ADVERTISEMENT

MBB hanging in against Indy

bdgan

May 29, 2008
because Hicks & Brown made 5 3pt shots.

I don't know how long they can hang in because they're getting dominated in the paint. A lot of that is because Indy is bigger & stronger but a lot of it is PSU lacking toughness and failing to block out.

Reactions: NedFromYork
The 3s keep falling. ESPN Gamecast gives us an 89% chance of winning. I'm not that optimistic.

The 3s keep falling. ESPN Gamecast gives us an 89% chance of winning. I'm not that optimistic.
What do you think about these ESPN game casts? I get tired of them pretty quick. Then they spend hours talking about them when the game is over. Analyze every catch, every throw! I guess this is progress in the sports world.

because Hicks & Brown made 5 3pt shots.

I don't know how long they can hang in because they're getting dominated in the paint. A lot of that is because Indy is bigger & stronger but a lot of it is PSU lacking toughness and failing to block out.
They are playing great ball in this 2nd half

Seems like the official was ripping into Rhoades at the end there. Anyone know what that was about?

Great wins in a row on the road and at Palestra!! Rhoades is the real deal and can’t wait for how he keeps building a great program finally for Penn State!! Plus he will be loyal, unlike Shrewsbury who inherited a great senior class and rode them to NCAAs and bailed and plundered the program and left it in shambles. Hope he gets fired at ND soon

Penn State 11-11
Notre Dame 7-14

Who's the better coach again?
shrewsberry was hired twice based on connections to Stevens. he is only in his 3rd year as a coach. rhoades has done more and i am not surprised it's playing out like this

Seems like the official was ripping into Rhoades at the end there. Anyone know what that was about?
I think Rhoads was pissed at the no foul call on kern or hicks last layup with about 15 seconds left. He barked at the ref who barked back, which set off Rhoads.

Reactions: RochLion
Backhanded compliment. Like every win is a complete fluke. Excellent win, just enjoy it. A week ago no one saw 2 road wins coming.
A little over a week ago we expected to beat Minny and lost. Now we won two road games we weren't expected to win which is great, especially without Clary.

Hicks is a career 36% 3pt shooter but he's only 29% this year even after today. Hopefully he gets back to 36% but I don't think we should expect more than that.

Brown is shooting 34% from 3pt range after today's 80% effort. I'd be happy if he shot 36% from here out.

It was great to see two guys get so hot from 3pt range today. It's great when that happens but you can't count on that game in and game out like you can count on defense, rebounding, and scoring in the paint

You’re not paying attention to what’s happening at ND if you think he’s in danger of getting fired
he's not in danger of getting fired, that's for sure. but what exactly is happening? they aren't good at all. they have much better players coming next year, but what they have now is basically the team he would have been coaching at psu this year. i think Kraft played the situation brilliantly at the end of last year, and was effective at ensuring a good outcome for this program either way

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu
he's not in danger of getting fired, that's for sure. but what exactly is happening? they aren't good at all. they have much better players coming next year, but what they have now is basically the team he would have been coaching at psu this year.
They are one of the handful of youngest teams in the country. They are currently starting 2 freshman and 3 sophs, with their first two off the bench also freshmen. Everyone on the team that plays could be back next year, and they’ve got another good group coming in. Burton is a stud. They are playing the “long game”, rather than adding grad transfers to make this year’s record better. They’ll have some bright days ahead if they can keep this group together.

Reactions: bdgan
They are one of the handful of youngest teams in the country. They are currently starting 2 freshman and 3 sophs, with their first two off the bench also freshmen. Everyone on the team that plays could be back next year, and they’ve got another good group coming in. Burton is a stud. They are playing the “long game”, rather than adding grad transfers to make this year’s record better. They’ll have some bright days ahead if they can keep this group together.
that's a lot of "ifs". what's actually happened so far is they are in the basement of the ACC

• Haha
Reactions: GregInPitt
Great wins in a row on the road and at Palestra!! Rhoades is the real deal and can’t wait for how he keeps building a great program finally for Penn State!! Plus he will be loyal, unlike Shrewsbury who inherited a great senior class and rode them to NCAAs and bailed and plundered the program and left it in shambles. Hope he gets fired at ND soon
ND is playing a lot of underclassmen. Their future looks bright.
  • Burton is a freshman averaging 16 pts
  • Shrews Jr is a freshman averaging 9 pts
  • Booth is a freshman averaging 6 pts and 4 rebounds
  • Njie is a sophomore averaging 4 pts and 6 rebounds

Who cares. I'm about supporting MY COACH, not dude who left the entire program high and dry after one good season.

other than Burton, none of that is anything remotely special

that would have been our team this year, minus Burton. which is why he took another job when he did

that's a lot of "ifs". what's actually happened so far is they are in the basement of the ACC
It was actually more “facts” than “ifs”. Is it surprising that they aren’t very good this season? Not to anyone that’s paying attention. But getting these kids these minutes will pay a lot of dividends down the road, and not a bad choice to sacrifice wins this year for development.

A little over a week ago we expected to beat Minny and lost. Now we won two road games we weren't expected to win which is great, especially without Clary.

Hicks is a career 36% 3pt shooter but he's only 29% this year even after today. Hopefully he gets back to 36% but I don't think we should expect more than that.

Brown is shooting 34% from 3pt range after today's 80% effort. I'd be happy if he shot 36% from here out.

It was great to see two guys get so hot from 3pt range today. It's great when that happens but you can't count on that game in and game out like you can count on defense, rebounding, and scoring in the paint
True, before today I had us pegged as only winning three more games, and while that’s still probably what I would say the rest of the way they continue to find some shooting , you never know.

It was actually more “facts” than “ifs”. Is it surprising that they aren’t very good this season? Not to anyone that’s paying attention. But getting these kids these minutes will pay a lot of dividends down the road, and not a bad choice to sacrifice wins this year for development.
ok... i think Kraft wisely recognized that once the bidding got up to the $4 million range that there were lots of other directions psu could go.

well if we are into facts, it is also a fact that they are 2-8 in their conference right now

ok... i think Kraft wisely recognized that once the bidding got up to the $4 million range that there were lots of other directions psu could go.
Probably a good decision because Shrews wanted to be in Indiana anyway. It just hurt that he took Booth, Shrews Jr, and Njie with him.

Reactions: bison13 and Ski
Definitely…there isn’t a blank check, so Kraft needed to make a tough decision (and one that I had no objections to).

It just hurt that he took Booth, Shrews Jr, and Njie with him.
that's where i am not sure i agree. the team he took with him would have been at the bottom of this league too. its not a good team just because he is the coach. the Ws and Ls say otherwise

that's where i am not sure i agree. the team he took with him would have been at the bottom of this league too
I think Njie was a project from the start but he'll be a solid contributer as a JR and even better as a senior.

Shrews Jr and Booth both have a chance to be good. Look at Clary as a So vs a Fr.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT