ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Eh? Radiohead has three fantastic albums, two of which are near perfect (The Bends, OK Computer). They have longevity, critical reception, and influence going for them. Would have been interesting to see RATM continue, noting Audioslave was basically RATM minus ZDLR plus Chris Cornell.

Just my opinion, and I completely respect that of others. I personally think Radiohead blows, and I have listened to their music and tried to like them. Same thing with Stevie Nicks, just not my thing. I was in college when RATM came onto the scene, and love everything that they ever produced. Freshman year (94) at PSU, there was a time when every other car on a Friday night rolling through town with the system up was bumping Rage.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Def Leppard - a first-time nominee, though they've been eligible since 2005. I've never been a big fan. They had a pretty popular tour this year with Journey. Probably more known than most of the nominees. I wouldn't vote for them, but I see them as an outside chance of getting in
Devo - kind of hard for me to believe that they are even under consideration.
Janet Jackson - the family name, her dance moves in Rhythm Nation, her acting in Good Times, her starting her own record label ... I wouldn't vote for her, but I predict she'll get in
John Prine - hmm, quite a talent, but he seems more worthy of induction into the songwriter HOF, or the country HOF. I like his stuff, but I'd be stunned if he got in
Kraftwerk - Somebody at the HOF must be in love with them, as this is the fifth time they've been nominated. They were the pioneers of synth-rock. Perhaps the fifth time is the charm
LL Cool J - his fourth nomination. I was never a fan of hip-hop, so it's kind of hard for me to offer much of an opinion on his work, or his chances
MC5 - They've been eligible since 1991, and this is their third nomination. To some, these guys were punk rock before punk rock existed. I was never a fan, so I can't offer much of an opinion on their chances
Radiohead - they remain quite popular on the concert tour circuit, which probably boosts their chances. They certainly started off hot, with Creep being a hit from their first album. I think they stand a good chance of getting in, though they were never a favorite of mine
Rage Against the Machine - the 2nd straight year they were nominated. I'm not a fan, and would be surprised if they made it in to the HOF this year
Roxy Music - these guys were unique. I wasn't a huge fan, but I think they have a 50/50 shot this year.
Stevie Nicks - pretty much a guarantee that she'll win the fan vote, and the past several years the winner of that vote has gotten in. There are 22 artists that have gotten in more than once (as solo artists/band members, or members of multiple bands), but she would be the first female to be inducted more than once (her other time with Fleetwood Mac). Pretty much a stone, cold lock
The Cure - this is their 2nd nomination. They were different; hard to categorize. I wouldn't vote for them, but their uniqueness makes them tough for me to handicap
Todd Rundgren - I didn't realize he wasn't in. He's been rocking since he started Nazz in the late 60s, and he's considered a genius in the control room, where he's done a lot for quite a few artists over the years. (Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell owes a lot to his efforts behind the glass.) He's been eligible since 1995, yet this is his first nomination. The HOF likes people that were influential in the industry, and he fits that bill. I'd be stunned if he didn't get in.
Rufus & Chaka Khan - another tough one to handicap. Their collaboration albums were the essence of funk music. In that context, they should be near locks. That said, the HOF doesn't pay a lot of attention to funk. I think they are deserving, but I'd be surprised if they got in
The Zombies - their third nomination. Another group that I wasn't a big fan of, but they were influential within the industry, so I think they have a good shot to get in this year.
if Janet Jackson and LL Cool J can be on the list for Rock and Roll HOF, then John Prine should be a shoe in!!!

Reactions: A2Nit
Just my opinion, and I completely respect that of others. I personally think Radiohead blows, and I have listened to their music and tried to like them. Same thing with Stevie Nicks, just not my thing. I was in college when RATM came onto the scene, and love everything that they ever produced. Freshman year (94) at PSU, there was a time when every other car on a Friday night rolling through town with the system up was bumping Rage.

Yeah, I was a SO in '94, so RATM was in my wheel house too. Loved going to Blue Train Music every Monday at midnight (or was it Tuesday?) to get the new NIN, Pumpkins, Manson, Nirvana CD, etc. RATM is great, but they never sort of transcended their platform - Okay, full of rage and protest - got it - what next? I think ZDLR got burned out and everyone else wanted to keep playing music. Morello has been performing as 'The Nightwatchman' for the past 15 years. I know ZDLR did a bunch of work with Trent Reznor, DJ Shadow, and Questlove, and I hear a solo album may be imminent (of course, he recorded a ton of this stuff nearly 20 years ago).

Just my opinion, RATM is one of my favorite bands ever. LL is ok, I can see that nomination. The rest of them blow donkey.

Who the F is Kraftwerk? Radiohead is absolute garbage. Devo, really?

Link

See also (this is the 45 version not the album version):

After Rush was inducted I stopped caring. I can't think of too many bands that deserve it that have been skipped over, at least from the golden era of the 60s-80s.

We're down to bands with one totally kick ass live album and no great studio albums: Thin Lizzy, UFO, Humble Pie, MC5, etc.

Rage Against the Machine is great and they deserve the nod. I remember during the big free music festival on Blue & White weekend we were waiting for Run-DMC to come on and a radio promo guy handed me a promo copy of the Battle of Los Angeles. I was so happy because I wanted that CD and I could not afford it! Great album. Crappy mastering but awesome music.

After Rush was inducted I stopped caring. I can't think of too many bands that deserve it that have been skipped over, at least from the golden era of the 60s-80s.

We're down to bands with one totally kick ass live album and no great studio albums: Thin Lizzy, UFO, Humble Pie, MC5, etc.

Rage Against the Machine is great and they deserve the nod. I remember during the big free music festival on Blue & White weekend we were waiting for Run-DMC to come on and a radio promo guy handed me a promo copy of the Battle of Los Angeles. I was so happy because I wanted that CD and I could not afford it! Great album. Crappy mastering but awesome music.

I was fortunate to see RATM twice live, and they just killed it. I saw audioslave 3 times, and while amazing, just wasn't as good as RATM.

I can think of Several 80's bands that deserve it.
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
Joy Divison/New Order
The Cure

No great studio albums? Shows what little you know about rock music. Two of the best albums from the 70’s were Thin Lizzy’s Jailbreak and UFO’s Lights Out.

With regard to the list, there is nobody on that list that should be in a rock hall of fame. The list is just pure crap. I think the hall of fame has jumped the shark.

No great studio albums? Shows what little you know about rock music. Two of the best albums from the 70’s were Thin Lizzy’s Jailbreak and UFO’s Lights Out.

With regard to the list, there is nobody on that list that should be in a rock hall of fame. The list is just pure crap. I think the hall of fame has jumped the shark.

Rage is great.

You youngsters don't appreciate a talent like John Prine.

He and Bob Dylan are the best lyricists of the past 50 years. And Dylan thinks John Prine was better.

Bill Murray adores John Prine. What else do you need?

Reactions: MaconNitt

How little I know about rock music? Kiss my ass old man. That's my opinion after listening to them all. I like some studio albums by those bands, but none of them are "great". They all pale in comparison to the live albums that I'm referring to. The bands I mentioned all deserve a hall nod just for those live albums, over the dross on the current list.

Sounds like you are agreeing with me that UFO and Thin Lizzy are great artists but instead of being civil you call me out. You get one chance to not go on the ignore list since you're at least passionate about music, if not rude as hell about it.

yup. so they don't have to look too far...

That was good. I love good singer/songwriters. This guy, like most, is better at one than the other, but it’s honest. I have to explore more of his work. I still think Leonard Cohen is the gold standard. And I love Rufus Wainwright and Fiona Apple too; best of the modern era IMO.

Reactions: BBrown
I was fortunate to see RATM twice live, and they just killed it. I saw audioslave 3 times, and while amazing, just wasn't as good as RATM.

You're lucky. I had tickets to see Rage and the Beasties in Pittsburgh and a few days before the show Mike D broke his ankle riding his bike. Rage broke up soon after. Sucks.

I have seen Audioslave twice and they were good but not great. I saw the Prophets of Rage tour last summer for free with my tickmaster scam settlement vouchers and it was really fun show.

That was good. I love good singer/songwriters. This guy, like most, is better at one than the other, but it’s honest. I have to explore more of his work. I still think Leonard Cohen is the gold standard. And I love Rufus Wainwright and Fiona Apple too; best of the modern era IMO.
Cohen was simply genius.

How little I know about rock music? Kiss my ass old man. That's my opinion after listening to them all. I like some studio albums by those bands, but none of them are "great". They all pale in comparison to the live albums that I'm referring to. The bands I mentioned all deserve a hall nod just for those live albums, over the dross on the current list.

Sounds like you are agreeing with me that UFO and Thin Lizzy are great artists but instead of being civil you call me out. You get one chance to not go on the ignore list since you're at least passionate about music, if not rude as hell about it.
Any album with Jailbreak, Boys are Back in Town AND Cowboy Song on it is, by definition great - indeed legendary.

I'm a big fan of Rufas Wainwright as well but then I liked Kate and Anna McGarrigle.

I'm a big fan of Rufas Wainwright as well but then I liked Kate and Anna McGarrigle.

They’re awesome. His sister Martha is too. Seen them dozens of times.

And interesting fact - Rufus and Cohen’s daughter Lorca have a child together; they raise her together with Rufus’s partner Jorn.

Reactions: BBrown
Def Leppard
Jon Prine
Todd Rundgren
Stevie Nicks
MC5

Huge Leppard fan. From the beginning. If you are under 30 years old, I’m guessing that you hate them because they sound over produced. But, in the 80s, that was the norm. They were massively huge. Pyromania and Hysteria were gargantuan albums., selling 10, million and 12 million units respectively in the US alone.The toured incessantly, and pretty much have since then. And, minus Steve Clark, who passed away in the early 90s, it’s the same band since Pyromania. I saw them with Journey in Columbus in August. Sold out the Schottenstein center, and the crowd went crazy for them. They blew Journey off the stage. No backing tracks in concert either.

Reactions: odshowtime
I love hard rock, but most Def Leppard is utter garbage... particularly their over-produced eye-roll inducing mid and late-eighties pop radio shlock...

On Through the Night/High n Dry were decent efforts, tho
I was just thinking the same today. I heard Pour some sugar on me today & it struck me as incredibly bad. It's almost an attempt at heavy metal rap

Sorry, but I am not getting into a name calling game. But if I see a totally inaccurate statement, I am going to call it out. You didn’t state that it was your own opinion regarding those bands, rather your statement insinuated that was the consensus in the music scene at the time. Otherwise, I would have gone easier on you. And you can put me on ignore, because I don’t care (which by the way is a song by a Punk band named Klark Kent that was actually Stewart Copeland of the Police).

I was just thinking the same today. I heard Pour some sugar on me today & it struck me as incredibly bad. It's almost an attempt at heavy metal rap

Only a few songs make me angry... Pour-Some and Armageddon It constitute a one-two punch to my glans... both songs blow donkeys on a level not often seen in popular music ... simply very bad music

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT