ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Father/Son Trip to Cooperstown, NY?

PSUlaw

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2002
I'm looking for recommendations for a proposed weekend this July or August (places to stay, restaurants, best time to go, and if we should try to fit anything else in besides the HOF). It's been approximately 30 years since my dad took me as a kid, and we're looking to go back. We're both big baseball fans. We'd like to avoid the busiest weekends and long lines, if possible (meaning Hall of Fame weekend of July 22-25 is probably out, unless it is suggested that touring the hall that weekend is still manageable and places to stay at this late in the game would still be available & reasonable). I think we'd do a bed & breakfast again, but would like to think we would do separate rooms, if not crazy in price (and still somewhat nice & clean). Thinking of taking off work on a Friday and returning Sunday morning, making the drive from SE PA. Anyone do this trip recently and care to pass along any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: fairgambit
I'm looking for recommendations for a proposed weekend this July or August (places to stay, restaurants, best time to go, and if we should try to fit anything else in besides the HOF). It's been approximately 30 years since my dad took me as a kid, and we're looking to go back. We're both big baseball fans. We'd like to avoid the busiest weekends and long lines, if possible (meaning Hall of Fame weekend of July 22-25 is probably out, unless it is suggested that touring the hall that weekend is still manageable and places to stay at this late in the game would still be available & reasonable). I think we'd do a bed & breakfast again, but would like to think we would do separate rooms, if not crazy in price (and still somewhat nice & clean). Thinking of taking off work on a Friday and returning Sunday morning, making the drive from SE PA. Anyone do this trip recently and care to pass along any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!
I've never been there so I can't help you, but I think it's neat that you and your Dad are going back. My Dad passed away over 15 years ago, and I wish I had done more things with him in his later years.

I've never been there so I can't help you, but I think it's neat that you and your Dad are going back. My Dad passed away over 15 years ago, and I wish I had done more things with him in his later years.
I've been there three times, all day trips. My only suggestion is Brooks BBQ in Oneonta for a meal.

Last edited:
Check out the tournament schedule. Housing becomes impossible if you encounter one of the national tournaments.

Reactions: PSUlaw
I know when my brother and I went up for the Schmidt and Ashburn induction, the closest place we could get a room was Scranton. However, the crowds left after the induction and we were able to take a good tour of the HOF in the early evening--it's open until 9 pm--and had a reasonable dinner without a horrible wait. Parking outside town (free) and taking the "trolley" shuttle (small charge) is a good plan--though we walked quite a bit anyway. Patience is advised. But it is very much worth going.

If either of you has any interest, you might go to Saratoga racetrack some afternoon. It's like the Wrigley Field of horse racing on the east coast. Place really takes you back. Opening Day is July 22 and they race every day but Tuesdays into Sept. It would be a whole extra day in itself but very historic and so many great horses and jockeys raced there.

Reactions: artsandletters
Went to Cooperstown the weekend that Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripkin were enshrined. Phil Rizzuto died a couple of days earlier, so the flags at the HOF were at half staff. Just a wonderful place. The most memorable museum I have EVER been in, and that includes the National Museum, the Smithsonian, the London Museum, etc. That may sound ludicrous to many (most?), but it simply reflects the importance I attach to baseball and, in particular, its Hall of Fame. Aside from "Mr. President" and "Your Holiness," I don't personally believe that there is any greater honorific you can aspire to than "Hall of Famer." Especially in baseball.

Cooperstown is on the south shore of Otsego Lake. I mention it only because we did not book until shortly before the weekend in question, and everything in Cooperstown itself was booked solid. The motel we stayed at was a small (20 room?) motel about 15 miles from Cooperstown, north of Otsego Lake. It was an easy drive into town. Lots of nice restaurants and cafes in town. There is also a brewery. Ommegang Brewery just past the south end of Cooperstown. Great place. To top it off, Ommegang has come out with a Game of Thrones line of beers. LOL...

Last edited:
Reactions: psu1969a
Thanks for the suggestions so far ... we're now looking in August, as lodging has been tough for July (likely to the baseball tourneys mentioned above). We're hoping to stay in Cooperstown, but don't mind a short drive, if need be, in order to stay at a decent place.

I went with my father over a decade ago, and it was the last trip, significant time we had together. Would not trade that for the world. May worked fine, it is still cool there, but schools were not out so there were no tournaments. We stayed as some little motel which was old and out of date, but clean and safe. Restaurants were tough also, just not much of a selection.
Not sure how much of a fan you are, but you can spend 2 or 3 days there if you are serious. You can also breeze through in a few hours you are more casual about your interest. They will frequently have some type of special guest speaking, especially on the weekends. We had an old time radio announcer who demonstrated the sound effects he used to mimic ball hitting bat, etc.

Reactions: PSUlaw
My son and I just went last year for the first time. He was playing in the Dreams Park tourney. We finished 3rd out of the 104 that week so we only had an afternoon to spend in the town. So much more quaint than I would have ever imagined. The hall is surrounded by shops for a couple blocks, Doubleday field is a real treat. I honestly can't wait to go back with the full family but it won't likely be til my next son is playing. Every baseball fan should make the trip at least once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT