ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2020 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Lots of great bands from that era - I wonder if Oasis will ever get on the ballot?
Man, that’s a great one. I liked Oasis a lot. Not HUGE in America but certainly very popular for a period of time. If you look outside of the US, it’s hard to find another band that was bigger. They certainly weren’t original but wrote some good songs and had a significant impact worldwide.

Man, that’s a great one. I liked Oasis a lot. Not HUGE in America but certainly very popular for a period of time. If you look outside of the US, it’s hard to find another band that was bigger. They certainly weren’t original but wrote some good songs and had a significant impact worldwide.

Everything aside, Noel Gallagher is one of the top five songwriters of that generation.

source.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV
ELO doesn't ring a bell?
I am not terribly familiar with their music but if that's the case, we're up to a whopping two examples. And the Dave Matthews Band does not sound remotely similar to either.

People may not like their music, but the statement that the Dave Matthews Band doesn't do anything different musically than anybody else is absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ohio_Pirate
I am not terribly familiar with their music but if that's the case, we're up to a whopping two examples.

People may not like their music, but the statement that the Dave Matthews Band doesn't do anything different musically than anybody else is absurd.
Whatever. DMB sucks.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Before NIN, Depeche Mode should be in - pioneers of the post-punk alternative dance scene, more radio friendly hits than others in the genre, and hugely influential. They're long overdue (AS IS JOY DIVISION!!). They could clear the way for The Smiths too.

DP was alternative dance/electronica more so in their early years w/ Vince Clarke (who went to form Yazoo/Yaz and then Erasure) and shortly after he left, but w/ Martin Gore taking over as lead song-writer, they became more arena rock w/ a gothic edge.

Joy Division/New Order should get in, but they have yet to be nominated - probably due to not having enough commercial success even tho they have been a highly influential band(s) (New Order's best stuff is their songs driven by Peter Hook's bass and Stephen Morris' drums and not the more club-oriented stuff like Blue Monday.)

The Smiths definitely are deserving (twice nominated) as well, being another highly influential band, but not having enough commercial success will likely keep them out for the time being.

Benatar is the only 'rocker chick' on the list and she had a lot of hits - good case for her.

Pat is as deserving as her contemporary, Joan Jett - both being the most prominent rock chicks of their time.

Kraftwerk is maybe too niche but they paved the way for bands like NIN; very little critical acclaim in the U.S. and most folks don't know them. They should be in, but probably won't be.

Yep - highly influential.

Whitney Houston was incredibly accomplished but was not remotely rock and roll. If they want to induct her, then change the name to the Popular Music Hall of Fame.

That's what it really is - considering that Aretha (OK, some of her songs can be classified as rock), Marvin Gaye, Johnny Cash (likewise, some of his songs can be classified as rock), Etta James, Bob Marley, Al Green, various folk singers, Madonna, Run DMC, Jimmy Cliff, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, Nina Simone, N.W.A., etc. aren't rock.

Meanwhile, you have total absurdities like the omission of the Smiths, the Pixies, etc.

Pixies also highly influential.

Glad to see the Doobies finally get in.

The fact that Bon Jovi (in my opinion and the opinion of many, the worst band to have ever achieved massive commercial success), along w/ KISS and Def Leppard makes the Hall a bit of a joke.

And like Bon Jovi, Madonna didn't write most of her hit songs and she's a mediocre singer, but she sold tons of albums and was an icon when it came to popular culture (but musically? just bleh!).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT