ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

Def Leppard
Janet Jackson
LL Cool J
The Cure
The Zombies
(Cross off The Zombies and Janet if they can take less than 5)

Reactions: CF LION
The MC5 kicks ass but they really only have one good album. Of course that's more than most on this list.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Rage is the best option that is worthy of a place called the rock and roll hall of fame.

Small body of work. But important act. Radiohead and The Cure are rock though Radiohead got a lot more experimental as they evolved.

Reactions: lionroar88
and their live shows were legendary- that should count for something, but today it doesn't seem to

Another thing to consider is 25 years from now, which acts from today would be worthy* (mostly relating to the company kept, not necessarily the institution of the R&RHOF)?

I have same except Def instead of Devo. They will need a stadium band to balance the class.

And yes...we are heading to the lower levels.

Devo may be a local sentimental favorite considering they formed in Kent/Akron.

Reactions: BBrown
Kraftwerk is a really important band as they pioneered a lot of what is now called electronica.

First time I was driving in Europe, we had Autobahn playing as we hit the on ramp...

Reactions: BBrown
Devo may be a local sentimental favorite considering they formed in Kent/Akron.
Yet another reason to laugh at the concep of this “Hall of Fame”. Whether Devo is worth my is another subject...but when Local Boy does good is criteria vs carpetbaggers. (Facepalm)

I have same except Def instead of Devo. They will need a stadium band to balance the class.

And yes...we are heading to the lower levels.

I love hard rock, but most Def Leppard is utter garbage... particularly their over-produced eye-roll inducing mid and late-eighties pop radio shlock...

On Through the Night/High n Dry were decent efforts, tho

Young crowd, apparently.

I won't suggest Steppenwolf was arguably THE most influential band for their era but there is no question their music was an instrumental force in shaping the future of the industry. Aside from some really great songs that have long stood the test of time, they were trailblazers in the truest sense of the word. They belong, period.

And some here would be wise to revisit (or perhaps visit for the first time) the historical accomplishments of Todd Rundgren and John Prine. Yep, old timers both whose genre might not fit all that well with "you-know-who-you-are" but tough s@%t. They are both what this particular HOF should be about but all too often isn't.

Young crowd, apparently.

I won't suggest Steppenwolf was arguably THE most influential band for their era but there is no question their music was an instrumental force in shaping the future of the industry. Aside from some really great songs that have long stood the test of time, they were trailblazers in the truest sense of the word. They belong, period.

And some here would be wise to revisit (or perhaps visit for the first time) the historical accomplishments of Todd Rundgren and John Prine. Yep, old timers both whose genre might not fit all that well with "you-know-who-you-are" but tough s@%t. They are both what this particular HOF should be about but all too often isn't.
Finally someone who gets it!! Steppenwolf!! I still havent figured out who they pissed off not to get in!! And now you are telling John Prine aint in either?? the place just aint worthy to worry about!!

Reactions: nits74
Yet another reason to laugh at the concep of this “Hall of Fame”. Whether Devo is worth my is another subject...but when Local Boy does good is criteria vs carpetbaggers. (Facepalm)

There is MUCH more to Devo than the novelty of “Whip It”... their far out concept of the de-evolution of man (and music) is more-relevant now than ever... not to mention founding member Mark Mothersbaugh demonstrating his musical genius scoring a wagon-load of Hollywood blockbusters

Well, it's not a guarantee. Nine Inch Nails started in Cleveland and didn't get in on first ballot (noting Trent Reznor is from Mercer, Pa.).

Just my opinion, RATM is one of my favorite bands ever. LL is ok, I can see that nomination. The rest of them blow donkey.

Who the F is Kraftwerk? Radiohead is absolute garbage. Devo, really?

Eh? Radiohead has three fantastic albums, two of which are near perfect (The Bends, OK Computer). They have longevity, critical reception, and influence going for them. Would have been interesting to see RATM continue, noting Audioslave was basically RATM minus ZDLR plus Chris Cornell.

Def Leppard - a first-time nominee, though they've been eligible since 2005. I've never been a big fan. They had a pretty popular tour this year with Journey. Probably more known than most of the nominees. I wouldn't vote for them, but I see them as an outside chance of getting in
Devo - kind of hard for me to believe that they are even under consideration.
Janet Jackson - the family name, her dance moves in Rhythm Nation, her acting in Good Times, her starting her own record label ... I wouldn't vote for her, but I predict she'll get in
John Prine - hmm, quite a talent, but he seems more worthy of induction into the songwriter HOF, or the country HOF. I like his stuff, but I'd be stunned if he got in
Kraftwerk - Somebody at the HOF must be in love with them, as this is the fifth time they've been nominated. They were the pioneers of synth-rock. Perhaps the fifth time is the charm
LL Cool J - his fourth nomination. I was never a fan of hip-hop, so it's kind of hard for me to offer much of an opinion on his work, or his chances
MC5 - They've been eligible since 1991, and this is their third nomination. To some, these guys were punk rock before punk rock existed. I was never a fan, so I can't offer much of an opinion on their chances
Radiohead - they remain quite popular on the concert tour circuit, which probably boosts their chances. They certainly started off hot, with Creep being a hit from their first album. I think they stand a good chance of getting in, though they were never a favorite of mine
Rage Against the Machine - the 2nd straight year they were nominated. I'm not a fan, and would be surprised if they made it in to the HOF this year
Roxy Music - these guys were unique. I wasn't a huge fan, but I think they have a 50/50 shot this year.
Stevie Nicks - pretty much a guarantee that she'll win the fan vote, and the past several years the winner of that vote has gotten in. There are 22 artists that have gotten in more than once (as solo artists/band members, or members of multiple bands), but she would be the first female to be inducted more than once (her other time with Fleetwood Mac). Pretty much a stone, cold lock
The Cure - this is their 2nd nomination. They were different; hard to categorize. I wouldn't vote for them, but their uniqueness makes them tough for me to handicap
Todd Rundgren - I didn't realize he wasn't in. He's been rocking since he started Nazz in the late 60s, and he's considered a genius in the control room, where he's done a lot for quite a few artists over the years. (Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell owes a lot to his efforts behind the glass.) He's been eligible since 1995, yet this is his first nomination. The HOF likes people that were influential in the industry, and he fits that bill. I'd be stunned if he didn't get in.
Rufus & Chaka Khan - another tough one to handicap. Their collaboration albums were the essence of funk music. In that context, they should be near locks. That said, the HOF doesn't pay a lot of attention to funk. I think they are deserving, but I'd be surprised if they got in
The Zombies - their third nomination. Another group that I wasn't a big fan of, but they were influential within the industry, so I think they have a good shot to get in this year.

Yup. They screwed up with too many inductees per year. Should be limited to 1 or 2 at most. Also, might as well just change the name to "Music Hall of Fame". To label some of these acts (including some current inductees) as "Rock-n-Roll" is flat out wrong.
Completely agree with this. There shouldn’t be a set number that must go in each year. And if you visit the Hall, you’ll know it’s much more than Rock and Roll.

That said, I absolutely loved visiting it. We went after the Pitt game this year.

Here’s my write up on it. I’d say put it on your bucket list if you like music.

https://wanderingspectator.wordpress.com/2018/09/24/rustbelt-roadtrip-part-3-cleveland/

Reactions: FHSPSU67 and Bob78
In fact, it’s kind of an embarrassing list for them to be on.

Probably zero chance any original members show up for this, save Morello, who might so he could protest something. He's amazing though.

A-6952-1520522616-9229.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: Connorpozlee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT