ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PA Flooding (update 8-13)

Amen ... My grandfathers ashes are spread over his favorite hunting spot up on Bear Mtn just up the street from where Hoagland Branch comes into Elk Creek Road. My grandmother just sold her place over in Everglades City and moved backed to Bucks County in with my family. She turns 90 next week and her ashes will be spread up on Bear Mtn with my grandfathers. Such a beautiful place Hillsgrove and Forksville with Worlds End State Park and High Knob Overlook. I feel blessed to have grown up on weekends and holidays in such a beautiful place. Grandfather built the house in 1950 I often thought how remote it was back then driving up there from Doylestown in Bucks County
My brother's house is at the Top of Hoag.

I grew up at a cabin called Mary Lou at the mouth of Little Bear and the Sock. She still stands.

Get out! Our cabin was called the Black Squirrel. Head up Elk Creek Road past Hoagland Branch and our cabin was on the right the last one on the right along the road right before the turn that had the cliff down to Elk Creek. Last I heard the same owners have it and painted it brown with a big deck off the side. Houses around were on a little horseshoe driveway in a hollow. Heard they shut down Lincoln Falls as well years ago... Too many partys and broken glass at night. Always loved that baseball camp down near the Forksville Inn

Reactions: Hotshoe
Everglades City is a fascinating place. Your Grandmother doesn't seem to mind roughing it a bit...

She actually lived on Chockoloskee Island just past it... Whole island was under 11 feet of water during Irma... Lot people still havent recovered over there. Hearty folks was over there last several weekends packing things up for her. Where Joes stone crabs docks all his boats

Reactions: MtNittany
The chances of this MLB game not being rained out are becoming slimmer. The fact that the Mets are involved only means that if for some reason it's not raining, it only means the locusts are on the way.

Reactions: Hotshoe and bwifan
Forksville/87 again:

Rut Roh:

39101847_10217530481160145_5811311439792570368_n.jpg

39086630_10217530470999891_4659768018392317952_n.jpg

39079831_10217530475640007_1496330163128893440_n.jpg

Sonestown:

From PennDOT in Montoursville, PA – Motorists in north central Pennsylvania are advised several roads are impacted in the area due to flooding. The following roads currently are closed as of 3 PM.

Bradford

• Route 6 between Route 14 in Troy Township and Saco Road in North Towanda Township.

Columbia

• (New) Route 239 between Route 487 in Benton and Route 118 in Jackson Township.
  • Route 487 between Zaners Bridge Road in Fishing Creek Township and Camp Lavigne Road in Sugarloaf Township.
  • (Open) Route 1005 (Hidlay Church Road) between Fowlersville Road North Centre Township and Route 1003 (Low Street) in South Centre Township.
  • Route 1007 (Stony Brook Road) between both intersections with Route 487 in Orange Township.
  • (Open) Route 1015 (Golf Course Road) between Fowlersville Road in North Centre Township and Route 11 in South Centre Township.
  • Route 1019 (Cemetery Road) between Freas Avenue in Berwick and Martzville Road in Briar Creek Township.
  • Route 1022 (Zaners Bridge Road) between Route 254 in Greenwood Township and the Luzerne County line in Fishing Creek Township.
  • Route 1031 (Asbury Road) between Winding Road and Zaner Bridge Road in Fishing Creek Township.
  • Route 4004 (Ridge Road/Quarry Road) between Interchange Road in Hemlock Township and Route 11 in Montour Township.
  • (New) Route 4008 (Back Branch Road) between Millerton Road and Whites Church Road in Mt. Pleasant Township.
  • (New) Route 4009 (Millville Road) between Route 42 in Hemlock Township and Route 11 in the Town of Bloomsburg.
  • (New) Route 4020 (Green Creek Road) between Mt. Pleasant Road and Rohrsburg Road in Orange Township.
  • Route 4041 (Rohrsburg Road) between Route 487 and Neyhart Road in Orange Township.
  • Route 4049 (Central Road/Elk Grove Road) between Route 118 and the Sullivan County line in Sugarloaf Township.

Lycoming

• Route 42 between Route 118 in Jordan Township and Route 220 in Davidson Township, Sullivan County.
  • Route 220 between Route 405 in Wolf Township and Route 87 in Cherry Township, Sullivan County.
  • Route 2055 (Chippewa Road) between Route 405 in Muncy Creek Township and Beacon Light Road in Muncy Township.

Sullivan

• Route 154 between Route 220 in Laporte Township and Route 87 in Forksville.
  • Route 220 between Route 87 in Cherry Township and Route 405 in Wolf Township, Lycoming County.
  • Route 2002 (Main Street) between Route 220 in Davidson Township and Nordmont Road in Laporte Township.
  • Route 2006 (Hunters Road) between Christian Camp Road and Nordmont Road in Laporte Township.
  • Route 2008 (Christian Camp Road) between Hunters Road in Laporte Township and Whiskey Road in Davidson Township.
Tioga

• (New) Route 2005 (Old Route 15) between Wilson Lane in Blossburg and Route 660 in Covington Township.
Union

Motorists should be alert and watch for standing water on roadways throughout the area. They should never attempt to drive through flooded roadways.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 860 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

Tuesday morning Update: The Flash Flooding WARNING area is moving slightly to include Northern Lycoming County.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Ralston, Kettle Creek Gorge, Muncy Valley, Lincoln Falls, Barbours, Shunk, Dushore, Laporte, Forksville, Eagles Mere and Hillsgrove. PREPARE NOW.

Flash Flood Warning
PAC081-113-141345-
/O.NEW.KCTP.FF.W.0047.180814T1041Z-180814T1345Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service State College PA
641 AM EDT TUE AUG 14 2018

The National Weather Service in State College PA has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Northeastern Lycoming County in north central Pennsylvania...
Sullivan County in north central Pennsylvania...

* Until 945 AM EDT.

* At 640 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing heavy rain across the warned area. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Ralston, Kettle Creek Gorge, Muncy Valley, Lincoln Falls, Barbours, Shunk, Dushore, Laporte, Forksville, Eagles Mere and Hillsgrove.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.

Reactions: T J

Here's video of water running from 12th fairway into creek by pond. At Sugarloaf Golf Club. Not Country Club 8/13. My favorite hole on the golf course. Stunning view from tee box. Have to lay up in front of pond. Too far to hit green unless you're really good. Great Par 5

Reactions: NittanyLion15
Knoebel's flooding pictures circulating currently are repeats. They did not flood at all this week.
No one here is circulating anything. It's (unfortunately) an ongoing thread on a current event. When the pictures of Knoebels were posted, they were current. Anyone that checks in this late should be aware to go to the end of the thread.

Reactions: NittanyLion15
No one here is circulating anything. It's (unfortunately) an ongoing thread on a current event. When the pictures of Knoebels were posted, they were current. Anyone that checks in this late should be aware to go to the end of the thread.
I suggest reading the two posts above mine. There are photos circulating on Facebook purportedly from Knoebels flooding this week. Those are inaccurate, and I was pointing this out. There is no need to avoid going to the park.

Was at the park today. No flooding going on currently. The water in the park creeks were running high but was told ty were higher yesterday. Tomorrow won’t be a problem st the park. Walking in little league parade tomorrow hoping for ok weather then.

Get out! Our cabin was called the Black Squirrel. Head up Elk Creek Road past Hoagland Branch and our cabin was on the right the last one on the right along the road right before the turn that had the cliff down to Elk Creek. Last I heard the same owners have it and painted it brown with a big deck off the side. Houses around were on a little horseshoe driveway in a hollow. Heard they shut down Lincoln Falls as well years ago... Too many partys and broken glass at night. Always loved that baseball camp down near the Forksville Inn
I know exactly where you were at. So much great stuff in that area. From the Hillsgrove Hotel to High Knob Inn. I do miss it.

Reactions: bwifan
My brother just helped pour a new front porch on the Hillsgrove Hotel yesterday.

Reactions: bwifan
Still amazed the old covered bridge is still standing since 1850. Big Mike has the best sausage breakfast around. Thompson's sausage out of Jersey Shore.

Back in the day in the 50s you had to drive across the creek to get to the road on the other side of 87. Great pics of old station wagons in the 50s crossing the creek. If water was too high had to drive around the back side from Lincoln Falls to get to the house

I graduated with Big Mike's daughter, and his other daughter was a year older. Sax Daddy's on the Loyalsock was a must growing up, up here. ALways loved how the whole family did the whole thing, from the serving, the cooking, then to the show. Such a unique experience!

I hated having to go over to those camps for stuff during the summer, and in the spring for "midget league" ... yeah that's seriously what they called our version of little league baseball... haha

Almost Heaven Campground was where I battled the Forksville Bears, their field was always full of puddles big enough to drench you up to your knees... Then Camp Lycogis was where my sister spent a week every summer for girl scouts, which I always got drug along with her and my mom, which I hated.

Then in the late summer, I think it was camp maple lake that did a baseball camp that I attended a few times, never could stand that either.

There was 1 reason I never liked heading down 54 to Forksville, Hillsgrove, and shunk.

The friggin snakes... Especially in the Spring time before people scared the majority of them away, there were always rattle snakes slithering all over those camps... (Camp Brule was another one)...

My dad a few years back was looking at potentially buying Camp Lycogis, and we were over there surveying the remaining buildings, and sure enough without even thinking I jumped up on the main mess hall's wrap around porch and I heard the... Tts, Tts, tsss, tsss, Tsssssssss

After I about had a stroke, leaped 20 feet in the air, I ran back to the truck and sat in there until my dad was done looking at whatever he was looking at... he made it about 20 seconds longer than I did... Love me some country, Love me some endless mountain region, but the rattlesnakes out in that part of the county used to give me nightmares, still do...

If you grew up in Sullivan County, you were good for seeing at least 1 a year. Some of my friends messed around with them, had no fear.

..... I'm 6'3 and 210 pounds, and I so much as hear that rattle, and I lose my shit. Anyone else viewing ever run into a "Timber" Tss Tsss Tsssss Rattle Snake when you weren't expecting it?

Oh Shit is right..

Last edited:
My brother just helped pour a new front porch on the Hillsgrove Hotel yesterday.

Do they serve food there? I seriously feel like there are no places to eat up here anymore that are any good. Hit up the Barn last week with some friends, and had some kickass Garlic Parm wings, but the days of The Pine Tavern, The Laporte Hotel, The Swiss Chalet (now Double D's), The Whistle Stop, Birch Creek, The Dushore Hotel, High Knobb, Forkesville Inn, Sonestown Country Inn, Muncy Valley Inn, Puttz Pizza most of them now closed, being any good... are history.

It's just dollar stores and a subway for days

Do they serve food there? I seriously feel like there are no places to eat up here anymore that are any good. Hit up the Barn last week with some friends, and had some kickass Garlic Parm wings, but the days of The Pine Tavern, The Laporte Hotel, The Swiss Chalet (now Double D's), The Whistle Stop, Birch Creek, The Dushore Hotel, High Knobb, Forkesville Inn, Sonestown Country Inn, Muncy Valley Inn, Puttz Pizza most of them now closed, being any good... are history.

It's just dollar stores and a subway for days

We used to hit Gardiners Inn as well on 87 usually to catch the Eagles game. Ran into many rattlers mostly in spring and summer while fishing for trout. Especially if a drought the snakes would all come down off the mountain for water at elk creek or Hoagland branch and someplaces would have 3-4 curled up next to each other .... Snakes scare the ish out of me! Nice quiet day fly fishing and all of a sudden ts tss tsss... That area was incredible for me growing up there on weekends and holidays. From hunting fishing hiking or just sitting outside enjoying the outdoors I realize how blessed I was as a kid through my adult years. My grandfather and his friends would usually make a run over to the Canton Moose 1-2 times a year and thankfully had a designated driver to get them home

If your ever back there look at the big white house on the corner of Hoagland Branch road and Elk Creek road see if the name Wissinger is still above the front door facing Hoagland Branch road... Wondering if they still own the house. Father was a retired state trooper as a kid I used to see state police cars with the bubble gum light on the roof of the car think they were Ford LTD

If your ever back there look at the big white house on the corner of Hoagland Branch road and Elk Creek road see if the name Wissinger is still above the front door facing Hoagland Branch road... Wondering if they still own the house. Father was a retired state trooper as a kid I used to see state police cars with the bubble gum light on the roof of the car think they were Ford LTD
I'll let you know in a bit. I know it had some flood damage a few years ago when I was up.

I graduated with Big Mike's daughter, and his other daughter was a year older. Sax Daddy's on the Loyalsock was a must growing up, up here. ALways loved how the whole family did the whole thing, from the serving, the cooking, then to the show. Such a unique experience!

I hated having to go over to those camps for stuff during the summer, and in the spring for "midget league" ... yeah that's seriously what they called our version of little league baseball... haha

Almost Heaven Campground was where I battled the Forksville Bears, their field was always full of puddles big enough to drench you up to your knees... Then Camp Lycogis was where my sister spent a week every summer for girl scouts, which I always got drug along with her and my mom, which I hated.

Then in the late summer, I think it was camp maple lake that did a baseball camp that I attended a few times, never could stand that either.

There was 1 reason I never liked heading down 54 to Forksville, Hillsgrove, and shunk.

The friggin snakes... Especially in the Spring time before people scared the majority of them away, there were always rattle snakes slithering all over those camps... (Camp Brule was another one)...

My dad a few years back was looking at potentially buying Camp Lycogis, and we were over there surveying the remaining buildings, and sure enough without even thinking I jumped up on the main mess hall's wrap around porch and I heard the... Tts, Tts, tsss, tsss, Tsssssssss

After I about had a stroke, leaped 20 feet in the air, I ran back to the truck and sat in there until my dad was done looking at whatever he was looking at... he made it about 20 seconds longer than I did... Love me some country, Love me some endless mountain region, but the Rattlesnakes out in that part of the country used to give me nightmares, still do...

You grew up in Sullivan County, you were good for seeing at least 1 a year. Some of my friends messed around with them, had no fear.

..... I'm 6'3 and 210 pounds, and I so much as hear that rattle, and I lose my shit. Anyone else experience running into a Timber when you weren't expecting it?

Oh Shit is right..

This is fking hilarious.

Y'all still can't beat Eder's ice cream outside Montoursville. And the Barn? Love that damn barn. Also spent a ton of time up Little Pine crick. When I was a kid, my dad almost bought Harper's Creekside Bar. The old stone house was part of it but mom said no. Used to love going to the Waterville Hotel but the dude that owns it is a complete ass. Slate Run is an awesome area as well. Hotel Manor isn't bad. The bar and restaurant at Little Pine State Park is actually quite good. A few years ago, The Pine Cone Inn was pretty good, fully renovated with a huge covered deck, but they shut down. Then you have the Venture Inn on 44 heading towards Waterville. Up the Sock out of Montoursville there's the former Last Chance and the Forksville Inn. Can't go wrong.

I don't know how many spent time up Little Pine off 44, but my favorite place in the world was the Pine Creek Trading Post.

Reactions: bwifan and cment

After I about had a stroke, leaped 20 feet in the air, I ran back to the truck and sat in there until my dad was done looking at whatever he was looking at... he made it about 20 seconds longer than I did... Love me some country, Love me some endless mountain region, but the Rattlesnakes out in that part of the country used to give me nightmares, still do...

You grew up in Sullivan County, you were good for seeing at least 1 a year. Some of my friends messed around with them, had no fear.

..... I'm 6'3 and 210 pounds, and I so much as hear that rattle, and I lose my shit. Anyone else experience running into a Timber when you weren't expecting it?

Oh Shit is right..

Have enjoyed this thread as I'm a summer guest in Eagles Mere , the last couple year's the Rattlesnakes have gotten so bad on the golf course (EM CC) that if you hit one near the stone wall on #2 most will just drop and quickly move on. Also have spilled my share of beer at "the Barn".

We used to hit Gardiners Inn as well on 87 usually to catch the Eagles game. Ran into many rattlers mostly in spring and summer while fishing for trout. Especially if a drought the snakes would all come down off the mountain for water at elk creek or Hoagland branch and someplaces would have 3-4 curled up next to each other .... Snakes scare the ish out of me! Nice quiet day fly fishing and all of a sudden ts tss tsss... That area was incredible for me growing up there on weekends and holidays. From hunting fishing hiking or just sitting outside enjoying the outdoors I realize how blessed I was as a kid through my adult years. My grandfather and his friends would usually make a run over to the Canton Moose 1-2 times a year and thankfully had a designated driver to get them home

HA! about the Designated driver, my dad talks about that all the time. About how they would "make their rounds" around all the bars in the county... there's about 8 of them..... all about 8 miles apart..... The "I got this" mentality has been eradicated, which is good I guess... but not nearly as much fun. :oops:o_O:cool:

Have enjoyed this thread as I'm a summer guest in Eagles Mere , the last couple year's the Rattlesnakes have gotten so bad on the golf course (EM CC) that if you hit one near the stone wall on #2 most will just drop and quickly move on. Also have spilled my share of beer at "the Barn".

A dozen wings at "The Barn" and a rattlesnake grabbing your unwanted attention are two very unique things that this region can offer.
Still amazed the old covered bridge is still standing since 1850. Big Mike has the best sausage breakfast around. Thompson's sausage out of Jersey Shore.

Indeed, However... speaking of good PA Butcher shops, I recently heard the Country Store, in Pennsdale PA will be closing, if not already... Can't find an article online, however It's the rumor on the street.... err hills... 1839-2018.... After 179 Years in operation.. Think about that...

Reactions: bwifan and Hotshoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT