ADVERTISEMENT

MBB hanging in against Indy

If you watched them play against Pitt today then you saw all you need see: neither one of them would see the floor in this PSU team.

PSU 11-11
ND.....7-15
Leo O’Boyle gets all these minutes, but Booth wouldn’t see the floor as a stretch 4. Great insight as usual Gunsie.

Shrews will build up ND over the next couple of years. Rhoades is doing great and happy to have him.
Both started with nothing. One guy is 11-11 and the other guy is 7-15. If you know the future then by all means please give us the winning Powerball tickets and we'll be good to go.

I'm going with what's up right now.

If Penn State continues to play well and if Clary can return then we have a pretty good shot of going 5-4 the last 9 games to get to 10 conference wins. That would get us to 16-15. Then if we go 1-1 in the BTT to be 17-16, I think that should get us into the NIT. If all that happens then it would be a great season all things considered.

If Penn State continues to play well and if Clary can return then we have a pretty good shot of going 5-4 the last 9 games to get to 10 conference wins. That would get us to 16-15. Then if we go 1-1 in the BTT to be 17-16, I think that should get us into the NIT. If all that happens then it would be a great season all things considered.
Getting to 10-10 would be a pretty big stretch…8-12 would be a good result I’d say. We’ve got a pretty tough schedule ahead, and those last two big wins shouldn’t make us think that the team is better than it is.

Getting to 10-10 would be a pretty big stretch…8-12 would be a good result I’d say. We’ve got a pretty tough schedule ahead, and those last two big wins shouldn’t make us think that the team is better than it is.
You never know with this team. We could beat Illinois at home then lose to Indiana at home.

Both started with nothing. One guy is 11-11 and the other guy is 7-15. If you know the future then by all means please give us the winning Powerball tickets and we'll be good to go.

I'm going with what's up right now.
Mitchell Mesenbrink is currently the 7th ranked wrestler in the country. I don’t know the winning Powerball numbers, so I guess that means that my belief that he’ll clearly outperform that ranking throughout his career is meaningless, right?

You never know with this team. We could beat Illinois at home then lose to Indiana at home.
No doubt…but it’s a tough schedule ahead. 3 games that seem to be somewhere between tossups and small favorites, and 6 games where we’ll be considerable dogs. I’d take 2-1 in those first 3, and then pulling out 2 of the others for 9-11, but that would be a really strong finish.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Oh,probably not. Eye don’t have a big brand like u due.
Genetics.

At first I thought it modestly significant that Booth decided to go with Shrew but hey, after considering PSUs history with BB coaches I don't think that now.

Also, I personally don't care how Shrew fares at ND. I think Rhodes was a good choice and that is obvious in the fact that he has been able to get this group of suddenly teammates to work together.

Interesting...but not as dramatic as usual...

Dunno if anyone else was listening to the game on the radio or not, but Steve and Girardi talked during a break how IU had less than a second to get across 1/2 court after we tipped a pass OOB. The official walked over to IU coach Woodson and asked him several times if he wanted a time out. Woodson eventually said yes. By calling a TO, it would reset the 10 second count. An official should never EVER do what this guy did. PERIOD.

Btw. There aren't B1G refs. These guys work games almost every night for multiple conferences.

Dunno if anyone else was listening to the game on the radio or not, but Steve and Girardi talked during a break how IU had less than a second to get across 1/2 court after we tipped a pass OOB. The official walked over to IU coach Woodson and asked him several times if he wanted a time out. Woodson eventually said yes. By calling a TO, it would reset the 10 second count. An official should never EVER do what this guy did. PERIOD.

Btw. There aren't B1G refs. These guys work games almost every night for multiple conferences.
I think that many posters don’t know that there aren’t Big 10 basketball referees like there are Big 10 football officials. With that said, I believe that basketball is the most overly and poorly officiated sport that also almost always is skewed in favor of the home team unless the road team is just so much better. Just look at Collins’ reaction at the end of Northwestern-Purdue game last week when he was ejected, and the free throw discrepancy in that game.

Micah didn’t do anything wrong Mary…he took advantage of a new job opportunity. If people want to trash him, I’ll defend him.
True, but he LEFT. Rhoades is here and doing a hell of a job. So many people can't celebrate what they have. I wish Micah well and I wish never to see his name here on a game thread.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
True, but he LEFT. Rhoades is here and doing a hell of a job. So many people can't celebrate what they have. I wish Micah well and I wish never to see his name here on a game thread.
been that way for decades with this program, we seemingly have fans who actually don't want it to succeed and take pot shots at every turn.

although this is a new one - pointing to a coach who is in dead last place in another conference and saying that we really missed out. lol

They are one of the handful of youngest teams in the country. They are currently starting 2 freshman and 3 sophs, with their first two off the bench also freshmen. Everyone on the team that plays could be back next year, and they’ve got another good group coming in. Burton is a stud. They are playing the “long game”, rather than adding grad transfers to make this year’s record better. They’ll have some bright days ahead if they can keep this group together.
It's tough for Rhoades to play the long game when you inherit 3 scholarship players and zero recruits.

Reactions: Yanks49 and OzLion
It's tough for Rhoades to play the long game when you inherit 3 scholarship players and zero recruits.
the long game. LOL

only in psu basketball world is the coach who is in last place actually doing better than the coach who is .500. we just aren't looking at it through the right intertemporal lenses

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Sounds very similar to Micah at ND, Odom at VCU, and Sprinkle at Utah St…unfortunately, that’s basketball in 2023-2024

the long game. LOL

only in psu basketball world is the coach who is in last place actually doing better than the coach who is .500. we just aren't looking at it through the right intertemporal lenses
He isn’t doing better…he also isn’t doing worse. As I’ve stated several times, I also don’t think that Odom is doing better at VCU than Rhoades is doing here. But obviously you do, since he has a better record and even beat us head to head, right? Sorry that your “intertemporal lense” can’t see past our record if you wanted to compare PSU and VCU.

I’ll never bring up Micah’s job at ND in an in-game thread…but if others are going to bash him, I’ll likely defend him and present some more context.

serious question. what is wrong with you?
Norhing. I am sick of the subject Micah and negative nannies who polluted this thread. It is an opinion board. DISGUST is my opinion of the words from them. Take it to the ND board.

I cane to PSU in 1963andd rec hall rocked for BB games. Since then, we have had very little to get excited about. Maybe 5-10 years of good BB. IMHO, coach Rhoades is doing exactly what must be done to build a winning tradition. AND, he did not come here for a stepping stone.
I can get emotional and the whiny, negative nabobs in this thread lit my fire.
Appreciate what we have and what this NEW team is doing.

Last edited:
Norhing. I am sick of the subject Micah and negative nannies who polluted this thread. It is an opinion board. DISGUST is my opinion of the words from them. Take it to the ND board.

I cane to PSU in 1963andd rec hall rocked for BB games. Since then, we have had very little to get excited about. Maybe 5-10 years of good BB. IMHO, coach Rhoades is doing exactly what must be done to build a winning tradition. AND, he did not come here for a stepping stone.
I can get emotional and the whiny, negative nabobs in this thread lit my fire.
Appreciate what we have and what this NEW team is doing.
also Shrewsberry's claim to fame was being on the Brad Stevens Butler staff that went to the finals. and that was great to have. but somehow it's not relevant that Rhoades was on the Shaka Smart VCU staff that had a final 4 run from the play-in game during the same era. seriously what is wrong with our fans? there's a refusal to acknowledge that we may have gotten the equivalent or an upgrade during the coaching change

also Shrewsberry's claim to fame was being on the Brad Stevens Butler staff that went to the finals. and that was great to have.
Makes perfect sense to ignore his time in the Big Ten, time in the NBA, time spent getting PSU to the Big Ten title game, winning an NCAA game, taking a MAAC player and helping to shape him into one of the best players in the country. His “claim to fame” might be all that you see, but others see a bit more.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Makes perfect sense to ignore his time in the Big Ten, time in the NBA, time spent getting PSU to the Big Ten title game, winning an NCAA game, taking a MAAC player and helping to shape him into one of the best players in the country. His “claim to fame” might be all that you see, but others see a bit more.
i'm not ignoring any of that, but during the time Shrewsberry was doing those things as an assistant, Rhoades was a HC, including taking on one of the most difficult jobs possible (Rice).

Reactions: bison13
He isn’t doing better…he also isn’t doing worse. As I’ve stated several times, I also don’t think that Odom is doing better at VCU than Rhoades is doing here. But obviously you do, since he has a better record and even beat us head to head, right? Sorry that your “intertemporal lense” can’t see past our record if you wanted to compare PSU and VCU.

I’ll never bring up Micah’s job at ND in an in-game thread…but if others are going to bash him, I’ll likely defend him and present some more context.
You’re beginning to sound like Baghdad Bob defending Shrewsberry. Have you watched any of Notre Dame’s games? These players you are touting are not setting the world on fire. Booth’s kid is not Booth, doesn’t do the things Calvin did. Shrewsberry is not a jump shooter. They have one very good player but I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t stick around because Micah Shrewsberry seems to be at odds with him. The fact is Notre Dame has taken a big risk on an unproven coach and it looks like Rhoades got the better of this whole deal.

You’re beginning to sound like Baghdad Bob defending Shrewsberry. Have you watched any of Notre Dame’s games? These players you are touting are not setting the world on fire. Booth’s kid is not Booth, doesn’t do the things Calvin did. Shrewsberry is not a jump shooter. They have one very good player but I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t stick around because Micah Shrewsberry seems to be at odds with him. The fact is Notre Dame has taken a big risk on an unproven coach and it looks like Rhoades got the better of this whole deal.
I've watched ND many times this season. Carey Booth isn't the same as Calvin because they have very different games. Calvin was a traditional 5, while Carey is a more of a stretch 4. If Carey wanted to transfer tomorrow, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Braeden started off very rough from the outside, but it now shooting 42% in conference play which is good for 12th in the ACC. And if they lost Burton, that would obviously be a big hit as he's really good.

Why do we even care about Micah Shrewsberry? He's history and never coming back to Penn State. His team is struggling and maybe he turns ND around but again who the heck cares about ND basketball??

I am much more interested in what Rhoades can do with the PSU hoops program. I really want us to become a program known for playing tough, gritty defense. I think Rhoades can instill that kind of culture.

Why do we even care about Micah Shrewsberry? He's history and never coming back to Penn State. His team is struggling and maybe he turns ND around but again who the heck cares about ND basketball??

I am much more interested in what Rhoades can do with the PSU hoops program. I really want us to become a program known for playing tough, gritty defense. I think Rhoades can instill that kind of culture.
I only care because I'm sick of people taking shots at Micah or minimizing what he did here...I'd defend him just like I'll defend Pat Chambers, Bill O'Brien, or any player that our fans trash that transferred or left early.

I'm also more interested in what Rhoades can do here...there are certainly some things we've seen this season that we can build on, like our ability to create steals. But we'll really need to do a better job of not getting beat off the dribble, and most of all finishing possessions with defensive rebounds. Wahab was a big find, but feel like we'll really need to follow it up with another portal 5 to be what we want to be next season.

Rhoades' style is working better than I expected. also impressive is not only the team he assembled, but also the coaching staff. seems to be what we need. could you imagine how Chambers would have recruited if he had that staff?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT