ADVERTISEMENT

NJ High School hoops controversy

OKLionFan

Dec 18, 2021

Precedent says this likely goes nowhere, and as bad as I feel for the kids involved, this is a can of worms you don’t ever want to open. Thoughts?

Precedent says this likely goes nowhere, and as bad as I feel for the kids involved, this is a can of worms you don’t ever want to open. Thoughts?
"But NJSIAA denied the protest, invoking association rules that prohibit the use of video or audio recordings to challenge the decision of a game official and forbid protests based on game officials’ judgment."

Reactions: bison13
Horrible situation, but one that unfortunately can't be fixed by any way other than Camden voluntarily dropping out (and few, if any, schools would ever do that). Feel awful for both the losing team and the referees.

Reactions: OKLionFan
Instant replay to be initiated for all HS sports from grades K-12...

/s

This sounds about as bad as the bounce pass that Ohio State TE cradled off the rebound that, even with instant replay, was deemed a reception. But I digress.

Instant replay to be initiated for all HS sports from grades K-12...

/s

This sounds about as bad as the bounce pass that Ohio State TE cradled off the rebound that, even with instant replay, was deemed a reception. But I digress.
pretty ballsey for those refs to change the call after that celebration and with no video to go to (with one ref calling the shot good in real time).

I work for Section IX Athletics in NYSPHSAA. A section in NY is equal to a district in the PIAA.
Earlier this year I had a team in my league lose a game when a basket in regulation was not counted by the home team's person doing the score book. The visiting coach addressed the situation at the first stoppage of play, the officials checked both books....and as is the custom declared the home book as official. The game ended in a tie and the team that should have won in regulation by 2 points, lost in triple overtime. There was of course, video evidence that the basket was not recoded.
I spoke to the Officials organization and their response was identical to the New Jersey situation. National Federation rules do not allow for a protest. Once the officials leave the confines of the court the results are final.
In the NYSPHSAA we do have a provision in the state semis and finals for a video review at the buzzer. But at no other time is video review permitted. High schools are not equipped to deal with replay.

pretty ballsey for those refs to change the call after that celebration and with no video to go to (with one ref calling the shot good in real time).
Just a guess....but having some experience with how these things can unfold....I'm thinking 2 officials had to feel the basket should be disallowed....perhaps the 3rd vote/ opinion, came from the asst. director of the NYSIAA who was in attendance and was part of the huddle. Unfortunately, the 3rd official, who made the correct call was likely convinced he was in wrong.

Just a guess....but having some experience with how these things can unfold....I'm thinking 2 officials had to feel the basket should be disallowed....perhaps the 3rd vote/ opinion, came from the asst. director of the NYSIAA who was in attendance and was part of the huddle.
Agreed but the old line is "irrefutable evidence". the point being, if they were going to override the ref that called it good in real-time, they had to be sure. The video evidence says that they were wrong.

Agreed but the old line is "irrefutable evidence". the point being, if they were going to override the ref that called it good in real-time, they had to be sure. The video evidence says that they were wrong.
And, if I understand the complaint, the referees had left the court of play and then came back.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Just a guess....but having some experience with how these things can unfold....I'm thinking 2 officials had to feel the basket should be disallowed....perhaps the 3rd vote/ opinion, came from the asst. director of the NYSIAA who was in attendance and was part of the huddle. Unfortunately, the 3rd official, who made the correct call was likely convinced he was in wrong.
The NJSIAA rep wasn't "in" the huddle...I call BS on that reporting. The official whose call it was called the basket good, but then called his partner over to discuss it. The trail official offered him help and was pretty emphatic that the basket was no good. The official then took that info and changed his call to no basket.

And, if I understand the complaint, the referees had left the court of play and then came back.
That's simply a BS part of the lawsuit. The referees were discussing the call on the sideline about 2 feet "out of bounds"...that's not "leaving the visual confines of the court", which is the Fed rule.

I wasn't there, so I don't know if that is true. I did see that alleged on twitter.....and we all know that if you want the truth, that's where you go. I also heard that the official that made the call had run off.....but apparently the assistant director of the association collared the others and created a huddle. I'm gonna assume that everyone had the purest intentions. In my 52 years of experience, I've never seen anyone attempt to get it wrong. This is one of those times where they did. The appropriate thing would be for Camden to forfeit the game they clearly lost.

The NJSIAA rep wasn't "in" the huddle...I call BS on that reporting. The official whose call it was called the basket good, but then called his partner over to discuss it. The trail official offered him help and was pretty emphatic that the basket was no good. The official then took that info and changed his call to no basket.
thanks for the clarification. And for the official that was "emphatic", video evidence showed the shot was good.

Here is a good view of it all...tell me, was the NJSIAA rep (the guy in the lighter blue sweatshirt) "huddling up with the officials", as was reported? And did these officials "leave the court"? Really, they handled everything correctly here from a mechanics standpoint...they simply blew the call.

Here is a good view of it all...tell me, was the NJSIAA rep (the guy in the lighter blue sweatshirt) "huddling up with the officials", as was reported? And did these officials "leave the court"? Really, they handled everything correctly here from a mechanics standpoint...they simply blew the call.

..and I'd sympathize if it turned out the video evidence showed that they blew the call on the court during the action. In other words, they just missed it. To overturn the correct call to an incorrect one is egregious. That dude should lose his license, card or ID...whatever it is that allows him to ref.

That dude should lose his license, card or ID...whatever it is that allows him to ref.
There is a huge officiating shortage (in NJ, and pretty much everywhere)...no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. That crew made a bad call, and I'm sure it'll be a long time before any of them see a game at that level (if ever again). But it doesn't help anyone to tell them to stop officiating...they are obviously respected officials to get that assignment, and what doing that really does is penalize Middle School or Freshman teams that will now have to cancel more games due to not having any officials (as I'm guess Marshall knows all too well, unless he's lucky).

I'm pretty sure the NFHS rule book doesn't address "irrefutable evidence." I think that's college or NFL football jargon. The IAABO officials that work in our state said that decisions are final once you leave the court. Clearly a mistake was made. I'm sure all three officials feel terrible. Coaches, players and officials make mistakes....only the HVCAC is omniscient. LOL

There is a huge officiating shortage (in NJ, and pretty much everywhere)...no reason to throw the baby out with the bath water. That crew made a bad call, and I'm sure it'll be a long time before any of them see a game at that level (if ever again). But it doesn't help anyone to tell them to stop officiating...they are obviously respected officials to get that assignment, and what doing that really does is penalize Middle School or Freshman teams that will now have to cancel more games due to not having any officials (as I'm guess Marshall knows all too well, unless he's lucky).
My only comment is that it wasn't a "bad call". It was a horrendous call.

A "bad call" is when he misses a charge and calls a foul. This was a wrong call, after the right call was made, on the game-changing play, in the playoffs. He awarded the inferior team the win and advancement in the playoffs.

Yes, officials are leaving high school athletics at an alarming rate. Contests at all levels jr hi, jv and varsity are being cancelled or often officiated with less than the full compliment...ie 1 on a basketball, baseball or soccer game. Parents/fans/coaches and their abuse is a major reason.
Everyone who is critical of officials should do a game in front of a few hundred people for $100 or less. It might change perspective.

My only comment is that it wasn't a "bad call". It was a horrendous call.

A "bad call" is when he misses a charge and calls a foul. This was a wrong call, after the right call was made, on the game-changing play, in the playoffs.
It was, but the shot left the shooters hand with either .5 or .6 seconds left, and the refs don't have the benefit of replay to see it again. They are human and made a terrible call...unfortunately it impacted a state semifinal, and not a JV game in December.

I mean, guys officiating Big Ten basketball games are some of the best/most highly respected in the country, and many fans think they are terrible...it might be that it's harder than it looks to call a game.

Reactions: marshall23
You are 100% correct. Also, these officials had to be among the top rated by coaches/associations in order to get such a high profile assignment. When I see something like this, my sympathy first goes to the young student athletes and then to the officials that missed the call. Different emotions, but no one feels good about this.

It was, but the shot left the shooters hand with either .5 or .6 seconds left, and the refs don't have the benefit of replay to see it again. They are human and made a terrible call...unfortunately it impacted a state semifinal, and not a JV game in December.

I mean, guys officiating Big Ten basketball games are some of the best/most highly respected in the country, and many fans think they are terrible...it might be that it's harder than it looks to call a game.
Funny, I'll bet it's many of the same folks that think football coaches (division 1) stink. ;)

Yeah...I don't care. You can't be "emphatic" and overturn a call unless you know it to be wrong. A massive failure.

As I said, if the in-game call was wrong and they let it stand, I'd be sympathetic. It is like the TD call that went against us versus Indiana a few years ago. I didn't like the call but get it. But to overturn the right call? Ridiculous.

That’s a great look that refutes a lot of the published article. Thanks for sharing.

That’s a great look that refutes a lot of the published article. Thanks for sharing.
Agreed but this wasn't a close call. the ball leaves the player's hand with 1.1 seconds. how in the world do you overturn the correct call that was made on the floor?

Reactions: EPC FAN
Agreed but this wasn't a close call. the ball leaves the player's hand with 1.1 seconds. how in the world do you overturn the correct call that was made on the floor?
That clock isn't synched up correctly (another reason that using video review isn't that practical)...based on some cell phone footage, it left his hand at either .5 or .6 (I think .6).

That clock isn't synched up correctly (another reason that using video review isn't that practical)...based on some cell phone footage, it left his hand at either .5 or .6 (I think .6).

Fair enough. Regardless, a half second is a LOT of time, even in HS (absent the backboard light like the NBA).

"But NJSIAA denied the protest, invoking association rules that prohibit the use of video or audio recordings to challenge the decision of a game official and forbid protests based on game officials’ judgment."
Banning video replay is a tacit admition of ongoing and pervasive referee misconduct. This is sorta like many judges, but m9st judicial prejudices are subject to review.
Then again it is NJ.

Banning video replay is a tacit admition of ongoing and pervasive referee misconduct. This is sorta like many judges, but m9st judicial prejudices are subject to review.
Then again it is NJ.
Does Florida allow referees to grab cell phones and watch videos to change calls? And not having the infrastructure for video replay is an "admition" of "pervasive referee misconduct"? And somehow a high school basketball game not being set up to handle replay has something to do with judicial prejudices?

I don't even know where to begin with that post.

This is the kicker. If the Nj state high school association are saying it can’t be changed now because it’s considered official once the officials leave the court- then the original call of good basket should stand. It was called good and the officials apparently left the court and came back later (if I read that correctly).

Their own argument of why they can’t change it actually confirms that the basket should have been counted.

As a side, the integrity of the opposing coach and school is now on the line. The video clearly shows they lost. They should voluntarily step aside and let the correct team move on.

Last edited:
This is the kicker. If the Nj state high school association are saying it can’t be changed now because it’s considered official once the officials leave the court- then the original call of good basket should stand. It was called good and the officials apparently left the court and came back later (if I read that correctly).

Their own argument of why they can’t change it actually confirms that the basket should have been counted.
See post 15...all of the bad reporting and BS thrown into the lawsuit isn't helping things.

Reactions: psu00
I can definitely see replay coming to certain calls in HS sports. We offer every game at our school through NFHS. We have a camera that they synced in with the scoreboard/clock in the gym, stadium, etc. My guess is something like this would be the only allowable use though for now.

See post 15...all of the bad reporting and BS thrown into the lawsuit isn't helping things.

Thanks. I missed that vid. The one I saw had a cut in it that looked like it was some time later which seemed to agree with the article.

Bottom line is the refs clearly got the call wrong. The other school/ coach are still on the hook to do what’s right and step aside so the correct team advances.

Last edited:
Reactions: OKLionFan
I work for Section IX Athletics in NYSPHSAA. A section in NY is equal to a district in the PIAA.
Earlier this year I had a team in my league lose a game when a basket in regulation was not counted by the home team's person doing the score book. The visiting coach addressed the situation at the first stoppage of play, the officials checked both books....and as is the custom declared the home book as official. The game ended in a tie and the team that should have won in regulation by 2 points, lost in triple overtime. There was of course, video evidence that the basket was not recoded.
I spoke to the Officials organization and their response was identical to the New Jersey situation. National Federation rules do not allow for a protest. Once the officials leave the confines of the court the results are final.
In the NYSPHSAA we do have a provision in the state semis and finals for a video review at the buzzer. But at no other time is video review permitted. High schools are not equipped to deal with replay.
I kept the Home book for Boys and Girls basketball for 15 years. I think that most fans would be surprised about how many errors are made every game between the Home/Visiting books and scoreboard. As stated- the actual score is the Home Book.

They key is constant communication and FIXING problems in real time and/or at the next stoppage.

Typically errors are player fouls, possession arrows and time outs. Never in my personal tenure was the score wrong, but we have had instances where the board showed a 3 and the refs had called a 2....which needed clarification and was changed.

An older gentleman who had kept the home and away book for 20+ years for an opposing conference school was maybe the best I've ever worked with. Very business like and serious. The Home Book keeper is considered a Game Official and wears a referee Jersey.

That gentleman resigned when only after reconciling his book after his team suffered a devasting home Overtime loss, did he realize he did not properly account for what he had as a Home basket in the 4th qtr which never made it to the scoreboard.

My wife accidentally closed a door or my writing hand a few years ago- and I was uncomfortable enough to give up the Book. I got move to Ticket Checker- which pays only $10 less but has ZERO stress....and you get a courtside seat to watch the game!

I'm sure those involved feel awful- society in general is much less forgiving about ANYTHING these days. The $ is not worth the aggravation....

Does Florida allow referees to grab cell phones and watch videos to change calls? And not having the infrastructure for video replay is an "admition" of "pervasive referee misconduct"? And somehow a high school basketball game not being set up to handle replay has something to do with judicial prejudices?

I don't even know where to begin with that post.
Replay is inexpensive and readily available. What other possible explanation could they have other than to protect the referee, especially in a very important playoff game?

I'm sure those involved feel awful- society in general is much less forgiving about ANYTHING these days. The $ is not worth the aggravation....
You don't think that the ~$95 (plus gas $, if they live far enough away) that those guys made was worth all of the sleepless nights, people online trying to track down their names/phone numbers to shame them, people on social media declaring that they intentionally fixed the game and/or wishing death on them, etc?

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
Note that the Harstock drop was pre-replay.

You are correct. It's probably the one that got replay pushed through.

What was the issue in '14 vs OSU? That's the one I had in mind being available for replay. The FG 3 seconds after the play clock hit :00?

Replay is inexpensive and readily available. What other possible explanation could they have other than to protect the referee, especially in a very important playoff game?
"Protecting the referee" would be having replay to avoid situations like this. Very few sports at the high school level throughout the country have replay. If it's so cheap, should I suggest to my local little league that we add replay this summer?

You are correct. It's probably the one that got replay pushed through.

What was the issue in '14 vs OSU? That's the one I had in mind being available for replay. The FG 3 seconds after the play clock hit :00?
I believe the FG was the same year as the interception that they couldn't overturn because replay was malfunctioning. Don't know if it was 2014, but pretty sure it was both in the same game.

Reactions: lazydave841
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT