ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from the road, game 2

wplion

Jul 12, 2001
This week I attended the BC - Wake Forest game in BB & T Stadium, Winston Salem. The game was a Thursday night game which got moved to 5:30 pm due to the oncoming storm. This was a last minute decision to attend and I bought tickets a few hours before the game on Stubhub. I got 2 tickets for $8 each which ended up being in row 10 on the 40 yard like directly behind the BC bench (my wife is a BC grad). Parking was $10 and I was within a few hundred yards of the stadium. Getting into and out of the parking was so easy, I am reminded of my 2 hour wait in line to park at last years Pitt - PSU game. The stadium is not on Wake's campus, but is a mile or two away and there are a number of Wake sports facilities in one spot (Basketball, Tennis and Baseball for sure). There was some tailgating, and the students were there, maybe not quite at gametime.
BB&T itself is an older Stadium, but has had major work over the past 20 years and is very nice. I think it holds about 40,000, not that many in attendance for this game. There are a number of chairback seats, and one end is a grass bowl where you can stand, sit, etc. They have a few food trucks in the stadium itself and they also serve beer. That was a very nice touch for a 5:30 pm game. Got a steakburger from a food truck and a draft Craft beer for about $20 and I was very happy.
Our seats were great, we were sitting next to a few BC parents which was fun. Not many people were in their seats at gametime, but it filled in pretty quickly to about 2/3rds full. It was clearly not Athens, Ga (my last game) as the coed talent was not plentiful.
Pregame and Halftime were not like Beaver Stadium. The Wake band is small and just not that good. They had some local dance team perform, it was painful.
The game itself was very entertaining. BC is good, very physical and the running back, Dillon is a stud. Wake run a very up tempo offense, 105 plays. Thats right 105 offensive snaps in a game without overtime.
Overall, a fun place, inexpensive and entertaining, but does not quite seem like the same product as football at the top schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News