ADVERTISEMENT

An unfair assessment of Spencer's Career?

Rivera beat him twice, but both by decision. Thomasello beat him 2-1 at Bigs in 2018. Pic did pin him. And Ramos decked him this year. Looks like Bresser beat him at MIdlands in 2018 too.
Bresser was 2017 and check out how Spencer fared on the backside after that loss in the Semi’s.

Reactions: danoftw
Another Spencer fun fact: Despite his significant injury history, Spencer trails Jason Nolf 1-0 in medical forfeits to four-time Big Ten qualifies.
That's true only for injury defaults. Lee MFF to DeAugustino at Dec 2019 Midlands, and then to Cronin last weekend.

Any arguments belittling how great Spencer Lee was in college are just crazy. Injuries crushed this generational talent, and he still managed to win 3 NCAA titles. Injuries are a part of sports and life, and it is what it is.
Is this “Iowa generational” or “Penn State generational “? Because when you look at accomplishments over the past generation (let’s say 20 years) he is only a “generational” talent at one of these schools.

Last edited:
Any arguments belittling how great Spencer Lee was in college are just crazy. Injuries crushed this generational talent, and he still managed to win 3 NCAA titles. Injuries are a part of sports and life, and it is what it is.
Since Cael started at PSU, there have been three 4x NCAA champs, another 3 who can win their 4th in the next 2 years, plus another 2 guys who won Olympic Gold while undergrads. Another wrestler went undefeated in his last 3 years.

So without downplaying his talent: is Lee truly a generational talent?

Last edited:
Is this “Iowa generational” or “Penn State generational “? Because when you look at accomplishments over the past generation (let’s say 20 years) he is only a “generational” talent at one of these schools.
Since Cael started at PSU, there have been three 4x NCAA champs, another 3 who can win their 4th in the next 2 years, plus another 2 guys who won Olympic Gold while undergrads.

No doubt about the crazy amount of talent to go through college wrestling in the last decade or so. JMO, but injury-free Lee was better than them all.

Went to sectionals there almost every year. Lot of.good battles in that gym crazy times betz and that foura kid from central Columbia used to have some good matches. Good times
Wrestled in the Hughesville Christmas Tournament finals in 1977. The same year we were down 15 points with three matches to go in the dual meet with Hughesville and I had a fall at heavyweight, we won by 3. I'm from Danville. Hughesville had some great teams back in the day.

Since Cael started at PSU, there have been three 4x NCAA champs, another 3 who can win their 4th in the next 2 years, plus another 2 guys who won Olympic Gold while undergrads. Another wrestler went undefeated in his last 3 years.

And you did’t even mention some 3x champs with better records.

I don't think it's fair to say that he didn't think he needed to improve or that he was complacent.

He had major physical limitations. There's been ample discussion about his inability to train properly because of his injury issues, not because he didn't think he needed to or didn't feel like it.

Spencer Lee is a great wrestler who lost his last match. It happens. Just ask RBY.
My issue is that RBY is a great wrestler but no one put him up on a pedestal as the GOAT.

Look at the Midland bracket posted here, look at the NCAA most recent bracket, look at his senior year of high school bracket. He was killing kids with pins or TF until he lost. Then the injury comments came out. Not from him mine you but from others.

BUT, he wasn't injury free, right? Kind of like if the queen had balls, she would be the king!!
BUT, the question is whether Spencer Lee was a "generational talent", not whether Spencer Lee had a generational career. It is possible that a wrestler with generational talent does not have a generational career due to injuries. Certainly, Spencer Lee arguably falls under the category of a generational talent who had a great career but did not have a generational career due to injuries.

BUT, the question is whether Spencer Lee was a "generational talent", not whether Spencer Lee had a generational career. It is possible that a wrestler with generational talent does not have a generational career due to injuries. Certainly, Spencer Lee arguably falls under the category of a generational talent who had a great career but did not have a generational career due to injuries.
I think you must have both the talent and career to be called generational. Injuries are a part of that. Was Kemmerer a generational talent? It is damn easy to call someone generational, but without the W's it doesn't mean much. Know what I mean Vern?

Last edited:
Take out the skis; put in the Lees.

I miss the days when they'd have demolition derby as the sport of the week.

Nickal had a more successful college career. 21 more wins , half as many losses and 4 finals appearances to go with his three titles.

Wrestled in the Hughesville Christmas Tournament finals in 1977. The same year we were down 15 points with three matches to go in the dual meet with Hughesville and I had a fall at heavyweight, we won by 3. I'm from Danville. Hughesville had some great teams back in the day.
Back in the day yes Hughesville had some great teams….haven’t been much of a wrestling school for awhile….I always liked watching Buster Bob from Danville

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT