ADVERTISEMENT

Official - Fields to tosu

Transfer rule has been mostly null and void for a minute. Tried to say it in another thread on Fields but the NCAA has become awfully permissive on waivers (take it from a UM fan...obviously we benfitted when they gave waivers to all the Ole Miss kids last spring) and they probably won’t want to touch one about a racially charged incident - no matter how tertiary to Fields real reason for transferring.
I often wonder how the NCAA and B1G would rule if a high-profile transferee selected PSU especially if it was a position of need.

Perhaps it's the cynic in me, but I think the "old rules" would be applied to PSU.

The can or worms being opened is basically free agency. Any dipSh!t can say the coach hurt his feelings or a fan called him a name....it's BS. Sadly there are dumb fans and idiotic coaches....doesn't mean you get a free pass. It was BS for UM as well. You want to play right away, go 1aa, if not...you sit out a year. There is a reason why this rule was in place for so long to avoid this BS.
Can’t argue any of that. Still, it seems to me a motivating factor of this shift to more permissive transfer enrovornment is in part the PR battle the NCAA is waging over the perception of how it treats revenue athletes relative to coaches, university administrators, Bowl game heads, etc.. The Ole Miss players’ lawyer (same guy Fields has hired iirc) basically won on it being “unfair” the coaches could move on but the athletes couldn’t. Right or wrong, the NCAA doesn’t want to fight many of these cases because it only shines a spotlight on Bowl execs making $1M, coaches making $9M in a year (talking explicitly about my guy, to be clear), strength coaches making $1M+, etc. ... and all of them being able to move freely.

So does he have to sit out a year?

If so, and Haskins leaves as expected, Martell will take over next year as the full time starter (RS Soph) and Fields sits out the year. So then in 2020, they open the QB competition back up between RS Jr Martell and Soph Fields?

Seems like it would cause some drama - if Martell has a great year next year, how could you honestly open up the competition? Then if Martell gets the nod for '20 and '21, Fields would only get one year as the starter. Which would pretty much emulate what would've happened at Georgia.

Justin Fields is at present not a good QB. He might be a great athlete at the college level, but he really hasn’t proven anything. The kid wants a guaranteed starting position without having to compete for a job, but he also wants to play big time football. Those two notions are mutually exclusive. Maybe he turns out to be a great college player, but I have my doubts it will be as a QB.

I often wonder how the NCAA and B1G would rule if a high-profile transferee selected PSU. Call me cynical, but I think the "old rules" would be applied to PSU.
I think the NCAA showed its hand when it gave a mass waiver to all seven or eight of those Ole Miss guys regardless of where they landed. It’s not going to restrict movement the way it used to - its a bad PR look for them these days (post-OBannon lawsuit).

Reactions: BBrown
If this NCAA rule forcing transfers to sit out a year were to be litigated would the athlete have a case? Any board lawyers with an opinion?

Can’t argue any of that. Still, it seems to me a motivating factor of this shift to more permissive transfer enrovornment is in part the PR battle the NCAA is waging over the perception of how it treats revenue athletes relative to coaches, university administrators, Bowl game heads, etc.. The Ole Miss players’ lawyer (same guy Fields has hired iirc) basically won on it being “unfair” the coaches could move on but the athletes couldn’t. Right or wrong, the NCAA doesn’t want to fight many of these cases because it only shines a spotlight on Bowl execs making $1M, coaches making $9M in a year (talking explicitly about my guy, to be clear), strength coaches making $1M+, etc. ... and all of them being able to move freely.

Spotlight is already on the NCAA and we'll know in 2-4 months what it exposes.

Reactions: Anison
What is the reasoning behind this requirement that a player has to sit out a year before they can play? I don't see how this rule benefits the student athlete. A normal college student can transfer to another college and is not restricted from participating in any activities. Coaches, who are adults, jump around all the time and don't have to sit out a year, so why should teenagers be punished?

I think one thing the sit out rule prevents is complete free agency. Without it recruiting will never end.

If players become Free Agents why recruit high school players at all? just pull in 20-25 upper-class players each year to replace the number of players leaving. If you can do it for a QB, do it for every position. And pay the best ones with great perks (clothes, cars, apartments) and cash money if necessary. I see no issues at all.

Spotlight is already on the NCAA and we'll know in 2-4 months what it exposes.
What do you make of Emmert saying there won’t be any ruling until after the NCAA tournament ends, Art?

Not suggesting that anyone should feel sorry for the schools but...a school is limited to 85 scholarships. When they offer, let's say a QB, they stop recruiting other QB's. They spend a year or two cultivating that kids talents. If that player can leave without sitting out a year, and it becomes an epidemic, in theory you need to have 7-8 QB's on the roster to account for the 2-3 you will lose each year. As is always the case, these types of "rules changes" have other unintended consequences.

So does he have to sit out a year?

If so, and Haskins leaves as expected, Martell will take over next year as the full time starter (RS Soph) and Fields sits out the year. So then in 2020, they open the QB competition back up between RS Jr Martell and Soph Fields?

Seems like it would cause some drama - if Martell has a great year next year, how could you honestly open up the competition? Then if Martell gets the nod for '20 and '21, Fields would only get one year as the starter. Which would pretty much emulate what would've happened at Georgia.

Could be Coach Day's first "real" Coaching challenge...

What do you make of Emmert saying there won’t be any ruling until after the NCAA tournament ends, Art?

Possible. I've heard as little as four months, which would put the decision in mid-February. But it's pretty clear from O'Bannon that Judge Wilken is scared of her own shadow, so she may just remain in hibernation until after the tournament.

Reactions: Anison

I just have 1 question. Were any of the players or recruits at MD allowed to transfer without having to sit out?
It seems to me that their situation was about 100x worse than Shea's at Ole Miss or Justin's at GA.

Transfer rule has been mostly null and void for a minute. Tried to say it in another thread on Fields but the NCAA has become awfully permissive on waivers (take it from a UM fan...obviously we benfitted when they gave waivers to all the Ole Miss kids last spring) and they probably won’t want to touch one about a racially charged incident - no matter how tertiary to Fields real reason for transferring.

while I think it is good for the BIG competition to have Fields transfer to tOSU, the waiver request does not seem to sit on any reasonable justification. IF this incident is the seminal event, and was so bad as to be traumatic, then he should have started the transfer process immediately. this looks a lot like a competitive reason for transfer.

i felt the NCAA should not have approved the Patterson waiver either, but that did have a modicum of logic.

if there is to be a sit a year system then waivers need to be extremely rare if ever given (i.e. a player gets cancer and cannot play a couple years then comes back = that feels justified). you cannot have a waiver system create "free agency". i am of the opinion that every team should get 25 scholarships a year and they are 4 year commitments or until graduation, whichever comes first - even if the player cannot play. then each team should get to have 100 players on scholarship. if you run a player off the team then you lost his scholarship. i am old school on this and do not want to see CFB turn into the NFL.

Reactions: AvgPennStateFan
If players become Free Agents why recruit high school players at all? just pull in 20-25 upper-class players each year to replace the number of players leaving. If you can do it for a QB, do it for every position. And pay the best ones with great perks (clothes, cars, apartments) and cash money if necessary. I see no issues at all.

In a nutshell, then, allow the SEC (especially Alabama) model to apply to all conferences and schools. In some respects I might be supportive of that as it would, theoretically, level the playing field.

I remember going to visit a friend playing at Rutgers in the early 90s. We went by the football field and there was their shiny new former high school all American QB transfer from Miami, Bryan Fortay. He was out there with a couple of guys throwing some passes. First pass was a 15 yard out that fluttered and fell about 3 yards short of the receiver. My friend looked at me and gave a little eyebrow raise. I made some comment and he told me to just keep watching. His next 5 or so passes did the exact same thing. I asked my friend about it and he said, “That’s it. He’s got no arm.”
Point being, high school hype is great. It means nothing in college until you do it on the college football field. We’ll see what this kid becomes, if anything, at the college level.

Last edited:
I just have 1 question. Were any of the players or recruits at MD allowed to transfer without having to sit out?
It seems to me that their situation was about 100x worse than Shea's at Ole Miss or Justin's at GA.

No, there were no sanctions against Maryland.

Doesn't say much for the atmosphere at Georgia, but they'll get a top 5 recruiting class anyway. It does say, " i don't think your good enough" to the OSU backups.

Reminiscent of the Jeff George days.

If common sense prevailed.. there would be no waiver granted. GA did everything right to ensure they weren't cultivating a racially tense environment, the bball player who made the comment was immediately kicked off the team. If the ncaa grants this waiver they are obstensively agreeing that GA has a campus wide issue. Could serve as basis for future lawsuits from disgruntled athletes. Assuming of course there really isn't a problem here and that JFields is really just using this as an excuse to solve a football problem..

So if a black Psu basketball player called Freirmuth a Hunkie he could transfer to any DI school and play without sitting out?

Bingo.

The malleable "justifications" that come from fan bases are just so damn amusing.

FWIW: wrt Maryland

TTBOMK, Maryland granted releases to all of the incoming recruiting class (in the Durkin fallout). The kids who woulda' been incoming freshmen for 2018.
As far as I know, only one kid opted out (a kid who decided to enroll at Rutgers). After initially being ruled as subject to the "one-year sit out" rule by the NCAA, he petitioned for immediate eligibility at RU since he had yet to play at Maryland.... and, IIRC, was eligible to play last year at RU.

But that DID NOT apply to current members of the Maryland program.
TTBOMK none of those guys were granted permission for free transfers from either UMd or the "The Kids Come First" NCAA.

If any of Maryland's desirable players HAD decided to transfer to Alabama / Michigan / OSU etc? (assuming they would have wanted/need them).
Who knows what woulda' happened vav eligibility?

(LOL, who are we kidding... we all know :) )

Thanks, I didn’t even know that about their recruiting class. LOL

Doesn't say much for the atmosphere at Georgia, but they'll get a top 5 recruiting class anyway. It does say, " i don't think your good enough" to the OSU backups.

Reminiscent of the Jeff George days.

Assuming Haskins is leaving, OSU was looking for a QB transfer regardless. They have Martell who has never started. Baldwin who will be a redshirt freshman next year and sat out this season recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in his high school championship. They had a 4 star commit coming in but would still want a more experienced back up. When the qb decommitted becasue of the Fields rumors, they definitely needed a transfer qb, Fields or another.

The rule might have been put in to bring some stability to the rosters. I'm sure most coaches would like the rule, especially those who recruit well. The irony here is that Ohio State recruits with the best of them and still wants to benefit from transfers. If Martell transfers, does he have to sit a tear?

I haven't heard one "qualified" individual, either press or football insider say that they don't think this waiver will be granted. It's going to happen. He'll need to compete for a job at OSU, he won't be guaranteed anything. It will work out about as poorly as all of the other similar situations. If Ohio State wants him, they can have him.

Assuming Haskins is leaving, OSU was looking for a QB transfer regardless. They have Martell who has never started. Baldwin who will be a redshirt freshman next year and sat out this season recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in his high school championship. They had a 4 star commit coming in but would still want a more experienced back up. When the qb decommitted becasue of the Fields rumors, they definitely needed a transfer qb, Fields or another.

Why not do what everybody else does, recruit one. So if Franklin loses a position recruit in recruiting should he make ( calls ) to disgruntled backup from other teams.

And, all along, I thought Martel was happy with his stint with the Washington Sentinels. These guys are never happy! :)

He will meet him before the ball is even snapped.
Back in my hs playing days, I was not above a full "follow-thru" when I jumped offside, sometimes including a jostle of the qb:eek:

Who cares about OSU, we have are own problems right here. We have an offense that is stagnant, a st that’s stinks an a offensive line that’s going backwards. We have plenty of problems right here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT