ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, I admit it. I’m a man of mercy and I feel bad for....

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
.... the Pitt football players. After rewatching the game, it is very apparent how bad that team is, and how bad the coaching is.
That game on Saturday may have been the proverbial nail in Pitt football’s coffin.

As a man of mercy, I do feel bad for them. I think it hit all of their fans like a ton of bricks. They finally see what everyone else sees. Their football team is atrocious.

They really should have hired Tom Bradly.

I said on Saturday that that was one of the worst coached teams I had ever seen. Narduzzi had them so psyched out they played like they were afraid to make a mistake, which of course led to many mistakes. Combine that with their ho hum talent level and the weather and a good opponent and you get 51-6.

I have some level of mercy or feeling bad for how bad it's gotten for them. But it's for the little people, like whoever makes that nice season ticket packet that we all ripped one ticket out of and threw out. Or whoever planned that hall of fame thing that no one cared about.

There's something about the fact that nobody cares at all... it's just kind of sad.

F 'em though. Everyone who ever talked schmack and especially the gorilla-clown loser coach. They brought this all on themselves and anyone who wants to talk about karma needs to realize that 51-6 was the end result of bad karma, not the beginning of it.

It is all about their coaching...how in the world that fan base does not run off Pat narduzzi?? he is the most unlikeable guy I can recall coaching right now.
It is the snowball effect. The losing drives attendance down. The low attendance produces lower revenues, less excitement, napping in the stands.

You end up with a douche coach, whose antics drive the whole circle of despair. It is city college FB with a cascading set of detrimental factors. Replace the coach? With whom? You might try a young nobody, but it is a crapshoot regardless.

The disasters which produced modern Pitt FB are baked in the cake. Only 2 choices remain. Continue to shame your fine University with this nonsense, or acknowledge you have become Duquesne and play the same people they play.

Reactions: gslachta
I did feel bad, at times, for the players. But as I kept seeing the face mask tackles, I lost all respect for them. I do not understand why that type of play does not eject the player. They could have paralyzed. I guess the coaching staff is also responsible for letting that go on. But there is no way that type of playing should be allowed. I hope Sandy or James complains about this to proper authorities.

I did feel bad, at times, for the players. But as I kept seeing the face mask tackles, I lost all respect for them. I do not understand why that type of play does not eject the player. They could have paralyzed. I guess the coaching staff is also responsible for letting that go on. But there is no way that type of playing should be allowed. I hope Sandy or James complains about this to proper authorities.
Can you imagine the outcry if one of PSU players twisted Kenny Football's head like they did TM?

.... the Pitt football players. After rewatching the game, it is very apparent how bad that team is, and how bad the coaching is.
That game on Saturday may have been the proverbial nail in Pitt football’s coffin.

As a man of mercy, I do feel bad for them. I think it hit all of their fans like a ton of bricks. They finally see what everyone else sees. Their football team is atrocious.

and I said this after the 2016 season, kept Matt Canada and got rid of NoDnuzzi.

I was glad their punter couldn't catch a cold but afterwards I did feel sorry for him.
I remember Ficken and what he went through the first year and it wasn't even half as bad as the pitt punter.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
It is all about their coaching...how in the world that fan base does not run off Pat narduzzi?? he is the most unlikeable guy I can recall coaching right now.

Its really kind of strange its almost like some type of Stockholm Syndrome.
He (Narduzzi) says mean and nasty things about Franklin and Penn State so the troglodytes in the Lair are all in love with him. He has them captured. There are a few that see the Emperor's no clothes but are quickly shouted down, called nitters, trolls, and ped staters but his brainwashed few. Geez one could almost say its "cult like" with the Svangali like hold he has on them.

The best bet they would have at this point is look at the top ten recruiter list and attempt to swing for the fences. No respectable head coach is going there. Some assistant or even position coach that is making 500k to 750k that is a stud recruiter and could assemble similar minded people could honestly make them a decent program. Right now talent is needed for them much more than x's and o's.

No. No. No.

HCPN is the better X's and O's guy. Franklin can only recruit and can't win games without Moorhead and Barkley.

I did feel bad, at times, for the players. But as I kept seeing the face mask tackles, I lost all respect for them. I do not understand why that type of play does not eject the player. They could have paralyzed

Can you imagine the outcry if one of PSU players twisted Kenny Football's head like they did TM?
On The first face mask I yelled out "are they trying to injure our guys". My wife yelled at me louder "YES". Well she put me in my place.

Reactions: marshall23
In fairness, he’s pulled some rabbits out of the hat in the last few years. Wins v. Miami and Clemson come to mind. And they outplayed us, especially in the run game, in the first half. They just left a lot of points off the board. Part of that was coaching. Part was execution and part is the way the proverbial ball bounces sometimes.

I don’t like much I know of Narduzzi (most is because I’m a PSU fan) but the guy doesn’t have an easy job situation there. Yes, Pitt can and should be more significant that they are and he certainly isn't a top coach. But he’s far from the only thing holding them back said I suspect he’s more a symptom than the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing against the pitt players.* They are student-athletes who are trying to better themselves. All the best to them.

*I have no idea why bookser was on the field on Saturday night.

And they outplayed us, especially in the run game, in the first half.

That's not how I saw it. We shot ourselves in the foot and they got a couple of gifts from the refs. Pitt had two nice drives -- their TD drive to answer our TD and their missed FG drive. The second was the result of a long run.

Their missed 4th down opportunity was following a fumble on our end of the field. From that play on, Pitt couldn't even get a first down until the game was over.

We were moving the ball as well as they were, if not better. We drove and missed a FG. Then we drove from our 2 to their 31 -- and punted. It was at worst an evenly played first 25 minutes. Then we took over.

In fairness, he’s pulled some rabbits out of the hat in the last few years. Wins v. Miami and Clemsoncone to mind. And they outplayed us, especially in the run game, in the first half. They just left a lot of points off the board. Part of that was coaching. Part was execution and part is the way the proverbial ball bounces sometimes.

I don’t like much I know of Narduzzi (most is because I’m a PSU fan) but the guy doesn’t have an easy job situation there. Yes, Pitt can and should be more significant that they are and he certainly isn't a top coach. But he’s far from the only thing holding them back said I suspect he’s more a symptom than the cause.

I think he's (narduzzi) is getting waaayyyy too much credit for beating Miami. They were not a very good team last year and were incredibly over ranked. Now is that his fault no, but I wouldn't be ringing the bell with that win.

You are right in thats its not an "easy" job there. But IMO 75% of that is on narduzzi. He's the one thats going to the media and calling out other teams players ( a big no no in my book), Telling everyone that they are really good and will be playing in the ACC title game and continually worrying about Franklin and who we schedule.
I said the other day that He should charge Franklin rent for living in his head. James has him so psyched out now its not even funny. Basically his job would be 50% easier if he stopped worrying about Franklin, Penn State and the B1G and worry about Pitt his coaches and his recruiting.
Pitt shit the bed when the thought their bball team was on par with Duke and NC...it never was. They sacrificed their football team for it. So as the saying goes...they made their bed...
There's no reason Pitt shouldn't be a 7-8 win team every year with ANY bowl win. They get to that point consistently then maybe it woudn't be such a tough job. Its baby steps and for some reason the pitt people and narduzzi don't understand that and seeing the arrogance of narduzzi they and he never will.
After next year I don't give a rats ass what they do. I do know I don't want to play them again and I come from Western PA and no what the "rivalry" really meant in the 70's-80's. That ship sailed in the late 80's.

Last edited:

+100. They really need to look at this in the offseason. IMO its as bad if not worse than targeting especially when they look like they did against Trace, Hammler and Armani (the one that wasn't called) We should have had that int and the ball on their 20 yard line instead of our 1.

Reactions: step.eng69
I think he's (narduzzi) is getting waaayyyy too much credit for beating Miami. They were not a very good team last year and were incredibly over ranked. Now is that his fault no, but I wouldn't ringing the bell with that win.

You are right in thats its not an "easy" job there. But IMO 75% of that is on narduzzi. He's the one thats going to the media and calling out other teams players ( a big no no in my book), Telling everyone that they are really good and will be playing in the ACC title game and continuing worrying about Franklin and who we schedule.
I said the other day that He should charge Franklin rent for living in his head. James has him so psyched out now its not even funny. Basically his job would be 50% easier if he stopped worrying about Franklin, Penn State and the B1G and worry about Pitt his coaches and his recruiting.
Pitt shit the bed when the thought their bball team was on par with Duke and NC...it never was. They sacrificed their football team for it. So as the saying goes...they made their bed...
There's no reason Pitt shouldn't be a 7-8 win team every year with ANY bowl win. They get to that point consistently then maybe it woudn't be such a tough job. Its baby steps and for some reason the pitt people and narduzzi don't understand that and seeing the arrogance of narduzzi they and he never will.
After next year I don't give a rats ass what they do. I do know I don't want to play them again and I come from Western PA and no what the "rivalry" really meant in the 70's-80's. That ship sailed in the late 80's.

Well said. Pitt's hardcore supporters, however many there are, simply can't and won't acknowledge that even though they claim to be a "football school" for 80 years, they've been the picture of mediocrity save for an 8 year stretch in the late 70s/early 80s. 80 years of mediocrity. That's who they are. But they're entirely too prideful to acknowledge that and take, as you say, baby steps to try to rise above it. They can't see themselves for what they are so they can't take the steps necessary to help themselves. They are doomed to a wash, rinse, repeat football existence.

Reactions: BBrown
I think he's (narduzzi) is getting waaayyyy too much credit for beating Miami. They were not a very good team last year and were incredibly over ranked. Now is that his fault no, but I wouldn't ringing the bell with that win.

You are right in thats its not an "easy" job there. But IMO 75% of that is on narduzzi. He's the one thats going to the media and calling out other teams players ( a big no no in my book), Telling everyone that they are really good and will be playing in the ACC title game and continuing worrying about Franklin and who we schedule.
Don’t hold back, BBrown. Let it all out. ;-)

Miami was over-ranked. How about Clemson? I don’t think Franklin is that much in his head (although it is fun to ponder and I partially agree— but not due to some psychological warfare web Franklin is masterfully spinning). Playing us and hyping his games and team are good for his program. They're playing a bit. Don’t forget they (CFB coaches) are on stage when they say those things. I’m pretty sure they don’t.

Living here in Pittsburgh, I can attest to this. Thing is, he is being propped up big time by the sports media here.

I want nothing more than for Narduzzi to keep his job at Pitt so that next year he can come to State College and Franklin can whip his douchie ass up and down the field again. Then I want him to get fired by Pitt and get a HC gig in the B1G East so Franklin can continue to whip his ass up and down the field for as long as possible.

There is no limit to the number and severity of ass beatings Pat Narduzzi can take at the hands of James Franklin that would satisfy me. The guy is a total loser.

Don’t hold back, BBrown. Let it all out. ;-)

Miami was over-ranked. How about Clemson? I don’t think Franklin is that much in his head (although it is fun to ponder and I partially agree— but not due to some psychological warfare web Franklin is masterfully spinning). Playing us and hyping his games and team are good for his program. They're playing a bit. Don’t forget they (CFB coaches) are on stage when they say those things. I’m pretty sure they don’t.

I can rant with the best of them. LOL
Clemson was not and is not overrated. They and Dabo are very, very good.
We'll have to disagree about being in his head. You don't talk that much crap about someone who doesn't bother you.
Here's my thing about hyping teams and maybe @SJLuvsLions can set me straight.
But you don't take a team that you know isn't that good and start hyping them up to the media, fans and boosters. Saying how they are going to party like its 1999 in the locker room after the game and saying that they will be in the ACC title game. All that does, when the rubber meets the road, is piss off that fan base and probably have the players questioning the coaches sanity.
Its one thing to do it inside the locker room and keep it internal but you start writing checks your team can't cash and its a bad look. All that is JMO.
Its one of the reasons I trust Nate and Tim and Ryan more than most beat writers. I saw them being honest and truthful about the teams progress and recruiting.
All Chris Peak and Dokish do is pump sunshine and rainbows.
If you ask them today I bet they still both believe that their recruiting class from last year was a success and that this year is going swimmingly. When in reality that swimmer has an anchor and 2 cement blocks tied to their feet.

Its baby steps and for some reason the pitt people and narduzzi don't understand that and seeing the arrogance of narduzzi they and he never will.

James from State College is every bit as arrogant (maybe more?) as Narduzzi. The difference is James has the personality to manage that arrogance and turn it into a positive. James is extremely confident he can back up anything he says. And he very rarely, if ever, talks about the competition. He talks about himself and his team.

I get the feeling Narduzzi's arrogance comes from him trying to be like James, but he doesn't have enough self confidence to get the job done. He should wipe that smirk off his face, keep his mouth shut, stop talking about Penn State and get to work on fixing his own team's problems. (BBrown, I think you pretty much said the same thing).

What's going to happen when all their PSU season ticket holders show up for the Syracuse game on October 6th(we have a bye)? If you weren't forced into their season ticket package, you can buy them cheaper than a cup of coffee on StubHub. Whiteout Heinz for a quarter, skip the free beverage and take the mass exodus to the lots for tailgating on a beautiful autumn day. #H2P

Reactions: Madsol
What's going to happen when all their PSU season ticket holders show up for the Syracuse game on October 6th(we have a bye)? If you weren't forced into their season ticket package, you can buy them cheaper than a cup of coffee on StubHub. Whiteout Heinz for a quarter, skip the free beverage and take the mass exodus to the lots for tailgating on a beautiful autumn day. #H2P

Imagine if you could pull off something like that. At the end of the 1st quarter, a massive "We Are...Penn State" cheer goes off and then all of the white shirts stream towards the exit. That would rival the pictures of multiple sleeping fans for bad optics for Pitt football.

Reactions: richmin3
Kennywood Park is open from noon to midnight on Oct. 6. That's sounds like more fun than going to Heinz Field. Most Pitt fans would say the same. :)

It **MAY** get worse before it gets better. During the game they mentioned that there are (I believe it was) 15 5th-year seniors on the team.

With few to no 4+-star recruits the past few years they are trending downward at a rapid rate.

The best bet they would have at this point is look at the top ten recruiter list and attempt to swing for the fences. No respectable head coach is going there. Some assistant or even position coach that is making 500k to 750k that is a stud recruiter and could assemble similar minded people could honestly make them a decent program. Right now talent is needed for them much more than x's and o's.
I know a good recruiter who is out of work: Zach Smith!

Reactions: step.eng69
James from State College is every bit as arrogant (maybe more?) as Narduzzi. The difference is James has the personality to manage that arrogance and turn it into a positive. James is extremely confident he can back up anything he says. And he very rarely, if ever, talks about the competition. He talks about himself and his team.

I get the feeling Narduzzi's arrogance comes from him trying to be like James, but he doesn't have enough self confidence to get the job done. He should wipe that smirk off his face, keep his mouth shut, stop talking about Penn State and get to work on fixing his own team's problems. (BBrown, I think you pretty much said the same thing).

Natduzzi doesn’t strike me as one that accepts responsibility, Franklin does.

The other teams receivers push off. Their lineman are downfield before the ball is passed. Meanwhile he ought to look in the mirror at his team and work out the bad penalties and having more than one person who can place the ball for the kicker

Anytime you start feeling bad for them go over to the lair and look at the continued name calling of PSU. I guarantee that feeling will go away quickly.

I don't know if it's age, but I'm definitely getting softer in my old age (46). I despise their fan base with a passion (minus my parents and brothers), but I sometimes actually feel bad for the guy. At the end of the day he brings it all on himself and it appears that he simply can't help it. Their players don't seem like bad kids (maybe Bookser) and they don't act like punks so I really don't have a problem with them. Nardouchie is in way over his head and most likely won't be around in a few more years if he doesn't improve his recruiting. I couldn't believe how empty the stadium was after the half in a close game. Regardless of the weather that said a lot about their fan base.

People wrote us off for dead after the Michigan game in 2016. Pitt won’t turn their season around like that but one game does not kill a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT