ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions, what's the #1 thing an OC brings to a staff

Good Lord you're such a loser - 32s name is Borland, and he's a LB dipshit. If you think duhO$U ending up matching-up a LB with Davonta Smith in the slot (off a clear match-up zone situation) isn't a clear win for the Bama OC over the duhO$U DC, you just proved, yet again, how football ignorant you are LMFAO.
But that’s not what you said. Do you even believe your own BS

Dude, it was the play design and formation that created the mismatch. Smith was going from the slot and Bama got the exact "match-up" they expected as Jones immediately recognized and exploited. Claiming duhO$U wanted to cover Davonta Smith with Borland, versus a CB because they thought Borland was a better match, is just a plain stupid thing to suggest - beyond stupid. So stupid, I'm done going back-and-forth with an idiot that suggests such nonsense.
Got the match up they expected.....exactly what I said. This was evident to anyone who watched OSU all year. Did very little 5 and 6 DB sets all year. No DL pressure thanks to the best OL talent in the nation also gave Jones the ability to survey the field.
Looking forward to Texas winning the NC, since it isn't talent but scheming genius that wins. Sarks just designs circles around other coaches........LOL....
Off the meds again?

thats not what you said. You said 'not a Individuals beating individuals.'. That was a guy just out running another guy!! Plain and simple. It was an Individual beating another individual. If 32 could run better, he picks off the pass!
Oh wow, never mind. You know literal Lee nothing about football.

If you don’t think the second play was designed to get Smith on a backer I’m not sure what to tell you.
The point is that it doesn't take a genius to get that match up when OSU has kept LBs on the field instead of DBs all year. To deny that Bama talent all over the field wasn't the dominant reason for the victory is silly.

Reactions: CJFisJoePaII
If you don’t think the second play was designed to get Smith on a backer I’m not sure what to tell you.
Oh it was but that’s not what Buschwood said. He said the rec were open because design “not a Individuals beating individuals”
That was a prime example of an individual beating an individual. In theory the play should be covered. They cover it in the pros every Sunday.

It’s not about the scheme it’s about Bushwood contradicting himself

Reactions: CJFisJoePaII

Exactly, this moron is such an irritating tool who knows nothing about high-level football but doesn't let that stop him from running his silly yap. I've said all over this thread that the play/formation design gave Bama hopeless mismatches that duhO$U clearly wasn't looking for (i.e., defensive breakdowns), but idiot-boy here says I never said that????

Exactly, this moron is such an irritating tool who knows nothing about high-level football but doesn't let that stop him from running his silly yap. I've said all over this thread that the play/formation design gave Bama hopeless mismatches that duhO$U clearly wasn't looking for (i.e., defensive breakdowns), but idiot-boy here says I never said that????
Huh ? You said it wasn’t about individual beating individuals? Now you say it is??

There is a guy named Dabo down south that seems to be doing pretty good, as well as Kirby Smart at GA that is doing well.
Sorry, I must have missed Dabo as a coordinator for Nick. When was that?

If MY turns around the QB and offense situation, he will be gone in 3 years.

If MY turns around the QB and offense situation, he will be gone in 3 years.

Probably, if he continues the success he's been having, he may well get HC offers - that's the nature of the beast, so what's your point?

The #1 thing the OC must bring is the ability to listen to the people on this board. If he does that..he is gold!

Jones is a really good example - for the season, he completed over 77% of his passes, threw 44 TDs and only 4 INTs. Jones was 36 of 45 (80%) for 464 yards, 5 TDs and 0 INTs against duhO$U!!!

Now Jones is not the "second coming" of Johnny U or something - those stats have a lot to do with the success of the OC's Playbook and schemes (including anticipating how the defense will react to formations and running the play off that formation that takes advantage of the defensive alignment just as you say). The loudmouth, know-nothings who say the OC, playbook and schemes make no real difference are utterly clueless.

Exactly, Saban and Sarkisian schooled Day and the OSU defensive coordinator with motion and scheme which enabled Devonta Smith to amass over 200 yards and 3 TDs in the first half. OSU had no answer to putting him in motion to stretch the field horizontally and then got burned when Bama matched hm up one on one with a safety who was hopelessly overmatched for a vertical TD. Said to my wife half way through the second quarter, gee do you think someone ought to tell OSU that Smith won the Heisman for a reason and that maybe they ought to double him and try to take him out of the game and take your chances with the other Bama players besting you? I can only imagine the number of posters on here who would be calling for Franklin to be fired if he coached like Day did in that game.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Exactly, Saban and Sarkisian schooled Day and the OSU defensive coordinator with motion and scheme which enabled Devonta Smith to amass over 200 yards and 3 TDs in the first half. OSU had no answer to putting him in motion to stretch the field horizontally and then got burned when Bama matched hm up one on one with a safety who was hopelessly overmatched for a vertical TD. Said to my wife half way through the second quarter, gee do you think someone ought to tell OSU that Smith won the Heisman for a reason and that maybe they ought to double him and try to take him out of the game and take your chances with the other Bama players besting you? I can only imagine the number of posters on here who would be calling for Franklin to be fired if he coached like Day did in that game.

Not just the one where they put a Safety on an Island (Jones went to that throw immediately upon seeing it - Smith was like 5 yards behind that Safety a moment after the play was snapped), but they also motioned Smith into the slot and duhO$U attempted to match-up a LB on him, #32 Borland!!! And you have idiot, know-nothings on this board that claim this is the match-up the duhO$U DC wanted, and not a clear on-field defensive breakdown/blunder???

Tempo. We need to run some tempo. The fake like we are going to snap it(never do initially), then we all back away and look to the sideline for 15 seconds. No motion, no nothing, then snap it and the play gets stuffed. It's beyond irritating. Run the offense faster, at least on occasion. Get to the line and snap it on occasion.
Aka what I like to call the meerkat offense. The players rely on the sideline to figure out what to do instead of having a QB that can fully run the offense without assistance. Top programs do this at times, but not to the extent we do. QBs at Bama, OSU, OU, Clemson just seem to go out and play confidently and fast with much more consistency. This is a problem we've had for a long time, including when JoMo was around. I'm not sure if it's a player skill issue, coaching philosophy, or both. I suspect it's a little bit of both.

Reactions: ram2020
The point is that it doesn't take a genius to get that match up when OSU has kept LBs on the field instead of DBs all year. To deny that Bama talent all over the field wasn't the dominant reason for the victory is silly.
Um, who’s making that case?

Oh it was but that’s not what Buschwood said. He said the rec were open because design “not a Individuals beating individuals”
That was a prime example of an individual beating an individual. In theory the play should be covered. They cover it in the pros every Sunday.

It’s not about the scheme it’s about Bushwood contradicting himself
I mean, you’re getting really nit picky. Of course at its core the play was successful because an individual beat another individual—that’s sports , in general, at its core.

Alabama designed that play to make a fast individual match up with a slow one. That’s scheming, recognizing tendencies and putting them in that position. They designed that into existence and Borland had 0 chance of being successful there.

If Smith got the ball, made three guys miss and carried another into the end zone with him sure, that’s an outstanding individual effort and isn’t being successful due to scheme—but that’s not what happened.

I mean, you’re getting really nit picky. Of course at its core the play was successful because an individual beat another individual—that’s sports , in general, at its core.

Alabama designed that play to make a fast individual match up with a slow one. That’s scheming, recognizing tendencies and putting them in that position. They designed that into existence and Borland had 0 chance of being successful there.

If Smith got the ball, made three guys miss and carried another into the end zone with him sure, that’s an outstanding individual effort and isn’t being successful due to scheme—but that’s not what happened.
You’re missing the point. I was responding to Bushwood, that’s all. Bushwood said individual match up had nothing to do with the play. You and I agree it had a lot to do with the play. I can’t figure the cart and horse in that play. When I saw it live I wondered if Alabama noticed OSU put the MLBer on #3, now did Alabama decide to put him inside to take advantage of that? Or did OSU notice that a RB was always the 3 and OSU felt the MLBer could run with him?

Reactions: Mr. Chim

Go look at my posts throughout this thread (including my OP) - it's what I've stated repeatedly.... Bama's OC's plays/schemes consistently beat duhO$U's DC's schemes (in an embarrassing fashion throughout the 1H). Suggesting that these match-ups were the ones duhO$U's DC was "looking for" is silly as anyone with decent knowledge of football understands - those matchups were caused by duhO$U's on-field defenders getting confused due to the alignment, motion, etc... duhO$U's DC would never - as in never ever - want Tuf Borland (a LB #32) on Devonta Smith. Ditto a Safety get isolated against Smith! The fact that these types of breakdowns happened repeatedly in the 1H demonstrates how thoroughly confused duhO$U's defense was.

Tempo. We need to run some tempo. The fake like we are going to snap it(never do initially), then we all back away and look to the sideline for 15 seconds. No motion, no nothing, then snap it and the play gets stuffed. It's beyond irritating. Run the offense faster, at least on occasion. Get to the line and snap it on occasion.
He occasionally runs Turbo. That's all the description you need.

There's been a lot of "shallow" discussions on here regarding CJF's motivations, and expectations, in hiring Mike Yurcich imho.

Much of the lack of substance in these conversations accrues to the fact that there has been no discussion as to what the most important element an OC brings to a staff... Is it position coaching, recruiting, "Playbook" (i.e., offensive schemes, philosophy...).

IMHO, the success of OC's at Bama and duhO$U (let's not forget that Ryan Day was hired by Urban Meyer as his OC in 2017 and one year later was named as the heir-apparent) suggests that the #1 thing the OC brings is an impact on the Offensive Playbook and schemes (actually JoeMo was good proof of this at PSU). Watch the films of Bama - their incredible passing success is not just great receivers - they had offensive schemes that put defenders in conclict... look how often Devonta Smith was running wide-open against duhO$U. He was not beating single-coverage on most of these plays, he was running free due to defensive breakdowns - IOW, Bama's OC's schemes beat duhO$U's DC's schemes.

Play design has a massive impact on the success of a play and all the "arm-chair Lombardis" on here who say it doesn't matter at all and the only thing that matters is who you line up at WR (or RB, etc...) are completely full of shit.

Beer & pretzel's!

Exactly ... even better he was a multiple position coach under Saban learns and makes him even better all around coach when he became OC and HC

Don't believe Swinney ever worked for Saban. Swinney was hired at Bama in 1993 by Gene Stallings and left in 2003 when he was hired at Clemson as an Assistant Coach (WR). So he worked for Stallings, DuBose and Franchione at Bama, but left for Clemson 4 years before Saban was hired.

There's also zero chance that duhO$U's DC ever wanted a Safety, let alone Tuf Borland, isolated on Devonta Smith. These are clear defensive breakdowns due to uncertainty as to what to do due to shifts, motion, etc... duhO$U's defense suffered repeated breakdowns and failures to make the proper adjustments to Bama's shifts, alignments and motion. One of the CBs on the field (actually duhO$U's best CB on the field) should have been matched against Smith.... - posters who don't recognize these situations as clear defensive breakdowns (i.e., they believe these are the coverages that duhO$U's DC wanted in that situation???) are just clueless.

There's also zero chance that duhO$U's DC ever wanted a Safety, let alone Tuf Borland, isolated on Devonta Smith. These are clear defensive breakdowns due to uncertainty as to what to do due to shifts, motion, etc... duhO$U's defense suffered repeated breakdowns and failures to make the proper adjustments to Bama's shifts, alignments and motion. One of the CBs on the field (actually duhO$U's best CB on the field) should have been matched against Smith.... - posters who don't recognize these situations as clear defensive breakdowns (i.e., they believe these are the coverages that duhO$U's DC wanted in that situation???) are just clueless.
Yeah the back on that play just stood around and covered no one like he was playing zone....or was spying on Fields. A major screw up by him or d design. Can’t blame the LB for trailing the Heisman winner down the field. Actually was impressed he stayed as close as he did.

Exactly ... even better he was a multiple position coach under Saban learns and makes him even better all around coach when he became OC and HC
Okay, so you are stupid. I asked" how many of Saban's COORDINATORS have won a NC. You replied Dabo. Do you want to again claim that is a correct answer or do you want to try to make it look like you knew you were wrong in the first place?

Yeah the back on that play just stood around and covered no one like he was playing zone....or was spying on Fields. A major screw up by him or d design. Can’t blame the LB for trailing the Heisman winner down the field. Actually was impressed he stayed as close as he did.

Not blaming Borland - not sure who on duhO$U's defense interfaces with the side and makes the call, but the failure resulted from duhO$U not identifying that Devonta Smith had moved to the slot after Bama motioned and shifted. The duhO$U defense should have made pre-snap adjustments in response to the shifts, but instead froze like a deer in the headlights after the shifts (i.e., duhO$U's defense made no adjustments whatsoever after the Bama motion and shifts - this is what clued Jones in to immediately go to Smith right of the LOS. Jones was like a kid in the candy store when he saw Borland was going to attempt to cover Smith... Jones never looked anywhere else and immediately went to Smith who was running 5 yards behind Borland by himself - TD!).

Not blaming Borland - not sure who on duhO$U's defense interfaces with the side and makes the call, but the failure resulted from duhO$U not identifying that Devonta Smith had moved to the slot after Bama motioned and shifted. The duhO$U defense should have made pre-snap adjustments in response to the shifts, but instead froze like a deer in the headlights after the shifts (i.e., duhO$U's defense made no adjustments whatsoever after the Bama motion and shifts - this is what clued Jones in to immediately go to Smith right of the LOS. Jones was like a kid in the candy store when he saw Borland was going to attempt to cover Smith... Jones never looked anywhere else and immediately went to Smith who was running 5 yards behind Borland by himself - TD!).
Watch again from behind at the 5:50 mark. A DB lines up straight up on Smith eight yards off the LoS. When they snap the ball, the DB backpedals five yards, drifts to the his right, and then just stops. Ends up no one within ten yards of him. Looks like he was playing zone coverage or expected deep help. But even if he got deep help he should still have covered Smith.

The linebacker came from inside to try to cover. No way was he going to cover that much distance and do the job. No way was that the assigned coverage. Blown coverage somehow.

Watch again from behind at the 5:50 mark. A DB lines up straight up on Smith eight yards off the LoS. When they snap the ball, the DB backpedals five yards, drifts to the his right, and then just stops. Ends up no one within ten yards of him. Looks like he was playing zone coverage or expected deep help. But even if he got deep help he should still have covered Smith.

The linebacker came from inside to try to cover. No way was he going to cover that much distance and do the job. No way was that the assigned coverage. Blown coverage somehow.

i think #24 for OSU their LC (or maybe hes a cover C, IDK) is out of position. I think OSU was playing cover 3 , 3 deep zones. 24 jumped the out to his side, he should probably have stayed deep. If he does, Alabama throws the ball right to him. I think the FS for OSU is way way too deep, heck at the snap he aligns 18 yds deep and drives deeper. Alabama merely throws the ball over the LBer and way in front of the FS. Heck if the FS plays it better, he picks it off. I think OSU might have told the MLBer in this coverage to just run with Smith and maybe become an extra guy on him. WE may never know without the huddle call.

Just rewatched it (it's played multiple times starting at the 5:25 mark of the embedded vid). A CB is lined up deep straight off Smith, who is in the slot on left-side of LOS. However, if you watch at the snap, you will see that the CB releases Smith immediately at LOS because Smith runs a straight "flag" pattern directly off the LOS - duhO$U's defense is clearly in a "match-up zone" coverage - a clear defensive breakdown and call in coverage, had zero chance of working as Jones clearly understood as soon as the ball was snapped and Smith went into his pattern and Borland immediately assumed responsibility for the inside flag pattern. It's pretty clear from the reactions of the duhO$U defense that they had absurdly called a match-up zone where Smith would have been covered by the CB lined up deep if he had run a straight fly, skinny post or skinny flag (i.e., to the left flag), but was insanely Borland's responsibility if he ran a full post or flag (i.e., toward right back flag of EZ). Bama must have seen something that led them to look for this inane defensive breakdown and Jones goes immediately to Smith exclusively as soon as he sees Borland jump on the flag route (and CB drift backward at the snap). Whoever made the defensive call blundered and was responsible for the defensive breakdown as Herbie immediately comments upon after the play as the play is run on replay - Borland had the "slot receiver" on that flag route, but given it was Smith he had zero chance of succeeding (i.e., defensive breakdown via an absurd defensive call) which is exactly what Herbie says on his breakdown of the play.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
The #1 thing I'd like to see the OC bring to the staff would be a coordination of the offense. Yeah, basically that would be it in a nutshell. Anything more would be gravy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT