ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018 Phillies Thread.....

How many dumb plays can Knapp make in one season? I was thinking pinch running for him being at first with 2 outs.

that really was a bone-headed play by him on the basepath. Baseball 101 -- you don't go more than a couple of steps past second until you see the 3rd baseman release the throw. I learned that in Little League, and years later taught that to the kids I coached in Little League.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
walk-off 3-run HR for Nimmo, and the Mets win it 3-0.

The starting pitchers for both teams did well. Leiter threw a breaking ball that Nimmo crushed. Leiter almost got out of the inning on the previous batter. He had a 3-2 count on Reyes, and it was real close on whether Reyes swung or not. The 3rd base ump ruled that he did not swing.

Disappointing ending for Phils fans.

The home plate ump definitely wanted the game to end the way he was calling it against Leiter that last inning. Tough loss for the Phillies but they couldn’t capitalize on their few opportunities.

Not that it would have mattered but how about the obvious trap on that short fly ball to CF that they let stand? They didn't want to get into where to put the runners, that's the whole thing in my eyes. I knew there would be issues like this when they brought in replay. Plays evolve and you can't assume. They took the easy way out and gave them the out. It was a hit. Again, not that it would have changed anything but the umpiring tonight was bad.

Not that it would have mattered but how about the obvious trap on that short fly ball to CF that they let stand? They didn't want to get into where to put the runners, that's the whole thing in my eyes. I knew there would be issues like this when they brought in replay. Plays evolve and you can't assume. They took the easy way out and gave them the out. It was a hit. Again, not that it would have changed anything but the umpiring tonight was bad.

Was just going to post this. I missed innings 3 thru 8 for a fireworks show. Just saw that replay. That’s pathetic that they missed that call

I keep trying to like Kapler, but he has no issues with Knapp's bonehead aggressiveness and stands behind him. "He could score on a wild pitch if getting to third". Really?

Bottom line is that could have been a sweep against a bad team and instead they get a split heading to play another bad team.

I keep trying to like Kapler, but he has no issues with Knapp's bonehead aggressiveness and stands behind him. "He could score on a wild pitch if getting to third". Really?

Bottom line is that could have been a sweep against a bad team and instead they get a split heading to play another bad team.

I’m sure he does, but he’s a guy who only focuses on the positive. Actually reminds me a bit of CJF in that regard.

Gabe is growing on me but I am also a complete believer in Sabre metrics as well .... So I’m more likely to give benefit of doubt

Reactions: Relayer
I’m sure he does, but he’s a guy who only focuses on the positive. Actually reminds me a bit of CJF in that regard.

Gabe is growing on me but I am also a complete believer in Sabre metrics as well .... So I’m more likely to give benefit of doubt

However I freely admit that all the advanced stats, information, technology etc have made it a less entertaining game.

Yeah imagine if that call was made in the WS or a playoff game, and then it stood up on replay. It would be a shiz volcano.

I hear you. Sometimes I think they should just assume all “close calls” are in play, then review after. Allow the play to continue and then rectify if need be

Speaking of Knapp, let's talk about his defense. Can't catch a pitched ball. Several times tonight. Kid is 25 or 26, I know but can't Alfaro go two games straight anymore? The backup catcher should be used once a week. For the life of me I can't reckon him hitting leadoff or 9th behind the pitcher either. That's just stunning.

But hey, the team is still tied for first and has four very winnable games going into the break. Well surpassed my expectations. Just games like this you gotta shake your head. Not to take anything away from DeGrom, he is the man. Win tomorrow and at least 2 of 3 in MIA. Maybe go into the break with a game.5 lead. Braves have the Snakes. They could lose 2 of 3 easy.

I attended the AAA All Star Game last night. Cole Irvin started for the IL Stars and Meneses started at first and went 2-3. My seat was second row by the bullpen. I was wearing my new IronPigs hat and got Irvin to autograph it. There were a couple of guys in the game throwing 97-98 mph. Impressive. Came within an inch of getting a ball. But at 62, I'm going to get out jumped... Will post a pic or two tonight or tomorrow.

The AAA National Championship game is also in Columbus, and I may try to go to that. The Pigs look good for the IL playoffs right now, so you never know.

Reactions: psrurock
I attended the AAA All Star Game last night. Cole Irvin started for the IL Stars and Meneses started at first and went 2-3. My seat was second row by the bullpen. I was wearing my new IronPigs hat and got Irvin to autograph it. There were a couple of guys in the game throwing 97-98 mph. Impressive. Came within an inch of getting a ball. But at 62, I'm going to get out jumped... Will post a pic or two tonight or tomorrow.

The AAA National Championship game is also in Columbus, and I may try to go to that. The Pigs look good for the IL playoffs right now, so you never know.
Is Irvin a legit prospect? Mid-rotation or higher? Or just a guy? Tough to get a read on many guys in AAA

Is Irvin a legit prospect? Mid-rotation or higher? Or just a guy? Tough to get a read on many guys in AAA
He was a high round draft pick a year or so ago if I'm not mistaken and he's a lefty...so, IMO he needs to be brought up at some point to see what he can do in the show. De Los Santos looked pretty good in his first effort

It's good to have both of them in AAA stretched out and putting up numbers. Potentially as fill ins and as trade bait. At least until the next guys are dominating AA.

He was a high round draft pick a year or so ago if I'm not mistaken and he's a lefty...so, IMO he needs to be brought up at some point to see what he can do in the show. De Los Santos looked pretty good in his first effort

5th round pick of the Phils in the 2016 draft. The top 3 picks of the Phils that year were high school players (Mickey Moniak, Kevin Gowdy, and Cole Stobbe), so they have some growing to do. The 4th round pick was Jojo Romero, a left-handed pitcher. Going into the draft, Irvin was ranked as the #195 player in the Baseball America draft rankings, and the #138 player in the MLB draft rankings. The Phils took him as the #137 pick in the draft.

Speaking of Knapp, let's talk about his defense. Can't catch a pitched ball. Several times tonight. Kid is 25 or 26, I know but can't Alfaro go two games straight anymore? The backup catcher should be used once a week. For the life of me I can't reckon him hitting leadoff or 9th behind the pitcher either. That's just stunning.

But hey, the team is still tied for first and has four very winnable games going into the break. Well surpassed my expectations. Just games like this you gotta shake your head. Not to take anything away from DeGrom, he is the man. Win tomorrow and at least 2 of 3 in MIA. Maybe go into the break with a game.5 lead. Braves have the Snakes. They could lose 2 of 3 easy.

I've been real critical of the Phillies organization throughout this thread and, I have to admit, that their performance so far has been not just surprising but shocking to me. Another perfect example that if you have good or very good starting pitching, you're in every game.

Catching is another problem area. How many times have they been called for interference this year? 3 or 4? It should happen once a year, if that.

5th round pick of the Phils in the 2016 draft. The top 3 picks of the Phils that year were high school players (Mickey Moniak, Kevin Gowdy, and Cole Stobbe), so they have some growing to do. The 4th round pick was Jojo Romero, a left-handed pitcher. Going into the draft, Irvin was ranked as the #195 player in the Baseball America draft rankings, and the #138 player in the MLB draft rankings. The Phils took him as the #137 pick in the draft.
Let's hope Moniak does some growing. Not too impressive yet for a #1 pick.

Anybody see the other night when the panned into the TV booth with McCarthy and Kruk. My God, McCarthy must be pushing 300 pounds, he is enormous. Made Kruk look skinny. He really needs to lose some serious weight.

Reactions: colt21
Let's hope Moniak does some growing. Not too impressive yet for a #1 pick.

he certainly hasn't been all that impressive. that said, he rates very highly on the BA and MLB rankings of Phillies prospects.

I think the Phils had bad luck, in that the 2016 draft didn't have any obvious, guaranteed, future all-stars. There have been a few articles I've seen where top scouts from other organizations were interviewed (no names, of course), and they all indicated that they had Moniak really high on their list, but that there wasn't a sure-fire top pick that year.

he certainly hasn't been all that impressive. that said, he rates very highly on the BA and MLB rankings of Phillies prospects.

I think the Phils had bad luck, in that the 2016 draft didn't have any obvious, guaranteed, future all-stars. There have been a few articles I've seen where top scouts from other organizations were interviewed (no names, of course), and they all indicated that they had Moniak really high on their list, but that there wasn't a sure-fire top pick that year.

The disappointment is that Moniak has not hit well. His power was always somewhat suspect but the thought was that he would be a solid and productive hitter with gap to gap. His low average has been surprising. I know he was happy to have struggled last year since he appreciated the work that is required and something he hasn’t been required to do previously. But some have to be shaking their heads a bit in the organization that the struggles have continued this year. The organization will always point to his age relative to others at the same level. They did that with Crawford all the time but at some point you can either hit or you can’t hit.

The disappointment is that Moniak has not hit well. His power was always somewhat suspect but the thought was that he would be a solid and productive hitter with gap to gap. His low average has been surprising. I know he was happy to have struggled last year since he appreciated the work that is required and something he hasn’t been required to do previously. But some have to be shaking their heads a bit in the organization that the struggles have continued this year. The organization will always point to his age relative to others at the same level. They did that with Crawford all the time but at some point you can either hit or you can’t hit.

Funny Moniak was brought up here, I was checking out his stats last night. Man does he strike out a lot. And his power numbers do not offset that yet. I know, he's very young.
We are lucky our international scouts have signed some insanely good pitchers. Our hitting prospects need to pick it up. Bohm CANNOT be a bust. De La Cruz in GCL has the size.

We are lucky our international scouts have signed some insanely good pitchers. Our hitting prospects need to pick it up. Bohm CANNOT be a bust. De La Cruz in GCL has the size.

I knew they were taking Bohm on draft night, I just knew it. He was the guy I DID NOT want. The Beaver kid was a hit machine but he is a tiny kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT