ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Overhyped this year?

The reality is OSU falls into a category that a few other teams fall into this year-PSU included. Have enough talent to win the games you should, enough talent to win some you shouldn't, get a little luck here and there, have a good enough schedule to give perspective and context of a team's worth, and get hot at the right time. Same formula as nearly every team that won or was close to winning a National Championship.

Do those things often enough and you get the benefit of the doubt, aka hype.

I think the prognosticators are counting on it being in Columbus and still thinking last year's win in Happy Valley was a fluke. After rewatching the game, I actually think Ohio St got a bit lucky, especially early with turnovers and balls they put on the ground that bounced right to them.

I think O$U is slightly over-rated but Michigan is way over-rated. They will be shaky early and may not fully recover. UF is a likely loss. Air Force may catch them. Indiana, Minny, Maryland and Sparty could give them a run. PSU, O$U, and Wisky are likely losses. I think 4 losses is best case scenario, but a losing season is also possible.
If Florida is a likely loss for Michigan WHY does Vegas have Michigan as a favorite at a neutral site game?

If Florida is a likely loss for Michigan WHY does Vegas have Michigan as a favorite at a neutral site game?

Why did Michigan lose 3 of 4 games not played in the State of Michigan last year? Why did Michigan lose 3-5 games not played @home in the b1g $hithouse last year? Both of those items suggest that Michigan playing Florida outside of their home stadium is an extremely important factor regarding both Michigan's and Florida's chances in this game.

I keep seeing all the so called "experts" predicting Ohio State to beat Penn State and make the playoffs I just can't see it this year.

Ohio State basically lost their whole secondary and JT Barrett is pretty much trash in my opinion especially if he can't run the ball.

I can see Ohio State losing 3 games this year and I don't think they matchup wel against Penn State even though it's in Columbus

To me this all hinges on Kevin Wilson. The players are there but the QB stinks. If he can develop their passing game then the sky is the limit.

Why did Michigan lose 3 of 4 games not played in the State of Michigan last year? Why did Michigan lose 3-5 games not played @home in the b1g $hithouse last year? Both of those items suggest that Michigan playing Florida outside of their home stadium is an extremely important factor regarding both Michigan's and Florida's chances in this game.
All of these stats are correct and I even get why you would use them as a reason that Florida will beat Michigan. Having said that what was Florida record outside of the state of Florida last year?

To me this all hinges on Kevin Wilson. The players are there but the QB stinks. If he can develop their passing game then the sky is the limit.
Again, he is not a quarterback guru. His background is as an innovator of the spread and read option. He was one of the first coaches to develop it at Northwestern. Yes, he had two great dropback passers recently at Indiana, but their offense was not predicated on a pure passing scheme, like Washington State. He isn't going to come in and whisper to J.T. Barrett, if anything, his job is to advance their running game to help their passing game that way, rather than to install a 45 passes per game offense.

My only concern is the passing game. Will have to see what innovation Wilson can come up with. Defensively the secondary will be fine. Just tons of unproven talent back there. Remember in 2016 tOSU replaced 3/4 of the secondary as well.

Kind of a side note but I'm not concerned about the Oklahoma game at all.

This was a great post from an Ohio State fan. Dead last in pass defense through two games, they seem fine back there.

Reactions: Player2BNamedL8r
This was a great post from an Ohio State fan. Dead last in pass defense through two games, they seem fine back there.

tenor.gif

Guess I'll have to bump my own thread here

Going back and reading all the loudmouth duhO$U, "traditional b1g" bushleague fans that regularly infest this board was amusing. Funny how they told you that you didn't know what you were talking about well before the season began, but now they're nowhere to be found once it has been proven that you absolutely did know what you were talking about and made a spot-on prescient call (i.e., the diametric opposite of Herbie The Homer's endless duhO$U propaganda and diarrhea).

I remember when you made these posts - I also pointed out that PSU was returning virtually all their starters and 3-deep intact and to claim that the Defending Division and Conference Champion of the supposedly toughest Division in all of CFB returning virtually their entire 3-deep is not the favorite is absurd, but typical b1g bushleague, poor-sport "homerism" sadly typical of the "traditional b1g" bushleague types. Sadly, this was also proven true yet again - go figure.

I said before the season they will end up with 3 loses doesn't anybody read posts on here?

Yea Judge, but ask Herbie The Homer, errrr......I mean "expert", it's only because duhO$U has played the two best QBs and passing Offenses in College Football History in back-to-back weeks! I mean really, what's the chances? Just hard luck for duhO$U.....I still say they pass "The Eye Test" (and so do the pollsters - duhO$U is currently ranked #8 in front of 13 undefeated FBS teams in the polls!).

Oklahoma will be priority one for Ohio State. Their entire season will be under immense pressure, should they lose to Oklahoma.
Well, I had a feeling...

Also I just want to point out that Wilson isn't the innovator of the read option. That would be Rich Rodriquez back when he was the Offensive coordinator at Tulane and then Clemson when Bowden (the taller, skinner) one.

Then Rich Rod took it to WVU as we know.

The level of speed and physicality on the field for that tOSU-Oklahoma game was really impressive. Way higher than most college teams can field. My alma mater will never play at that level. But PSU.can play at that level. The game at the Horseshoe is gonna be a good one. Gawd, I hope the Lions win.

I keep seeing all the so called "experts" predicting Ohio State to beat Penn State and make the playoffs I just can't see it this year.

Ohio State basically lost their whole secondary and JT Barrett is pretty much trash in my opinion especially if he can't run the ball.

I can see Ohio State losing 3 games this year and I don't think they matchup wel against Penn State even though it's in Columbus

The only thing over hyped about tosu is their qb.

Maybe tOSU was overhyped, but maybe now they're underhyped. If they were a stock I'd be buying today.

They're a relatively young team, their level of raw athleticism is as high as anybody in the country. They got whipped by a really, really good Oklahoma team but I suspect they will get better fast, and beat Michigan and Penn State and win the B10 again this year. I say beat PSU because the game is at the Shoe and they just don't lose there twice in a season.

The one potential flaw in this, the one thing that would worry me as an Ohio State fan, is their O-line. They do not have the usual talent at OL and that is not something that gets fixed in a season (as Penn State knows). They had some recruiting busts over a couple of years and it is really hurting them. And it may be they're in need of an OL coaching change, just like Penn State was in need of a coaching change.

I hope Franklin keeps Limegrover really really happy because Urban Meyer may be calling offering a whole lot of money come November.

Reactions: psute
Absolutely overhyped. Not even remotely deserving of the #2 ranking to start the season.

Week 3. Relax.

But with that said, a quick look at Ohio State after two games reveals just about every box I had checked:

1. Kevin Wilson is not a quarterback whisperer, has not changed that offense, and has not improved that offense.
2. They are inexperienced in the secondary and I don't care if they are 10 star players, in the secondary experience matters.
3. They don't believe in Weber.
4. Outside of Baugh, they have no legit intermediate threat as go-to receivers.
5. They have a top 5 defensive line, still.

Week 3. Relax.

But with that said, a quick look at Ohio State after two games reveals just about every box I had checked:

1. Kevin Wilson is not a quarterback whisperer, has not changed that offense, and has not improved that offense.
2. They are inexperienced in the secondary and I don't care if they are 10 star players, in the secondary experience matters.
3. They don't believe in Weber.
4. Outside of Baugh, they have no legit intermediate threat as go-to receivers.
5. They have a top 5 defensive line, still.

Good post. They're definitely not built to come from behind. Barrett has lost his fastball over the years - he's not confident. At all. Seriously beginning to wonder if he might be permanently broken.

But that DL still makes them a very tough out for the other B1G contenders. They're going to harass Speight into mistakes by the bushel-load. Our OL's performance against Pittsburgh isn't nearly good enough for what we need against OSU.

Last edited:

Two glaring OSU flaws:

1 - They've lost too much talent in the secondary to keep plugging holes and it's finally caught up to them. Would figure their true freshmen find way into the lineup in coming weeks.

2 - Barrett has really not been the same QB since he broke his ankle. He's much less confident in the pocket and even when they do use his mobility, it's slow.... but OSU's stunning ineptitude at developing WRs has hurt just as bad. I'd have a hard time seeing most programs benching a 4 year starter for a RS freshman.....but they're probably in a bind either way. On one hand, sticking with Barrett means they offense is stymied indefinitely. On the other, you're throwing a freshman out there to try and get you back into a conference and playoff chase.

Good news for OSU is their schedule over next 4 games is Army, UNLV, @Rutgers and Maryland. If they're going to make a change anywhere in the secondary or at QB, there's a lot of reps to get acclimated.

Realize Mayfield played a hell of a game, in one of the toughest places to play.

Ohio St. will improve. They have a ton of young players. Hopefully McSorley and Barkley play a great game in the Shoe.

Barrett is way over rated. Heard one dope on the B1G network call him one of the greatest QBs in the history of the B1G (what a dope) during a season preview. Guy has trouble with his progression reads, which is something McSorley is very good at.

Good post. They're definitely not built to come from behind. Barrett has lost his fastball over the years - he's not confident.

But that DL still makes them a very tough out for the other B1G contenders. They're going to harass Speight into mistakes by the bushel-load. Our OL's performance against Pittsburgh isn't nearly good enough for what we need against OSU.

In regards to your 2nd paragraph, especially playing at home.... I've always felt this way, PSU is the favorite in the B1G East Division given that they are the Defending Champs and returning virtually their entire 3-Deep, but duhO$U will be a very difficult test at their place (just as PSU was for duhO$U in 2014, but something tells me the classless b1g cheaters won't go out of their way to make sure PSU wins like they did for duhO$U in 2014).

Secondary play is not about reps, its about years. Ohio State is too inexperienced in the secondary and if they put the kids in now, it won't make a difference until next season at the earliest. With that said, they will dominate their next three opponents up front and it won't matter. Ohio State is so good up front that they will win 9 games this year no matter what they do offensively or in the secondary on defense, but it WILL matter against PSU and Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT