ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Iowa 2020 Game Thread

Franklin headed for five losses. Narduzzi says, "That's what I do!! Don't jack my style!!"

Having 18 playing DE in short yardage plays is insane. He ends up 4 yards deep in the end zone.
He tries hard and on 3rd and 15 get him in there but 3rd and one he gets blown up.

Reactions: psualt
You have to wonder why they bulked up Katshir when they had nothing at safety. For future reference...looking the juco route has never been good for PSU.

Reactions: FJ47
I think Franklin is done at the end of this season. But man oh man, this team is terrible. Why would any P5 Team invest in Franklin going forward?

Reactions: Storm at Sea
Tom talk me off ledge ... What is your thoughts on this coaching staff and players effort at this point?

not sure I can be of much help.

effort has been pretty good by the players. the execution has been pretty poor.

as for the coaches, with the pandemic, I haven't gotten much inside info this year, so I'm as baffled as most fans. I think the combo of multiple new coaches and a lack of spring ball really hurt. That said, they've had time to overcome those issues as the season progressed, and the results are shocking. There are reports that the staff feels the fans don't fully understand how much the combination of Journey and Caine being out, Micah opting out, and PF dealing with injuries has impacted the team. I think they have a bit of a point, but you have to move past those issues, and figure out a way to make things work with those that are able to play. The short passing game being utilized in today's game is a nice adjustment to the game plan. Alas, the play calling on 3rd and short and on 4th down is dumbfounding.

I do think CJF has earned the right to get a mulligan. That said, it's painful to watch.

Can the players ever respect their coach in the future after not winning a single game in one season?

You think running it up the middle against 10 guys is a good idea. Our back gets tackled as he takes the handoff. Unreal.

You have to wonder why they bulked up Katshir when they had nothing at safety. For future reference...looking the juco route has never been good for PSU.
The only thing I’ve seen is a bunch of wasted scholarships

When you look at our run-blocking schemes it just boggles the mind. On that failed 4th down run we pulled the right guard. On that failed 3rd down run, another play for short yardage, our left tackle just lets the defensive end go. Obviously he thought his assignment was a linebacker.

This has to be the most poorly coached offensive line in PSU history. This offense needs to be completely tossed and replaced with schemes that enable our linemen to understand who they are supposed to be blocking. I'm guessing that they don't block well because they're never sure of their assignment.

This has been going on for years. Enough already.
I noticed in OSU game we allowed the DE to go unblocked. The OT’s blocked down on the DT. It allowed the DE to head straight to the point of handoff. And more than once the DE arrived the same time the QB met RB. I’m blown away at the stupidity I’m watching on both sides of the ball.

I’ve been a staunch Franklin supporter. We are so fundamentally sound it’s scary. I don’t see how Franklin can or will turn this around next year. Reboot time. Especially if the knife incident proves true.

So what’s everyone doing for their remaining Saturday’s now thru March madness.

I’ve signed up for pottery classes and will begin to binge watch ‘The Crown’ in super slo-mo.

and Levis turns it over on the 1st play. He held the ball way too long. Way to destroy good field position.

Levis and Clifford perfect together. Two fumbles is enough for me.
Sooner or later Clifford will come back in.

I don’t see the Athletic Administration moving on from Franklin after this season, even after we go 0 - 9.
They recently signed him to a big contract and no other school is going to hire him. PSU can’t afford to buy him out, so we’re stuck with him.
So, get used to what we are seeing because this is now and the future of PSU football under James Franklin. The coaching staff is dysfunctional and will continue to be unstable from season to season. As a result, player development will continue to be bad. The recruiting will drop off significantly, although it is obvious that it doesn’t matter that much when you can’t even coach fundamentals. You could give this staff the best roster in the country and they would struggle to win a game.

I get all the extenuating circumstances with lost starters, new coaches, with covid exacerbating those issues. But it's hard to see any improvement 5 games in to the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT