ADVERTISEMENT

Obli's Observations - Villa(nella)

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
So, the game was so boring I watched the Ryder Cup and am glad I did. I have almost no observations.

Gang Bang. There, I said it.

Ok, flipping back and forth, I did get to hear Matt Millon call a 'jailbreak" defense a "Gang Bang." I do have to say that the color guy covered really well as Milon corrected himself to say "gang break" or something like that. I laughed my ass off and wonder how the post-production went.

On the game:
  • PSU could have scored 100 points if they wanted. Nobody in Villa's secondary could come close to matching our speed.
  • I have to think that Indy is going to come with a stop the run defense and let our WRs be open underneath all day until we get into the red zone and then play a straight-up cover.
  • While the run game hasn't been good, it still shows signs of life and needs to be accounted for.
  • I see Cain had very few carries and CJF said he got dinged up versus Auburn.
  • Lee had early carries (7 total) but the feature back was Lovett with 11 rushes and one reception. Lovett seems like a third-down back as he goes down easily but has great explosion and moves.
  • Once again, pass protection was great including the RBs
  • WR blocking is a big plus. Timing is really good along with screens.
  • Overall, this was a practice game and CJF used it for just that. I didn't see any creativity on O or D whatsoever. And that is not a complaint.
  • That's really it. I tried to watch the tape but found myself more interested in the post Ryder Cup match interviews and shows. (Brandel Chamblee was spot on and one of the best analysts of the game that I've seen in recent years). I had a hard time being interested in the game and feel bad for Villanova. I was very concerned about the kid that got hurt and wonder if these games, the lack of athletic balance, is harmful and can cause damage. Having said that, I thought the Villanella team was well-coached, well prepared and disciplined. But they just didn't have the horses. (or any horses at all)
Looking forward, I think the team will be amped for Indy and wish I could go. then we have Iowa. We should both be 5-0 as PSU plays Indy and Iowa plays MD on Friday night. Iowa State doesn't look that great but neither does Wisc or Auburn at this point. We will get a better bead on the two teams after we play Indy and they play MD (which isn't a walkover game but MD looks to be in the lower two B1G east teams).

Last edited:
Iowa is built like a pre-90s Paterno team. Only problem is, Ferentz has never gotten them over the 1-2 loss hump.

It's going to be a fun chess match.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
I have to think that Indy is going to come with a stop the run defense and let our WRs be open underneath all day until we get into the red zone and then play a straight-up cover.

This is a good observation about what to expect this week, but I see no reason (so far) why run support by the Indiana defense would demand special attention. You do that against a team that demonstrates running prowess.

Indiana might even decide to use an extra DB just to prevent Washington and Dotson from taking it to the house, forcing us to grind it out in the red zone. Expect them to concede field goals.

That said, I don't see Indiana as a particular threat against our defense. Our DBs just need a little practice this week catching the ball. It will be there for them.

This is a good observation about what to expect this week, but I see no reason (so far) why run support by the Indiana defense would demand special attention. You do that against a team that demonstrates running prowess.

Indiana might even decide to use an extra DB just to prevent Washington and Dotson from taking it to the house, forcing us to grind it out in the red zone. Expect them to concede field goals.

That said, I don't see Indiana as a particular threat against our defense. Our DBs just need a little practice this week catching the ball. It will be there for them.
Agreed. On offense we are showing two great things: Going deep with good outside speed, great protection and SC's pocket presence (which is massively improved from last year, almost unbelievably so). We are also very good at the WR screens. maybe throw in RB screens as I see this is where the staff is going with Lovett. Finally, TE's are good at finding a seam when the DBs concentrate too much on the WRs. So you play a stout from 7 to stop the run and keep everything in front of you from a CB and S standpoint.

I agree...if PSU brings their B+ game on Defense, I don't see anything that will beat them from Indy's offense except Penix running the ball from the pocket (creating). If Penix runs too much, I don't think he'll stand up to be able to pass effectively.

Once again, pass protection was great including the RBs
NOT a criticism (I didn't see the game) but an observation as I was peripherally following the plays on my phone. I thought that there were a couple of sacks on Clifford. With receivers as open as you say and pass protection being "great", how did those happen? Did they sometimes simply bring the house and outnumber the OL?

NOT a criticism (I didn't see the game) but an observation as I was peripherally following the plays on my phone. I thought that there were a couple of sacks on Clifford. With receivers as open as you say and pass protection being "great", how did those happen? Did they sometimes simply bring the house and outnumber the OL?

Clifford probably takes the blame on one or two. Instead of checking down to a RB, he stood in there looking for a down field throw.

I remember a blitz that got through once. Probably a miss by the LG, but I'm just going off memory.

Reactions: Obliviax and BBrown
Clifford probably takes the blame on one or two. Instead of checking down to a RB, he stood in there looking for a down field throw.

I remember a blitz that got through once. Probably a miss by the LG, but I'm just going off memory.
+1, especially about holding the ball too long. He had underneath stuff with RB's and TE's open when ever he wanted them.

Reactions: lazydave841
I agree about the vanilla offense. Much of Nova's run stuffing came from the edges. This left the seams and slants wide open if we left Clifford read the edges with RPO. Never threatened enough in the game to have to do it. If Indiana takes that approach I think we gash them with quick passes.

+1, especially about holding the ball too long. He had underneath stuff with RB's and TE's open when ever he wanted them.

This is why keeping the passing game simple for Clifford should be a priority. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that can check down well, unless he's scrambling.

I would use the RBs and TEs more in plays designed for them.

This is why keeping the passing game simple for Clifford should be a priority. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that can check down well, unless he's scrambling.

I guess but I also kind of thought he wasn't really looking for them and really didnt' care. He had the long ball on his mind all day.
I think he'll be hitting those from now on. Or at least I hope to God he doesn't think he's going to have 4-5 seconds to wait for someone to break open deep the rest of the season.

Reactions: lazydave841

I think everything we did Saturday was specific. SC has checked down very well all year. He didn't lose that against Villanova. I'm sure we treated a lot of the day as a glorified scrimmage. Look no further than our first play. SC was shown a 2 high look and they bailed. He read that and threw a beautiful ball.

If we were worried about the score, we could have done that every down until we were up 35-0 too.

There were tight ends open in the flat the whole game, but it seemed as if Clifford was going for the glory on every pass rather than dumping down. After one of those poor decisions, Yurcich got in his face when Clifford came to the sideline.

Reactions: BBrown
This game was played adequately in order to get the job done and get everyone out healthy. My only quibble would be the offensive line not getting much of a push (which has been a problem all season thus far) and the left side, especially, having extra trouble. It seems they're still trying to figure out the LG position and while you can have struggles against Villanova, a team with a defense like Iowa's will expose that over and over again.

As for Indiana, keep Penix in the pocket and bracket Fryfogle. After that, there really isn't much about Indiana that makes them feel like the threat they often are for PSU.

Regarding the running game (and forgive me if this was already discussed) but check out the rushing stats for Notre Dame against Wisconsin.

32 rushes by ND for NINE yards.

This game was played adequately in order to get the job done and get everyone out healthy. My only quibble would be the offensive line not getting much of a push (which has been a problem all season thus far) and the left side, especially, having extra trouble. It seems they're still trying to figure out the LG position and while you can have struggles against Villanova, a team with a defense like Iowa's will expose that over and over again.

As for Indiana, keep Penix in the pocket and bracket Fryfogle. After that, there really isn't much about Indiana that makes them feel like the threat they often are for PSU.
If our secondary plays to its potential, they should intercept a few of his passes; I'm not that impressed with him. I just hope that he doesn't make me eat my words.

We didn’t get creative at all (didn’t need to) and the TE’s weren’t much of a factor. I look for them to be a big part of the game on Saturday.

We didn’t get creative at all (didn’t need to) and the TE’s weren’t much of a factor. I look for them to be a big part of the game on Saturday.
Hopefully the TE’s put a little better effort into blocking on the edge as they had several whiffs on Saturday which caused problems with some runs.

So, the game was so boring I watched the Ryder Cup and am glad I did. I have almost no observations.

Ok, flipping back and forth, I did get to hear Matt Millon calls a 'jailbreak" defense a "Gang Bang." I do have to say that the color guy covered really well as Milon corrected himself to say "gang break" or something like that. I laughed my ass off and wonder how the post-production went.

On the game:
  • PSU could have scored 100 points if they wanted. Nobody in Villa's secondary could come close to matching our speed.
  • I have to think that Indy is going to come with a stop the run defense and let our WRs be open underneath all day until we get into the red zone and then play a straight-up cover.
  • While the run game hasn't been good, it still shows signs of life and needs to be accounted for.
  • Lee had early carries (7 total) but the feature back was Lovett with 11 rushes and one reception. Lovett seems like a third-down back as he goes down easily but has great explosion and moves.
  • Overall, this was a practice game and CJF used it for just that. I didn't see any creativity on O or D whatsoever. And that is not a complaint.
  • That's really it. I tried to watch the tape but found myself more interested in the post Ryder Cup match interviews and shows. (Brandel Chamblee was spot on and one of the best analysts of the game that I've seen in recent years). I had a hard time being interested in the game and feel bad for Villanova. I was very concerned about the kid that got hurt and wonder if these games, the lack of athletic balance, is harmful and can cause damage. Having said that, I thought the Villanella team was well-coached, well prepared and disciplined. But they just didn't have the horses. (or any horses at all)
Looking forward, I think the team will be amped for Indy and wish I could go. then we have Iowa. We should both be 5-0 as PSU plays Indy and Iowa plays MD on Friday night. Iowa State doesn't look that great but neither does Wisc or Auburn at this point. We will get a better bead on the two teams after we play Indy and they play MD (which isn't a walkover game but MD looks to be in the lower two B1G east teams).
I caught the gangbang reference too :)

He held it too long at least twice. Not sure if vision was blocked but he either didn’t see receiver or chose to wait for something better. The wait cost two sacks. The O is at it’s best when he gets the ball out quickly unless they’re waiting for deeper pattern to develop.

Ok, flipping back and forth, I did get to hear Matt Millon call a 'jailbreak" defense a "Gang Bang." I do have to say that the color guy covered really well as Milon corrected himself to say "gang break" or something like that. I laughed my ass off and wonder how the post-production went.

On the game:
His name is MATT MILLEN. He was an All American DT for the Lions. I know he’s hated here, but I know him since was 13 years old, and glad he’s still with us.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper and Fac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT