ADVERTISEMENT

NJ High School hoops controversy

Not sure if this has been posted yet but almost every school now has what is called a Hudl Focus camera. Originally these were used only for game film purposes. But with Covid they became a streaming platform. As a coach you take the film and submit it to Hudl after your game and they stat it for you. You can then swap film with other teams.

About a month ago I got an email to use a Beta version that would allow instant playback. So the ability to use 1 reliable camera for replay purpose is coming. That said I've been in gyms as the road team and had to show the scoreboard operator how to use the scoreboard.

Not sure the NFHS will be adding it anytime soon but it could.
Oh, it’s coming, not everybody uses hudl, as a matter fact, I think they are losing schools because they are so expensive, but the company we use, vid swap, has it as well

Oh, it’s coming, not everybody uses hudl, as a matter fact, I think they are losing schools because they are so expensive, but the company we use, vid swap, has it as well
Does vid swap do the samething?

Have you ever used the homecourt app for shot tracking in practice? I met the founder a few years back...im surprised he hasnt developed anything like hudl yet

Have you ever used the homecourt app for shot tracking in practice? I met the founder a few years back...im surprised he hasnt developed anything like hudl yet
Hudl has cornered the market at the high school level in my area. Complete stats in hours ( some mistakes but not many). Easy to break down games and practices with clips. Make player highlights for colleges in a short amount of time. Makes scouting easy. It also synchs with MaxPreps.

I’m not currently coaching basketball, but I can ask our head coach. I stopped after Covid, as easier to coach baseball in the spring. You don’t miss two holidays.

Hudl has cornered the market at the high school level in my area. Complete stats in hours ( some mistakes but not many). Easy to break down games and practices with clips. Make player highlights for colleges in a short amount of time. Makes scouting easy. It also synchs with MaxPreps.
Hudl is everywhere here too. Some dont have the built in camera but of our 11 road games we only had to use our ipad 3 times.

The max prep sync was great

Horrible situation, but one that unfortunately can't be fixed by any way other than Camden voluntarily dropping out (and few, if any, schools would ever do that). Feel awful for both the losing team and the referees.
Well, one referee got the call right. How in the world could a representative insert themselves into the situation and change the correct call? Something crooked is going on.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Well, one referee got the call right. How in the world could a representative insert themselves into the situation and change the correct call? Something crooked is going on.
No representatives did insert themselves and change the correct call…the reporting on that is false.

I believe the FG was the same year as the interception that they couldn't overturn because replay was malfunctioning. Don't know if it was 2014, but pretty sure it was both in the same game.
No representatives did insert themselves and change the correct call…the reporting on that is false.
Well if that's true, then we're all discussing this for no reason! So the kid never got the shot off before time expired. Nothing to see here.

There's big money in fixing high school games!

I'd say my guess is likely better, because I've officiated high level games (though not basketball), and have blown calls. And with the few that I could go back and watch on video, I wondered what the hell I missed (or watched partners blow calls and try to figure how they hell they missed it). It had nothing to do with money, cheerleaders, space lasers, etc, it's simply that officials are human, and sometimes humans miss calls. That call might be "incredibly easy" in an empty gym or with nothing on the line. In a packed gym, with screaming crowds and a lot of pressure, it's not always as easy as it is from the couch.
We are blessed with guests here who can officiate and coach at an incredibly high level from their family rooms.

Here is a good view of it all...tell me, was the NJSIAA rep (the guy in the lighter blue sweatshirt) "huddling up with the officials", as was reported? And did these officials "leave the court"? Really, they handled everything correctly here from a mechanics standpoint...they simply blew the call.

Looks to me like the opposing coach grabs the ref as he’s walking off the court and that is where the problem starts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT