ADVERTISEMENT

Odds Of An Auburn Rematch In Nashville?

johnrclark12

Gold Member
Sep 11, 2018
Seeing both CBS & ESPN projecting that Penn State & Auburn will meet in the Music City Bowl this year down in Nashville.

However, I thought I read before that bowl committees typically like to avoid repeat match-ups from the same season. This would make the potential match-up PSU Vs. Missouri instead. With how close the game between PSU/AUB was earlier this year, there might be intrigue in having them battle it out again.

What do you guys think? Could we see PSU / Auburn again next month?

Palm on CBS says Music City vs Missouri
McMurphy says Las Vegas vs UCLA
One ESPN guy said says Music City versus Arkansas
The other ESPN guy says Pinstripe versus UVA
I think it is going to Las Vegas vs PAC 12

I do not think Vegas passes us up from seeing the Big Ten selection order

Palm on CBS says Music City vs Missouri
McMurphy says Las Vegas vs UCLA
One ESPN guy said says Music City versus Arkansas
The other ESPN guy says Pinstripe versus UVA
I think it is going to Las Vegas vs PAC 12

I do not think Vegas passes us up from seeing the Big Ten selection order
If we win Saturday....it could be the Outback!

I personally think Vegas would be cool.

I think they need to take the Conference alignment out of the bowl selection. I now live in Big 12 Country but don't believe there are any bowls that could pit the B1G and the Big 12. If you want to keep the NY6 Bowls the same so all conferences can get a piece of the action then do so. But let the other bowls make match-ups that people might want to see.

How about a Clemson/Penn State Match-Up in Vegas??
Penn State/Texas (in usual years TX wins 6-7 games) somewhere?
What about USC vs Pitt? USC vs ACC?

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
Seeing both CBS & ESPN projecting that Penn State & Auburn will meet in the Music City Bowl this year down in Nashville.

However, I thought I read before that bowl committees typically like to avoid repeat match-ups from the same season. This would make the potential match-up PSU Vs. Missouri instead. With how close the game between PSU/AUB was earlier this year, there might be intrigue in having them battle it out again.

No thanks.

Reactions: BBrown
If we win it’s outback or Vegas (if they have choice they aren’t passing us up for the other options)

lose it’s almost certainly music city

We are going to win. Michigan State went from playoffs to Non New Year 6 in two weeks. They are banged up big time and probably have no interest in playing this game. We will come back a lot healthier then last week and dominate these fools.

11-1 if Clifford doesn't get hurt. You can't talk me in to something different.

I think they need to take the Conference alignment out of the bowl selection. I now live in Big 12 Country but don't believe there are any bowls that could pit the B1G and the Big 12. If you want to keep the NY6 Bowls the same so all conferences can get a piece of the action then do so. But let the other bowls make match-ups that people might want to see.

if it is at the new Vegas stadium I may have to look into going. My friends tell me it is awesome.

Frankly, and I know I am in the minority, I'd love to play Pitt. I watched them against VA this weekend and they look pretty good. I think our pass defense would match up well against their passing game.

We are going to win. Michigan State went from playoffs to Non New Year 6 in two weeks. They are banged up big time and probably have no interest in playing this game. We will come back a lot healthier then last week and dominate these fools.

The next time we beat a top-15 by double digits will be Franklin's first. Literally.

Not to say that MSU is an elite team or anything. They're not. But we don't have a history of dominating good teams. Michigan State is a good team.

Expect a close game.

Reactions: cigarowl

No

Reactions: 84Lion
if it is at the new Vegas stadium I may have to look into going. My friends tell me it is awesome.

Frankly, and I know I am in the minority, I'd love to play Pitt. I watched them against VA this weekend and they look pretty good. I think our pass defense would match up well against their passing game.
I think you could come up with some pretty cool match-ups if you would take the conferences out of it. Im sure they can't because of money.

Ever read anything about the first two day match-ups at the US Open and how the players are placed together. Get them and get some really great, made for TV match-ups.

Just this year alone:

Levis vs Clifford (I know we recently played Kentucky)
JoMo Offense vs Miss St
Mike Gundy vs Mike Leach in the battle of the mullets.
Rutgers (after they beat Maryland) vs Tennessee
Kiffin vs USC, if not:
Ole Miss vs Liberty in the Hugh Freeze Bowl
Virginia vs BYU
Houston vs West Virginia
A & M vs Florida State for the Jimbo Bowl
SMU vs Miami in the NCAA Penalty Bowl

I am sure we could even come up with some even better ones.

Reactions: Obliviax
If Clifford AND Mustipher had been healthy we might be undefeated.

PSU was beating Iowa 17-3 before those two got hurt.

Illinois would have been a definite win. It was a big mistake to play Clifford in that game. We probably would have won with Roberson or Veilleux.

Clifford was better against OSU and Michigan. Maybe 80%. I think we win both games with Mustipher and a healthy Clifford.

Reactions: BoChops and BBrown

Illinois would have been a definite win. It was a big mistake to play Clifford in that game. We probably would have won with Roberson or Veilleux.

Clifford was better against OSU and Michigan. Maybe 80%. I think we win both games with Mustipher and a healthy Clifford.
If it werent for the recent history with OSU I would have said 12-0 as well. I always forget about PJ.....no way Illinois racks up that many yards on the ground if he were there.

Reactions: BBrown and bdgan

nope

What if Michigan had a healthy Ronnie Bell and Blake Corum? They're a much more capable offense with those guys.

What if Ohio State had Josh Proctor? Completely changes their secondary. Or Harry Miller? Or Master Teague -- their best short-yardage RB?

What if Wisconsin had Leo Chenal in the opening game?

A whole lot of "what if" scenarios abound. We are what our record says we are.

Absolutely. PSU lacked depth. Not sure if that's a lack of talent or simply not having guys ready to play.

Playing Clifford vs. ILL was criminal.
Yep, no doubt. Really sucks that things transpired the way they did, but it reinforces the value of talented depth.

Any team is going to take a step back if their starting QB goes out. But the CFB world is loaded with instances of backups coming in and at least keeping the offense serviceable. You see it somewhere almost every week. Roberson's performance @ Iowa was horrifying, but getting thrust into a hostile environment like that on no notice isn't easy. The failure to have a backup ready for Illinois was even worse, though.

Oh well.

Blechh.

+1.

Not a big fan of meeting Auburn. Nothing against them- it’s more a ‘been there, done that’ type thing.

Have zero interest in Missouri or Kentucky potential matchups. If those are the choices then I’m all for skipping Nashville and heading out West.

Some more interesting matchups in Vegas of teams we haven’t played in a while- UCLA, Arizona State, etc.

It would be great to squeak into the Outback with a win against Sparty but that may be out of reach even with a win.

Iowa would need to lose this week and Wisky as well and in the B10 championship for us to even be considered. Even with that I think Iowa gets the nod for the Outback due to beating us and having the fewest losses with 3.

It would be great to squeak into the Outback with a win against Sparty but that may be out of reach even with a win.

Iowa would need to lose this week and Wisky as well and in the B10 championship for us to even be considered. Even with that I think Iowa gets the nod for the Outback due to beating us and having the fewest losses with 3.
The most likely scenario for the Outback Bowl would have OSU go to the playoffs, Michigan to the Rose Bowl (which I think is all but certain at this point), Iowa win and go to the Fiesta or Peach and Wisconsin win and lose to OSU in the title game. That opens the door with a Penn State win but it would likely have to be lopsided. The big question is Iowa getting the Fiesta or Peach. There are a lot of 10 win teams this year scrambling for big games. Assuming we have a Bama (I think they are going to beat Georgia), OSU, Notre Dame, Georgia playoff, that will likely leave many more 10 win teams than places.

We don't want Vegas based on payouts. Just take the Music City Bowl and hopefully get Arkansas who by the way would be a very tough matchup for us. Also Nashville is a great city and would be a relatively easy trip for the PSU fans from Pa, NJ, NY, DC, MD, VA, Chicago, Atlanta, Florida.

More excited for us playing Arkansas than UCLA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT