ADVERTISEMENT

WVU fan... A few questions about our trip to Happy Valley

MosbysGhost

Feb 2, 2023
Looking forward to visiting Happy Valley with my wife and two kids (9 and 7) next weekend!

I'm an '07 WVU grad so this is my first time seeing us play Penn St... I'm really looking forward to it and hoping for a competitive game to see how loud your crowd can be.

We will be arriving Friday evening and staying in a cabin at Hartman Campground.

Some questions as we get ready to make the trip:

1) Are there any family fun activities we should plan to do on Sunday besides touring the campus?

2) Any must visit restaurants around campus that we should go to while there?

3) Where should we plan to park? Anywhere I should go to buy a parking pass in advance? I'm guessing trying to Uber would be a bad idea.

4) Where can we find family-friendly tailgates to enjoy the afternoon? Are there any activities for kids setup like you see at NFL games?

Thank you in advance!

Got some advice on parking. Some here will disagree on this, but I'd advise you to get a parking pass from a scalper when you get close to the stadium. I'm not sure which direction you're coming in from so I can't tell you which lots are best. Parking passes are available in advance but will cost at least $60. Since we went to paperless tickets the scalpers make their money off of parking passes and they have plenty of them. With luck, you'll find a season ticket holder just looking to get rid of one for $10.

Reactions: MosbysGhost
Looking forward to visiting Happy Valley with my wife and two kids (9 and 7) next weekend!

I'm an '07 WVU grad so this is my first time seeing us play Penn St... I'm really looking forward to it and hoping for a competitive game to see how loud your crowd can be.

We will be arriving Friday evening and staying in a cabin at Hartman Campground.

1) Are there any family fun activities we should plan to do on Sunday besides touring the campus?

3) Where should we plan to park? Anywhere I should go to buy a parking pass in advance? I'm guessing trying to Uber would be a bad idea.

4) Where can we find family-friendly tailgates to enjoy the afternoon? Are there any activities for kids setup like you see at NFL games?

Thank you in advance!
You'll find several things around the stadium to keep kids entertained. See link below with some updates including family friendly zones.

Stadium updates

I agree with Bosco. Probably best to buy a parking pass from a scalper unless you can find somewhere reputable to get one online at this time (may be too late). If you walk around the tailgates you'll see a lot of friendly people. You will also see your fair share of idiots. Try to avoid student tailgates, particularly as it gets closer to game time when everybody is pretty lit up. DO NOT walk by the frat houses near town.

State College, to me at least, has never had a great restaurant scene. If you wander through downtown, just pick a place. A lot of bar food and fast casual places. The town is about a 25 minute walk from the stadium, depending in where you park. The HUB on campus, but close to downtown is a good place to crash for a while midday with kids. You can get out of the heat, watch early games on TV or get a bite to eat there. Plenty of space.

Sunday's a tough one. There is a PSU sports museum on the stadium that you could hit. Also look for the Arboretum. Not sure where you live, but I might investigate routing through Hershey on the way home.

Last edited:
Looking at the maps that campground is a considerable distance to the east. I would suggest you go to the plaza on S Atherton and take the CATA bus to the stadium. It will drop you off at the basketball arena close to the stadium. And pick you up there after the game. With such youngins in tow you won’t stay long after the game and the busses are the quickest way out as after game traffic will be a nightmare. They only run for an hour after the game but that will be after midnight so I am assuming you want out quickly. It is a short walk and avoids the crowds….great for the kids. And cheaper than the exorbitantly high parking fees around the stadium.

As for to do items…..depends on your family’s interests. The Aboretorium is pretty cool for nature lovers. There is a decent art museum, the mineralogy building has a neat mineral collection. The sports museum is ok. There are also other sporting events like womens volleyball and mens soccer. https://gopsusports.com/calendar including a two day womens volleyball invitational.

Don’t know the restaurant scene…..lots of tailgates everywhere. Most around the stadium are older alumni and good. Most students that get a bit crazier are the west of the stadium further away.

Last edited:
Looking at the maps that campground is a considerable distance to the east. I would suggest you go to the plaza on S Atherton and take the CATA bus to the stadium. It will drop you off at the basketball arena close to the stadium. And pick you up there after the game. With such youngins in tow you won’t stay long after the game and the busses are the quickest way out as after game traffic will be a nightmare. They only run for an hour after the game but that will be after midnight so I am assuming you want out quickly. It is a short walk and avoids the crowds….great for the kids. And cheaper than the exorbitantly high parking fees around the stadium.

As for to do items…..depends on your family’s interests. The Aboretorium is pretty cool for nature lovers. There is a decent art museum, the mineralogy building has a neat mineral collection. The sports museum is ok. There are also other sporting events like womens volleyball and mens soccer. https://gopsusports.com/calendar including a two day womens volleyball invitational.

Don’t know the restaurant scene…..lots of tailgates everywhere. Most around the stadium are older alumni and good. Most students that get a bit crazier are the west of the stadium further away.
Agree with parking in town and taking CATA bus. Make sure you have some $1 dollar bills & change to pay on the bus. Last year we parked @ an old Presbyterian church downtown that was only about two blocks from a CATA stop. We come from out of state so that worked well for us.

1. If you are driving, do your own tailgate. 10 x 10 canopy plus chairs, cooler small gas grill, radio, tv, etc. This is the very best way to experience happy valley, especially for a night game. The lots will be packed by 8 am. Maybe get there early, take an uber into town. Walk around, enjoy the campus. But I'd be back at my tailgate by 2 pm. Enjoy the 2nd best tailgating scene in college football, right behind Auburn.

Thank you in advance!
Enjoy your trip to PA. Wear your WVU gear and be friendly to people in the tailgate lots. They’ll invite you to join their tailgates and talk about the game. (Ignore drunk students- there tend to be a few bad apples everywhere).

The kids will like the creamery ice cream but lines can be very long at times.

The tailgating is in grass lots that surround the stadium so bring a football or frisbee to toss with the kids.

If you don’t already have a parking pass you have 3 choices. Pay the exorbitant fees and get one online or from the ticket office now. That way no worry. Otherwise you can get from a scalper as you head into town but that’s often hit or miss. The third option is to shuttle in as others have said.

Get into the stadium early enough for the pregame atmosphere. (Lines may be longer than normal- first game of the year and often not enough gate attendants to keep the crowd moving quickly).

Not sure of your timing but the kids may also like this off campus-

Other links to the area-

Last edited:
1. If you are driving, do your own tailgate. 10 x 10 canopy plus chairs, cooler small gas grill, radio, tv, etc. This is the very best way to experience happy valley, especially for a night game. The lots will be packed by 8 am. Maybe get there early, take an uber into town. Walk around, enjoy the campus. But I'd be back at my tailgate by 2 pm. Enjoy the 2nd best tailgating scene in college football, right behind Auburn.
Lots will not be packed at 8am for a 730 kick.

Enjoy your trip to PA. Wear your WVU gear and be friendly to people in the tailgate lots. They’ll invite you to join their tailgates and talk about the game. (Ignore drunk students- there tend to be a few bad apples everywhere).

The kids will like the creamery ice cream but lines can be very long at times.

The tailgating is in grass lots that surround the stadium so bring a football or frisbee to toss with the kids.

If you don’t already have a parking pass you have 3 choices. Pay the exorbitant fees and get one online or from the ticket office now. That way no worry. Otherwise you can get from a scalper as you head into town but that’s often hit or miss. The third option is to shuttle in as others have said.

Get into the stadium early enough for the pregame atmosphere. (Lines may be longer than normal- first game of the year and often not enough gate attendants to keep the crowd moving quickly).

Not sure of your timing but the kids may also like this off campus-

Other links to the area-

Good suggestions. Penns Cave may be a great Sunday option. For kids, I assume heading up to Tussey mountain and doing the go carts or batting cages is good. Kids would also like the Get Air https://getairsports.com/state-college/.

One caveat about using the CATA bus. You can’t take your couch so will have nothing to burn after the game!😉

Thank you in advance!
Read this thread also, many of your questions have been discussed .....

Thread 'Parking recommendations for Sept.2 from a WVU fan.' https://pennstate.forums.rivals.com...mmendations-for-sept-2-from-a-wvu-fan.339513/

Park in the Hills Plaza or Walmart and take the bus/shuttle to the stadium. On Sunday pack a lunch and water and hike up Mt. Nittany. Maybe the kids will get to see an actual Nittany Lion.

Here's the trailhead map if you decide to hike.

I agree with this, especially for visitors. many people have a secret sauce and are loath to give them up (for parking). I've parked at this plaza on several occasions and found it to be helpful. The police give the busses priority and you get in and out pretty quickly. And when you get out, you are beyond the biggest parking mess and can typically move on quickly. Plus, there are some decent places to chow near the plaza. The only downside is that if the game is close, and few leave early, there can be quite a line waiting for buses. This was the case in the 9 overtime game against Illinois two years ago. I expected the game to be over around 4pm. It didn't end until close to 7pm. Then there was a mess getting out because nobody wanted to leave an overtime game early. I didn't get to my car until 9ish. I got home ~ 1:00am and had to catch a 6am flight the next day.

As was stated, make sure you have a handful of $1 bills as this is the currency of choice (at least, last year).

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Excellent suggestions. My kids are about the same age and we head to State College (my hometown) for a few weeks visit every summer. Here are a few things that my kids like to do, some previously mentioned:
- The Penn State Arboretum is next to campus and has a large children's area to enjoy as well as grassy areas to run around.
- After the arboretum, take a short stroll for some ice cream at the Berkey Creamery. A Sunday morning visit would be easier on kids than a Saturday visit.
- The Earth and Mineral Sciences Museum is small but it has interesting and interactive displays for the whole family. It's in the Deike building on the other side of campus from the Creamery. Note that many campus buildings have restricted access on weekends, but if you are touring the campus and nearby, you could try.
- The kids like Happy Valley Mini Golf. It's also next to Meyer Dairy, an old fashioned dairy store which rivals the Creamery for fresh ice cream.
- Penn's Cave is a unique experience, taking a small boat ride through a large cavern. It's about a 30 minute drive from State College and you'll need at least an hour to visit. Gift shop and a snack/lunch bar with typical kid food.
- Sayers Dam, Whipple Dam and Greenwood Furnace are all about 30+ minutes from town. The water is cold but the kids get used to it and enjoy playing on the sandy beaches. You can rent boats at Sayers Dame. The others have pedal boats and kayaks but it seems to be hit or miss whether an attendant is there.

Enjoy your weekend!

Reactions: psu00
A few more tips I could have added.
- The campus is huge, especially for young legs. A few other outdoor places stand out and are worthy of a visit. The Nittany Lion Shrine, the front of Pattee Library looking down the mall toward town, and Old Main. All three make for excellent photo-ops.
- If you wander downtown, there is a non-chain toy store my kids like to look around, Growing Tree Toys. It's different than the chain toy stores while a little more pricey. At Duck Donuts, kids can watch their donuts be made-to-order.
- The Original Waffle Shop has the best darn waffles and pancakes. There are two locations in town. Lines can form any day of the week and will be longer on football weekends, but steady turnover keeps the line moving.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
A few more tips I could have added.
- The campus is huge, especially for young legs. A few other outdoor places stand out and are worthy of a visit. The Nittany Lion Shrine, the front of Pattee Library looking down the mall toward town, and Old Main. All three make for excellent photo-ops.
- If you wander downtown, there is a non-chain toy store my kids like to look around, Growing Tree Toys. It's different than the chain toy stores while a little more pricey. At Duck Donuts, kids can watch their donuts be made-to-order.
- The Original Waffle Shop has the best darn waffles and pancakes. There are two locations in town. Lines can form any day of the week and will be longer on football weekends, but steady turnover keeps the line moving.
Good stuff. The stadium is about a mile from the town. And mostly uphill on the way back to stadium for youngins. Visit town the day before or after so you can find parking. Or take busses back and forth.

The "Loop" Buses and Shuttles are free to ride. There are two loops which (Blue and White) each circle campus but take different routes to accomplish this, and a Red Link route goes from the stadium to West Campus. On football game days there are also shuttles operating as well.

Here is a link. Scroll down to the "Campus and Downtown Circular Routes" and also see the 'Football Shuttle Routes".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT