’t part ways with my cheapo char-broil. I know it like the back of my jerk hand. Know the hot spots, cold spots... etc. know where to put anything to get the temp I need. I’ve replaced wheels and grates once.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m a big proponent of “the devil you know” mixed with a bit of “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”. If it’s fixable and still gets hot enough, I’d just fix it and press On with what you know. I make pretty smokin food on ‘ol crusty trusty and don’t want to have to take a season or 2 to learn a new one.
You use different tools to smoke vs grill. You should keep your grill, and then if you want to smoke something get a smoker

Reactions: jmorovich
You use different tools to smoke vs grill. You should keep your grill, and then if you want to smoke something get a smoker

Sluggo is 100% right...two totally different jobs. I literally just finished cooking up some BBQ meatloaf. Delicious!

4-B38-A592-9781-478-F-B26-A-B5-C708-E873-EC.jpg

Anyone have any experience with the “searing station” on a Weber?

I have a 14 y/o Weber Genesis that I though about giving to my SIL. However, I'm rethinking that since reading this thread. This thread was last year, so my question is. Does anyone know if Weber has improved their product since last year? It is in fantastic shape, stored in a shed every night, replaced parts as needed. I'm thinking of keeping and buying him (maybe) a Spirit? Any thoughts?

Last edited:

I have the old Weber Genesis grill. Got it as a gift from my father decades ago. (Maybe in the early 90's?) Converted it from propane to LP at least 20 years ago. The thing is black; not one of those big, shiny grills you see in many back decks or patios. But it has worked like a charm ever since I got it. Would not trade it for any other grill. Have to change the grates and flavorizer bars every so often, but that is no big deal. The OP should pay the bucks now, get a Weber, and hold onto it for YEARS.

I have a 3 burner Weber since 2011 with a left side burner for pots. I had to replace the 2 grills due to wear but have not had any problems with is. I do cover it after use year round to prevent rust etc from snow and rain.

I’ve got a Summit also. Spent $180 on a new manifold which includes all the igniters. Also purchased some new flavor bars. I keep my grill covered in my screened in porch but it still is susceptible to rust.

I have a big green egg and am satisfied with it. Spendy for certain, but I am admittedly cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT