ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 16-20

Seeing on HR that Turk will be going at 149 against Lovett. As an Iowa fan I am pissed if this happens. That means he misses the top 2 guys in the Big 10 but wrestles against Okie St in between. Let’s see if it happens.
Turk in for Murin against Lovett now.

Eirmann 6-3 DEC over Red.

Seeing on HR that Turk will be going at 149 against Lovett. As an Iowa fan I am pissed if this happens. That means he misses the top 2 guys in the Big 10 but wrestles against Okie St in between. Let’s see if it happens.
You called that one. Maybe they should use an orange duck instead of a hawk as the mascot for the wrestling team.

Brands and Murin
tenor.gif

What was result at 184 in NC state vs Va. Tech
intense boredom as usual in that match up.

Hidlay 2-1 on an illegal cutback call. Blows my mind that guys are still hitting that mat return. It gets called every time now.

Kem has had a great career but that massive shoulder brace he has had on seemingly his entire career seemed to be a factor in that last TD he gave up. It's interesting that we saw the top 4 guys behind Starocci tonight at 174 and I'm more convinced than ever that Kem isn't his biggest threat.

In fact after tonight I'd probably go Mekhi, Hayden and Labs as bigger threats in that order.

Kem has had a great career but that massive shoulder brace he has had on seemingly his entire career seemed to be a factor in that last TD he gave up. It's interesting that we saw the top 4 guys behind Starocci tonight at 174 and I'm more convinced than ever that Kem isn't his biggest threat.

In fact after tonight I'd probably go Mekhi, Hayden and Labs as bigger threats in that order.
So the loss to Labriola drops Kem 4 spots in your book? Interesting.

So the loss to Labriola drops Kem 4 spots in your book? Interesting.
No but 1 or 2 spots. I had Mekhi and Hayden above him before tonight. Even before that last TD he gave up Labs looked like the better wrestler to me.

And to be clear I'm talking about who has he best chance to challenge Starocci. I don't see any scenario where Kem can beat Starocci...felt the same way about him vs Hall and Nolf.

Last edited:
Acc telecast is saying Morgan state is bringing back division one wrestling. Bet they beat Maryland lol

The Iowa vs Neb dual has several matches with Big Ten seeding implications.

In Parenthesis are Big Ten record - discounting tourneys.

Eierman (4-1) vs Red (5-1)
Murin (5-1) vs Lovett (6-1)
Kem (6-1) vs Labs (6-2)
Warner (6-1) vs Schultz (7-0)

I wonder if we will see any ducks.
They told me Murin sitting out Wisconsin was a Senior Day move for Turk.
Was last night another Senior Day move for Turk?

Reactions: nitlion6 and PASLP2
They told me Murin sitting out Wisconsin was a Senior Day move for Turk.
Was last night another Senior Day move for Turk?
I almost posted a poll about this.

Possible reasons:

1) Murin is banged up
2) Murin struggles to make the weight
3) The weight is still undecided
4) Protect Big Ten Seed (4th instead of 5th makes this unlikely IMO)
5) Protect overall record (8-2 without those matches; 8-4 and under 0.700 with. But he’s prob an at-large regardless on RPI and Coaches ranking)
6) Other ????

The more I consider it, I lean (3) it’s still undecided.

I almost posted a poll about this.

Possible reasons:

1) Murin is banged up
2) Murin struggles to make the weight
3) The weight is still undecided
4) Protect Big Ten Seed (4th instead of 5th makes this unlikely IMO)
5) Protect overall record (8-2 without those matches; 8-4 and under 0.700 with. But he’s prob an at-large regardless on RPI and Coaches ranking)
6) Other ????

The more I consider it, I lean (3) it’s still undecided.
No - it's definitely decided unless Murin can't go for postseason (doubt it) lol. This would be like us saying 197 is undecided.

No - it's definitely decided unless Murin can't go for postseason (doubt it) lol. This would be like us saying 197 is undecided.
I don’t know. Murin has a not-so-great loss and only two bonus wins (two majors against guys that won’t be at nationals). Turk is prob right there and if the coaches didn’t think they were seeing enough from Murin, I could see them giving Turk a shot to prove he should go.

Someone on HR insinuated he’s banged up. I guess that makes the most sense.
He's always banged up. He leads with his face. As Cael intimated, everyone's dinged up this time of year.

Imagine if they went with Turk, he did fairly well, but then his antics led to a disqualification and loss of all Iowa Team points at NCAAs (like happened to Missouri in St. Louis in 2015 with Eblen). Further imagine that costing Iowa the championship.

I guess I do have a pretty good imagination after all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT