ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rock n Roll Hall of Fame nominees

I can think of Several 80's bands that deserve it.
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
Joy Divison/New Order
The Cure
How can these not be in while Rage Against the Machine and Radiohead are actually being discussed? And I say this having grown up with the music of the 90s not the 80s.

RATM had one great song on their first album. And even that was kind of weird. After that it is really a stretch to say they belong in the HOF. If you're being honest with yourself, you know that a lot of it was basically unlistenable.

Similar for Radiohead. A very high ratio of unlistenable junk to great songs. Although I am kind of shocked Radiohead isn't in already. The music press at the time was constantly declaring them super-geniuses. They could have recorded a cover version of the Mr. Belvedere theme song and Rolling Stone would declare it one of the top 10 songs in history.

How can these not be in while Rage Against the Machine and Radiohead are actually being discussed? And I say this having grown up with the music of the 90s not the 80s.

RATM had one great song on their first album. And even that was kind of weird. After that it is really a stretch to say they belong in the HOF. If you're being honest with yourself, you know that a lot of it was basically unlistenable.

Similar for Radiohead. A very high ratio of unlistenable junk to great songs. Although I am kind of shocked Radiohead isn't in already. The music press at the time was constantly declaring them super-geniuses. They could have recorded a cover version of the Mr. Belvedere theme song and Rolling Stone would declare it one of the top 10 songs in history.

Music is about the most subjective thing out there. That said, which song is the great song on the first Rage album and how was it distinctively different from the rest of the album? Or the rest of their albums, for that matter.

Reactions: BBrown
Sorry, but I am not getting into a name calling game. But if I see a totally inaccurate statement, I am going to call it out. You didn’t state that it was your own opinion regarding those bands, rather your statement insinuated that was the consensus in the music scene at the time. Otherwise, I would have gone easier on you. And you can put me on ignore, because I don’t care (which by the way is a song by a Punk band named Klark Kent that was actually Stewart Copeland of the Police).

Ah, I see. You're the civil one and I'm engaging in name calling. Good riddance. I don't need to see any more of your opinions.

Any album with Jailbreak, Boys are Back in Town AND Cowboy Song on it is, by definition great - indeed legendary.

Exactly, that's why Live and Dangerous is a legendary album. Stronger versions of the songs, no filler, unlike Jailbreak. I want to love Jailbreak, but their is a bit of straight garbage on there mixed in with the good songs.

Do you think Jailbreak is a better album than Live and Dangerous?

Which zombies? The original that broke up before the songs got popular or one of the multiple fake bands that toured under that name

That’s a fun story....

You're lucky. I had tickets to see Rage and the Beasties in Pittsburgh and a few days before the show Mike D broke his ankle riding his bike. Rage broke up soon after. Sucks.

I have seen Audioslave twice and they were good but not great. I saw the Prophets of Rage tour last summer for free with my tickmaster scam settlement vouchers and it was really fun show.

Rhyme and reason 2000... I had forgotten about that. I had ridiculous tickets, in the small pit in front of the stage. I believe it was his collar bone he broke when he hit a pot hole on his bike. Then RATM stopped playing together, and I thought I would never see BB. I did catch them a few years later and they were not good. They changed all their lyrics to be PC.

I had the pleasure of seeing Chris Cornell many times. 4 times with soundgarden, 3 with Audioslave, 3 with Temple of the Dog, and 1 solo. Audioslave was the worst fit for him, don't get me wrong, I love their music. But Soundgarden live was ridiculous.

Reactions: odshowtime
Music is about the most subjective thing out there. That said, which song is the great song on the first Rage album and how was it distinctively different from the rest of the album? Or the rest of their albums, for that matter.

The entire first album is amazing. One of the few albums I can listen to from cover to cover and love every minute.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Yes and no. I don't like RATM, never did. If I want protest I much prefer Michael Frenti and Spearhead.
But I do like a lot of Radiohead. IMO you can't get much better than your debut album being Pablo Honey then followed by The Bends and then Ok Computer. They start to lose me at Kid A but I can appreciate the "art" behind it just not so much the "music" if that makes any sense to anyone but me. LOL.
Morrissey is a dick but so are many artists. But he and Johnny Marr were amazing and The Smiths deserve to be in.
As does Depeche Mode, Joy Division/New Order and The Cure.

Yea about the only thing more subjective than Music is Beer, art and possibly comedy.;)

I eye-roll at the concept of the R&R HOF precisely as I do when I hear about candidates for the National Toy Hall of Fame ... Baseball. Football. Basketball. Hockey. Okay.... Rock & Roll? Toys? What’s next, food? how effing stupid...

i suppose at least some people get to make a (pretty good) living administering this nonsense ... but they’re not getting my money

http://www.toyhalloffame.org/finalists

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Rhyme and reason 2000... I had forgotten about that. I had ridiculous tickets, in the small pit in front of the stage. I believe it was his collar bone he broke when he hit a pot hole on his bike. Then RATM stopped playing together, and I thought I would never see BB. I did catch them a few years later and they were not good. They changed all their lyrics to be PC.

I had the pleasure of seeing Chris Cornell many times. 4 times with soundgarden, 3 with Audioslave, 3 with Temple of the Dog, and 1 solo. Audioslave was the worst fit for him, don't get me wrong, I love their music. But Soundgarden live was ridiculous.

I've seen SG a few times, the last time about a month before he ended it. Very, very sad.

I eye-roll at the concept of the R&R HOF precisely as I do when I hear about candidates for the National Toy Hall of Fame ... Baseball. Football. Basketball. Hockey. Okay.... Rock & Roll? Toys? What’s next, food? how effing stupid...

i suppose at least some people get to make a (pretty good) living administering this nonsense ... but they’re not getting my money

http://www.toyhalloffame.org/finalists

HOLY SH*T!!! TIC TAC TOE ISN'T IN THE TOY HOF ALREADY?!

American Girl Dolls and Masters of the Universe are locks!!!

Young crowd, apparently.

I won't suggest Steppenwolf was arguably THE most influential band for their era but there is no question their music was an instrumental force in shaping the future of the industry. Aside from some really great songs that have long stood the test of time, they were trailblazers in the truest sense of the word. They belong, period.

And some here would be wise to revisit (or perhaps visit for the first time) the historical accomplishments of Todd Rundgren and John Prine. Yep, old timers both whose genre might not fit all that well with "you-know-who-you-are" but tough s@%t. They are both what this particular HOF should be about but all too often isn't.
When I was in high school, we had a free play Wurlitzer in the cafeteria. Steppenwolf, The Beatles, and the Stones dominated it.

The following artists received the top 5 most votes from the fan vote:

- Def Leppard (547,647)
- Stevie Nicks (427,844)
- Todd Rundgren (365,370)
- The Zombies (329,052)
- The Cure! (264,443)

As such, each artist/group receives one additional vote in the nominee votes.

The HOF will announce the 2019 class on 12/13 (Thursday) at 8 am EST

The fan vote for those that didn't finish in the top 5 were:

- Janet Jackson (218,581)
- Devo (186,754)
- Roxy Music (167,307)
- Rage Against the Machine (148,208)
- Radiohead (140,458)
- John Prine (136,746)
- LL Cool J (119,657)
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan (99,724)
- Kraftwork (87,456)
- MC5 (85,304)

Then the 'fans' are nutz. Todd Rundgren was one of the innovators of the 'music video' that dominated MTV for two decades. After NAZ, he was a highly successful solo artist and industry insider. He produced some of the iconic albums of the 80s and 90s. Todd is a shoe-in. If not, something is wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT