ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Overhyped this year?

Patterson825

Jan 28, 2016
I keep seeing all the so called "experts" predicting Ohio State to beat Penn State and make the playoffs I just can't see it this year.

Ohio State basically lost their whole secondary and JT Barrett is pretty much trash in my opinion especially if he can't run the ball.

I can see Ohio State losing 3 games this year and I don't think they matchup wel against Penn State even though it's in Columbus

I keep seeing all the so called "experts" predicting Ohio State to beat Penn State and make the playoffs I just can't see it this year.

Ohio State basically lost their whole secondary and JT Barrett is pretty much trash in my opinion especially if he can't run the ball.

I can see Ohio State losing 3 games this year and I don't think they matchup wel against Penn State even though it's in Columbus
I think the prognosticators are counting on it being in Columbus and still thinking last year's win in Happy Valley was a fluke. After rewatching the game, I actually think Ohio St got a bit lucky, especially early with turnovers and balls they put on the ground that bounced right to them.

I think O$U is slightly over-rated but Michigan is way over-rated. They will be shaky early and may not fully recover. UF is a likely loss. Air Force may catch them. Indiana, Minny, Maryland and Sparty could give them a run. PSU, O$U, and Wisky are likely losses. I think 4 losses is best case scenario, but a losing season is also possible.

Agree on Barrett. He is certainly overhyped. Brutal throwing the ball.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Just browsed through the Phil Steele mag again, and he predicts Ohio State to be #1 in the nation in total defense this year. I don't follow closely enough to even know how that whole process works, but I am guessing the premise is, Ohio State has so much talent on defense, that the talent level overcomes the experience. While this is certainly possible, I am wondering out loud how often this is actually the case. Alabama seems to replace every year, so it would appear that the experts see Ohio State in the same light as Alabama.

Going simply on the off season activity of Meyer, however, it would appear his concern is on offense. He hired Wilson to run the offense, and his offense declined from the second half of last year, all the way to the finish.

I understand they have all the talent in the world, second only to Alabama, most likely, but it's difficult to surmise that losing all of those players from their back seven, won't affect them somehow. We'll see, perhaps they just reload and they go all the way with their defense, even though they have so little seasoning back there. The front four looks to be one of the best units in the nation, that's probably not up for debate.

They may win the B1G East --- we're their biggest competition but we have to play in Columbus and have a tougher schedule even excluding that game. But I think people tend to forget how OSU finished 2016.

These were 5 of their 7 games to finish 2016:

1) The loss to us - which was NOT a fluke. They were outplayed and couldn't do crap in terms of moving the ball consistently.

2) 4-point home win over Northwestern, helped by being +1 in turnovers, OSU outgained the Wildcats 431-406. An essentially even football game at home against a non-elite B1G team.

3) 17-16 road win against 3-9 Sparty. Dantonio, for some dumb reason, decided to go for 2 with 5:00 left in the game --- didn't get it. It could have gone to OT and who knows what happens then. MSU outgained OSU for the game 334-320 and OSU was again helped by being +1 in turnovers.

4) The 30-27 win over Michigan. Like the PSU game, OSU couldn't do crap in terms of consistent ball movement. But they, yet again, were fortunate in the turnover game. 16-yard interception return for the TD in the 1st half, Speight fumbled the ball inside the OSU 5 in the 3rd quarter. Michigan outplayed OSU but did a lot of shooting themselves in the foot (also a poorly coached game by Jim Harbaugh).

5) National semifinal against Clemson. Looked like Ohio State playing the New England Patriots.

The above is how they finished 2016. Nowhere near elite. JT Barrett is suspect.

They're still very good. There's always talent in Columbus. But they're also beatable. You can't say that overly often as regards OSU but I think it's true as regards 2017. Hopefully Franklin & the team can get it done.

Last edited:

Disagree. They are loaded with talent. Barrett should improve under their new O, Kevin Wilson (foremally HC @ Indiana). Their front seven on D are stout and fast. They always have talent in the secondary. Three losses? It would take an implosion or a few major injuries for 3 losses.

1) Ohio State's recruiting in a down year is still equal to or better to Penn State's recruiting at its very best. Ohio State is always going to have a roster packed with future NFL players who are playmakers and sometimes physically overwhelming. Like, for example, Nick Bosa, who is a better d-lineman than anyone on the PSU roster. And unfortunately tOSU has at least two other D-linemen of that caliber. They are loaded on D-line almost beyond belief.

2) Ohio State last year fielded one of the youngest teams in college FB. Younger even than PSU. They lost almost nobody to graduation. So of everybody in the B1G, they will show the biggest improvement from 2016 to 2017.

3) Urban Meyer has the offensive coordinator he wants. Kevin Wilson is a great coach and will have the same impact there that Moorhead had at PSU. Picture that Indiana offense that has given PSU fits in recent years. Now picture that Indiana offense with five-star receivers and an OL better than Penn State's and Barrett and a running back who is probably the 2nd best back in the conference after Barkley.

4) And now consider that Ohio State gets PSU at the Shoe this year.

I'm not saying PSU can't win. PSU can beat anybody. But the chips have to fall right and there is going to be absolutely no room for error. Penn State will be a very high priority for Urban Meyer this year, 2nd only to Michigan.

Reactions: 81b&w and PSU&Trout
Disagree. They are loaded with talent. Barrett should improve under their new O, Kevin Wilson (foremally HC @ Indiana). Their front seven on D are stout and fast. They always have talent in the secondary. Three losses? It would take an implosion or a few major injuries for 3 losses.

Why would Barrett improve in throwing the ball under Wilson? Because of Lagow? Was Lagow's success part and parcel of Wilson? When I watched Lagow, I see a great arm. I didn't equate his success to the Wilson system. In fact, Wilson is the basic innovator of the read option, correct? From the Zac Kustoc days at NW in the early 2000's? Is Wilson connected to any innovation in passing? From this angle, Ohio State's current problem is throwing the football. Yes, I see Wilson improving their running game, maybe, but passing? Hey, maybe stats say otherwise, I don't really know.

Oklahoma will be priority one for Ohio State. Their entire season will be under immense pressure, should they lose to Oklahoma.

Reactions: katchthis

They can easily lose to Oklahoma and Penn State not to mention Michigan or a random upset

They're good, but they'd be hyped a lot less if they had to play PSU in Happy Valley. I think a lot of people are assuming that an otherwise evenly matched game goes to the Buckeyes on the basis of home field advantage. We'll see.

It might matter, and it might not matter at all, but it should be noted that the game at Ohio State, is not a night game. Again, it may not matter at all.

1) Ohio State's recruiting in a down year is still equal to or better to Penn State's recruiting at its very best. Ohio State is always going to have a roster packed with future NFL players who are playmakers and sometimes physically overwhelming. Like, for example, Nick Bosa, who is a better d-lineman than anyone on the PSU roster. And unfortunately tOSU has at least two other D-linemen of that caliber. They are loaded on D-line almost beyond belief.

2) Ohio State last year fielded one of the youngest teams in college FB. Younger even than PSU. They lost almost nobody to graduation. So of everybody in the B1G, they will show the biggest improvement from 2016 to 2017.

3) Urban Meyer has the offensive coordinator he wants. Kevin Wilson is a great coach and will have the same impact there that Moorhead had at PSU. Picture that Indiana offense that has given PSU fits in recent years. Now picture that Indiana offense with five-star receivers and an OL better than Penn State's and Barrett and a running back who is probably the 2nd best back in the conference after Barkley.

4) And now consider that Ohio State gets PSU at the Shoe this year.

I'm not saying PSU can't win. PSU can beat anybody. But the chips have to fall right and there is going to be absolutely no room for error. Penn State will be a very high priority for Urban Meyer this year, 2nd only to Michigan.

This team that you say lost almost no one to graduation actually lost 7 players to the NFL including 3 first rounders. They even have 3 more guys that were undrafted in NFL camps. We can't help that they don't graduate but what shows up on the field is that they lost a lot of talent. In fact, the only B1G team that lost more talent is Michigan.

Yes, they have 4 and 5 stars 3 deep just waiting on their shot but a lot of these guys were bought recruits and likely care more about themselves than the team. That's why when Clemson got up on them, they mostly gave up.

I don't know, they have the talent but it is green and while their new OC is hyped, there are growing pains with implementing a new system. To me, they have a chance of taking a couple of lumps.

Indiana at night away in game 1 is a potential upset. Particularly when they may be looking ahead to Oklahoma the next week. Oklahoma will not be easy. We will be a tough task. Iowa away could be a pitfall and at Michigan to end the season may have given Michigan's youth enough time to put it together.

They could easily end with 3 regular season losses. I would guess 2, but as many as 5 teams seam like they could give them a loss regular season. Then in their bowl game, bought prospects might be looking to protect their draft status instead of winning a game.

They are most certainly NOT overhyped.

Well now I've two words for you: Kevin Wilson. As new OC Moorhead worked miracles for PSU. What pray tell makes you think the same cannot happen at tOSU? Look what Wilson accomplished with Indiana-caliber athletes. Add him to the witches brew at Oh-how-I-hate and lookout, no more anemic offense. Now drop your cocks and grab your socks because PSU @ tOSU will be one of the best games of the year.

Well now I've two words for you: Kevin Wilson. As new OC Moorhead worked miracles for PSU. What pray tell makes you think the same cannot happen at tOSU? Look what Wilson accomplished with Indiana-caliber athletes. Add him to the witches brew at Oh-how-I-hate and lookout, no more anemic offense. Now drop your cocks and grab your socks because PSU @ tOSU will be one of the best games of the year.

Agree...for the most part. tOSU is over rated on the national stage. I don't see them winning a national championship but who knows. But they are still the class of the B1G. We've got an excellent shot to beat them and they have a lot of holes to fill but it will take a heck of an effort on the road.

Kevin Wilson no doubt will be a improvement will be a improvement as OC.

Ohio State will be extremely inexperienced in secondary and JT Barrett is trash. If it becomes a scoring contest with any team Ohio State plays they will have trouble winning those games

I think the prognosticators are counting on it being in Columbus and still thinking last year's win in Happy Valley was a fluke. After rewatching the game, I actually think Ohio St got a bit lucky, especially early with turnovers and balls they put on the ground that bounced right to them.

I think O$U is slightly over-rated but Michigan is way over-rated. They will be shaky early and may not fully recover. UF is a likely loss. Air Force may catch them. Indiana, Minny, Maryland and Sparty could give them a run. PSU, O$U, and Wisky are likely losses. I think 4 losses is best case scenario, but a losing season is also possible.

Well as I have said, lets just beat them. Youth didn't hurt O$U last year, as they were one of the, if not youngest, teams in the country. Michigan has been recruiting lights out and we didn't exactly look solid against them last year. I think they lose 2-3 games this year, and hopefully one of those is to us ;)

Kevin Wilson no doubt will be a improvement will be a improvement as OC.

Ohio State will be extremely inexperienced in secondary and JT Barrett is trash. If it becomes a scoring contest with any team Ohio State plays they will have trouble winning those games

Their inexperienced secondary (one of the youngest in the country) was one of the best last year

Didn't Urbs already have the reputation of being an "Offensive Genius" and how he rose the ranks of college coaching? How he put Utah on the map? (Hit the link: Utah's Devastating Offense Proliferates and Evolves ).

What precisely makes you think that Wilson will do a better job with duhO$U's Offense than Urbs was already doing??? Maybe the talent isn't as good as their HS star-ratings.....or maybe many of them peaked in HS and just haven't gotten any better in college. duhO$U was arguablly BETTER last year than they are this year coming into the season and duhO$U was wildly over-rated last year as PSU proved in the regular-season and Clemson beyond question demonstrated in the Bull-c-Shit 4-Team Invitational Tournament (and the bull$hit 4-Team Invitational STRUCTURE fraudulently called a "CFB Playoff" was unquestionably put together by the BCS by the "BCS Presidential Advisory Committee" - don't believe me? Hit this link: BCS finalizes 4-team playoff structure ).

So again, duhO$U was proven to be WILDLY OVER-RATED by the biased, prick, "beauty pageant", "eye-test", corrupt @ssholes who nullified on-field REGULAR-SEASON CONFERENCE & POST-SEASON CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS to make their BcS "Selection"......the very definition of "over-hyped" and "over-rated" (i.e., when biased opinions radically depart from ON-FIELD RESULTS like those of duhO$U vs Clemson!). And again, last year's duhO$U team on paper was BETTER than 2017 duhO$U! (BTW, the diametric opposite is true for PSU - most expect 2017 PSU to be much improved relative to their 2016 B1G TEN CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM that registered most B1G Ten wins and the best overall B1G Record [9-1].....won their B1G Ten Division OVER duhO$U and the B1G Ten Championship both ON THE FIELD OF PLAY, but somehow were deemed not to be the best team and "the Champion of the Conference" by the bushleague B1G $hithole's corrupt "Commissioner" don't you know?).

Last edited:
OSU has been operating at a near historic level since Urbs got there. Eventually the run has to end.

Their o-line was bad in pass protection last year. If they can fix it, they should be better.

While their recruiting is top three in the country, I don't think they have enough potential NFL first rounders every year to just brush off the constant departure of underclassmen the way Bama does. A team like PSU that can stockpile high-end talent, give it experience, and keep it for four years can beat OSU.

Good squad. Tons of talent. Well coached. The results on the field have been pretty damn good since Meyer got there so while we may not like OSU...let's stop pretending that they haven't earned some of the hype.

My only concern is the passing game. Will have to see what innovation Wilson can come up with. Defensively the secondary will be fine. Just tons of unproven talent back there. Remember in 2016 tOSU replaced 3/4 of the secondary as well.

Kind of a side note but I'm not concerned about the Oklahoma game at all.

My only concern is the passing game. Will have to see what innovation Wilson can come up with. Defensively the secondary will be fine. Just tons of unproven talent back there. Remember in 2016 tOSU replaced 3/4 of the secondary as well.

Is your lack of concern regarding the Oklahoma game, or any of your other highly-biased, bull$hit declaration "supposed facts", somehow relevant to anything, let alone the topic at hand (duhO$U being even more over-rated and over-hyped this year than they were last year......and they were EXTREMELY over-rated and over-hyped last year as their B1G Regular Season performance and post-season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational" blowout 31-0 loss quite clearly demonstrate!). Last year's duhO$U team was BETTER on paper coming into the season than this year's duhO$U team and last year's duhO$U team proved to be WILDLY OVER-RATED on the ACTUAL FIELD OF PLAY in both the B1G Regular Season and in the Post-Season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational"! Simple logic and cognitive reasoning suggests that this year's duhO$U team is therefore even MORE WILDLY OVER-RATED than last year's PROVEN OVER-RATED duhO$U team!

BTW, and again, the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE is true for PSU when you apply OBJECTIVE LOGIC AND COGNITIVE REASONING -- PSU's 2017 team is light-years better on paper coming into the 2017 Season than the 2016 PSU B1G East Division & B1G Conference Champions as clearly demonstrated by their consensus pre-season rankings (PSU was unranked coming into last year, while they are ranked a Top 5 National Title Contender this year coming into the season).

But far be it from me to point out OBJECTIVE FACTS, logic and cognitive reasoning to a typically biased, poor-sport, poor-loser, ever-gauche, slackjaw, homer, "traditional b1g $hithole", duhO$U fan.

Last edited:
Is your lack of concern regarding the Oklahoma game, or any of your other highly-biased, bull$hit declaration "supposed facts", somehow relevant to anything, let alone the topic at hand (duhO$U being even more over-rated and over-hyped this year than they were last year......and they were EXTREMELY over-rated and over-hyped last year as their B1G Regular Season performance and post-season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational" blowout 31-0 loss quite clearly demonstrate! Last year's duhO$U team was BETTER on paper coming into the season than this year's duhO$U team and last year's duhO$U team proved to be WILDLY OVER-RATED on the ACTUAL FIELD OF PLAY in both the B1G Regular Season and in the Post-Season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational"! Simple logic and cognitive reasoning suggests that this year's duhO$U team is therefore even MORE WILDLY OVER-RATED than last year's PROVEN OVER-RATED duhO$U team!

BTW, and again, the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE is true for PSU when you apply OBJECTIVE LOGIC AND COGNITIVE REASONING -- PSU's 2017 team is light-years better on paper coming into the 2017 Season than the 2016 PSU B1G East Division & B1G Conference Champions as clearly demonstrated by their consensus pre-season rankings (PSU was unranked coming into last year, while they are ranked a Top 5 National Title Contender this year coming into the season).

But far be it from me to point out OBJECTIVE FACTS, logic and cognitive reasoning to a typically biased, poor-sport, poor-loser, ever-gauche, slackjaw, homer, "traditional b1g $hithole", duhO$U fan.

Sorry for your sub 90 IQ

you seem very defensive about tOSU. are you concerned?

Reactions: nittnee
so why are you so emotionally invested in some other board commenting tOSU is over rated? 10-2 won't cut it, BTW.

I'm not sure where you get that I'm getting worked up? All I said is the secondary is replacing three players who went on to the NFL and there are questions around the passing game. Additionally I mentioned that I'm not that worried about Oklahoma.

I then responded to some incoherent babble speak from a guy having an aneurism.

Sorry for your sub 90 IQ

Amusingly ironic, considering the source and your clear failure to distinguish between OBJECTIVE FACT (like actual on field results, championships, etc...) and typically biased, worthless, homer "opinion" in support of your argumentation and conclusions. The OBJECTIVE FACTS, including both regular-season B1G and post-season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational Tournament" ON-FIELD OBJECTIVE RESULTS, support a conclusion that duhO$U was wildly over-rated last year. Given that last year's duh-O$U team was BETTER than this year's duhO$U team on-paper coming into the season, but is still ranked roughly equivalent to last year's proven over-rated duhO$U team to start the 2017 season, objective intelligent parties outside of biased, slacked-jaw, homers-ville known as the "traditional b1g $hithole region" would conclude that this year's duhO$U team is even more over-rated than last year's proven beyond-question over-rated team. See that's how "logic" and "cognitive reasoning" based on ACTUAL OBJECTIVE INFORMATION actually works dip$hit.

@Obliviax example of an "emotionally invested" poster quoted below.

Amusingly ironic, considering the source and your clear failure to distinguish between OBJECTIVE FACT (like actual on field results, championships, etc...) and typically biased, worthless, homer "opinion" in support of your argumentation and conclusions. The OBJECTIVE FACTS, including both regular-season B1G and post-season "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational Tournament" ON-FIELD OBJECTIVE RESULTS, support a conclusion that duhO$U was wildly over-rated last year. Given that last year's duh-O$U team was BETTER than this year's duhO$U team on-paper coming into the season, but is still ranked roughly equivalent to last year's proven over-rated duhO$U team to start the 2017 season, objective intelligent parties outside of biased, slacked-jaw, homers-ville known as the "traditional b1g $hithole region" would conclude that this year's duhO$U team is even more over-rated than last year's proven beyond-question over-rated team. See that's how "logic" and "cognitive reasoning" based on ACTUAL OBJECTIVE INFORMATION actually works dip$hit.

I'm not sure where you get that I'm getting worked up? All I said is the secondary is replacing three players who went on to the NFL and there are questions around the passing game. Additionally I mentioned that I'm not that worried about Oklahoma.

I then responded to some incoherent babble speak from a guy having an aneurism.

Again, what does your OPINIONS about duhO$U's unproven secondary OR how worried you are about Oklahoma have to do with anything, let alone the topic being discussed here moron (whether duhO$U is over-rated this year relative to their ACTUAL OBJECTIVE on-field results in B1G Regular Season and the "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational Post-Season Tournament" last year and players they lost from that team)???

You've now spewed incoherent, worthless, non-objective, homer-babble OPINIONS to support your supposed "objective conclusion" for a second time and in keeping with the typical slack-jaw, "traditional b1g $hithole" moron you are, you ironically call others who cite ACTUAL OBJECTIVE FACTS ON THE MATTER BEING DISCUSSED "incoherent" - go figure, but you aren't a flaming troll on that opposing's team's "fan board", don't you know? You're an amusing typically gauche, slack-jaw, poor-loser, homer, b1g $hithole whiner - go figure!

Again, what does your OPINIONS about duhO$U's unproven secondary OR how worried you are about Oklahoma have to do with anything, let alone the topic being discussed here moron (whether duhO$U is over-rated this year relative to their ACTUAL OBJECTIVE on-field results in B1G Regular Season and the "Bc$ 4-Team Invitational Post-Season Tournament" and players they lost from that team)???

You've now spewed incoherent, worthless, non-objective, homer-babble OPINIONS to support your supposed "objective conclusion" for a second time and in keeping with the typical slack-jaw, "traditional b1g $hithole" moron you are, you ironically call others who cite ACTUAL OBJECTIVE FACTS ON THE MATTER BEING DISCUSSED "incoherent" - go figure, but you aren't a flaming troll on that opposing's team's "fan board", don't you know? You're an amusing typically gauche, slack-jaw, poor-loser, homer, b1g $hithole whiner - go figure!

you need help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT