ADVERTISEMENT

Noteworthy Results & Goldfish Games: Feb 16-20

Season tix holder at both PSU & VT. I love CStar’s energy and pace when facing low rank opponents. He shifts style (as anyone would expect) against the high level guys. Lewis is gonna give CStar problems. I think Carter knows the way through any of the others. Style matchups are particularly important this year among the top 4-5 at 174. I’m sure the brain trust at PSU is already crafting a plan to blunt Lewis (take advantage of his weakened top game at his new weight). I’ve seen the guy live 4 times this year and he’s definitely more cautious (more D and less explosive O), but, he’s still a beast.
It’s an interesting matchup, for sure. I think both guys have stellar defense and would stymie one another on offensive point-scoring. I would predict they trade escapes and one of them wins on RT advantage in TBs.

No RT, it was 7-1. Cenzo also said on "The Inside Trip" he overthought it and baited a cradle in the 2nd to try something fancy against Mekhi but then he locked it up and he was like damn it, he's strong.

Also, Cenzo was very close to finishing a takedown at the end of that period and the minute he didn't finish, it was basically over. He wasn't coming back from a 4 point deficit in a period against a guy that good defensively. Mekhi absolutely earned it that tournament winning as an 8 seed and beating the B1G's best.

Don't think Cenzo was himself that tournament at all tbh, 8-4 against a Missouri kid that Joe Lee pinned at the Scuffle the following year. Went to SV against White (though I guess that's not that uncommon lol) and then 3-2 over Shields (who he majored earlier that year)
Good catch, was 7-1.

Agree. He worries me more than Lewis but let’s get real here. Any of these top 5 or 6 could beat another on any given day. I like that our guys seem to wrestle their best at Nationals tho…. :)
In Carter's 2 career losses, he gave up NF points in both of them that became insurmountable deficits.

10-1 after 1 to Washington
7-1 after 2 to Kem

Bottom line he isn't blowing any of the other Top 6 174 out the water but he's perfectly cool in close match situations.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
My money is on C* for the next 3 years.
Damn I wish we could bet on wrestling.
In my opinion, Detroit is the tipping point for Carter. If he runs the gauntlet in this weight and finishes on top, look out. He will be a different wrestler next year. His challenge (self imposed) will not be to win a title. It will be to destroy everyone in his path. Meaning he will wrestle the top talent like he wrestles the mid-tier talent now.
No one will be safe.
giphy.gif

Yeah, he does. Good thing too. I hear he’s getting pushed by Turk in the room lately. Wonder what the guys over on HR think about that. You should ask em..

…Whistling…
That board is something. They take something I posted here, ask me about it using @mcpat so I’d get tagged and respond, then tell me to stay off their board.

Last edited:
That board is something. They take something I posted here, ask me about it using @mcpat so I’d get tagged and respond, then tell me to stay off their board.
It's possible you were invited to a sparring session and expected to take you lumps from the champs as they prepare to defend their title belt.

Reactions: mcpat
I saw Nomad tweet that Micic didn’t earn an allocation for the Big Ten. I guess everyone probably knew that, but still… wow.
That's crazy, the grind of NCAAs is so rough I feel like nobody is a better wrestler after their 5th year in college. Most are worse than they were as juniors or "real" seniors....

Reactions: Ski
That's crazy, the grind of NCAAs is so rough I feel like nobody is a better wrestler after their 5th year in college. Most are worse than they were as juniors or "real" seniors....
He’s wrestling up a weight and his funk just isn’t enough to overcome the bigger / better guys.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
He’s wrestling up a weight and his funk just isn’t enough to overcome the bigger / better guys.

What? Have you ever even seen him wrestle?

He has a european style for sure. lot of elbow pulls, front head to leg attacks. But it's all pretty fundamental stuff. Micic's biggest problem is this is probably the first time in his life he's ever picked up a dumb bell.

Reactions: js8793
Yeah, funk is probably the one of the last words I'd use to describe Micic. That said it was a general observation not just Micic. Imo by year 6 most folkstyle collegiate wrestlers regress.

Reactions: vhsalum

He has a european style for sure. lot of elbow pulls, front head to leg attacks. But it's all pretty fundamental stuff. Micic's biggest problem is this is probably the first time in his life he's ever picked up a dumb bell.
Perhaps a 125 in July is not suited to wrestle 141 in a season starting in November.

This is Micic's 5th year on a college mat. He had zero matches in 2016, 2020, and 2021.

Reactions: johnstownsteel

Ok, funk might have been the wrong choice, but he is losing in positions that he would normally be able to win at 133 and in a couple of matches he was just overpowered.

Reactions: vhsalum

Anyone......? :)

This will be a real battle for the varsity spot at 149 that may come down to a coaches decision right before Big Tens.

It is competition like this for a varsity spot that reminds me of national championship Iowa Wrestling teams of the past.”

I hope HR doesn’t get hold of the author.

Yeah… I was cracking up reading that stuff. Btw, hope you don’t mind but I’m kinda sorta living vicariously through you over there…. So give ‘em hell! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat

This will be a real battle for the varsity spot at 149 that may come down to a coaches decision right before Big Tens.

It is competition like this for a varsity spot that reminds me of national championship Iowa Wrestling teams of the past.”

Todd Conner spins more gold than Rumplestiltskin

TnT can't decide until the last minute that Murin is better?

If so, that would make a total of 2 people who haven't figured that out.

Who's paying Connor to put out that propaganda?

Anyone......? :)

OK....I'll play........you misspelled Blonde :)

RE: National Prep Championships:
After the first day of wrestling they have made it to the Quarterfinals which start tomorrow morning. There are 112 teams entered. The current standings are:
1. Wyoming Seminary..........116 points. 13 of 14 wrestlers made the quarterfinals. Other is in quarterfinals of consolations
2. Malvern Prep....................111.5 points. All 14 wrestlers are in the quarterfinals.
3. Blair Academy................. 101.5 points. 12 of 13 wrestlers made the quarterfinals ( No entry at 106 ). Other wrestler is in the quarterfinals of consolations.
4. Lake Highland Prep..........79.5 points. 9 of 11 wrestlers made the quarterfinals ( only 11 weights qualified ). the other 2 are in the quarterfinals of consolations
5. The next closest team ( 71 points ) has only 3 in the quarterfinals so these will be your top 4 teams

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone

I know a lot of people on this board don't like Turk because of his aggression. I think he's a guy you dislike when he's an opponent.If he's on our roster most people would like him for his "toughness".
I think he beats Murin.

ADVERTISEMENT