ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ski Breckenridge? Suggestions?

Class of 67

Jan 30, 2007
Lodging, non-skiing things to do, places to eat, other. Consider grandparents (can ski), 30-ish son (intermediate) & wife (raw novice), 1yr old.

I was just in Summit County with my family over the holidays, and we stayed in Silverthorne (near Keystone ski resort). We did a VRBO that worked out fine for us--I tend to like to stay in houses rather than in condos, as we had several cars to deal with off and on during the week.

Non-skiing things to do? Well, Frisco has a great nordic center, and we did some snowshoeing, which was a lot of fun. Great views from that nordic center as well. They also have a nice tubing hill for non-skiers. Also, Vail is about 40 minutes away on I-70. You could take the women in your group there and enjoy the day in town. As an added treat, make a reservation for the 10th Restaurant, which is at the top of the gondola at Vail. The restaurant is about 100 yards from the gondola at the top of the mountain.

Places to eat? Nothing is too fancy around there, but we had our best luck in Frisco. Silverheels was a great place to grab a drink, and they had live music in the evenings. We also had a good dinner at the Blue Spruce Inn. The Mint in Sliverthorne is one of those places where you grill your own steak, if you enjoy that sort of place. There are also a few breweries in the area, including the Breckenridge Brewery and the Dillon Dam Brewery. They tend to fill up fast, but they have good beer and good eats.

Have a great trip!

Lodging, non-skiing things to do, places to eat, other. Consider grandparents (can ski), 30-ish son (intermediate) & wife (raw novice), 1yr old.
Breckinridge, While convenient to Denver and generally getting more snow than other CO resorts because of altitude, but the altitude can cause problems with the elderly.

IMHO, There are better, less crowded lower altitude places to go skiing in CO.

So far this season, if you're interested in going to CO, the farther west you go the better...El Nino has dumped a lot of snow on the San Juan Mtns.

Skiing in CO during peak season generally comes down to budget....

I was just in Summit County with my family over the holidays, and we stayed in Silverthorne (near Keystone ski resort). We did a VRBO that worked out fine for us--I tend to like to stay in houses rather than in condos, as we had several cars to deal with off and on during the week.

Non-skiing things to do? Well, Frisco has a great nordic center, and we did some snowshoeing, which was a lot of fun. Great views from that nordic center as well. They also have a nice tubing hill for non-skiers. Also, Vail is about 40 minutes away on I-70. You could take the women in your group there and enjoy the day in town. As an added treat, make a reservation for the 10th Restaurant, which is at the top of the gondola at Vail. The restaurant is about 100 yards from the gondola at the top of the mountain.

Places to eat? Nothing is too fancy around there, but we had our best luck in Frisco. Silverheels was a great place to grab a drink, and they had live music in the evenings. We also had a good dinner at the Blue Spruce Inn. The Mint in Sliverthorne is one of those places where you grill your own steak, if you enjoy that sort of place. There are also a few breweries in the area, including the Breckenridge Brewery and the Dillon Dam Brewery. They tend to fill up fast, but they have good beer and good eats.

Have a great trip!

I'd like to do a day of Nordic, and tubing would be fun for the family with the 1+ yr old. Thanks.

Breckinridge, While convenient to Denver and generally getting more snow than other CO resorts because of altitude, but the altitude can cause problems with the elderly.

IMHO, There are better, less crowded lower altitude places to go skiing in CO.

So far this season, if you're interested in going to CO, the farther west you go the better...El Nino has dumped a lot of snow on the San Juan Mtns.

Skiing in CO during peak season generally comes down to budget....

Well, I'm not sure if 71 qualifies as elderly (I like to label myself as a senior), but point taken. Thanks for responding.

Go down the road to Arapaho Basin. Too many East Coast asshole tourists go to Summit County.

All th mountains here in Colorado have had very good snow so far. If you are looking for some different things to do, I recommend staying in Frisco. You can easily follow the snow to A-Basin, Keystone, Breck, Copper, The Beav and Vail. All within 30 minutes or so (Beaver Creek a bit further). You can easily spend 2 hours hanging in the villages at BC and Vail, and about same time in downtown Breck. You definitely don't need to stay in any if you want to have some flexibility. As one poster pointed out, Breck has highest elevation so altitude sickness could kick in. We got married at Breck and several folks were hit hard by the altitude.

Go down the road to Arapaho Basin. Too many East Coast asshole tourists go to Summit County.

Do not go to Arapaho Basin. It's expert skiing only. An average of 38 people die each year trying to ski A-Basin, many of them lost and never to be heard from again. I repeat, stay away from A-Basin. And tell your friends and family to stay away from A-Basin. And on your plane ride out to CO, be sure to tell anyone that will listen why they should stay away from A-Basin. Stick to the Brecks and Vails of the world. Stay alive!

Reactions: michnittlion
My daughter skied Copper Mtn the week before Christmas. She stayed with a college friend in Golden and it took about an hour to drive to Copper. Many people go to Breckenridge, but it's very pricey in comparison to Copper. Friends whose daughter lives in Denver said usually people want to ski Breckenridge, because they've heard of it, but locals like Copper because it's very nice and cheaper.

Breckenridge Brewery & Pub. It really surprised me how much I liked it. Especially the nitro vanilla porter.

Do not go to Arapaho Basin. It's expert skiing only. An average of 38 people die each year trying to ski A-Basin, many of them lost and never to be heard from again. I repeat, stay away from A-Basin. And tell your friends and family to stay away from A-Basin. And on your plane ride out to CO, be sure to tell anyone that will listen why they should stay away from A-Basin. Stick to the Brecks and Vails of the world. Stay alive!
That does it. I'm telling every A-hole I know to go skiing at Arapaho Basin. Thanks for the information and since I know a bunch of A-holes it'll be crowded this season no doubt. :D

LOL! Nice try A-basin skier! :)

Get REALLY REALLY stoned then just plow into 6 feet of power with ur tips up and coast... put on some headphones while listening to Jethro Tull and Electric Lady Land... what more could you want?

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Went to Breckenridge for the first time in March and loved it. We snowboarded on Peak 8 and 9 mostly and stuck to the greens and blues. The blues were not very challenging, me being somewhat new to snowboarding handled them just fine. The greens were a walk in the park some parts were actually flat and if you didn't have enough speed you had to take your board off and walk. A friend of mine did some double black diamonds on Skis and said it was beyond challenging. Everyone should be able to find a run that suits them.

We stayed at the lodge at Breckenridge and absolutely loved the hotel. It is a little further away from town but they had a shuttle service that was wonderful would pick you up and drop you off anywhere you wanted to go. It was a free service except for tipping the driver. They offered a Continental breakfast which was decent and nice to load up before a day on the slopes. They have an outdoor hot tub on there deck that looks right at the mountains which was incredible. Sitting in a hot tub at -10 with a beer in hand was one of the best parts of the trips.

As far as eating my favorite place was the Blue Stag Saloon. Had the venison stroganoff and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Great drinks there was well. Downstairs at Eric's was a great place to get a drink, the food looked good but did not have any just went in for drinks and watch a hockey game. Breckenridge Brewery was nice I liked the beer more than the food, but the food wasn't bad. Lots of places to pick from we just didn't have enough time to try them all.

For other activities to do you are pretty limited in choices without traveling. But I would highly recommend going dog sledding. It is not a cheap adventure but nothing there is. We went to Good time adventures in Breck and loved every bit of it. They offer snowmobiling also but we only took advantage of the dog sledding. The guides were awesome, you actually get to run the sled. It was a great experience. Lots of shopping opportunities in town, when we were there the wives did the shopping my friend and I hung out at a bar it was a good compromise.

As another poster mentioned altitude is a big deal there. I thought it was all hype before I got there and I was wrong. Drinks lots of water, then have some more, and then a little more just to be safe. I am not a water drinker but I started drinking water about 2 months before we went to try and get ahead and stay hydrated and it definitely paid off. Not one of us got altitude sickness. Just have to understand that you need lots of water and need to take breaks throughout the day you can't do everything that you normally do.

You're going to have blast. Enjoyed Breckenridge when I went there years ago. Spent many a ski trip in Colorado, mostly Vail and Steamboat. Many summer trips to Telluride, Aspen, and Colorado Springs. One time I got to sit next to LJ on the flight, that was fun. He was actually going there to speak to a PSU Alumni Group I think. I really enjoy the Rockies, any time of year. Love skiing out west. One thing that's nice is there's so much great skiing out there, you really can't lose. When I was in Breckenridge, I did run up to Vail, as I like It there. Easy drive. Never got to do Copper Mountain.

Know the advanced guys will hate me for this. but I like the big tourist mountains, there's plenty of trails that are fun whether your group has beginner, intermediate or advanced. I don't ski as often anymore, so I have to hit the lower slopes first to warm up my skiing before I work my way to the top. But once you get to the top, you say wow, this is just awesome.

Giving me a thrill just talking about it. Have fun.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
I've skied breck and it's a great mountain, but it's geared toward the younger (under 35) crowd. Lots of drinking and shenanigans going on compared to what you are looking for with family. Avoid A Basin bc it is a very technical mountain. I would try Cooper or Keystone.

I've skied breck and it's a great mountain, but it's geared toward the younger (under 35) crowd. Lots of drinking and shenanigans going on compared to what you are looking for with family. Avoid A Basin bc it is a very technical mountain. I would try Cooper or Keystone.

I know you meant 'Copper" not Cooper but it gives me a chance to point out that there is a "Ski Cooper". It's where the historic 10th Mountain Division did there ski training. It's still operating not far from Leadville.

If you get up to Vail be sure to stop in the Colorado Ski Museum. It's worth the visit. Lots of ski (and snowboard) history and great stuff about the 10th Mountain Division.

Really makes you feel old when you see stuff you skied on in a museum.

Know the advanced guys will hate me for this. but I like the big tourist mountains, there's plenty of trails that are fun whether your group has beginner, intermediate or advanced. I don't ski as often anymore, so I have to hit the lower slopes first to warm up my skiing before I work my way to the top. But once you get to the top, you say wow, this is just awesome.

I'm an advanced skier but I prefer the big mountains with lots of diversity too. I plan an annual trip for about 10 people of varied skill levels, so I love places that can keep both the experts and beginners happy. That said, the Summit County resorts are nice. My biggest issue with them that they get too crowded. I usually opt for destination resorts away from the cities to avoid lift lines. Places like Aspen, Jackson Hole, Big Sky and Tellluride are among my favorites and don't get very crowded because it's harder to get there. And I love the Salt Lake area because there are so many options a short drive from the city, and if you plan it right even Alta/Snowbird crowds are more manageable that what you get at Breck and Vail.

The downside to some of the resorts I like is that they lack the village, dining and shopping experience that many like. Alta/Snowbird are all about the terrain and skiing, not frills. IMO, Whistler offers the best of everything, but it's not a cheap resort. They have great terrain for all levels, amazing village experience and would be great for a family or a bunch of guys looking to party the night away. While Whistler isn't my favorite for any one thing I look for, they do just about everything better than average. Their biggest drawback is likely the snow, they get less than some of the US resorts, and due to their location their snow tends to be wetter and heavier. Once you experience the champagne powder in Utah, it's hard for other places to compare (CO is close).

Reactions: wslee1
Wow,we sure have some knowledgeable skiers here. Love the back bowls at Vail, and yes the resorts with the small villages where u can top off a good days skiing, with a great meal, hot chicks, drinks and late night fun. That's me for sure.

Been fortunate to have skied Whistler as well, largest verticle drop in NorthAmerica. Ditto PSUSignore, my thoughts exactly. I liked it, but prefer the Rockies. My brother was such an adventurist, he would always find great places to travel, then coax me to go there. We always had fun, how can't you, out west. It doesn't take much to make me happy though, I've skied Blue Knob, Pa, all my life.

Vail is expensive but, man, does it have a lot of terrain. Really good skiing there.

If you are planning a trip to any Vail resort the best buy you can get is the "epic pass". It's a season pass good at all of there resorts. Last season I spent 87 days skiing Vail for $749. That's $8.60 per day. This year I think it's 769 so if you plan on skiing 5 days or more, then buy the pass but they don't sell it all season so you have to plan

Vail Resorts has figured out how to make money. They are really good at it. The ski school makes a fortune while they pay the instructors next to nothing. Food on the mountain costs a fortune. Day tickets cost a huge amount but where they really make their money is in the towns infrastructure. They own hotels, ski shops, coffee shops, everything.

Somebody mentioned that it can get crowded. Sometimes that's true but if you know were to go you should never have to wait on line. There is one chair in particular that on the most crowded days will have empty chairs.

I would describe Vail as a fun mountain.

Reactions: wslee1
Given your group, I'd look to stay at the base of Peak 9. 9 has a lot of green terrain with easy access to more advanced terrain. There are a ton of places there and you could walk into town. I've stayed at Main Street station which has great access to the slopes and town. you could also look at peak 8 as it has a little green and again, easy access to more advanced terrain. Problem with peak 8 is it has limited lodging options and you are a shuttle or car ride into town. I've stayed at one ski hill place on 8. It is pricy but a very nice property. Peak 7 has exclusively blue terrain and access to more advanced terrain. Watch out for the time share folks on 7. They will suck you in with lodging discounts and try to sell you a place the whole time you are there.

The town is great. Michael's for Italian is good. Try the fennel and sausage pasta.
For a great burger at a better price, hit Ollie's.

I don't know of many options for the 1 year old except for tubing in Frisco.

I go to Breck at least twice a season and in the summer and would be glad to answer any more specific questions. I've also spent a lot of time at Vail, Beaver Creek and Keystone if you want info about them.

Given your group, I'd look to stay at the base of Peak 9. 9 has a lot of green terrain with easy access to more advanced terrain. There are a ton of places there and you could walk into town. I've stayed at Main Street station which has great access to the slopes and town. you could also look at peak 8 as it has a little green and again, easy access to more advanced terrain. Problem with peak 8 is it has limited lodging options and you are a shuttle or car ride into town. I've stayed at one ski hill place on 8. It is pricy but a very nice property. Peak 7 has exclusively blue terrain and access to more advanced terrain. Watch out for the time share folks on 7. They will suck you in with lodging discounts and try to sell you a place the whole time you are there.

The town is great. Michael's for Italian is good. Try the fennel and sausage pasta.
For a great burger at a better price, hit Ollie's.

I don't know of many options for the 1 year old except for tubing in Frisco.

I go to Breck at least twice a season and in the summer and would be glad to answer any more specific questions. I've also spent a lot of time at Vail, Beaver Creek and Keystone if you want info about them.
Thanks for your thoughts and the offer. Based on research I had already done, I narrowed in on Peak 9 lodging for the very reasons you give. While not my first choice, cost and other factors led me to reserve a two BR unit with W&D in Powderhorn Condos on Columbine Rd. Walkable to lift and town. Any thoughts on that lodging? In my younger days, I was an avid skier, and went West every winter. I'm familiar with virtually every area mentioned by the various posters, but most of their suggestions for planning the trip to those resorts do not apply to these grandparents taking young parents with toddler. This will be a gentle on-snow vacation with some skiing and tubing thrown in. I used to maybe do some partyin in the evening, get up early enough to hit the lift when it opened, and ski like hell until the lifts closed, go out to eat, and start the cycle over again. No days of rest. My only concern now with Breck is possible effects of altitude. It was never a problem decades ago, but I'm soon 71. So, we plan a first full day to acclimate, and I'm starting to drink lots of water thanks to one poster's suggestion.

Thanks for your thoughts and the offer. Based on research I had already done, I narrowed in on Peak 9 lodging for the very reasons you give. While not my first choice, cost and other factors led me to reserve a two BR unit with W&D in Powderhorn Condos on Columbine Rd. Walkable to lift and town. Any thoughts on that lodging? In my younger days, I was an avid skier, and went West every winter. I'm familiar with virtually every area mentioned by the various posters, but most of their suggestions for planning the trip to those resorts do not apply to these grandparents taking young parents with toddler. This will be a gentle on-snow vacation with some skiing and tubing thrown in. I used to maybe do some partyin in the evening, get up early enough to hit the lift when it opened, and ski like hell until the lifts closed, go out to eat, and start the cycle over again. No days of rest. My only concern now with Breck is possible effects of altitude. It was never a problem decades ago, but I'm soon 71. So, we plan a first full day to acclimate, and I'm starting to drink lots of water thanks to one poster's suggestion.
I don't know anyone who has stayed at the powderhorn. Having a W&D will come in handy.
If you have a chance, the Blue Moose across Main Street is a good breakfast place. I couldn't agree more with the hydrating suggestion. The altitude at Breck really hit my wife hard the first time there.

Consider downloading the epic app to track your skiing and for mountain info.

Enjoy your trip!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT