ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colombia

psuguy43

Sep 28, 2002
Castro jokes aside, has anyone been to Colombia recently ("recently" being the key word as I hear the country has really grown beyond the Castro and cartel days)?

I'll be going to Colombia (no Bogota, though). So far I will spend time in Cali, Medellin, Cartegena, the coffee region, and definitely some other cities... Maybe a side trip to Rio and/or Peru, too (I've already spent a month or two in Ecuador, so not looking at spending time there).

If you have spent time here, any tips on places to go (restaurants?) or things to do? I will only be spending 4 days in Poblado (Medellin) and am then going to an Airbnb in a nice, not-so-touristy neighborhood for 2 weeks not far from the Metro or stadium (or 70th Avienda).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Castro jokes aside, has anyone been to Colombia recently ("recently" being the key word as I hear the country has really grown beyond the Castro and cartel days)?

I'll be going to Colombia (no Bogota, though). So far I will spend time in Cali, Medellin, Cartegena, the coffee region, and definitely some other cities... Maybe a side trip to Rio and/or Peru, too (I've already spent a month or two in Ecuador, so not looking at spending time there).

If you have spent time here, any tips on places to go (restaurants?) or things to do? I will only be spending 4 days in Poblado (Medellin) and am then going to an Airbnb in a nice, not-so-touristy neighborhood for 2 weeks not far from the Metro or stadium (or 70th Avienda).

Thanks!

Following, as I am planning a trip next year.
There were some great airfares to Bogota available last year, but I went to Spain/Brazil instead.

Following, as I am planning a trip next year.
There were some great airfares to Bogota available last year, but I went to Spain/Brazil instead.
Very cheap flights to Colombia. You can get direct from JFK for like under $300-$400 if you hit it right. I am flying into Cali and out of Medellin

Thanks!

Castro? You mean Escobar?

Watch out for the Hippos.

Reactions: cment
Guy in our office about 8 years ago went down to a production facility in Columbia or Ecuador, forget which one. Facility was fenced and gated. He arrives at the facility in the mid morning and he sees a bunch of people and a cop car right outside the front gate. Long story short, he was told that about 30 minutes before that a car came from out of the mountains and was being chased by two other cars. The two cars managed to stop the one car and pull the guy out and shoot him and then get back in their cars and back off to the mountains. Guy at the plant said it happens a few times a year basically drug related shootings from the mountains spill over into the town.

while in Colubia
200.gif

Had a friend who was there for three weeks and had a fantastic time.

Cartagena is beautiful. Spent about 5 days there in 2020. Stayed at Hotel Getsemeni. I thought it was a good place. You will want to spend most of your evenings in the old city within the walls. "Carmen," "Restaurante 1621," and "Moshi" were three restaurants I thought were outstanding. But there are SO many great bars and restaurants.

Can also take a side trip by boat to the Rosario Islands. Ask them to show you where Pablo Escobar lived there.

Don't miss a tour of the old fort, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuguy43
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT