ADVERTISEMENT

28-9 PSU Final - Cael Knows Wrestling (oh-high-ya match look ahead PC)

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
I loved JoePa, but Cael was THE best coaching hire of all time at PSU.......

It kind of reminded me of Franklin's comments about beating Pitt being no difference than beating Akron as Cael responded that his guys approach every match with the same intensity and effort to continue improving towards the B10 tourney and Nationals. But he later clarified that although the whole season, the conditioning, the practice, the individual improvements are all directed towards the B10 and Nationals, the team surely does look forward to the top matches as are coming up against oh-high-ya and Iowa and that as he put it, "the bigger the match, the more fun it is to wrestle great" ....

this may be the most dominating NCAA national team of all time. Penn State has won ten of the last 12 national championships. the next two dual meets are tOSU and Iowa (these two teams are the two that won national championships in those 12 years) so they'll be interesting.

regardless of this year's outcome, an amazing run.

Looking forward to my annual sense of revenge this evening. I just wish what we do on the wrestling mat we could occasionally do on the football field agin da Buckeyes.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
this may be the most dominating NCAA national team of all time. Penn State has won ten of the last 12 national championships. the next two dual meets are tOSU and Iowa (these two teams are the two that won national championships in those 12 years) so they'll be interesting.

regardless of this year's outcome, an amazing run.
Yep, I can't remember a team with no big holes in the lineup at at least 1 or 2 wt classes. This team's lowest ranked wrestler is Kasak at 149 at #12, and Kasak is a true freshman. And true freshmen that start and have success many times continue to get better and peak at Nationals. Even when PSU won I believe 5 individual titles in a row whatever year that was there were holes. But this year PSU does not have to win 4 individual titles to be team champs. Probably could win with 1 or 2 given that the team could also have 3 or 4 other finalists and semi-finalists. Or if the 1 seeds all come through and the team also gets some positive surprises PSU could set a team points record.

The remainder of the season should be lots of fun. But there is nothing more fun than the team going to Iowa and shutting up the Brand brothers and that should happen next weekend!!

Last edited:
Oh-high-ya lighter weights really came out strong and they could have easily won all 3 of the first 3 matches. Then #12 Kasak did a really good job at 149 against the #9 that set the tone for the remainder of the match.

125 thru 141 PSU guys need some more matches and seasoning before the B10's and Nationals...

To begin 165, Mesenbrink is Action Jackson. Wow he gets after it! He looks like Clark Kent with the glasses on, but when he takes the glasses off its a different look.....

Last edited:
I was a little surprised the way this match started with how their light weights came out. I thought Nagao got awfully lucky with the call at the end of that bout.
Yea, their light weights are really mature, strong and scrappy whereas a couple of PSU's light guys look like they haven't started to shave yet.

OSU really came to wrestle tonight. Their freshman behind Truax and then in 5 seconds pinning him was amazing.

Last edited:
Iowa is getting their clocks cleaned by UM, 20-3 thru 174

Does Iowa have some guys out hurt/sick? Or else how are they #2.....

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
tOSU is the 2nd best program right in 2024 and they are young. tOSU especially in the first 3 matches could have won all 3, but certainly should have won 2 as in my opinion there was a take down at 125 with time on the clock. tOSU will be a challenge for next number of years......this year if healthy at NCAAs we are a couple that would be an upset if they do not win the NCAAs and a few more an upset if they are not in the finals........ We have 10 wrestlers and maybe even more that are not wrestling this year that conceivably could make the semis.......which is crazy and speaks to the depth of the team.

Reactions: 19333lion
Oh-high-ya lighter weights really came out strong and they could have easily won all 3 of the first 3 matches. Then #12 Kasak did a really good job at 149 against the #9 that set the tone for the remainder of the match.

125 thru 141 PSU guys need some more matches and seasoning before the B10's and Nationals...

To begin 165, Mesenbrink is Action Jackson. Wow he gets after it! He looks like Clark Kent with the glasses on, but when he takes the glasses off it’s a different look.....
Not sure I understand the 125-141 comment. You understand 141 was 2 v 3 and still came out the winner? 133 Nagao coming off whatever virus hit him last week that has gone thru the team. 125? The comment is valid. Still…he remains undefeated. Good to have the eye opener in Feb.

Not sure I understand the 125-141 comment. You understand 141 was 2 v 3 and still came out the winner? 133 Nagao coming off whatever virus hit him last week that has gone thru the team. 125? The comment is valid. Still…he remains undefeated. Good to have the eye opener in Feb.
Regardless of the injuries or sickness, in Friday's matches the calls that went PSU's way that surely looked like OSU had a legit gripe helped PSU win 2 of the 3 first matches, in 125-141. Had the call went the other way PSU would have been in a hole team scoring wise. Yes, PSU would still have likely won the match, but those calls basically gave PSU the edge it needed in those matches.

When more healthy it may be a different story. But on Friday OSU had a legit chance to win the first 3 matches. And at this time of year seedings/rankings change frequently, and the first 2 OSU wrestlers were strong wrestlers regardless of their pre-match rankings.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Regardless of the injuries or sickness, in Friday's matches the calls that went PSU's way that surely looked like OSU had a legit gripe helped PSU win 2 of the 3 first matches, in 125-141. Had the call went the other way PSU would have been in a hole team scoring wise. Yes, PSU would still have likely won the match, but those calls basically gave PSU the edge it needed in those matches.

When more healthy it may be a different story. But on Friday OSU had a legit chance to win the first 3 matches. And at this time of year seedings/rankings change frequently, and the first 2 OSU wrestlers were strong wrestlers regardless of their pre-match rankings.
Not exactly relevant to the point you originally made. The outcomes may have had luck or otherwise but you said this:

“125 thru 141 PSU guys need some more matches and seasoning before the B10's and Nationals...”

Then 149 is smooth and great, basically. Bartlett certainly has seasoning and was in fact wrestling Mendez , his equal to be sure. His experience put him on top. Kasak at 149 can’t possibly be excluded from needing more seasoning as a true freshman and even have enough matches at 149 to have criteria for an allocation. Braeden, sure, he does need more. He’s a true Freshman too and needed another touchy match to iron out mistakes.

Nagao. He certainly didn’t look himself but I can agree that he needs some more work to find new attacks as other wrestlers have a little bit of a book on him.

I just thought it an interesting analysis for what occurred.

Didn't see the post match PC video posted. The audio is pretty poor though.

At the end Cael was asked about the kind of adjustments that they will work on to be ready for the quick start that OSU seemed to have and his response was "wrestling adjustments" which drew a laugh...

I was wondering at the lack of enthusiasm. Different venue or just a jaded fan base?
We patiently enjoy watching the duals and clap when points are scored. We erupt when a pin or upset occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT