ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PA Flooding (update 8-13)

No, the ole green bridge in Montoursville. Lol But I've done a few things on the bridge in Hillsgrove.
I've jumped from the road platform, but never had the guts to climb up to the top.

Growing up in the area, it's sort of a rite of passage. I think the cops patrol it fairly closely now, and kick people out. There used to be so many people there, it would slow traffic because of all the vehicles parked along side the road, and then on the bridge.

The rope swing at "The Bend" in Forksville was always our spot. Actually I bet it's a blast right now, a few days after all that rain.

Reactions: Hotshoe
The "Ole Green Bridge" has never failed us. The RR bridge was replaced a few years ago and the eagles nest on it. Hillsgrove was a freak accident, but the road up the Hogland branch was washed out in a number of areas. The 4 new bridges there all survived. My brother lives at the very Top of Hoag.

And here we go again. I guess bridge is still open. Rte. 87 is open.

And here we go again. I guess bridge is still open. Rte. 87 is open.

As my mom puts it "It's just been a rainy summer they happen every few years." ... which I guess she's right, but I don't remember the torrential downpours like this. I mean when it rains, it comes down so hard you can't see 2 feet in front of your face, then it clears up, gets humid as hell then does it again.

In the 90s if it was a "rainy summer" it was also COLD in Sullivan County. I remember a few summers growing up as a kid, where we never even went to the sock because it was so cold. (Usually takes until right about now for the Sock to heat up) ... This summer we've been a couple times. This is totally different, than any summer that I can remember. It hasn't really been cold at all, but the opposite. It's extremely humid when it's not raining, and the air does not move, which sucks as most places up here aren't properly ventilated, let alone air conditioned. Since when did #Laportirico become a tropical climate?

If this crazy precipitation pattern continues into the fall, it's going to make for some very interesting top ten matchups in the Beav. ... Which I guess i'm okay with, we tend to be pretty solid at home in bad weather.

Flood Watch Extended to Saturday morning -
Flood Watch
National Weather Service State College PA
630 PM EDT Fri Aug 3 2018

Juniata-Franklin-Sullivan-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-Montour-Northumberland-Columbia-Perry-Dauphin-Schuylkill-Lebanon, Cumberland-Adams-York-Lancaster-
Including the cities of Mifflintown, Chambersburg, Laporte,
Williamsport, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury,
Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick, Newport, Harrisburg, Hershey, Pottsville, Lebanon, Carlisle, Gettysburg, York, and Lancaster
630 PM EDT Fri Aug 3 2018

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...

The Flash Flood Watch is now in effect for

* A portion of central Pennsylvania, including the following
counties, Adams, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin,
Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Montour, Northumberland, Perry, Schuylkill, Snyder, Southern Lycoming, Sullivan, Union, and York.

* Through Saturday morning

* Heavy showers and possible thunderstorms are expected to affect the area overnight. Locally heavy rain falling on already wet ground could result in flash flooding in a few locations.

* If you encounter water over the road, turn around and seek an alternate route. It is especially difficult at night to discern
the depth of water over a road, or if that road may be washed
out.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions may develop that lead
to flash flooding. Flash flooding is a very dangerous situation.
You should monitor later forecasts and be prepared to take action should Flash Flood Warnings be issued.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
Hopefully it'll be a quiet tropical season as we head into the heart of hurricane season.
Sometimes it takes a tropical storm to change the weather pattern. This moisture train has been barreling through the Carolinas and Virginia on its way north also.

Born in 64 in Williamsport, crossed the crick to come home to Montoursville. Lived through Agnes, 72, and Eloise in 76. Huge hurricanes and rainfalls. The last 6-7 years have been pure hell in Montoursville and out the Sock on 87. Lost my cabin at the mouth of Little Bear and the Sock 6 years ago. It hasn't stopped in the area for several years in a row. Out in Hillsgrove last year, the new bridges up the Hogland branch held but the road was destroyed. The town also got a ton of flooding. Now, here we go again. Still the best area in America and I miss it dearly.

As my mom puts it "It's just been a rainy summer they happen every few years." ... which I guess she's right, but I don't remember the torrential downpours like this. I mean when it rains, it comes down so hard you can't see 2 feet in front of your face, then it clears up, gets humid as hell then does it again.

It's more like the new normal w/ severe and erratic weather increasing.

For example, parts of Texas has had to endure drought-like conditions and then gets hammered by torrential rainfall (due to the warmer atmosphere being able to hold more water vapor).

Flash flooding in Forksville earlier today apparently.

38755330_2347811205248015_7544599591501430784_n.jpg

It's more like the new normal w/ severe and erratic weather increasing.

For example, parts of Texas has had to endure drought-like conditions and then gets hammered by torrential rainfall (due to the warmer atmosphere being able to hold more water vapor).

People seem to forget the 1980s rather quickly. I lived in San Antonio from 1991 - 1992, they were in the midst of a very long drought and the water table was at levels not seen in 100+ years, they were talking water restriction from Ft Hood South to almost Laredo. Yes, it has been dry in TX lately, but no where near as dry as the 1980s. Also in the early - mid 80s PA went 4 or 5 years with incredibly dry Summers.

I'm 47 and I don't remember Hershey Park ever closing due to flooding... it happened two days in a row a couple weeks ago.

I'm 47 and I don't remember Hershey Park ever closing due to flooding... it happened two days in a row a couple weeks ago.

Here are the crest records. Above 14 feet is considered Major Stage, the Highest, as seen in the chart above.

There have been 7 Major Crests since 1973.
2 in the 70s
0 in the 80s
1 in the 90s
2 in the 00s
2 in the 10s​

Above 10 feet is a Moderate Crest.
There have been 3 Moderates since 1973.
2 in the 90s
1 in the 10s​

There have been a total of 47 Historic Crests, 7 ft or higher) since 1973. (43 years)

Historic Crests

Major Crests

(1) 26.80 ft on 09/08/2011
(2) 17.08 ft on 07/26/2018
(3) 16.12 ft on 06/29/2006
(4) 15.36 ft on 09/27/1975
(5) 14.43 ft on 01/25/1979
(6) 14.30 ft on 01/20/1996
(7) 14.27 ft on 09/19/2004

Moderate Crests

(8) 10.97 ft on 03/12/2011
(9) 10.33 ft on 11/29/1993
(10) 10.24 ft on 01/21/1996

Last edited:
People seem to forget the 1980s rather quickly. I lived in San Antonio from 1991 - 1992, they were in the midst of a very long drought and the water table was at levels not seen in 100+ years, they were talking water restriction from Ft Hood South to almost Laredo. Yes, it has been dry in TX lately, but no where near as dry as the 1980s. Also in the early - mid 80s PA went 4 or 5 years with incredibly dry Summers.

Yeah, people don't remember some things
HersheyParkbehindAquatheatre_medium.JPG

The "Ole Green Bridge" has never failed us. The RR bridge was replaced a few years ago and the eagles nest on it. Hillsgrove was a freak accident, but the road up the Hogland branch was washed out in a number of areas. The 4 new bridges there all survived. My brother lives at the very Top of Hoag.
Our house was just up the street past Hoagland Branch on elk creek road. Right on the creek in between middle and bear mountain... Man I miss that place

I jumped off that bridge many times .... Was 10 minutes from our house. Nothing better than a jump and swim in the summer then go get ice cream at Renningers General Store up the street in Hillsgrove. They had the best bacon as well

Suuuuuure, everyone jumped off that bridge... Question was did you jump off the top beam, or the concrete guide rail?

I was in Dushore last night after a line of thunderstorms came through the area. Dushore wasn't as bad as it was last week, but just a 20 minute shower, flooded the little league field by the Sullivan Terrace about half as much as you see below.

It's unfortunate that for the people who live in harms way, but with all this rain the autumn should be spectacular up here. You wouldn't notice it if you were just passing through, but I can already see the leaves starting to change in Laporte... very much looking forward to my upcoming trips to Happy Valley taking me down 220 through Williamsport, to Solona to State... as apposed to Dupont DC, up though Harrisburg and 322.

I was in Dushore last night after a line of thunderstorms came through the area. Dushore wasn't as bad as it was last week, but just a 20 minute shower, flooded the little league field by the Sullivan Terrace about half as much as you see below.

It's unfortunate that for the people who live in harms way, but with all this rain the autumn should be spectacular up here. You wouldn't notice it if you were just passing through, but I can already see the leaves starting to change in Laporte... very much looking forward to my upcoming trips to Happy Valley taking me down 220 through Williamsport, to Solona to State... as apposed to Dupont DC, up though Harrisburg and 322.

Always hit the Winn Dixie in Dushore on rainy days... Parents had to do something to get the kids outside

I think it's at the airport.

It's on 42 between Eagles Mere and Laporte. I went for the first time last summer, and was blown away by what was up there. As a kid, my dad and I used to fourwheel over there before George Jenkins bought it in 01. I remember being pissed, because it was roped off and we couldn't rip and tear up there anymore.

Mark and Lucy Stitzer have also put quite a bit into Eagles mere as well. I dipped ice cream at the Sweet shop for 5 summers, and the amount of people that come to the area for the summer has dropped significantly. However, there are a few who are trying desperately to restore the town, and they have the pockets to do it.

AS for the toboggan, I think it's been at least 3 years since they've done it. First reason being that it's not cold enough for the lake to get a foot of ice on it, but really I think they have a hard time finding the volunteers. If you ever get the chance to be in the area, highly recommend both.

Other than that... there's not much to do here unfortunately. When I was little, Laporte had 5 restaurants, 2 hotels, medical center, general store, bank, and post office.

Now all that's left is the post office. For my dad, who grew up in Laporte. It's pretty disheartening. Every year rumors swirl that they're closing the sullivan school district as well. I think they graduate like 30-40 people now? ... (I graduated with 75 in 2005.)

Last edited:
Does anyone get into Salladsburg? I miss the old Cohick's Trading Post. I know it's Waltz's now. Has anyone been in there?

It's on 42 between Eagles Mere and Laporte. I went for the first time last summer, and was blown away by what was up there. As a kid, my dad and I used to fourwheel over there before George Jenkins bought it in 01. I remember being pissed, because it was roped off and we couldn't rip and tear up there anymore.

Mark and Lucy Stitzer have also put quite a bit into Eagles mere as well. I dipped ice cream at the Sweet shop for 5 summers, and the amount of people that come to the area for the summer has dropped significantly. However, there are a few who are trying desperately to restore the town, and they have the pockets to do it.

AS for the toboggan, I think it's been at least 3 years since they've done it. First reason being that it's not cold enough for the lake to get a foot of ice on it, but really I think they have a hard time finding the volunteers. If you ever get the chance to be in the area, highly recommend both.

Other than that... there's not much to do here unfortunately. When I was little, Laporte had 5 restaurants, a 2 hotels, medical center, general store, bank, and post office.

Now all that's left is the post office. For my dad, who grew up in Laporte. It's pretty disheartening. Every year rumors swirl that they're closing the sullivan school district as well. I think they graduate like 30-40 people now? ... (I graduated with 75 in 2005.)
Stitz certainly knew how to marry!

Other than that... there's not much to do here unfortunately. When I was little, Laporte had 5 restaurants, 2 hotels, medical center, general store, bank, and post office.

Man breaks my heart. How I loved as a driving up there on Friday nights after my parents got off work and stopping at Valley Inn in Muncy for a good steak dinner. Having a great weekend playing exploring hunting fishing outside of Hillsgrove. I realize now looking back on it how lucky I was ... Grandmother sold the house about 15 years ago now and havent been back up there since I moved to FL .... I have heard the winters arent as consistently cold now so the tobaggon slide is rarely made anymore. Renninger sold his general store and bought the bed and breakfast across the street the last I heard. I believe he was the one who gave President Carter guided trout fishing tours back in the 70s.

It was that Penn State education. In History. :cool:

Wise beyond his years i guess, a Rockafella
I knew Mark from HS (he was older and used to date my sister), and he turned up 2 doors down from me when I was a 1st term FR in Hamilton Hall w/ all the other golf team guys. On the other side of me was Jon Williams and Skeeter Nichols. Stitz got along w/ Skeeter just fine, but not Jon. We all thought Stitz would mouth off at the wrong time and Jonathan would just kill him at some point.

A bit off topic but Clinton County is playing BerliESPN. in Little League baseball tonight at 7pm on espn.

Hey y'all, we grew up in some great times and great places!

Amen ... My grandfathers ashes are spread over his favorite hunting spot up on Bear Mtn just up the street from where Hoagland Branch comes into Elk Creek Road. My grandmother just sold her place over in Everglades City and moved backed to Bucks County in with my family. She turns 90 next week and her ashes will be spread up on Bear Mtn with my grandfathers. Such a beautiful place Hillsgrove and Forksville with Worlds End State Park and High Knob Overlook. I feel blessed to have grown up on weekends and holidays in such a beautiful place. Grandfather built the house in 1950 I often thought how remote it was back then driving up there from Doylestown in Bucks County

Amen ... My grandfathers ashes are spread over his favorite hunting spot up on Bear Mtn just up the street from where Hoagland Branch comes into Elk Creek Road. My grandmother just sold her place over in Everglades City and moved backed to Bucks County in with my family. She turns 90 next week and her ashes will be spread up on Bear Mtn with my grandfathers. Such a beautiful place Hillsgrove and Forksville with Worlds End State Park and High Knob Overlook. I feel blessed to have grown up on weekends and holidays in such a beautiful place. Grandfather built the house in 1950 I often thought how remote it was back then driving up there from Doylestown in Bucks County
I grew up at a cabin called Mary Lou at the mouth of Little Bear and the Sock. She still stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT