ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Match - Video Review

Same here, but I just re-watched and 38 seconds of match time went by from the time Smith may (looked to me like he had the TD) have had a takedown and the action was stopped. No sign of the brick before that. However, if they had thrown the brick and the refs didn't see it wouldn't tOSU coaches be going nuts trying to call attention to the brick? 38 seconds is a long time.

From the rule book:

Rule 3 -- Conduct of Meets and Tournaments
Section 13. Mat-Side Video Review
Art. 9. Coach's Video Review Challenge.
d. If a coach would like to execute a video review challenge, the coach shall immediately throw the foam brick onto the mat away form the wrestling action. Throwing the foam brick officially signifies the coach would like to use a video review to challenge a referee's call on the mat and the request shall not be retracted. The referee will stop the match as quickly as possible, but only when no significant action is taking place, to either conduct the review or allow the third-party reviewer to conduct the review.

The BTN did not show when the brick was thrown. Perhaps Roar or others that were at the match can clarify that. However, as has been mentioned, there was a long scramble after when tOSU thought Smith may have had a TD, and in the end Hall came out of that with a TD. Per the above rules, it would have been a mistake to stop the match for the challenge while the dynamic scramble was taking place, as that was significant action. 38 seconds is a long gap between the possible TD by Smith and the TD by Hall, but the ref shouldn't have stopped the match during the scramble/TD, and it's also unclear when the brick was actually thrown.

Watch Verks legs, he isn't driving Jordan out for the last 4 feet or so of the circle...Both guys are completely in bounds with Verk attempting a mat return with a trip. Clearly not worth a 1pt stall call. Or at least that is what I see.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
To me its like the yanny/laurel thing. I watch one time and it seems like Verk pushing. Watch again, Jordan looks to be walking. Why? Because Verk wants to bring him down and Jordan doesn't want to go down. Two strong guys. It is BOTH of them....wrestling.

Can't argue the call. Its the way the ref saw it. Next time or another ref may have seen the opposite. Reminds me how valuable Nick Lee's attitude is. Immediately forget and move on. Wish I could have done that back in the day. Hopefully Verk does that.

Here it is, should be queued up to the right time.

I still see what I want to see, but point taken it’s a tough call either way. Hence my displeasure in the rule as is.

I agree tough call. I would have preferred the ref swallow the whistle, and let the two wrestlers settle it on the mat.

Watch Verks legs, he isn't driving Jordan out for the last 4 feet or so of the circle...Both guys are completely in bounds with Verk attempting a mat return with a trip. Clearly not worth a 1pt stall call. Or at least that is what I see.
This. I watched it twice. First watching only Jordan the entire way, never did he lean back into Verk. Second watching only Verk the entire way, when they approached 2 or 3 steps from out of bonds, he quit stepping, Verk drug his feet the last few steps.

Reactions: nappa
This. I watched it twice. First watching only Jordan the entire way, never did he lean back into Verk. Second watching only Verk the entire way, when they approached 2 or 3 steps from out of bonds, he quit stepping, Verk drug his feet the last few steps.
It's probably a good thing that tOSU got a win at that point or Ryan may have ended up committing suicide by over exposing himself to ultraviolet radiation.

Well since I am a bit bored at work today I will continue with one more post. If your feet are in front on your hips it is hard to drag anyone as opposed to if you have your hips in front of your feet you will easily drag someone. In the match Jordan had his feet in front on his hips which means it would be very difficult for him to drag anyone. Basically in this position they are going out because Verk once to go out.
If you have a significant other try this at home and you will see what I mean between the difference between having your feet behind your hips vs having them in front.

Well since I am a bit bored at work today I will continue with one more post. If your feet are in front on your hips it is hard to drag anyone as opposed to if you have your hips in front of your feet you will easily drag someone. In the match Jordan had his feet in front on his hips which means it would be very difficult for him to drag anyone. Basically in this position they are going out because Verk once to go out.
If you have a significant other try this at home and you will see what I mean between the difference between having your feet behind your hips vs having them in front.
Watch the video, you’ll see what we’re talking about.

Reactions: nappa
You're the first person I've seen here with that interpretation of what happened. Sure looked like Jordan ran/pulled Verk out to me, especially toward the end when Verk was setting up a mat return. Maybe it's just my homerism though. I feel the call in general illustrates some of the holes with the current stalling definition on the edge.
That's the way I saw it at the time, and then re-watching the match as well. It looked to me like Jordan was trying to run away from Verk and Verk had the choice of either letting him go, or running with him. If that was stalling according to the current rules, that needs to be changed. If anyone was stalling, I think it was Jordan intentionally going off the mat. Tough break for Verk as it could have cost him the match. But a great effort by Verk! Hats off to him. His gas tank seems to be better when he doesn't find out the day of the match that he has to make weight!!

Reactions: PSUbluTX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT