ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Hits CDs, why the music industry deserves piracy and worse

GarrettFildman

May 3, 2019
I like classic rock. My wife had recently bought me a few greatest hits CDs for a gift and I had bought some off Amazon myself. I like greatest hits CDs so we can listen to one great song after another on longer car rides. But it's clear that whoever is producing and selling all of these greatest hits CDs is flat out being deceptive. Let me explain.

So I pick out the 3rd CD of a Queen greatest hits set and pop it in yesterday. This is Queen, they have so many awesome songs. There is no way they can screw up a Queen Greatest Hits, right? Well, first of all, why are there 3 CDs? I didn't want 50 to 60 songs that Queen has done. I wanted their greatest hits one after another, not one after 2 or 3 songs I never heard of before. The most deceptive part is when you get to the real iconic songs. On this CD what stood out to me was Under Pressure which they apparently remixed as club music and the real tragedy was Another One Bites The Dust which was taken over by some rapper.

I'm sorry but Queen's Greatest Hits implies their greatest hits, not all the songs they did, overpriced, and with dance club and rap music destroying their best songs. I know this about money. I know they want to sell you an overpriced 3 CD set. But they also apparently want you to still buy every Queen album to get the real songs instead of this BS remixed crap. If I wanted some rapper that doesn't do intelligible English talking inappropriate jibberish over an iconic song, I would appreciate it advertised this way.

OK, lawyers. I can't stand you, but please make these idiots pay for the deception. It's not just Queen. They've done it with most of the greatest hits CDs I've bought now. Greatest hits used to mean greatest hits. I don't even want the garbage they sent me now.

Reactions: odshowtime
Party on dude.

rs-218173-waynes_world.jpg

I like classic rock. My wife had recently bought me a few greatest hits CDs for a gift and I had bought some off Amazon myself. I like greatest hits CDs so we can listen to one great song after another on longer car rides. But it's clear that whoever is producing and selling all of these greatest hits CDs is flat out being deceptive. Let me explain.

So I pick out the 3rd CD of a Queen greatest hits set and pop it in yesterday. This is Queen, they have so many awesome songs. There is no way they can screw up a Queen Greatest Hits, right? Well, first of all, why are there 3 CDs? I didn't want 50 to 60 songs that Queen has done. I wanted their greatest hits one after another, not one after 2 or 3 songs I never heard of before. The most deceptive part is when you get to the real iconic songs. On this CD what stood out to me was Under Pressure which they apparently remixed as club music and the real tragedy was Another One Bites The Dust which was taken over by some rapper.

I'm sorry but Queen's Greatest Hits implies their greatest hits, not all the songs they did, overpriced, and with dance club and rap music destroying their best songs. I know this about money. I know they want to sell you an overpriced 3 CD set. But they also apparently want you to still buy every Queen album to get the real songs instead of this BS remixed crap. If I wanted some rapper that doesn't do intelligible English talking inappropriate jibberish over an iconic song, I would appreciate it advertised this way.

OK, lawyers. I can't stand you, but please make these idiots pay for the deception. It's not just Queen. They've done it with most of the greatest hits CDs I've bought now. Greatest hits used to mean greatest hits. I don't even want the garbage they sent me now.

Did you buy them from Columbia House record club for a Penny?

you can actually look at the play list before purchasing. your wife can too.

I'm a fan of Queen as well but would have been really skeptical of a 3 CD greatest hits.

Sometimes, they list all of the songs on the outside of the CD and you can tell what songs are included. Also, didn't the fact that there were at least 3 Cds tip you off that maybe there were a lot of songs included?

SMH

Remixed tracks are often listed as such on the track list on the back insert, but remixes are not always labeled clearly. Also, this three-disc Queen set comes in a regular-size jewel case, which does not leave a lot of room to list details of 60 tracks. Is there a track list on the back insert?

Anyway, the record labels like to make money, of course. They reissue and reissue compilations of classic rock bands to make more money. Adding remixes helps them justify new compilations, at least to some fans. (Sadly, CDs are basically dead, so don't expect too many more CD compilations in the future.)

Where have you gone Napster? My favorite was Lime Wire - you could get ever song you wanted and it was free! Just a little illegal though.

Reactions: BBrown and AWS1022
I agree with the OP that 3 discs is too many as Queen only has about 5 songs worth listening to.

Get Spotify and make a play list of Queen songs that you want.

I agree with the OP that 3 discs is too many as Queen only has about 5 songs worth listening to.
OK, that’s way too low. But 3 discs worth? No.

But the OP could easily have looked at the song list before buying. And if it wasn’t on the disc, look it up online.

Reactions: Art and BBrown
OK, that’s way too low. But 3 discs worth? No.

But the OP could easily have looked at the song list before buying. And if it wasn’t on the disc, look it up online.
Or he could have purchased the Bohemian Rhapsody soundtrack which sounds more like what he was expecting.

Any you probably paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 for those 3 CDs. Upload the CDs. Make a play list. Burn to a new CD. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightOnState
Where have you gone Napster? My favorite was Lime Wire - you could get ever song you wanted and it was free! Just a little illegal though.
I used to use bearshare. I must have had 1,000....oh, never mind. The old AOL newsgroups were great too. You could download full albums in a 2 minutes.

Just fire up spotify, create a playlist and you are good to go.. Most cars these days at least have an Aux port if not blue tooth.

The fact that Mozart sold the most CDS in 2017 should tell you something.

Do you really think someone who buys CDs is capable of ripping and burning CDs?

I still copy CDs to CD-Rs. I'm a music collector, and I rip rare, expensive CDs to preserve the originals. This is mostly for the home where I care about sound quality and want to listen to a CD instead of streaming MP3s. As a collector, I never play a rare CD in the car, but I mostly play Spotify in the car.

Right! - point was, well over five songs, even for non-diehard fans of Queen.
And I recall buying Classic Queen and Queen’s Greatest hits A LONG time ago. They were seemingly released together-a blue CD cover and a maroon cover. Chock full of great songs. Loads of em! And many of their greatest hits were on Classic Queen. Go figure...

Maybe I’ll dig around my attic for then. Sell em as antiques!

Among the first CDs I purchased in the '80s was the following original EMI compilation. It was released in Europe. Great compilation and great sound. One disc. Essential.

117560949-2.jpg

Reactions: BBrown
my beef is that the industry wants me to buy, again, music I bought in other formats. So, I bought Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies" on vinyl. why do I have to guy it again for CD and/or iTunes? The license of the music is what I bought, not the physical tool. There was no legal disclaimer or contractual agreement.

But to the OP, get a subscription to one of the many streaming tools (like Spotify) and be done with physical things. My sons subscribe to spotify and listen 7x24. They have their earpods in, the phone plays it through their car radio via bluetooth, and into their sound system for nightime white noise for sleeping.

my beef is that the industry wants me to buy, again, music I bought in other formats. So, I bought Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies" on vinyl. why do I have to guy it again for CD and/or iTunes? The license of the music is what I bought, not the physical tool. There was no legal disclaimer or contractual agreement.

But to the OP, get a subscription to one of the many streaming tools (like Spotify) and be done with physical things. My sons subscribe to spotify and listen 7x24. They have their earpods in, the phone plays it through their car radio via bluetooth, and into their sound system for nightime white noise for sleeping.
Lots of great suggestions overall and I guess I'm a dinosaur with regard to playing and buying CDs. I just played part of the first CD of the set and it was much closer to my expectation. I suppose I should have realized that I needed to do more than just figure great band, greatest hits, click and buy. Maybe I'll do the spotify thing, is it subscription or pay by song?

Where do you store the songs if purchased (cloud, physical device like a phone) and what happens if you get a new phone or if spotify is bought out or goes the way of many others whose time has passed? I don't want to be rebuying songs someday.

LOL, I feel your pain. I have Talking Heads Stop Making Sense in Vinyl, Cassette, CD, and the Blu-ray of the Movie.
I really like that album. :)

Reactions: 91Joe95
Lots of great suggestions overall and I guess I'm a dinosaur with regard to playing and buying CDs. I just played part of the first CD of the set and it was much closer to my expectation. I suppose I should have realized that I needed to do more than just figure great band, greatest hits, click and buy. Maybe I'll do the spotify thing, is it subscription or pay by song?

Where do you store the songs if purchased (cloud, physical device like a phone) and what happens if you get a new phone or if spotify is bought out or goes the way of many others whose time has passed? I don't want to be rebuying songs someday.
If you want to download, you can do so at Apple iTunes or Android "Google Play". However, this is also passe. You can download Iheartradio, spotify or one of a thousand services and simply play whatever you want at any time $10/month depending upon the plan. You can also search for "Queen" and get queen similar music in terms of types, covers and era.

to be clear, I don't do much music anymore...not sure why, just lost interest. The old stuff got old and the new stuff hasn't captured me. Others, I am sure, have better recommendations.

Last edited:
The only Greatest Hits album I EVER spent money on was the iconic Aerosmith’s Greatest Hits (released in 1980) ... practically wore it out , front-ta-back during my undergrad years ‘84-‘88...

To this day - it’s the only Aerosmith one need own ... as their “reboot” work from Pump - forward is little more than forgettable, disposable pop...

Beyond that - if you REALLY like a band/artist, i never thought that a greatest hits album was the right avenue (or a good spend) as my experience is that the real gems are the deep tracks - as opposed to the overplayed singles that FM AOR stations would beat to death back in the day ...

Better yet

Head down to national record mart.

Now who remembers that and where was it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT