ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Hits CDs, why the music industry deserves piracy and worse

Better yet

Head down to national record mart.

Now who remembers that and where was it
I hung out many Friday nights in the 80's at the Warren (PA) Mall's arcade and right next door to the arcade was the National Record Mart. I bought a lot of vinyl from NRM (and concert tickets) for amateur DJ'g back in the day.

Better yet

Head down to national record mart.

Now who remembers that and where was it

College Ave. with the long, but not steep steps up to the front door. Near The Tavern. When you entered, you walked down steps or a ramp into the store. After National Record Mart, it was Vibes, another music shop. Then it was a cheap Penn State clothing store. Nothing seems to stay in business there.

Years ago, a bike shop was near there, opposite the Tavern, as I recall. That store went out of business long ago.

Reactions: razpsu and BBrown
Killer Queen
Bohemian Rhapsody
We Will Rock You
We Are the Champions
Flash
Radio Gaga
Somebody to Love
Another One Bites the Dust
Under Pressure
The Show Must Go On
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
HIGHLANDER SOUNDTRACK!

I like Killer Queen and Under Pressure (which strictly isn't a Queen song). Somebody To Love is okay.

The others I am either sick of due to hearing too many goddamned times (BR, WWRY) or never liked initially (Flash, WATC). Not a fan of the grandiose arena rock sound in general.

Lots of great suggestions overall and I guess I'm a dinosaur with regard to playing and buying CDs. I just played part of the first CD of the set and it was much closer to my expectation. I suppose I should have realized that I needed to do more than just figure great band, greatest hits, click and buy. Maybe I'll do the spotify thing, is it subscription or pay by song?

Where do you store the songs if purchased (cloud, physical device like a phone) and what happens if you get a new phone or if spotify is bought out or goes the way of many others whose time has passed? I don't want to be rebuying songs someday.

One reason to keep your CDs is that they sound better than compressed files. If you want to copy your CDs and keep their superior sound, try using something like this:

http://exactaudiocopy.de/

Reactions: BBrown
I hung out many Friday nights in the 80's at the Warren (PA) Mall's arcade and right next door to the arcade was the National Record Mart. I bought a lot of vinyl from NRM (and concert tickets) for amateur DJ'g back in the day.

Been there. I was home on leave once and bought a dozen LPs from their bargain bin (25 - 50 cents each). Ended up with about a half dozen of my favorite records. Next time I was home they were out of business.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Where have you gone Napster? My favorite was Lime Wire - you could get ever song you wanted and it was free! Just a little illegal though.

Of course you gave your computer AIDs in the process.

Black Sabbath's greatest hits album pisses me off. They put all the chill interludes from the albums on there. Fine in the context of the albums but no on wants to hear that crap on the greatest hits!! Keep the intensity up for the whole 4 sides. Totally stupid move from them back in the day.

Lots of great suggestions overall and I guess I'm a dinosaur with regard to playing and buying CDs. I just played part of the first CD of the set and it was much closer to my expectation. I suppose I should have realized that I needed to do more than just figure great band, greatest hits, click and buy. Maybe I'll do the spotify thing, is it subscription or pay by song?

Where do you store the songs if purchased (cloud, physical device like a phone) and what happens if you get a new phone or if spotify is bought out or goes the way of many others whose time has passed? I don't want to be rebuying songs someday.

They've gone through a few changes.

image-1550603492231000-y8t29yq4bm.jpg

Reactions: hagberg
Where have you gone Napster? My favorite was Lime Wire - you could get ever song you wanted and it was free! Just a little illegal though.

I'm proud to wear the badge of being part of the group that crashed the PSU network due to massive downloading on Napster. Followed by Scour Exchange, Gnutella, Kazaa, etc. To put a limit on data seems so archaic by today's standards.

Spotify has you pay a monthly fee to listen to whatever you want commercial free (they have 90% of what normal people are looking for). For free you can access to view/create playlists and listen to them on shuffle (with some advertisements).

Beyond that - if you REALLY like a band/artist, i never thought that a greatest hits album was the right avenue (or a good spend) as my experience is that the real gems are the deep tracks - as opposed to the overplayed singles that FM AOR stations would beat to death back in the day ...
So very true. I loathe greatest hits albums.

We had Queens Greatest Flix on video disk. Always thought that was a pretty good one, including the must haves of Save Me, Spead Your Wings, and Bicyle Race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT