ADVERTISEMENT

Official - Fields to tosu

Thoughts?

Tate meeting Justin...
giphy.gif

Reactions: PSU_1991
I can't imagine, even if he gets a waiver, that he would be the day 1 starter there, no? He has a lot of work to do based on what he showed at Georgia.

So they will lose Tate Martell then, big deal. Perhaps Martell is better anyway.

So does he have to sit out a year?

If so, and Haskins leaves as expected, Martell will take over next year as the full time starter (RS Soph) and Fields sits out the year. So then in 2020, they open the QB competition back up between RS Jr Martell and Soph Fields?

Seems like it would cause some drama - if Martell has a great year next year, how could you honestly open up the competition? Then if Martell gets the nod for '20 and '21, Fields would only get one year as the starter. Which would pretty much emulate what would've happened at Georgia.

Speculation is that a waiver will be sought on grounds related to this incident.
The NCAA cannot grant this IMO...these aren't little kids and name calling is not grounds for a free transfer. Bottom line is he saw he wasn't going to start and jumped....screw him and make him sit. If he gets to play, then the transfer rule is pretty much null and void.

Last edited:
The NCAA cannot grant this IMO...these aren't little kids and name calling is grounds for a free transfer. Bottom line is he saw he wasn't going to start and jumped....screw him and make him sit. If he gets to play, then the transfer rule is pretty much null and void.
I agree with you.

That said, seems to me that Georgia would have to contest his waiver request, which, given our current political climate and the nature of this incident, they may simply choose not to do.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
But, he doesn't make OSU significantly better than they already are.
My son said Martell tweeted in the last week or so regarding Fields transfer. Can't recall the exact wording, but Martell didn't seem happy about someone walking in and being heralded as the next great ohowIhate Q without putting in any time.

I agree with you.

That said, seems to me that Georgia would have to contest his waiver request, which, given our current political climate and the nature of this incident, they may simply choose not to do.
This^^^
And, it will be interesting to hear the ohowIhate fans justify this when many around me here in NW Ohio were upset at Harbaugh's free agency dealings.

OL

Reactions: N&B4PSU
The NCAA cannot grant this IMO...these aren't little kids and name calling is not grounds for a free transfer. Bottom line is he saw he wasn't going to start and jumped....screw him and make him sit. If he gets to play, then the transfer rule is pretty much null and void.

Its OHIO STATE, they can and they will.

Transfer rule has been mostly null and void for a minute. Tried to say it in another thread on Fields but the NCAA has become awfully permissive on waivers (take it from a UM fan...obviously we benfitted when they gave waivers to all the Ole Miss kids last spring) and they probably won’t want to touch one about a racially charged incident - no matter how tertiary to Fields real reason for transferring.

Transfer rule has been mostly null and void for a minute. Tried to say it in another thread on Fields but the NCAA has become awfully permissive on waivers (take it from a UM fan...obviously we benfitted when they gave waivers to all the Ole Miss kids last spring) and they probably won’t want to touch one about a racially charged incident - no matter how tertiary to Fields real reason for transferring.

The can or worms being opened is basically free agency. Any dipSh!t can say the coach hurt his feelings or a fan called him a name....it's BS. Sadly there are dumb fans and idiotic coaches....doesn't mean you get a free pass. It was BS for UM as well. You want to play right away, go 1aa, if not...you sit out a year. There is a reason why this rule was in place for so long to avoid this BS.

Nothing like seeking that bastion of enlightenment that is ahia to extricate himself from racially charged incidents. :rolleyes:

These moves don't worry me and rarely do they work out.....why, you may ask.....

Because being good in the athletic world requires one to have a ton of grit and not look to run at the first sign of adversity. Look at Haskins....he could have cried and pouted because Urb kept running no arm Barrett out there but he didn't, he stayed and ended up breaking records this year and now will become a top 10 pick.

Lets wait 365 days from now and do a comparison on the following QB's:

Stevens (could have transferred but didn't)
Wimbush (will transfer)
Fields (transfer to OSU)

I am willing to bet that Stevens has the better year of the 3.

The can or worms being opened is basically free agency. Any dipSh!t can say the coach hurt his feelings or a fan called him a name....it's BS. Sadly there are dumb fans and idiotic coaches....doesn't mean you get a free pass. It was BS for UM as well. You want to play right away, go 1aa, if not...you sit out a year. There is a reason why this rule was in place for so long to avoid this BS.

Totally agree. I do think a player should be allowed to transfer a) without approval from the losing coach/school, and b) not lose a year of eligibility. But, he should sit a year. If they remove the rule completely, every coach for every program is going to have to not only recruit new players, but re-recruit everyone already on the team. I also believe waivers should be granted to players (and LOIs) whose original head coach leaves, or for some other verifiable hardship (family illness/situation, etc.).

As it should be. Stupid rule. While they are at it, they can get rid of the redshirt rule. Just give the players 5 years to play.

Totally agree. I do think a player should be allowed to transfer a) without approval from the losing coach/school, and b) not lose a year of eligibility. But, he should sit a year. If they remove the rule completely, every coach for every program is going to have to not only recruit new players, but re-recruit everyone already on the team. I also believe waivers should be granted to players (and LOIs) whose original head coach leaves, or for some other verifiable hardship (family illness/situation, etc.).
Totally agree about the recruits and the LOI...look at Temple. Crock of S**t,,,WVa as well. Let's put it like this, if Fields won the job this year...he wouldn't be transferring, that is the real bottom line. If they grant him PT this year because he had his feelings hurt, just scrap the GD rule and have free agency every year. You cannot have it both ways.

What is the reasoning behind this requirement that a player has to sit out a year before they can play? I don't see how this rule benefits the student athlete. A normal college student can transfer to another college and is not restricted from participating in any activities. Coaches, who are adults, jump around all the time and don't have to sit out a year, so why should teenagers be punished?

What is the reasoning behind this requirement that a player has to sit out a year before they can play? I don't see how this rule benefits the student athlete. A normal college student can transfer to another college and is not restricted from participating in any activities. Coaches, who are adults, jump around all the time and don't have to sit out a year, so why should teenagers be punished?

I think it falls under not wanting college sports to have free agency for the student athlete. Maybe the new thing will be contracts for student athletes with 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 year deals.....

Reactions: BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT