ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Akron Game Thread ...

They do? In what way? There's a committee now that chooses the 4 playoff teams. What the writers, coaches, computers, and New York Times say means zero nowadays.
How do you think they (the committee) judges "quality wins"?

Great opener to get some rust off the engine. Hamilton dropped an early pass. Center snaps were disruptive several times and even in special teams which led to missed FG. That will tighten up. No idea why Barkley is returning kicks. Also saw Johnson and Charles on KO team. Did Cam Brown play? Miller looked good at LB. Chavis is a monster in the middle. Buchholz is a horse. Matos looks great, too. Overall not much to be critical of. sPitt will be destroyed next week.

Brown has a new number - 6 - and he played well I thought.

That interview was so rediculous. Let's have a deep conversation about your journey and relationship with your son while sitting in the stands and being interrupted by game action

How do you think they (the committee) judges "quality wins"?

Oh I don't know, maybe the team's record is a pretty good indicator, not what a bunch of writers or coaches think.

That Maryland win over Texas may look great today cuz of that number next to Texas's name but in November when the Horns are 5-4, it will just be a road win over a barely .500 team.

Oh I don't know, maybe the team's record is a pretty good indicator, not what a bunch of writers or coaches think.

That Maryland win over Texas may look great today cuz of that number next to Texas's name but in November when the Horns are 5-4, it will just be a road win over a barely .500 team.
See, that's where you're wrong. If Maryland was in the hunt for a playoff spot and they were a team the talking heads wanted in there, they would be getting credit for the win over a solid Texas club. Teams were getting credit last year for a win over ND. College football is all about perception and beating a ranked team is perceived differently than beating an unranked team. Michigan's win over Florida will be a huge plus for Michigan regardless of how Florida ends up because the "experts" want Michigan to be in the hunt. If Florida ends up with 5 wins and UM and PSU both have the same record at the end of the year, I guarantee UM's win over Florida will carry more weight than any of PSU's OOC wins because Florida was ranked at the time.

See, that's where you're wrong. If Maryland was in the hunt for a playoff spot and they were a team the talking heads wanted in there, they would be getting credit for the win over a solid Texas club. Teams were getting credit last year for a win over ND. College football is all about perception and beating a ranked team is perceived differently than beating an unranked team. Michigan's win over Florida will be a huge plus for Michigan regardless of how Florida ends up because the "experts" want Michigan to be in the hunt. If Florida ends up with 5 wins and UM and PSU both have the same record at the end of the year, I guarantee UM's win over Florida will carry more weight than any of PSU's OOC wins because Florida was ranked at the time.

You're confusing the media with the committee. Media isn't picking the playoff, they're just yammering on and on and on about who they want to be in.

You're confusing the media with the committee. Media isn't picking the playoff, they're just yammering on and on and on about who they want to be in.
And the committee is influenced by them, you can count on it.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT